Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 40 - What is our mission ?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I was excited to hear that EUIV would be getting achievements, but terribly terribly disappointed to hear that they will be restricted to Ironman mode. To me that is effectively like not having achievements at all. The reason is that I will probably never play Ironman mode - not because I fear the difficulty, but because I've been bitten by game-breaking or save-game-corrupting bugs too many times to want to give up the ability to load an older (uncorrupted) save.

One save only means that if one save is corrupted, you lose *all* your progress. If I can save multiple times, and a save is corrupted, I can at least go back to an earlier version.

I was excited to hear that EUIV would be getting achievements, but terribly terribly disappointed to hear that they will be restricted to Ironman mode. To me that is effectively like not having achievements at all. The reason is that I will probably never play Ironman mode - not because I fear the difficulty, but because I've been bitten by game-breaking or save-game-corrupting bugs too many times to want to give up the ability to load an older (uncorrupted) save.

One save only means that if one save is corrupted, you lose *all* your progress. If I can save multiple times, and a save is corrupted, I can at least go back to an earlier version.

Ironman will likely implement a system of multiple backups (at least after this topic) so you have nothing to worry about!

Pleased about ironman mode, sounds like fun.

Couldn't give a rat's arse about achievements though, just useless baubles.

Remember its a paradox game, copy and pasting saves works.

It's quite possible that the reason EUIV has been given an extra six months of QA and testing and debugging compared to older Paradox games is, in part, to make sure that saves DON'T get corrupted all the time.
:)

Not that I ever had the problems some people seem to be complaining about. I'm wondering if corrupted saves is a consequence of modding or editing the game files?

It's quite possible that the reason EUIV has been given an extra six months of QA and testing and debugging compared to older Paradox games is, in part, to make sure that saves DON'T get corrupted all the time.

Not that I ever had the problems some people seem to be complaining about. I'm wondering if corrupted saves is a consequence of modding or editing the game files?
CKII also had an 18 month cycle with 6 months of QA.
Although, I've yet to have any of my saves corrupted by a PI game. Never had one in XCOM either (another game with Ironman mode). I assume corrupted saves are a very, very small anomaly.

Never had any saves corrupted either unless after a patch or mod. People who whine about that don't have a valid point. Just accept that you won't be able to cheat your way to achievements.

Never had any saves corrupted either unless after a patch or mod. People who whine about that don't have a valid point. Just accept that you won't be able to cheat your way to achievements.

It never happened to you, so it means it never happened to anybody...
Seriously ? What if the PC crash while saving, or there is an electricity problem, of a bug ? Don't take your case for an absolute rule.

You mustn't have played EU2. Crash while autosaving ruined many a game.

And the stability of EU2 is relevant to the stability of EUIV how? At best we could draw conclusions from the stability of CKII, March of the Eagles or Victoria II, but not games that far back. Remember the Steam Cloud will be managing saves, and the Steam Cloud already runs Ironman type games with no problems.

You mustn't have played EU2. Crash while autosaving ruined many a game.
But nobody here is talking about EU2. That was years and years ago, back in the day when Paradox didn't even HAVE a QA department, let alone devoting six months to testing and bug-fixing their games.

If anybody else in this thread is worried about Ironman mode because you've not played any Paradox games in the last eight years and you're worried they're still as unreliable as they use to be back in the EU2 days: let me reassure you, they're not.

Yeah i didn't have any savegame problems either , excluding some mods problem ofc.
Ironman is great idea - Only reliable way to compare player skills (beside multiplayer).
I assume there will be some nice - "Post you Empire - Ironman Mode ONLY" forum topic as soon as game come live :D

I-ironman mode?
B-but how will I be able to know if something like a DOW goes well otherwise! :(
You don't. And we might consider reissuing your mancard.

Yeah I don't get the whole corrupted save paranoia floating around either. Even in EU3, it just doesn't happen anymore. There are ways to prevent/avoid it.