• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

FylkirAaron

Private
1 Badges
May 24, 2020
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
I can only get 152 of 340 votes for a crown authority increase. All of my vassal kings and queens are for, but many chiefs and high chiefs under them and me refuse to vote even with 100 opinion. They aren't fighting wars either, just hostile due to raiding on a few.

Buy favours on them and force them to vote your way.

Since OP is talking about needing >340 votes, he's probably not using Conclave. Favors are only available in Conclave.

@OP: Sad to say, but the Conclave DLC is almost a must-buy for CK2 IMO. Once you turn it on, you will only need 3-4 votes (ie. the majority of your council) to pass laws. These 3-4 votes can be bought using favors, if necessary. (Or, if you become an absolute monarch, you won't need any votes at all.)

• 1Like
Reactions:
I can't, I'm not using Conclave in this playthrough.

Well, you could perhaps cheese the system by creating additional empire titles:
  • Don't be gavelkind
  • Create an empire title
  • See if you can change the laws in your original empire. (If not, create another empire.)
  • Destroy all non-primary empire titles.
This will obviously cost piety, gold and vassal opinion - and you'll probably have to put down a civil war or two as a result - but it's probably worthwhile for the long-term gain.

(I'm assuming you're an empire because you have 340 voting vassals. If you're somehow still a king, you could do this with kingdoms instead.)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, you could perhaps cheese the system by creating additional empire titles:
  • Don't be gavelkind
  • Create an empire title
  • See if you can change the laws in your original empire. (If not, create another empire.)
  • Destroy all non-primary empire titles.
This will obviously cost piety, gold and vassal opinion - and you'll probably have to put down a civil war or two as a result - but it's probably worthwhile for the long-term gain.

(I'm assuming you're an empire because you have 340 voting vassals. If you're somehow still a king, you could do this with kingdoms instead.)
I didn't know gavelkind was an issue, I can't change it right now either because my vassals have about 8 intervassal wars going on(same old, same old). I have absolute-cognative elective gavelkind right now.

My primary empire is Scandinavia and secondary is Britannica? Would destroying the title of Britannica make changing laws doable?

I own conclave but it knocks my demesne size down and I'd need to do 5 different law changes and get Majesty V(+1000 tech points away) before I could get to external vassal wars law. It looks good but it would be a major headache to change over at this point.

That fixed it. I never read anything before this about gavelkind messing with crown authority votes. They will need a civpedia ingame for stuff like this.

I'm at high crown authority now but it doesn't seem to stop wars in my realm. I just had a queen vassal start a de jure claim war to take one of my temple vassals again, had to rely on peace/request because I can't fight my own vassals...

Gavelkind is only a problem because you cannot destroy gavelkind titles.

The workaround/cheese I described above was a way of changing which vassals were eligible to vote for crown law changes in your primary title. You were very close to 50%, so I was betting that if you removed a load of vassals (by putting them in another empire), the ratio might be just above 50% - and this would allow you to pass the law change. However, if you do this under gavelkind, you can't destroy the newly-created empire(s), so you will have to deal with a split realm on succession.

On the other hand, you're elective gavelkind and were able to create a new empire, so you would have had a split succession anyway. So there's actually no disadvantage in creating the additional empire titles a bit early.

I think it actually did have an effect on voting though. I was only able to get less than half(it scaled no matter how many titles I made) so I could never get it passed. I switched to elective monarchy and it passed after 10 days easy.

I think it actually did have an effect on voting though. I was only able to get less than half(it scaled no matter how many titles I made) so I could never get it passed. I switched to elective monarchy and it passed after 10 days easy.

Your succession law has an effect on your vassals' opinions of you. Under elective gavelkind, they *might* inherit, so they like you better.

Your succession law has an effect on your vassals' opinions of you. Under elective gavelkind, they *might* inherit, so they like you better.
The lowest vassal opinion who was against the law was 98 though. Most of them had opinions of 100 towards me due to long rule, diplomacy, and culture traits before I even switched to elective monarchy.

The lowest vassal opinion who was against the law was 98 though. Most of them had opinions of 100 towards me due to long rule, diplomacy, and culture traits before I even switched to elective monarchy.

Then I guess the important thing is that, somehow, it worked. Probably best not to worry too much about exactly why...