• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Day Man

Second Lieutenant
7 Badges
Oct 25, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
Hello

I was wondering if anyone could give some tips in detail on how to take Russia to the number one spot with the latest patch.

Thank you.

Not so hard....

Well the game uses 3 rankings Prestige Industrial Score and military score.

It is quite easy to have top ranking to all 3 scores by the end of the game.

Your literacy sucks. But you have Intelecia school of research that gives bonus to culture.

Withing the first 10 years of the game by uses your National focus on your most populated areas your clergy percentage should reach 1.5%

Set your educational spending to 100% and administration spending to 79% of the game... the spending rates should be kept at these rates for most if not all the game... (Pro players may twick them a bit at their lessure still it is questionable if the will gain anything by their experiements)

Anyway you want to score No 1 in prestige.... all you need to gain is Africa.

To do that you need to demand tripoli and lybian coast from the ottoman empire when you win them in war.

Getting the suez canal as yours will also help in colonizing africa...

But most of all if you ever have war with UK or France at the start of the game and you have a bit of a warscore against them demand from them a colony in africa.... Ghana in particular french or english makes little difference... it will cost only 3 warscore.... and 10 infamy points if you dont have a casus beli.

If you get Tripoli Ghana and the suez canal and rush the machine guns tech you can colonize the whole african coastline and block other powers from gaining it.

I have managed to take ALL african colonizable provices exept 3-5 of them (2 of them in south africa 2 of them near liberia and and one more in central africa,

It is a coast provice that is blocked by 2 nearby coastal provices... therefore it doesnt hurt your blocking efforts if you fail to get it... get the nearby first!

Now about industrial score..... You have enough population to build a workforce of the No1 industrial nation.

Health care reforms should be passed in about the 1860-1870 era....

To ensure a market for your products you should take china in your sphere at the start of the game.

Japan Korea Siam should follow china....

If you ever find yourself in a winnable war with the UK in the early years of the game after you get a foothold in Ghana.... you should demand Singapore at the price of 10 warscore and 10 infamy if you lack a casus beli.

That will cause a serious shortage of rubber in the modern industry era of the game.

Try to get Brazil in your sphere too.... they produce rubber too and and you can never have too many buyers of your products.

Either the manpower advatage or the rubber shortage in the world market can make you No1 industrial power in the game.. with a bit of a luck in casus belis you might achive both edges in the game.

To became No1 military power you dont have to build much of an army... all you have to do is build dreadnaughts....

In the 1880 you should have researched all the culture techs available for their time( you may skip the prestige ones.. they are rather useless if you gain the whole of africa I research them thought!!!)

Restore the academia then after you are finised with thme and research the much needed industrial techs Electricity and combustion engine.

Once you get those try the naval techs the first 3 coloums they give you the best possible dreadnoughts....

When they are finished research the 1900s culture techs and change to military-industrial complex.

Get the much needed military and industrial techs( you should have researched only machine guns until that time)

Gongratulations you No1 in Prestige Industry and military score... However I have to admit that if you didnt get lucky with the casus belis early in the game it is a rather boring game.

(Keep prussia and Austria at bay by having good relations at the whole game... ally them too if you manage)

The greatest challenge for me when I play russia is to increase their literacy rating....

The strategy described above gives a literacy rating in the 80s% at the end of the game.... my record is 88% failed to get it above 90 so far.....

If playing a Great Power like Russia, I would want to try to set harder goals than a #1 in Industry, Military, and Prestige. It's all too easy for Russia to game all those scores. Largest civilized nation for building a bazillion factories? Check. For fielding a large army and funding a very large "rotting dreadnought" army? Check. Able to get as many national focus as they like by 1870 for colonizing, thus able to position themselves for the massive prestige boost from taking Africa... and then, for that matter, Oceania and the territories of the Arctic Circle? Check, check, check.

Try eliminating the UK, France, and USA by 1935 for a real challenge... if you can stand the doomstack management. Welcome to the communist revolution, comrades! :p