• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahzah!

HAHZAH! For the FAN!

And that will be 10,000 rubles for use of the image there Reni!

I fully agree with Reni's choice, coz1 has been most encouraging to me as I start my first AAR.

Thank you all once again for the very kind words. But I am not the only fan around here so it is time to pass it on. So, without further waiting, let us pass the fan onto...wait a minute...I have to find it first...lessee...ah, here we go

flan.jpg
No, no, no...that's flan...sorry about that...keep digging...

sportsfan.jpg
Oh hell, that's the wrong kind of fan...one more pass...ah, that's it...

fan.jpg
A proper fan for you...Stuyvesant! If there is a better one around, I'm not sure who it might be. Now when can we expect that magnum opus from you, sir?

CongAARatulations, Stuyvesant!

I do seem to see you all over, Sir!

And besides, I like Dutch names... If you couldn't tell.

Rensslaer

Very well deserved.

In honor of the great MrT, onetime frequenter of these parts, I have written a inordinately long post, one that would befit a man of his stature. Although he would have used more complicated words. Purely to honor one of the forum greats. Well, that, or I simply got carried away...:rolleyes:

What can I say, AARland is like a candystore to me. Except that it’s free. And there are no wailing little kids getting their snotty fingers all over the candy. Or whining to their mommies that they really NEED two pounds of everything (although you might say that our cries for “Updates!” sometimes border on the whiny)...

But anyway, candystore. I remember stumbling onto these forums after reading a review for the original EU, that included a reference to the thriving community. The game sounded great, and all the stories created on the forums made it seem even better. I bought EU as soon as I could find it. Never really played it much, because I had a chance to buy EU2 shortly thereafter. And while I made my first tentative steps with that game (a GC as Byzantium, hardly original), I became more and more immersed in what, at the time, simply was the EU forum. I eventually registered (an attempt to join in on one of MrT’s notorious “drunken gaming” AARs: of course that didn’t work, as it took a few days for the registration process to complete, by which time MrT presumably was finally getting over a monumental hangover). So instead I made my first post in Heagarty’s Gluttonic Knights AAR. I liked his story. I commented thusly. I got a response from Heagarty himself! I thought that was pretty awesome!

Roughly a thousand posts later, I still think so today. There are so many different styles of writing out there, covering so many different places, times, outlooks... There’s always something new, something fresh, covering a new period in history or some unknown corner of the world. And what makes it even better, you have the chance to communicate with the authors as they go along! Often even while they’re playing the game. That interaction, with the story, with the game, with the author about his or her intentions, is what makes this place so great. That, and of course the incredibly friendly atmosphere.

AARland is a wonderful place, for fans of historical writing as much as for writers. As a fan, you get access to all these people from all over the world, with their wonderful stories and their often amazing understanding of their material. And they’re more than happy to listen and respond to your comments, from the simple “attaboy” to the complex question why they choose to portray something in that particular way. It’s very gratifying.

It has often been said that AARland works as a writer’s workshop, helping aspiring writers to hone their craft. I would say it is as much a reader’s workshop, as you get an in-depth look and expert feedback on what an author is trying to establish. I honestly think that reading AARs for the past 2.5 years has given me a better understanding of the inner workings of a story.

Obviously, as a fan, I have favorite authors, whose stories, feedback and general interaction have made my stay at the Paradox Forums so much fun (not to mention time-sapping): Storey, Heagarty, Director, coz1, Gjerg Kastrioti, Stroph1, CatKnight, Paranoid Tsar... I could easily double this list and still leave off too many people to mention. So rather than pointing to any author in particular, I will just finish by saying that, even more than the stories, it’s the people here who make the Forums great. Thank you all for making it that way. While it’s not my place to say whether I’m a great fan, I can certainly say that this is a great place to be a fan of.

Congratulations, Stuyvesant! This is indeed very well deserved. :) For my part the feeling's mutual. There are times my story's turned or gained a chapter based on what you and other readers thought needed dealing with. (So they think THIS is the logical result? Hmm..okay.) Your comments have always been most welcome and AARland has few greater fans.

Congratulations, and your post was superb. :)

Time to pass on the torch. Before I do so, I'd like to quote stnylan. Many of you are familiar with the phrase he has in his sig: "To view is human, to comment is divine". Very true, and it pretty much sums up what being a fan is all about. Today, however, I'd like to quote another, lesser-known, statement by him, from earlier in this very same thread, upon nominating a successor to be Fan of the Week:
Unfortunately there will be no pictoral representation - I have all the image-posting skills of a fossilised oak tree.
Hey! If it's good enough for stnylan, who's written multiple AARs and generally has been active on these Boards since forever, it has got to be good enough for me. So, um, no, I won't be posting a picture of a fan. I'm clueless.

