• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
esov, your program is absolutely excellent :)

However (I understand nada of programming), you couldn't provide a version where there was support for altered nation names (and no presentation history) in moddir-games? :rolleyes:

I use your factbook program in MP's, and in the current ToH2 game we have nations like New Sparta and Troy instead of Venice and Nippon, for example. I have to do the replacing editing (which is not so hard) and then search and destroy the history-presentation manually (much more work).
Eg. I open the source for the html, then use the replace all command to replace nation names (for example replace all Ak Koyunlu with Carthage), and then go through the source deleting the commentaries like "The Carthage (Turkish: White Sheep) were a Turkmen tribal..." because they sort of don't fit in any more :p

Jarkko Suvinen said:
esov, your program is absolutely excellent :)

However (I understand nada of programming), you couldn't provide a version where there was support for altered nation names (and no presentation history) in moddir-games? :rolleyes:

I use your factbook program in MP's, and in the current ToH2 game we have nations like New Sparta and Troy instead of Venice and Nippon, for example. I have to do the replacing editing (which is not so hard) and then search and destroy the history-presentation manually (much more work).
Eg. I open the source for the html, then use the replace all command to replace nation names (for example replace all Ak Koyunlu with Carthage), and then go through the source deleting the commentaries like "The Carthage (Turkish: White Sheep) were a Turkmen tribal..." because they sort of don't fit in any more :p

Glad you like it.
You can allow it to support custom games (country names) by downloading the perl program factbook.pl and running it yourself on your machine. As far as no history option I can certanly add a checkbox to the website to allow for you to turn it off. It will be harder to support custom country names from the website but I will think about it.

lesov said:
Glad you like it.
You can allow it to support custom games (country names) by downloading the perl program factbook.pl and running it yourself on your machine. As far as no history option I can certanly add a checkbox to the website to allow for you to turn it off. It will be harder to support custom country names from the website but I will think about it.
That is the way I have been using it (version is 1.21). So I could change the settings from somewhere then? I think I better re-read the manual then, haven't done that since I installed the program first time almost two years ago :p

Jarkko Suvinen said:
That is the way I have been using it (version is 1.21). So I could change the settings from somewhere then? I think I better re-read the manual then, haven't done that since I installed the program first time almost two years ago :p

Its not in a manual, Jarkko. I will describe below the process.

If you have factbook.pl at home you can open it using any text editor (notepad, wordpad, textpad, etc) and change country array to anything you want

%countries=('ENG','England','FRA','France','HAB','Austria',...)

The array has a TAG followed by country name. You can add more pairs to array to support new custom countries and you can change the names of exisiting ones.

%countries=('XYZ','Mycenia','ENG','Athens','FRA','France','HAB','Austria',...)

I added a new tag for Mycenia and I change ENG tag to be Athens.

Make sure that you use single quates (') not double ones ("). You will want to backup of factbook.pl before changing it.

Last edited:
Thank's Lesov, I'll try it immediatly once I get home :)

But as I am a bit slow in computer matters, please allow one more question :)As TOH2 uses existing tags with new names, I'll be using those same tags (ie I can't add new tags) but with the new names, right?

Jarkko Suvinen said:
Thank's Lesov, I'll try it immediatly once I get home :)

But as I am a bit slow in computer matters, please allow one more question :)As uses existing tags with new names, I'll be using those same tags (ie I can't add new tags) but with the new names, right?

yes. If TOH2 uses exisitng tags you just need to change the country names for appropriate tags.

I do believe that some custom scenarios uses new (custom) tags as well. So for those scenarios they need to enter new pairs. ('TAG','countryname',)

Wonderful, I even succeeded to change "presentation" of the nation (that was not part of the Holy book, but I figured out from the code that it is in the text.csv :) )!

However, I notice the code mentions only 1.07, is the downloadable perl script compatible with 1.08 (or should I possibly download a newer version, the version now shows 1.21)?

