• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Neville considered the questions of the Admiralty Chief.

“The money for the air group has been set aside. The estimates you gave me on when the new models will be available mean you should be able to begin training the new unit on them immediately. It would be uneconomical to bring them online and then have them retrain and reequip in six months time. And as you said, there is already a great backlog of units waiting for new equipment.”

He checked his notes before he continued, he knew the answer but he took his time in wording the response, “We are considering industrial expansion but no decisions have been made, however if we choose to go ahead our efforts will be focused in getting British people into jobs, not Indians. The other side of that is that trade must be encouraged. Spain is a market willing to take British goods. The Civil War may not be over officially but it is now a forgone conclusion that the Nationalists have won. We must put our confrontation with them in the past and build new links with the government of Spain.”

It was a complete reversal on the policy of Baldwin, and Neville was happy with it. He continued, “Our military is not what it once was, the Great War and the Depression has turned the world upside down in some regards. Until we can reassert our economic and military credentials we must shuck off gunboat diplomacy when dealing with other powers. To influence the Spanish or the Germans or even the Japanese we need to be their friends, to convince rather than force, and if they rely on our trade then coerce them financially rather than by the force of our guns.”

“Now, are there anymore questions? No? Good.” There probably were more questions but Neville was PM and a dismissal like that could not be ignored. He collected his papers and strode out of the room.

------------

OOC: OK, Horsy and Kingy are on board.

Horsy's the new Med Fleet Commander. Rank is approved and I'll post OOB soon..... promise!

Kingy has the fighter wing in Dover. Your fighter wing is currently Gloster Gladiators but they are in the queue for upgrades to Hurricane II's. Also, it is noted on your service file that you wish to be posted to the Middle East if a post becomes available.

Humpy, absolutely! I take it the quote is Neville's?

Addy, interesting questions. Do you have a sixth sence or was that you peaking through my window the other night? :D

General - We'll be moving through the new year period soon with a brief interlude in India and on into Jan and Feb. There are a couple of minor decisions to be made during that period but the crunch will come on 1 Feb 1937. Remember that date folks!

Duritz said:
OOC: Addy, interesting questions. Do you have a sixth sence or was that you peaking through my window the other night? :D

General - We'll be moving through the new year period soon with a brief interlude in India and on into Jan and Feb. There are a couple of minor decisions to be made during that period but the crunch will come on 1 Feb 1937. Remember that date folks!

OOC: Well part of it might be that we think alike on some issues, but IC and the result in Spain are the two biggest issues in the immediate future.

I like building factories, lots and lots of factories if possible, it usually works well with countries where I won't be fighting for awhile or won't have much to risk when war does come. Works with Britain to an extent also.

Spain however is a concern to me, it's getting to the point where I expect an Axis Nationalist Spain, or Germany intervening directly in the last stages of the SCW. Then our hand will be forced. :(

That and the FSL is looking out for his own. ;)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: Grand Admiral Wolfe
Subject: Re: The Future of the Service

Admiral,

I'm glad that you approve of the posting, though I'd watch out about the Scot comments, you never know who you might end up include in those comments. (OOC: not a repremand, just a kind warning)

If you want to, go ahead and head back home to check out on the situation there, I suspect the Admirals here have found out that I mean business. If Japan tries anything, whether against China or anyone else, let myself and the Prime Minister know ASAP.

Sir Thomas Wallace

PS: Until further notice, you are the Naval Theatre Commander of the Indan and Pacific Oceans. It's not much now, but I hope that will change before we need to use those forces.

OOC: On that note, I hope to get you a suitable flagship sooner or later. At least a Hermes-class Carrier.

To: Vice Admiral Alexander Stewart
Subject: Re: Arrival in Alexandria

Admiral,

I hope there isn't too much paperwork there, I know Vice Admiral Lyons of Task Force Lyons has been sending the primary commander in the Mediterranean (ie you, now) as well as the Admiralty reports on various activities in and around Spain. What you decide to do with this is up to you.