But on to the more important issue here, the election of the next Fan of the Week. There are, undoubtedly, many people who deserve this honor. I admit briefly toying with the idea of nominating Storey again, but since he already has had two nods, there are more urgently worthy people. :) Then there are several people who I think leave wonderfully detailed comments, but whose apperances are limited to only one forum. Me, I'd encourage everyone to cast their glance wider and to sample every AAR forum available. Which lead to another bunch of people being marked off my shortlist. Eventually, after some deliberation, I settled the matter. The person I've selected as the next Fan of the Week has the following qualifications:

1. He has his own AAR, but still finds a lot of time to comment on other people's works.
2. A quick scroll through his most recent postings history reveals an emphasis on Victoria, but also posts in the EU2 and CK AAR forums. As well as a plethora of posts in the AARs and Fanfiction - General Discussions section.
3. Finally, he recently resurrected the Fan of the Week award.

So come on down and take a bow, Rensslaer! Everyone, join me in a round of applause for the man!

Congratulations, Rensslaer! I have to admit I haven't read your AAR yet, but I have noticed a lot of thoughtful comments sprinkled around the AAR forums. And, as I mentioned above, I discovered you are very active in the general discussion forums. It seems clear that, besides a writer, you are also a first-rate fan of these Boards.

PS: before anyone starts a malicious rumor :)p), Renss' nomination has nothing, repeat NOTHING, to do with the fact that he made a comment about my user name. Or the fact that he, like me, has a Dutch-sounding user name. Just thought I'd clear that up in advance. :)

EDIT: Oops! I completely forgot to thank all the kind people leaving kind words around here. So in order of appearance: coz1, Rensslaer, Director, stnylan, CatKnight, Oranje Verzet (Leve de Koningin!), Sir Humphrey, thank you all very much. I appreciate it.
- Stu :)

Last edited:
Well, Stuyvesant - you've done me a great service. I was considering Renss last week but thought it might look too cliquish if I chose him after him choosing me. Not that you aren't worthy (because you are infinitely so - thus the pick), but I too was impressed with him digging up this old and wonderful thread. So for that, and your outstanding accepting post - thank you, sir! And fear not if you have not the visual ability to represent the fan. I'm sure another out there has one they might serve up for Renss. :D (Sadly, I think I've used up my quota for pictorial ability at present or I would offer it.)

Now on to Renss - such a worthy recipient and a wonderful fan of these forums and AARs, which some might claim are one and the same. I think a brief perusal of the area in which you found this thread would spell differently. This man has done a wonderful job of joining the group and doing his part to be not just a player but a follower of many other great works and projects. I have followed his AAR since day 1 (or 2 possibly - if so, forgive me, sir.) And I have seen him grow to include himself in as much was possible given his own personal project - that of starting a newspaper. Not an easy task. But he has done so and still finds time to be a part, and an integral part (if I may say so) of this group of ours.

Congrats, Renss. You are truly a fan! Now someone step up and present one to him...please!

P.S. - Stuyvesant - you still did not suggest when we might see some of your own work. It shall be something I pester you about when we meet next week! ;)

Stuyvesant, thank you very much!

I was actually a little surprised, because (especially before) I was never much of a commenter... most of what I read back when I was at the beginning, or the middle, but nowhere near to finishing, so I often withheld my comments. Lately I've had more time to read, and comment. And I've also taken a bit of inspiration from Coz in encouraging the new writAARs. It's really good to see there are still new writers, even for the older games. The AAR showcase and the WritAAR of the Week threads also have been attracting my attention to a number of gems in all the fora, which I've enjoyed reading.

I've also been spreading myself around because I recently got EUII -- looking for some of the AARs which would inspire me to write and/or teach me to play!

In my reading I've sure come across a lot of really good writing and really interesting gaming! I rarely get this opportunity, so... Since I've been pegged as a fan, perhaps I'll spread the breeze from the fan around a little and let you know some of the things on my reading shelf! :D

First, some of the people who I enjoyed a year ago and are still here... Coz1 has some incredible stuff -- I'm caught up on Into the West, and catching up on For the Glory of Persia (both Vicky). Heretic has been quiet lately, but his unique Crown of Ice and Snow and his older Venezuelan Bolivar II (both Vicky) were always well thought out and cleverly executed.

