• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
B definately.

Due to the current situation, a plan I devized for a HOI1 Japan game might be best. Called the Base Denial Doctrine, it was a way of securing the imperial convoys. By taking american naval bases, the american warships would be out of range to strike at our convoys and more importantly: the IJN.

Capturing hawaii at this stage does nothing but overextend our supply lines, and with american ships able to refuel in Micronesia, capturing Hawaii would cost more than it gives.

Wow, great update. I would also say that you should capture all islands with a naval base in Micronesia before turning eastwards to Hawaii. This way you will secure your southern flank and you will possibly sink some more allied ships aswell.
Plan B

Last edited:
KlavoHunter said:
I kept saying "encircle and crush their army", but they refused to listen...

yes..outvoted.. if its any insight, i was able to crush china to 97% warscore (and about 10 remaining provinces) and puppet them by september '44, and i did eventually take saipan, and even australia and made good strides in burma, but after taking calcutta a large influx of commonwealth troops stopped me, more or less. I was also at war with the russians since about two weeks after china fell, to try and take vladivistok for all-important vps, which was successful,and help germany, which was not, and maybe try and take more, but..germany actually collapsed by november :eek: How does our writer intend to offset the huge shift in VP's when europe falls? nevermind the sudden shift of allied focus..

But option A. Micronesia just sounds so..Micro-nesia-ish. To hawaii!

The object is to threaten US soil. While the fight remains in the west and south pacific the US will not listen and will not negotiate. Forget Micronesia advance on Hawaii.

Take the fight to our enemy. Fighting in Micronesia give the Allies the advantage. Secure US bases at Wake and Hawaii, and Australia and New Zealand are just very large aircraft carriers. Our object is an honerable peace. It is what the emporer would want in this situation.

[In game terms I would say that micronesia is the better bet though - it pains me to say it. If you can take Hawaii it ought to stop all supply to the South Pacific. But the AI has unlimited range and will exploit this advantage. IRL Hawaii - in game terms micronesia.... sigh]

If you want to win this war, as I said... basically, hit where the US has an attackable fleet. Port Strike it and then crush it in detail.

Remember... "I would rather lose a city, than an army".

Last edited:
ofc they will surrender, but only unconditional (the USA) which means an invasions of US home soil, which at this point is hard.

i would say that you could engineer a negotiated peace deal using 'acceptall' that is realistic, such as..a peace which makes minor concessions to the US in the pacific, or something like that, but make sure that you only use this after the USN is less then 100 ships, and the IJN rules the waves.

in the '44 scenario we need some negotiated peace events that fire to end the war if the axis hold out.

im guessing that you will have to stop the offensive sooner or later to repair your fleet, push to far and you will end up with a 2nd far worse midway on your hands..i remember in a game like this, i fought the battle of saipan, with fleet from tokyo and philippines and then went on to take some USAF and USN bases in carolines, and then...neglected to withdraw for repairs (i was a bit gung-ho :D ) i went straight to enwitok, where i first, a TF in my fleet was caught by the US battle fleet on its own and hurt, then with inferior numbers and damaged ships i fought the US surface and carrier fleet, they lost 4 carriers to my 2 but it was a defeat either way :)

Well, this is how I think,

If you take all of Micronesia, chances are that the US will concentrate his fleet in the western islands and thus outnumber you.

If you reconquer Wake and Midway, the US fleet should split between Micronesia and Wake/Midway, this way, you can focus your fleet in one spot at a time and overwhelm them.

But there is no certanty on how the AI will act upon A or B, so the options are almost even.
I'd focus on gaining the highest war score posible in order to sue for peace, after all... THE REDS ARE COMING!

Well, after hearing very interesting arguments and suggestions, after much consideration, I believe that the best cause of action would be an assault at The Micronesia Islands. My only concern is that if we attack Haiwaii straight away, it would only be a disaster for our Imperial fleet. I believe that the bulk of the American Navy will be at play here and they are still strong. It would be wise to retake The Micronesia Islands, set up a decent supply base and then begin our offensive towards Haiwaii.

BANZAI! BANZAI! BANZAI!

LONG LIVE THE JAPANESE EMPIRE!

pacific-war.jpg

OOC: Sorry but I just felt like roleplaying. ;)

Thanks everyone for answering, i don't have much time but i will try to please the general questions.

It seems that peace with US is very wanted. The problem is that peace is with the allies,not just US.And since im pretty sure im in the minus in the warscore, i doubt it would be an option unless i gave some of my land.(wich i wont)

Also, i will enlight you in the next episode with German news.What i can tell you is that the krauts are playing really historicly. Its September 1944 and theres an Ardennes operation coming on,its exactly like the real one.Hopefully Bastogne will fall... As for the east front,Russia is moving much more slowly then in real life,but their still advancing...

By Friday i will count posts and i still start playing/writing.

Thx everyone!

always find that for germany in '44 the real killer is the allies from france and italy, just dont have the strength to hold the entire historic dec.1944 line in the west.

