• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow.

WiF is really impressive, ain't it?

VoxToxLox said:
His soul however is not allowed to pass to the underworld. He must complete his duties first.

:rofl: :rofl:

Best part. What a shame that you lost Sardinia. Guess Benito should've invested more in a navy. And is the German AI attempting a Sea Lion there or is it just a regular navy battle? I hope you can strike back at the British enough, enough to even take Egypt.

yeah

Carlito Gambino said:
Guess Benito should've invested more in a navy.

really looking like the naval game didn't work out for him. what was the regia marina doing all that time that huge field-sized army was being stockpiled in malta? Dio mio! those transports should have been intercepted and sent to the bottom!

it is not looking good...

bal

italo balbo is your master

Build Naval Bombers! The Brits are getting too annoying. Good move against Switzerland, they were asking for it with all that... neutrality :D

Nothingness

Unfortunately I forgot to turn on ati tray tools before the game, which means that from oct 1940 to apr 1941 there are no screens. So Ill just take you through what happened without any nonsense.

I conquered Greece

LALAL0.jpg

And retook Sardinia

LALAL1.jpg

Sounds good right? Well.. heres Egypt

LALAL2.jpg

To any non-WiF player this looks like a "hahaha, give me two minutes and Ill have half of the british army surrounded and destroyed" situation.
Not so.

But worst of all..

AOIAOIS.jpg

They took Sicily!!
The invasion was insane, they came at both beaches simultaneously! When does the AI ever do that? ... thats WiF for you. Besides the two garrisons I had an infantry division there just for this situation.. and they just laughed at it.

So its 1940 and Ive become a liability to Germany, just like in history.

LALAL4.jpg

The brits are fully '41, impossible to win with a 39 army.. so my tanks have to go on hold.

Some of the action:

LALAL5.jpg

Im gonna win right?

LALAL6.jpg

Yeees!

LALAL7.jpg

Maybe?

LALAL8.jpg

No.

DvD-IT: Research isnt that bad, it takes long, yes, but germany gets industrial blueprints from Me! I think I gave them improved infatry division too..

The Balbinater: :D Balbo was a mere pawn, and if pawns talk back they get shot in the back from a cruiser.

Faeelin: I thought WiF was bad during my last game.. but this is just.. damn!

Carlito Gambino: This sould anwser your question:

AOOOOO.jpg

oh and

AOOO.jpg

So yes.. their strategy was to land on every single british beach en masse and hope that one of the garrisons runs out of ammo.

The Balbinater (second post): The regia marina sales only in a tight 18 ship formation. Anything less would be too much of a hassle. And when the 3 CV brit shows up they go: "ITS A TRAP!" and flee.

Winner: (swiss) :D but I built naval bombers (have 6) and they were problably my greatest waste of money. I thought theyd be sinking CV after CV like in vanilla HOI, but not at all. Couldve used them to sink convoys, but you know.. that so much hassle.

Last edited:
unfreakinbleveable

VoxToxLox said:
They took Sicily!!

omg, balbo is rolling in his grave right now...

SAY IT ISN'T SO!

bal

The Desert Took Our Sons

1941 the war had been rough. Italy had had its moments, defeating the much hated french, annexing Switzerland and conquering Greece. Yet now they were fighting in a worthless desert as if there was gold beneath it. And worst of all.. we'd lost part of the motherland.

010.jpg

But even with this hostile army at our gates the peninsula wasnt in real danger. To cross the strait one would require an overwhelming numerical superiority. The allies had had this only for a short time, before 6 aplini divisions arrived in the last moment. Then germans had started pouring in and as one side brought more reinforcements, so would the other, but fighting - no, theyd learning something from ww1.

And so Reggio di Calabria had become a big vacationing site. There were germans everywhere, everyone taking it easy.

Franz's day (an anonymous private) is composed of taking a joyride with a SdKfz 250, picking up chicks, hitting the beach, taking a few beers and grilling sausages.

Meanwhile Piero is dehydrated and bleeding. Still he gets up and mans the machine gun, taking out any brit that dare come near the trenches. Its Pieros girlfriend on the beach with Franz, eating his sausage..

What Mussolini fears most is how Sicily is going to be afte the reconquista. Coke bottles everywhere, hambu- no.. tea cups laying around, a pub on every corner. He shivers in disgust.

While the war goes forward:

011.jpg

Australians land in Libya, thinking if they could take Bengazi, then they sure as hell take Tripoli.

012.jpg

But once again its a distraction for something more important..

013.jpg

Our famed airforce get booted from the eastern skies

014.jpg

But bombers are able to make short work of the anzacs.

015.jpg

Just as Libya seems safe the britons introduce us to a new principle of theirs "Leave no australian behind"

016.jpg

And the humiliated fascists are forced to make the desert their home.

017.jpg

The combined brit-australian force soon makes it to the real war. And with great reason it seems, they must have the supplies, that the egyptian army needs.

We do everything to stop them from linking up

018.jpg

First Graziani launches a massive offensive

019.jpg

and when hes exhausted Pintor takes over.

0110.jpg

The brits are forced to pay for their arrogance.. thinking theres no point in sending supplies all the way to alexandria "well just link with the tripoli force."

020.jpg

We gain our first true victory in the desert, taking almost 10 divisions prisoner.

021.jpg

While in eastern europe the germans are doing pretty well.

Mussolini is extremely embarrassed, that they must do so without a whole army. But the local commander in Italy assures him its "No problem, no problem at all" and splashes into the sea.