I haven't gotten to read TekCor's newer stuff. And didn't get to comment much on his old string of Vicky AARs, but he's got a great playing and writing style. I couldn't comment on them because he was so rapid and concise that by the time I got caught up on one, he was done and on to the next one! :)

Recently, I've been keeping up on Mike von Bek's Bride of my Constant Desire (brilliantly executed Oman campaign in Vicky), Stnylan's In Memory of France (EUII), Draco Rexus' For God and Country (HOI2), Prussiablue's Dutch Fortune Favor the Brave (Vicky), Hajii Giray's Hussite Lament (EUII), Verenti's Barrett's Privateers (Vicky), Elias Tarfarius' Oesterreich Uber Alles (EU II), and N.A. Kireevskiy's The Idea of Russia (Vicky) have all kept my attention and keep me looking for more. BBBD's EUII Annexing story is bizarre, but interestingly done! Shawng1 is not around (much) anymore, but I'm enjoying reading a couple of his EUII stories, including his Brandenburger A Vision of Glory. The AAR Showcase turned me on to Alhazen's Sins of the Father, a CK Apulia campaign.

There's a new writer, St. Fenix, whose Scimitar in the Sand Afghan AAR (Vicky) is worth checking out and commenting on. A young writer, but with great promise, I think!

I admit to lurking through some which I'm not quite through.. Seidita, El Presidentse, Anonymous, and others are all great writers, but I haven't completed their works yet.

There are some authors who have been around a while but whose work I'm just starting to read, but with the intent to catch up and read all... Mettermrck has a series of AARs that are all of excellent quality! And I'm just getting into Director's stories, too. And I was impressed to be instantly drawn in by Catknight's American Resurrection & Rebirth! (EU II)

And there are yet some folks who I know I should read but I haven't had the chance yet... Yogi, Frogbeastegg... and plenty of others who come highly recommended, not without excellent reasons!

Anyway... Please, continue "fanning the flames" of authorship by reading and commenting on these great works! Stop by mine, too! I've got Fire Warms the Northern Lands (Vicky) up to 1881 now, and going at a much improved pace. I've also got one other started -- Castles in the Sky, a Vicky mod about Alexander Hamilton's western paradise -- and have another couple in mind. I hope to soon start an EU II adventure called Bearing Witness.

My apologies to anyone whose links I messed up or missed! And I know I've missed some great work. There are so many gifted writers here!

Enjoy your trip, Stuyvesant! We'll see you when you get back!

Rensslaer

Last edited:
Hmm...looks like a three man clique to me... :mad:

:) I'm kidding of course. Well done, and well deserved Rennslaer! For all the reasons Stuyvesant suggested and more. You leave very insightful, detailed comments that make a writer think about what he's saying and how to convey it. I, for one, certainly appreciate that kind of feedback. Sometimes it helps to know what misfired just as much as what seems to be going well.

I think I might have drifted by your AAR very early on. Regardless, I know it's been a bit so now I have some catching up to do. That's what I enjoy about these awards, you're almost certain to find a new gem.

Well done!

Congratulations Stuyvesant. Keep it up.

First, I want to thank all the "fans of fans" who have dropped by to congratulate me! I appreciate it!

Next, it is always a pleasure to pass on an award to a deserving recipient!

There is a fellow here who has, for at least the past year, been a faithful commenter in my AAR and others, constantly providing that reliable feedback that all writers thrive upon.

And I know he's having an inspirational influence for us, because I do see him all over -- not just reading and commenting on many AARs in the Vicky forum, but in other fora too.

His posts come in two forms, I have noticed -- the expressions of enthusiastic encouragement, which are always great to have, and the insightful questions which make one stop and think! Those are great too.

And one of these days, if we're all really encouraging in return, maybe we can convince him to start his own AAR!

I've googled the Web and found a unique fan (it IS a fan, really!) called the Ghost Fan.

tamarackghost.jpg

This week's Fan of the Week is Ghostwriter! Congratulations! Please step on up and feel the breeze! :cool:

Rensslaer

Last edited:
Excellent pick Renss. Congratulations Ghostwriter.

I know from experience that Ghostwriter is a very dedicated fan. :cool:

GhostWriter was too kind to me and my AARs. I do think this award is quite fitting.

Ahh...congrats, GhostWriter! A true fan, indeed. I can always count on support when I ever get around to updating my AAR. A very deserving acknowledgment!!

Speech, Speech!!

Status
Not open for further replies.