Fallout's Doomsday 2.5.1.2 for Darkest Hour (latest release: 22-04-2023)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Maybe to help FUSA tone down the "Lure of Darkness" events?The marauders spawned through these destroyed both the Washington garrison and even the "Big Red One" division in Baltimore. Also the Marauders from Norfolk basically open up a third front taking over the South while FUSA fights Junkers+DC.

Also, FUSA scenario description and opening events speak of Boston/Worcester/Hartford being lost to Rad-Zombies in 2227, but are under FUSA control at gamestart. This is another problem because DC can easily captures those provinces giving them VP+IC.
I have a file you can try.
Adds a couple of extra garrisons and tweaks the FUSA start forces a little.
Let me know if it helps.

Attachments

• scenarios.zip
    3,8 KB · Views: 42
Reactions:
What would be the requirements then? If the Pitt DOWs FUSA, it's unlikely that they won't get some land. How much land (or which provinces) would need DK to be considered to have won the civil war? And the aftermath? I ignore if DK would be able to defeat the Junkers right off the bat.

Honestly, I almost don't use the traits. I see little value in them to be worth it most of the time. For instance:
- Alluring could be useful if the AI bothered to DOW more often. However, it's constant drain of supplies can get annoying (or even break you)
- Secretive is almost useless. Random increments in dissent (bad) in exchange for better spies. The defence part see very little use (IA), and there are just so many places worth to steal blueprints from. If you already had a technological edge, this becomes worse than useless (downside for no gain)
- Warlike cripples your research in exchange for faster unit buildings. It mostly useful for those factions with little to research in the first place. I rarely play those.
- Wise... not sure. I'm still divided if the loss on combat efficiency is worth a 5% tech speed increase.
- Ambitious. From my point of view, it's a minor but useful bust in exchange for a marginal malus. If anything, that belligerence rising event can get a bit tiring after a while. And sometimes the other factions DOW you, allowing war w/o the usual dissent for non-full interventionism nations.
- Cautious is a case of being blessed with suck. While the combat increments look good on paper, the reduced speed drastically limits you initial expansion and the subsequent increase in org loss by concept of moving can make you lose wars if not handled carefully. I suppose that in crowded places you can offset this disadvantage to some extent, but it will be a problem later on. Or it would be if the IA knew any better (or you have a desfavourable position to begin with)

My order of preference would be none, wise, ambitious, warlike. The others damage me far too much.

What would be the purpose of weakening DK for a human player? It's not particularly difficult to drive back the revolutionary forces if are putting attention, and while the Junkers intervention does complicate things, it's not that hard to fight the resulting 2 front war (if you attacked DK as hard as you can). Putting most of you IC in dissent reduction and reinforcements at intervals does the trick, and after a while you can fight back. The tank you have is really useful in cutting their resources and restoring some much needed IC. While I'm not a particularly good player, I managed to win the war by late June (too bad Canada decided to join a few days earlier).

However, adding a few units to IA FUSA is not a bad idea. I don't believe possible to codify an IA good enough to properly fight that 2 front war with so little units to work with, but it may be possible to increase FUSA performance a little.

What about the Roman civil wars? Or the USA civil war? Or the 2014 Egyptian coup d'etat? Or any conflict that dives the military forces?
Anyway, in my experience is fairly safe to ignore the marauders until the more immediate threats are dealt with.

Considering that most of those are garrisons, I fail to see how it is a problem.

First, i only have played FUSA once and i got ripped to shreds. Also the junkers certainly attacked before june. I didn't even get to April in that game.

Could it have been that i was playing the game and mod on the highest AI aggressiveness settings? I know i usually play DH on those settings. i could have forgotten to reset the fusa game settings to normal. Let's put it this way from the time of the civil war starting til the junkers attacked me i couldn't even get the reinforcements slide to run down to zero as it normally does in a pretty fast time. All i used my quite small IC's for once the civil war did start was meeting the civilian goods demand and trying to get the reinforcements done. then i would have put most of the IC's i had left into reducing the dissent.

So if what i was experiencing wasn't normal then i most probably had the game set on too high of a difficulty setting for me to start using a faction that i had no idea what it's initial capabilities were.