The Balbinater: I believe it was Balbo who convinced Mussolini: "We no need a secure beach. Bring in mia bombars and buum-buum - theyra gone!" ;)

Fernando Torres: Cool! I didnt even plan it as a comedy. But I think it shows pretty well how WiF is sooo much better than the vanilla game. And what is paradox thinking, releasing petty stuff like armageddon!

Oh and if youre all ready sick of the desert fighting then stop reading. Theres a lot and lot of that to come.

This AAR is funny as hell!
Gonna read all of it.

Just keep updating :D

This part :

Franz's day (an anonymous private) is composed of taking a joyride with a SdKfz 250, picking up chicks, hitting the beach, taking a few beers and grilling sausages.

Meanwhile Piero is dehydrated and bleeding. Still he gets up and mans the machine gun, taking out any brit that dare come near the trenches. Its Pieros girlfriend on the beach with Franz, eating his sausage..

What Mussolini fears most is how Sicily is going to be afte the reconquista. Coke bottles everywhere, hambu- no.. tea cups laying around, a pub on every corner. He shivers in disgust.

was just AWESOME.

No, seriously, i lack the words...it's really a great AAR, keep up the good work ! :)

Nice.
The color scheme sucks though.
Sorry Fernando.

I see now. Strange for the AI actually to create transports, I rarely see 'em build, and even more rarely see 'em used for amphibious assaults. I hope you can take care of Sicily. If only in honor of my ancestors.

ColossusCrusher said:
Nice.
The color scheme sucks though.
Sorry Fernando.

Damn, everyone's hating on the color scheme! Frankly, it looks 100x better than the retro 70's techno colors that Vanilla has. ("What color is the UK?" "See that hot pink?" "Yea?" "That's them" "What about Italy" "See that lime green?" "Yea" "That's them")

Good updates. Something tells me the annoying breakthroughs and back-door landings aren't going to stop. :rolleyes:

Hell Continued

In light of the new developments Mussolini calls The Three (Graziani-Pintor-Vercellino) to Rome.

"Gentlemen, I could congratulate you, but what has been accomplished really? After a year of fighting we are back where we started! Now.. I want the british out of Egypt and out of Cicily. How are you going to accomplish it?"

Pintor steps forward:
"We will assault the enemy positions with overwhelming force."
"Was that not what Graziani did the previous year? And where did it-"
"Graziani? Hmph. My troops are disciplined, experienced and motorized, not a bunch of girly men."
Graziani: "Hey!"
"We will push through and cut down the enemy like none before us."

Mussolini is impressed by Pintors ferocity and authorizes the offensive

022.jpg

which is a successful one, and Pintor sees himself as the first general of Italy

023.jpg

that is until the allies bring in their reserves.

With the offensive botched The Three are once again called to Rome.

"This isnt working, we have to try something other than this!" Mussolini exclaims.
Again it is Pintor who steps forward:
"Yes, once the men are rested we will aga-"
"No, something new!"
"Yes, will attack again, anew!"

(sigh)

"Does anyone have anything?"
And Vercellino speaks for the first time:
"I know excatly what must be done: first we kidnap their children and-"
"Anyone? Graziani, youre a bright lad, give me something."

"Look.. all this time weve been fighting in the north of the desert, for obvious reasons of course. But should our special forces move through the south undetected and get behind enemy lines, we just might be able to cut them off."

And his plan, as the only sane one, goes into action.

Meanwhile Churchill it seems is having the same talk with his generals, becaus their Egypt Army is now commanded by a new man, Dill they call him.

024.jpg

Our intelligence doenst have much on him, just that hes a talented, frugal leader, but some of our veterans who fought against his divisions have more vivid details: "His men, they do not wash their teeth, they do not wash their clothes.. they eat things.. that farm animals wouldent.. I.." the soldier isnt able to continue.

025.jpg

The madman has begun an offensive of his own and does not notice our motorized-commando combined force slipping through the southern deserts.

032.jpg

We give ground without too much fight, let him think hes surrounding us, when he himself is the one to be surrounded.

027.jpg

All the while our secret army conducts its surprise attack.

030.jpg

The brits still have no idea what going on, they think its just a bombing campaign and they.. really hurt our airforce. Those guys can be mean.

033.jpg

Soon Graziani is only inches away from his goal

034.jpg

a few inches too many

035.jpg

with his force battered

044.jpg

and pushed back

The Three are in Rome, again.. trying to think of something new.

Admiral Yamamot & Fernando Torres: :) thanks.

Middelkerke: No, just some motorized corps and I dont think they have any more to spare.

ColossusCrusher: The brit color isnt pretty, but otherwise I prefer this over vanilla. Much less eye pain.

Carlito Gambino: In my last game the brits dropped paratroops in Reggio di Calabria, next day 12 divisions there. Next week 30 US divisions in Greece. So yes, WiF AI uses transports, with a real navy Id problably sunk 30something. I think Germany tried a Sealion here, but +60 ships is still absurd. They arent cheap at all.

VoxToxLox said:
We gain our first true victory in the desert, taking almost 10 divisions prisoner.

the battle of mechili will long be remembered!

we NEED a follow-up victory!!!

btw, have you built the folgore division? vertical envelopement doctrine, baby!!!

use a combined land/paradrop...

bal

Aaah ... reminds me of my WiF-Italy game.
It was ugly :D

The colors for Portugal, Japan, Turkey and some others, well, they just look diseased...:(