Europa Universalis IV Developer Diary 10 - It all belongs to Mother Russia...

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I like this sound of this. I played Russia once in EU3. Forming it was quite cool but to me it just felt like playing any other nation near GH. Fight take some land wait 5 years... repeat. Especially as I did a Mughal game just before Russia. Both starting was very different but when each nation was formed they just felt exactly the same. The DHEs for Russia sound really really fun to play. I think I may actually force my nation to be unstable during that timeframe so I can experience the crisis :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U06jlgpMtQs

:)

Anyways, cool! I like that nations actually have personal decisions of some kind now. The nations in the top tiers will have a different feel to them too.

I'd also like to add that the shape of the provinces is sort of nice. Not as blocky as in EUIII I think.

EDIT: Oooh, I missed the time of troubles. Would be awesome if that was an important moment in EUIV. If things worked out differently than we'd have been seeing Poland-Lithuania in union with Russia. :D

There has been some minor changes, they should last about 7-8 years on average now.

Why so little time? I guess aristocrats lived around 50 or even 60 years during the games timeframe. Even if they might die because of different reasons before that age. 7 or 8 years is too low, IMHO.

Looking cool! Russia really should be a frequent occurencce in EU and it seems like this will help that happen. Will be interesting to see what you do about Novgorod! You'd think that it'd have more of the trade state characteristics, how would that mix with the Russian ideas?

BTW, will we see acquiring new cultures in EU4 like in EU3, so that other nations than the ones starting with Russian culture might form Russia?

Why so little time? I guess aristocrats lived around 50 or even 60 years during the games timeframe. Even if they might die because of different reasons before that age. 7 or 8 years is too low, IMHO.

I agree, that's too low. I think 15 years would be reasonable.

BTW, will we see acquiring new cultures in EU4 like in EU3, so that other nations than the ones starting with Russian culture might form Russia?

You mean the culture shift decision?

1) most generals became so as adults so actual life expectancy is somewhat irrelevant
2) most generals only notably served as such for a short period of time

So e.g. for a 7-8 year average you have 3 generals that last 3 years ( 1 war) then fade into obscurity/retire/die and one that remains prominent for 23 years (war+ statesman during peacetime or multiple wars a la Napoleon)

Looks fantastic!
Now two trivial questions, if say Russia is formed from Novgorod will it maintain the republican government or it will be forced into Tsardom ?
If republic is maintained will the dynastic chain event and the westernisation process be skipped or played out differently ?

There has been some minor changes, they should last about 7-8 years on average now.

That doesn't feel very long for someone like Napoleon. For every General you have for 20+ years that average sounds like you have two duds who die in their first battle!

To me dud generals who die in their first battle are better off being abstracted away (just like children who die in their first year were abstracted away from CK2).

The thing with Generals is good I think - for how many years did the top generals actually hold the top commanding position that I think the "General" in the EU series represents - they may have been around for some time, but they probably weren't at the top for so long.

The thing with Generals is good I think - for how many years did the top generals actually hold the top commanding position that I think the "General" in the EU series represents - they may have been around for some time, but they probably weren't at the top for so long.
But there would always be another general taking over. The weird thing about this is that you either have a general with some stats or you don't.
If the average expectancy will not change, it would be a good idea to be able to pick a generic leader (representing a reserve general or the promotion of a regimental colonel) with worse stats - but better than none.
And then only if you invest in it will you get a decent leader.
That way you wont have numerous leaderless armies walking around which is unhistorical, plus it's doesn't feel like a complete waste to invest in leaders.