I'll try it on normal settings.

yes, i did ignore the marauders.

As to the Roman civil wars. caesar was a much more capable commander than pompei ever was.

As to the USA's civil war, that was was really won in the western US. The union generals were much better tactically then their confederate opponents and the union units had usually more and better stuff. But too many people just view what happened in the eastern part of the US as the entire civil war. Remember Gen Grant learned his trade winning many battles on the western side of the war before he was brought to confront Gen Lee on the eastern side.

I can't really say anything about the 2014 Egyptian coup d'etat except that it was actually very well planned for something happening during the current "Information age". i haven't studied it yet.

First, i only have played FUSA once and i got ripped to shreds. Also the junkers certainly attacked before june. I didn't even get to April in that game.
And I never play them except when testing something that directly affects FUSA (per-civil-war) or to find out if it's possible to win the civil-war. But more to the point:
I didn't said that Junker attacked in June. I said that CANADA (RCC) attacked me in June. Junkers DOWed me on march 10th.

Could it have been that i was playing the game and mod on the highest AI aggressiveness settings? I know i usually play DH on those settings. i could have forgotten to reset the fusa game settings to normal. Let's put it this way from the time of the civil war starting til the junkers attacked me i couldn't even get the reinforcements slide to run down to zero as it normally does in a pretty fast time. All i used my quite small IC's for once the civil war did start was meeting the civilian goods demand and trying to get the reinforcements done. then i would have put most of the IC's i had left into reducing the dissent.

So if what i was experiencing wasn't normal then i most probably had the game set on too high of a difficulty setting for me to start using a faction that i had no idea what it's initial capabilities were.

I'll try it on normal settings.
That may be it. I rarely play outside of normal-normal (unless I feel like dealing with crazy scenarios, or a more difficult one). However, I ignore if a different AI aggressiveness affects the use that the AI gives to their troops (in general, I've only see more DOWs than actual change in strategy on higher settings. I guess that staring armies are less common though).

As to the Roman civil wars. caesar was a much more capable commander than pompei ever was.
There were several Roman civil wars, you know? The more famous is probably the Augustus vs Marc Anthony. I was actually thinking on the 'Year of the four Emperors', in particular the Vitellius to Vespasian part.

As to the USA's civil war, that was was really won in the western US. The union generals were much better tactically then their confederate opponents and the union units had usually more and better stuff. But too many people just view what happened in the eastern part of the US as the entire civil war. Remember Gen Grant learned his trade winning many battles on the western side of the war before he was brought to confront Gen Lee on the eastern side.
(Un)fortunately, I haven't really studied USA civil war by virtue of not living there nor having a particular interest in the conflict, so I'll take your word. However, the entire USA army at that point was of merely 16,000 men; it's not too much of a stretch to say that they may as well be not-existent in a conflict involving 3 million men (While officials are important, most aren't on the battlefield per se). Besides, while the Union did had industrial and economic (and naval) supremacy, it still took over 4 year to end the conflict.

It's literally not possible. Decompress FIX-11 somewhere (we only really need the sfx folder, so you can ignore the rest), open the wave folder (inside sfx) and look the files in there. Unless something changed since last time I checked, you should see 8 sound files. One of them is CGFP1.wav. None of them lasts over 6 seconds.

And you are right, doubly. I THOUGHT i had extracted the fix into the game folder and overwritten every file (which i actually did, i just tested it a second time now) and it seems my program combination (teracopy plus 7zip) doesn't work well together, if there are files to be overwritten. So i just extracted the Fix11 Folder somewhere else and copied from there, et voila, the amount of time needed for the .wav is right. Thx for the support.

So, i've been playing some time now and one thing still disturbs me, has anyone EVER had harmony or greenings way? I'm unable to research em, neither with arroyo, manitou, darien and woi. Even if i go just straight for way of dreams (the '49 not the '47 tech in between - thought it might deactivate 'em) it doesn't help.

So to get it together: i'm able to research the '49 tech before the '47 tech and then unable to research the furthergoing techs...

Another thing that's been missing from my side: in earlier versions of the mod, you had the wonderful ability to get other races if you choose diversity, that was a VERY nice feature (and a big plus for people going for diversity) - could you put that back into the game? You could make it possible after diversity when you conquer other nations i.e. robot nation for robots etc.