On your rank, should you prove yourself to be reliable, I think a promotion to Admiral might be in order, you're high enough on the list and have the record. Regardless of rank, you command the Mediterranean Theatre in Naval Operations, as is your position as the Fleet Commander of the Mediterranean Fleet.

Good luck for you, bad luck for our enemies.

Sincerely,

Sir Thomas Wallace
First Sea Lord

I would still like battleships, but carriers offer a better means to the end.

Sit Rep 11-12 December 1937

Please find details of our current situation and the effects of my recent decisions. All questions through my Private Secretary please.

Neville

The new Cabinet - stability is the Key to economic success!

The economic situation I inherited........

What I have been able to achieve in one day!

Our current research projects.

To: First Sea Lord
From: Grand Admiral Sir Clive Wolfe BSc SSc GSc [OCC: Bronze, Silver and Gold Swiming certificates :rofl: ]
Subject: Arival in Singapore

Sir, thank you for the change of climate, it will do the world of good. I am sorry that you took my Scott comment for anymore than the joke it was, I shall refrain from it in future. [OOC: geez :p Just dont team me up with a Frenchman :rofl: ]

Everythings quite out here to tell the truth, the Japanese have been bussy but I think they want to be big enough to take on the Americans and not us unless we get in the way.

Yours

Wolfey

[OOC: The Indian and Pacific!! :eek: I think for a flagship a Lion class?? :rolleyes:

(OOC: *Woot! 200th Post - First Lieutenant*)

To: First Sea Lord
Subject: Carrier Air Groups

I've heard of the new Illustrious-class carriers that will be done, in a considerable amount of time. The development would also mean, that a new form of Carrier Air Groups will be available. I write you this, to enquire about the priority of modernizing the current Air Groups attached to the Fleet Air Arm. It is the airplanes that make the Carriers the most devastating weapon on the sea, and I hope the First Sea Lord agrees with me, that, right now, the modernizing of the Carrier Air Groups has, in my opinion, a very high priority.

Also, the paperwork here isn't that bad, and I will do my best to prove my self, to First Sea Lord, the Admiralty, the King, and the Empire!

Yours faithfully,
Vice Admiral Alexander Stewart

"Mornin', Jack."

The ambassador looked a little surprised to see him. "Good Morning, Captain. What can I do for you?"

Straight to business. Sticks, if anything, loved efficiency. "I'm curious as to what these changes in British mean in the overall scheme of things."

Jack looked a bit surprised at the question. "Well, I think things overall will change very little. In a lot of ways this is no different than an election. While each party has its own minor differences things tend to not drastically change. I feel this will be no different. Why?"

It was Stick's turn to be surprised. "I just wondered if this was going to affect things for a military point-of-view."

The look on the ambassador's face told him he didn't quite believe that was the whole story, which was true. "You may see some additional buildup if that's what you mean though I think there is something else on your mind." He quickly turned the topic to him. "Things going okay on your end?"

Sticks realized he was as transparent as glass. He sighed before replying, "Not exactly."

"How so? I thought the meeting with the First Sea Lord went well."

Sticks nodded, "It did go well..."

"But?"

Sticks shook his head. "Exactly -- but. I need to be doing something, anything..."

Jack had a look on his face that would have given even the Privy Seal a moment of hesitation. "So go do it."

"What?!?" Sticks wasn't expecting that answer.

"Look, Andy. You sit around here waiting for something to happen and don't seem to realize that you can make something happen. Believe it or not, you are here for a reason and because someone thinks you'll do well here. This isn't a punishment posting at all, it's very prestigious and one of untold opportunity if one is bold. So be bold."

Sticks nodded, "You're right, of course, as usual."

Jack smiled, "I know but I've been at this a bit longer than you. I take it you're going to hit the yards then?"

Sticks laughed, "You know me well."

