• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitt the Mitt

Sergeant
91 Badges
Sep 12, 2011
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Knights of Honor
  • War of the Vikings
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Ancient Space
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Deus Vult
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
I'm sure some of us have actually stuck through with our back-stabbing, intrigue-rifled Dynasty from the beginning to the end. What does your world map look like at the end on January 2, 1453?

Here's mine:
ck2map27.png

Started as the Duchy of Ostergotland, became King of Finland, then Sweden. Holding that territory in North Africa was a constant pain. Inherited through marriage Bavaria.

Sorry for being offtopic, but where can I find that map? I can't even find the screenshots taken using F-11 D-=.

I'm running XP and a CKII steam install, thanks!

They should be in My Documents/Paradox Interactive Games/Crusader Kings II/Screenshots

I might be off, I don't have CK2 installed on this computer so I can't check.

And here is mine:

ck2_map_1.jpg

This is a 1.02-turned-1.03 campaign. Started as the Count of Dublin, and became (in the following order), King of Ireland, Wales, England, Scotland, Leon, Portugal, Castille, and Aragon. The only part that came through inheritance was a third of Wales—everything else was pretty much warmongering and vassalization. England by Invasion CB, Spain by two centuries of Holy Wars.

But seriously, check out the HRE.

The Duke of Thuringia inherited that huge chunk of France all in one go, and the Duke of Osterreich inherited Novgorod (or whatever their primary title was at the time), which is where those giant chunks of Russia came from. Byzantium did its Byzantium thing (and turned Nestorian before 1100), and the Golden Horde decided that Scandinavia was a nice place. Despite being differently-colored, the ruler of Denmark is a Mongol khan, as well. The Timurids showed up and skipped straight to Hungary.

Wow, nice. A solid Green through the entire Spanish Peninsula. HRE got very lucky. What were you planning if the game didn't end? I was planning to take over all of the HRE from my central spot (and with all the claims I got from inheriting).

Wow, nice. A solid Green through the entire Spanish Peninsula. HRE got very lucky. What were you planning if the game didn't end? I was planning to take over all of the HRE from my central spot (and with all the claims I got from inheriting).

I didn't really have a post-1453 plan, to be honest. Thanks to the infuriating nature of the "Inconclusive Wars" mechanic and the fickle nature of a couple of the last emirs (Cordoba, Barcelona) who couldn't make up their minds whether they wanted to be independents or subjects, filling out the final corners of the peninsula took a lot more time and effort than it should have. The result was that my plan pretty much stopped at "Finish the reconquista before time runs out."

If the game hadn't ended, I probably would have focused on consolidation for a while. I had a lot of territory to convert, after all!

Yeah, it was my first time I finished a game. So I kept thinking the date to end was 1399 (like the start date for EU3), but then it kept going and going. I didn't expand out of Scandinavia much. Mainly the Golden Horde just scares the hell out of me. I was content with Novgorod as a buffer between me and the Horde. Heading South meant fighting the HRE, and that simply wasn't a conceivable strategy for much of the game. Besides, the vassals in Denmark constantly wanted the King title, and caused massive civil wars (always!).

ck2_4.jpg

My first Roman Empire game, where I started as Alexios' grandson after Jerusalem was formed and the Seljuks/Fatimids were weak. I was kinda unsatisfied with it as I never found out what happened when I got every single Imperial Reconquest duchy. My final ruler was also somewhat unimpressive and was known as "the Unready". His final conquests were from Francia (which I created in the command line to get a bigger challenge) and up inside Rus/Perm from the Timurids, who were the last Muslims anywhere on the map. It's a damn shame I never wiped out Catholicism and Shia Islam, which held out up north out of reach of the Roman Empire.

Portuguese owned Mali exists down south, I hold Iceland and Scandinavia (also created via commands from a personal union of Norway and Sweden) competes with the Golden Horde for its de jure lands. All the former HRE is either culturally Mongol, Frankish or a small smattering of German holdouts who are mostly descendants of High Chiefs and Khans who gained independence from the Orthodox GH.

Now I'm trying out a Doukas restoration with CK2+ and VIET modules, which is more interesting and is proceeding in a more promising fashion. I just need Genoa and the Empire is restored under Michael VII Doukas. I'll also post my Yousifid Caliphate game (Emirs of Damascus at 1066 start) where I have the Empire of Arabia in 1250.

Last edited:
OK, time to revive this topic, fellow commanders.
After about 300h in-game, I feel the need to deliver my baby-nations to someone.