So, i've been playing some time now and one thing still disturbs me, has anyone EVER had harmony or greenings way? I'm unable to research em, neither with arroyo, manitou, darien and woi. Even if i go just straight for way of dreams (the '49 not the '47 tech in between - thought it might deactivate 'em) it doesn't help.

So to get it together: i'm able to research the '49 tech before the '47 tech and then unable to research the furthergoing techs...

Another thing that's been missing from my side: in earlier versions of the mod, you had the wonderful ability to get other races if you choose diversity, that was a VERY nice feature (and a big plus for people going for diversity) - could you put that back into the game? You could make it possible after diversity when you conquer other nations i.e. robot nation for robots etc.
I've done so with robot nation. However, I had to research 'never was' to pull it off. It seems that excluding that method, it's not possible to do so. I'll see how to fix that.

I'm can't quite remember why that was removed. I'm guessing balance issues, but I'll ask about it anyway.

I have been playing Manitou these days and I noticed the fact I can't research Harmony or Greening Way as well. Doesn't seem to be research-based restriction, but clearly a scenario deactivation. Very odd.

After further testing, it seems that any not-researched secret tech is locked by default. In other words, an event is needed to unlock them.

This ignores released nations. I'm not quite sure how is determined then.

Hi Folks,

after more than a year I am just trying this mod again and I have the following noob issue: When I try to rename a Corps f.e. and I press "space"....then there is no space beetween the letters. Instead of that the time break ends and the game is running further. It seems to be an issue with this mod because I have no problems with renaming in vanilla or in TRP.

Any ideas?

Greetings from the Legion.

I think some things can be changed in the mod, the first might be that Junkers is too strong and keeps conquering the FUSA every time. TC gets overloaded really easily thanks to the uber-high revolt risk, I think maybe the RR should be halved. This also causes problems when advancing to provinces because units are so slow - as soon as they get there they just get routed again. Maybe use the new 1.04 system of recovering organisation while marching? Otherwise it's a pain to wage war.

Apart from this of course it's without a doubt one of the best DH mods there is.

Last edited:
I agree that the Junkers are way too strong, and should either be nerfed or at least have a chance of not getting involved at all. As of a game I'm currently playing, the AI FUSA has reduced the Cathedral to two provinces, yet is being completely overrun by the Junkers. It might just be me, but something about that seems very wrong.

Wow, just found out FODD has been updated for 1.04RC1. There goes my studies now...
Honestly one of the top mods for DH ever (if not the top mod).

Thanks a lot.:)

I think some things can be changed in the mod, the first might be that Junkers is too strong and keeps conquering the FUSA every time. TC gets overloaded really easily thanks to the uber-high revolt risk, I think maybe the RR should be halved. This also causes problems when advancing to provinces because units are so slow - as soon as they get there they just get routed again. Maybe use the new 1.04 system of recovering organisation while marching? Otherwise it's a pain to wage war.

I agree that revolt risk needs to be lowered, because as it is towards the late game when factions have large empires, they will almost always without fail split up their armies and have one unit in every province. This then results in them often being overwhelmed were they to be suddenly attacked, even if they are numerically superior. It also leaves them quite vulnerable to 'surgical strikes' by the player who can easily push through a few lightly defended provinces to capture strategically important ones such as the enemy capital before the AI has any chance of mobilizing all its far flung and spread out units.

I suspect it also makes the AI more passive the more land it takes. It may calculate that due to the high RR it needs to have a unit in each province and will only attack another faction once it has enough free units, even though the vast majority of those doing garrison duty are doing nothing. This I think prevents big empires going to war in the very late game.

Also, what's the deal with the Harliquins? They basically don't do anything. I have played as the New Mexican Republic, Broken Hills, Klamath, the Enclave and the Eastern BoS and not once have I ever seen the Harliquins do anything significant. Often as not they don't even get attacked by anyone either. They just sit out the whole game! I think they should be THE naval faction of the Southern/East coast. They should be pirate raiders that attack the coasts of other factions (although not necessarily their immediate neighbors), while having a heavily fortified New Orleans as their stronghold, which could also be surrounded by well fortified swap provinces. This would mean that on land they would be defensive, and not likely to annex other states, but they would be an absolute nuisance to any coastal faction, say for example there could be scripts saying you have been attacked by them that damage your coastal provinces that only stop once you have a strong naval presence to deter them or you capture New Orleans. As the game currently stands there is virtually no naval activity on the east/southern coast and the Harliquins do virtually nothing at all!