"You remind me a bit of me, so I know you somewhat. Some more advice for you, if you'll have it."

Sticks was all business again. "You haven't let me down yet, so say on."

Jack grabbed his chin as if in thought. "Go out and be seen. Join those circles you normally wouldn't. A foreign officer in uniform has a bit of allure and sometimes has more access than otherwise would be possible."

Sticks was alarmed. "Look, Jack, I don't want any..."

"No, no. You misunderstand me. The circles you seek are the upper echelon of society because they are the movers and shakers of their country. You're a novelty but a curiousity as well. Use that."

Sticks felt shocked. "It seems dishonest in a way but I see your point."

Jack gave Andy a big grin. "Such is the way of the world. Tonight there is an embassy function that you should attend. You can start there."

"Thanks, Jack. I owe you."

"You can start paying back that debt by closing the door on the way out. You West Virginians must think my office is a barn, always leaving the door open."

Sticks smiled and shut the door on the way out, leaving Jack alone. With him gone, Jack was able to focus on his actual thoughts and feelings. He poured himself a glass of something alcoholic and really thought about this new situation. 'Just how is this Neville character was going to run the Empire.' The news his sources had given him was not too promising from his point-of-view. A compromiser is what they said and Jack had a good feeling where that was going to lead in Spain and elsewhere. He took a sip of his drink and begin to prepare his briefing to the State Department.

OOC: Considering that the First Sea Lord trusts you, Braedy, that should help a bit.

To: Grand Admiral Wolfe
Subject: Re: Arrival in Singapore

Admiral,

No need to apologize, it's just that some people can't take a joke and have some thin skin. Even I, as a Scot and Irish (Protestant mind you), took what you said as a joke. It's a pity that grins and smiles don't translate across paper. (OOC: The FSL was grinning when sending off that message. :rofl: He can be rather wicked sometimes)

Enough with the that stuff, I believe the Japanese to be opportunistic, especially with a weak China, and a "reduced" United States, but most importantly, they need resources and any war they start will increase their needs dramatically. Keep this in mind as the Dutch East Indies might be a prime target.

Sincerely
Sir Thomas Wallace

PS: As far as I'm concerned, you can make fun of the American "Boy General." With that ego of his, he deserves it.

OOC: "Doug-out Doug" Douglas MacArthur FYI. ;) :rofl: As for you flagship, think Vanguard and you'll probably be closer.

To: Vice Admiral Stewart
Subject: Re: Carrier Air Groups

Unfortunately, you're probably right about the Illustrious-class Carriers, but they're better than the conversion carriers we already have (with exception to the HMS Hermes and HMS Ark Royal) and we'll need them. However there is no estimate at this time as to when all of our carriers will recieve fully modern air groups, though the Ark Royal will come with a fully modern air group.

Feel free to use that group for testing purposes and hope there's budget for bigger and better ships.

I'm glad that the paperwork isn't bad, and encourage you to prepare your command for the coming war, whenever that is.

Sincerely
Sir Thomas Wallace

OOC: P_K: Yeah, unfortunately the RAF needs to build up. Depending on what Dury does, the First Fighter Wing might be the first to fill itself up. Either way you'll get Hurricane Mk Is.

Humpy: Yeah, I want battleships too, there's only so long that our current crop can go, especially range-wise if we end up in a Pacific War.

edit: Oh and Kingy, RAF equivalent of Lt. General is Air Marshall. Thank god for Wikipedia.

Last edited:
Why the hell are we building a factory in Madras for?

Sir Humphrey said:

OOC: It was Formula51's idea, our three manufature programs were all based in India. Now that Neville is in charge (with trusty sidekick Dury :D ) these stupid ideas will cease...........

Kingy - As I said, you'll eventually get Hurr II's but our upgrade queue is overloaded at the moment so it will take a while. However, the first of the new fighter wings will go to you and they will be Hurr I's to begin with.