Tutorial: absolutely terrible tutorial. Doesn't help to learn the game, let you strive to do the (apparent) simple things such as embarking men into boats (merging boat armies was the key). @Paradox: to improve :)

1st game: Connachta (Ireland), 1066. Supposed to be the beginner slow-pace paradise (yeah, I had some Youtube videos during/after the tutorial).
I made huge mistakes. Like keeping Agnatic-Cognatic, a nightmare. And not pleasing my vassals (money? I need it to raise mercenaries!). I managed to unite Ireland though (!) and conquer a piece of Wales, but was stormed by a foreign power in 1324.

UaConchobair_1066-1324.png

2nd game: Croatia, 1066. Where I learned most things. I tried a few succession rules, conquer land by de jure, by mariage. A very good game where I enjoyed a lot. All of that in Iron mode, I did manage to see end game!

3rd game: Piast (King of Poland), 1066. My first empire! I recall Polish armies to be very efficient, but pagan countries to be very difficult to conquer due to their mutual help. I adopted Elective Monarchy and have been a big fan since.

Piast_1066-1453.png

4th game: Jimena (King of Castille), 1066. Yeah, the real thing recommended for people who want action. Getting back the Catholic Spain at the start is quite the thrill and then the Reconquista is great too (except self-converting muslims).
Jimena_1066-1453.png

5th game: Dhunnunid (Cheikh of Toledo), 1066. Obviously, I was tempted by trying the Muslim part of conquering Spain. Much harder (I did not choose the easiest Cheikh). But fun too, even improving. The end game reveals Europe on its way to full-Islam.

Dhunnunid_1066-1453.png

6th game: Agilolfing (Duke of Baviere), 769. I wanted the Charlemagne start with a bit of difficulty. It was an epic game, where muslims developed fast and conquered Europe from Spain when I was eating the HRE on the East. After that, crusades made it quite easy for me to gain power fast. Last decades were quite difficult, where European Kingdoms were pissed at me for having so much power. I managed my way through mariage to get the rest of Byzantine empire. I don't know if I will expand larger (or want to...) that my end game map.

Agilolfing_769.png

7th game: Mac Carthaigh (Earl of Deasmhumhain), 1066. Back from holidays in Ireland, I sensed the urge to be a fierce gaelic leader. I chose a difficult Irish start even if 40 years after I was King of Ireland. However, conquering Europe at this date is not an easy thing. Luckily for me, I married early to a Castelo Branco heir, which led me to an "easy" way into Spain (that I quite know). But soon (after conquest of Portugal) all muslims were already converted to catholicism, Castille was strong and France had a strong foot into the country. Hard times, with a lot of alliance/treason with Jimenas followed by a slow diplomatic fight with France. In the same time, I had enough army to conquer some parts of Wales, Scotland, which I quickly acquired. England was a bit more difficult, being held by the D'Anjous (same dynasty held France). At some point, HRE took France through mariage, then Byzantine took HRE. You can imagine it did not last long. Last decades was fighting a fellow Mac Carthaigh that took Aquitaine (I had Tanestry in the early years, which was great too, but quite frustrating, my choice was never followed). I managed to get most of France (including the de jure Kingdom title) in the end.
MacCarthaigh_1066-1453.png

Last edited:
@sreckom92 . Hello to you too. I read rules and the warning, that said I had the right to do that.
Why a new thread? This one is a reference in Google search and I see no reason not to gather end map experiences in a single thread, we're here to share.

Why a new thread?
Because the rules say you must not post in old threads. Moderators will close this any moment now. And they're not interested in debating whether you have good reasons or not to post here.
Just make a new thread, and copy your post there.
I'll post my game there, once I get home...

Because the rules say you must not post in old threads. Moderators will close this any moment now. And they're not interested in debating whether you have good reasons or not to post here.
Just make a new thread, and copy your post there.
I'll post my game there, once I get home...

Hold on now. I just restarted a 5 year old post today myself and I did it because the topic was still relevant and entirely duplicated my suggestion (morganatic marriage). PDX has given us the option to revive an old thread for a reason - if the topic is still relevant then I think that it is fair game.

What would NOT be right would be if the rules/gameplay/tricks/player hints were woefully out of date, in that case reviving the topic would be counterproductive at best and misleading at worst. In this case "What does your map look like at game end" is as relevant today as it was 5 years ago - it's also instructive to see just what end game states used to look like before pre-1066 starts, nomads, merchant republics, Black Death etc completely changed the progress of the game.

While the admins may not have shut the post down for necromancy, they certainly will if the subject does not return to map sharing post haste. I would also caution people from making admin related assumptions without actually being admins, as it tends to be in poor form. The die was cast as soon as he replied. The post has returned to the front page. So be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.