Jarkko Suvinen said:
Wonderful, I even succeeded to change "presentation" of the nation (that was not part of the Holy book, but I figured out from the code that it is in the text.csv :) )!

However, I notice the code mentions only 1.07, is the downloadable perl script compatible with 1.08 (or should I possibly download a newer version, the version now shows 1.21)?

I will let you know when I will upgrade factbook.pl.(probably in a day or two) But it is compatable as is. Remember once you get the updated version you are going to have to mess with countries array again.

Btw, where does the program look up the goods for the provinces? They seem to be screwed if the game has custom goods set...?

Jarkko Suvinen said:
Btw, where does the program look up the goods for the provinces? They seem to be screwed if the game has custom goods set...?

it looks for goods in province.csv, which is where you woudl define custom goods anyways. So it should be fine.

ALSO people have emailed me telling me they are getting blank country names. I was shocked to find out how many new TAGs are there since a year ago. So this should help people that are playing custom MODs to get lot more usefull info out of the factbook. I added about 80 new country TAGs. So if you got blank county names before try again.

lesov said:
I will let you know when I will upgrade factbook.pl.(probably in a day or two) But it is compatable as is. Remember once you get the updated version you are going to have to mess with countries array again.

If you prefer to use script running local on you computer instead of running the factbook of my website I have updated the factbook.pl script to version 1.08 and added new country tags there as well . New version is 1.2k and is available on http://www.geocities.com/lesov/index1.html

lesov said:
it looks for goods in province.csv, which is where you woudl define custom goods anyways. So it should be fine.
TOH2 and actually quite a few of the more widely (like the *very* popular "Peter's Age of Explorations 1520" ) scenarios have the changed goods production defined in the scenario file(and savegame files) which apparently override the province.csv. I'd guess they are defined in the scneario (and savgame-file) to allow players without moddir to use the scenarios.

Jarkko Suvinen said:
TOH2 and actually quite a few of the more widely (like the *very* popular "Peter's Age of Explorations 1520" ) scenarios have the changed goods production defined in the scenario file(and savegame files) which apparently override the province.csv. I'd guess they are defined in the scneario (and savgame-file) to allow players without moddir to use the scenarios.

If they do use scenarios file to override province data then yes it would be wrong. I will download the scenario you mention to see how it does it and then maybe fix the stand alone factbook.pl to account for it.

lesov said:
If they do use scenarios file to override province data then yes it would be wrong. I will download the scenario you mention to see how it does it and then maybe fix the stand alone factbook.pl to account for it.
That would be excellent, Lesov! :)

Lesov,

Your Factbook is awesome! Very ingenious.

I see that your factbook is published in Vienna. But have you ever thought about the Middle Kingdom's government machinery? The Chinese would seem to be the ultimate keepers of records - the most bureaucratic of bureaucrats. Perhaps Peking can publish your factbook.

In any case, I wish that it were easier to set up locally your Factbook. In the meantime I'll stick to your website.

BTW, wat up wit "up over"?

Lesov, you wouldn't mind if a custom version of your program was made (certainly not by me, but there are people in the game who have an understanding fro programming) for the Thrones of Heaven 2 MP? For example, in the game Temples (aka Art manufactories) are *very* important for the power, etc.

Jarkko Suvinen said:
Lesov, you wouldn't mind if a custom version of your program was made (certainly not by me, but there are people in the game who have an understanding fro programming) for the Thrones of Heaven 2 MP? For example, in the game Temples (aka Art manufactories) are *very* important for the power, etc.

I do not mind. It is a perl script. Its long program but simple. If they have questions they can email me.

factbook now fully supports AGCEEP mod

Just like that title says :rolleyes: Holy World Factbook So AGCEEP users now get the 100% proper info for their province base income, goods, terrain, and other things AGCEEP moders changed in their .inc files.

For those of you wondering about Victoria support via factbook I have to disappoint. I never got into that game for some reason so if I don't play I do not have the motivation to code tools for it.

But obliging Johan I did get my Crusader Kings a week ago so hopefully I can get into that one.