General - Upgrading Air Wings will happen once the Illustrious class research is completed but same deal as our fighters...... they'll be stuck in a queue. The Ark Royal is due for completion in Nov '37 but remember it is only a Level I carrier. Upon its completion the navy will have:
4 Level 2 (all based in the Fleet Air Arm at Alexandria)
3 Level 1 (2 based in TF Lyons at Gibraltar, and the Ark Royal which as yet is unattached)
At the moment all air groups are Level 3, the Ark Royal's air group should be Level 4 upon completion.

Sir Humphrey said:

OOC: It was Formula51's idea, our three manufature programs were all based in India. Now that Neville is in charge (with trusty sidekick Dury :D ) these stupid ideas will cease...........

Kingy - As I said, you'll eventually get Hurr II's but our upgrade queue is overloaded at the moment so it will take a while. However, the first of the new fighter wings will go to you and they will be Hurr I's to begin with.

General - Upgrading Air Wings will happen once the Illustrious class research is completed but same deal as our fighters...... they'll be stuck in a queue. The Ark Royal is due for completion in Nov '37 but remember it is only a Level I carrier. Upon its completion the navy will have:
4 Level 2 (all based in the Fleet Air Arm at Alexandria)
3 Level 1 (2 based in TF Lyons at Gibraltar, and the Ark Royal which as yet is unattached)
At the moment all air groups are Level 3, the Ark Royal's air group should be Level 4 upon completion.

17 December 1937
US Embassy function

The US Embassy was full of load mouth American businessmen but the food was excellent, the drinks plentiful and the Ambassador’s wife ensured that everyone had a wonderful evening. Sir Cyril wondered if American Ambassadors selected their wives from a special pool, he was yet to meet one that wasn’t well groomed, well dressed, gracious, and with a well developed sense of humour. He made a mental note to ask James exactly where he had met her…….

Before he could wade into the sea of people between himself and the Ambassador, the concierge came over with a message. After thanking him, Sir Cyril took a sip of his sherry before opening it.

“Not bad news I hope Sir?”

Sir Cyril was startled. He was engrossed in his message and had not noticed anyone approach him. He looked up from his message to be confronted with the pleasant and rather youthful features of the US Military Attaché. He smiled, trying to remember his name. “No it isn’t Captain Fitzpatrick. Just a routine message from my adjutant.”

By the look on the other’s face he’d guessed his name right, or this young Naval Officer was a better diplomat that his reputation gave him credit for. He finished reading the message before returning his attention to the Attaché, “It would seem that the 3rd Infantry Division has just completed their refit as planned.”

“The captain furrowed his brow, “Surely that’s not something urgent enough to interrupt your evening?”

Sir Cyril smiled at that, “Son, when you work as hard and as long as I have for something to happen you want to keep a close eye on it.”

“I suppose so, but surely if everything was proceeding to plan….”

“Then it is far more important to continue checking it. I’d much rather be interrupted for two minutes during dinner to be told everything is fine than woken in the morning to an absolute mess. Much like a naval ship closes up to action stations at dawn and dusk each day, regardless of whether they are in a combat situation or not. Checking equipment regularly means there are no ugly surprises later. Why should I be any less vigilant with administrative matters? If everything isn’t done correctly in peacetime, how can we expect optimum performance in times of war? Detail is important.” he had almost started on a lecture and realised that the Captain wasn't deserving of one, he chided himself for his error. The Captain did not usually attend these events and Sir Cyril started to wonder exactly why he was here tonight.

Sir Cyril took another sip of his sherry as he thought the problem over, “But tips on work ethic wasn’t why you sought me out tonight. How can I help you this evening Captain?” he smiled lightly as he waited for the Captain to respond……….

You mean the ark royal is not or the "ark Royal Class"? Shit, oh well. They were crazy days back then. Is India part of our national provinces? If it isn't, don't we get soem kind of penalty because its not part of our cores or soemthing?

Don't know about that penalty thing..... anyway won't be happening from now on.