• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So I conquered a province next to New Portugal with my army and then continued colonizing around then, assuming they would take custody of the province I took. Instead what happened was a new CN broke off and took my province, but all the provinces in the new CN have 75% autonomy. What the heck happened? I just wanted to make NP bigger.

So I conquered a province next to New Portugal with my army and then continued colonizing around then, assuming they would take custody of the province I took. Instead what happened was a new CN broke off and took my province, but all the provinces in the new CN have 75% autonomy. What the heck happened? I just wanted to make NP bigger.

You must have conquered in a different colonial region. Check the colonial region map mode, only territories in those regions will go to those CNs.

Ok so i figured out that the autonomy is because they put their capital on an island super far away from the rest of their provinces. I didn't even realize the island didn't belong to me. I don't imagine there is any way to move their capital to somewhere that makes sense? How is a CN's capital picked?

I would say it has 75% autonomy because you concquered it and it was of course overseas until it formed a new CN. Because as far as i know colonial regions cant be on 2 different continents, right? It doesnt matter that the capital is on an island as long as its the same continent.

Does the 75% decrease for your CN? Because then it is as i said. If you already have a CNand they get land it will have 0%. But if it first belongs to you and the CN forms after a while it will have 75% which slowly decreases.

Ok so i figured out that the autonomy is because they put their capital on an island super far away from the rest of their provinces. I didn't even realize the island didn't belong to me. I don't imagine there is any way to move their capital to somewhere that makes sense? How is a CN's capital picked?

A CNs capital is placed on the highest base tax province upon formation, so far as I can tell. Can you post a screenshot?

B0FB2C0D22223072ED4C7930A353F498F8E9C6C8

Their capital is on the island at the bottom of the screen.