Also, to that effect are you guys planning on doing anything with Cuba? It's a bit sad just seeing it sit there, unloved :p

Last edited:
Reactions:
I suspect it also makes the AI more passive the more land it takes. It may calculate that due to the high RR it needs to have a unit in each province and will only attack another faction once it has enough free units, even though the vast majority of those doing garrison duty are doing nothing. This I think prevents big empires going to war in the very late game.

Also, what's the deal with the Harliquins? They basically don't do anything. I have played as the New Mexican Republic, Broken Hills, Klamath, the Enclave and the Eastern BoS and not once have I ever seen the Harliquins do anything significant. Often as not they don't even get attacked by anyone either. They just sit out the whole game! I think they should be THE naval faction of the Southern/East coast. They should be pirate raiders that attack the coasts of other factions (although not necessarily their immediate neighbors), while having a heavily fortified New Orleans as their stronghold, which could also be surrounded by well fortified swap provinces. This would mean that on land they would be defensive, and not likely to annex other states, but they would be an absolute nuisance to any coastal faction, say for example there could be scripts saying you have been attacked by them that damage your coastal provinces that only stop once you have a strong naval presence to deter them or you capture New Orleans. As the game currently stands there is virtually no naval activity on the east/southern coast and the Harliquins do virtually nothing at all!

Also, to that effect are you guys planning on doing anything with Cuba? It's a bit sad just seeing it sit there, unloved :p
I don't know much about AI programming on this so I'll have to take your word on the former!

Your idea for the Harlequins is pretty great, maybe we can make the events similar to slaving events.
As for the naval thing, it is possible to make conditions pending naval strength I suppose. Not a bad idea at all...
The only issue is I don't know if there is a way to make it affect only coastal stuff.
That said, the actual faction wouldn't really be doing anything except through events, maybe I'll poke around the AI file and see if I can encourage it to do more.

Also as for Cuba, it does need some attention. Maybe people can float some ideas about what to do with it?
I don't mind making a faction there but I'm pretty short of ideas on what to do with it as my Cuban history pretty much ends after Spain killed the natives there.
If we can have some good concepts and art, I don't see why it can't be added.

Last edited:
You could do a neocommunist Cuban state I guess.

Neo-communist GHOUL state! :D

In the alternate history of the fallout world the bay of pigs invasion succeeded, I think. This means that an unpopular dictatorship would have been installed, making Cuba a US puppet again. As a result it is fair to say there would be an endless low-level communist Cuban insurgency. Cuba as a strategic naval base for US forces in the Caribbean would be heavily nuked by the Chinese, destroying the Cuban government and major urban centers, the only form of authority that survive are the communist Guerrillas who survive in the jungles and mountains, but are transformed into ghouls.

They are understandably VERY angry and can be akin to the RCC and NROM in that they will be completely against both the dictatorship or man and american unity. Perhaps Cuba, Mexico and Canada could form their own anti- American alliance?

Also either a province of Cuba or an island in the Caribbean could be given to the enclave as a secret base or some such, that way the Cuban ghouls will have to fight to control their immediate area before they can try and invade the mainland.

Being communists they would have the diversity social policy allowing them to recruit all races and should be opposed to slavery etc.

After further testing, it seems that any not-researched secret tech is locked by default. In other words, an event is needed to unlock them.

This ignores released nations. I'm not quite sure how is determined then.

Hey guys, yes all the Secret Techs in the original Darkest Hour were locked. Same in the mod. The original game would unlock them via event. So that mechanic came over into the mod too. There was an event file which had all the events for unlocking the techs.

I can't remember exactly how they worked. I could look it up to find out if you want.

I'm downloading the latest version of the mod right now. Keen to try it out, actually! I'm kind of amazed the mod is still alive and kicking. Good stuff! :D