Eclipse of the Rising Sun,a 1944 Japan AAR​
Episode 5​

''The only thing not to do, is to do nothing. '' - L.Ron Hubbard

7th November 1944

Staring at the sea that had taken so many, Yamamoto(chief of Carrier Fleet) and Shima(chief of Staff) slowly drinked their tea, in pure silence. Both of them didn't say a word, but they both had the same thing in mind. What the hell was going to happen now...

The IJN Fall - September/October 1944

By the beginning of September, after much discussion by the high command, orders were given to take the Micronesian islands back, wich were under American control. The tactic would consist of island hopping, due to the proximity of all the islands in Micronesia. Japanese marines were deployed on an island south of Kwalajein and slowly but surely started capturing every islands.

By mid September, a total reversal of situation happened in burma. The british forces had encircled over 10 divisions. A strong drive towards Rangoon, the capital of the Burma regions, had been succesful in cutting over 10 divisions east of Rangoon.

5aarburmatrapped6vb.jpg

In an attempt to save the divisions, Chief of Staff Akiro Shima ordered the entire Carrier fleet in Micronesia to be sent in the Indian sea to cover the arrival of transport ships who would reinforce the trapped divisions and help to achieve the re-capture of Rangoon. The entire Carrier Fleet rebased in Singapore, then got moving in the Indian sea where it would cover the transport ships and give heavy shore bombardements and air dominance to capture back Rangoon.

5aarrangoonbattle28ki.jpg

5aarrangoonvictory8kg.jpg

The IJN fleet had saved from doom a lot of soldiers, and also had gotten themself a great opportunity to eliminate an heavy part of the South East british navy, who had stationned in Rangoon when it was under british control. The English South East Navy, stuck between the IJN patrolling the Bay of Bangal and the Japanese soldiers moving towards their sea ports, quickly gave an alarm call to the entire U.S Navy and Royal Navy. It was declared that its entire fleet could be wiped off and they needed heavy reinforcement to be saved. Responding to this, the American navy and the English Navy, already preparing for a massive counter attack with almost their entire carrier fleet, saw the opportunity to trap the IJN navy in the Indian Sea. They quickly got on the move and prepared for what would be the biggest Naval battle of all time.

5aarburmamap2rr.jpg

The plan proposed and executed by the Allies to finish off the Carrier force.They sent almost everything they had for this battle.

The Indian Sea battle

Order of Battle

Carriers

3aarzitachi3em.jpg
-
5aargodo4qs.jpg

5aarunryuamagi6fr.jpg
-
5aarkatu7pz.jpg

3aarkokusentai9qp.jpg
-
5aartoyoda9by.jpg

5aarunryuamagi6fr.jpg
-
5aaryamamoto3qd.jpg

3aarjunyo6pc.jpg
-
5aarnagano6xq.jpg

3aarhiyo5kl.jpg
-
5aarnomura7kj.jpg

Light Cruisers

2nd Light Cruiser Fleet - Vice Admiral Mikawa, Superior Tactician

Destroyers

3rd Destroyer Fleet - Admiral Ozawa, Superior Tactician/Blockade Runner

The Battle

The Allied Pacific Navy quickled formed a ring around the Japanese ships in the Gulf of Rangoon, with the biggest mass of Carriers ever assembled since the beginning of the war. Every allied commander knew that this was their chance to almost wipe the IJN off this world, so they deployed all they had.On the 9th November, it all started.

9th - 10th October, 1944

A large amounts of US and English planes launched from their respective Carriers, hoping to pick off as many Destroyers as they could, to clear the way for the British submarines. Yamamoto skillfully saw trough this plan and his Light cruisers were quickly sent foward, while he pulled back is destroyers back to the coast. 3 Light cruisers are sunked and many are lightly damaged. However the British commanders tought many had been very damaged, so the British submarines were sent. The 3rd Destroyer Fleet commander, Admiral Ozawa, did a marvelous job with his destroyers while the English submarines were totally surprised by the strong destroyer presence. The Royal Navy submarines tried to fall back but they were enable to do so. This would prove to be England's biggest submarine disaster since the beginning of the war.This would be the last action of submarines seen in the Indian sea for the entire battle.

Japan Lost - Light Cruisers: IJN Nagara,IJN Kashima ,IJN Noru(all part of the 2nd light cruiser fleet)

Allies Lost - Submarines: 4th,6th,7th,8th and 9th Royal Navy Submarines Flottilas

11th-13th October, 1944

The Allied commanders were in total confusion following this terrible action. The Royal Navy blamed the American for giving them false reports, while the U.S navy said the British had just mis-understood their reports and that their submarine use was just bad. Whoever's fault it was, it barely mattered. On the 11th, following the submarine disaster, Grand Admiral Yamamoto , counter attacked the US Carriers, stationned South. The American commanders requested help from the Royal Navy, but due to the tense climate that had established in the past week, help came much less faster then it should have came, and the U.S Navy received the heaviest blow since the start of this war.

Japan lost - Carriers: IJN Junyo

Allies lost - Carriers: USS Bennington, USS Intrepid,USS Hornet,USS Shangri La / Battleships: USS Massachusetts / Light Cruisers:USS Nashville

15th-17th October, 1944

The U.S navy was in shock. They were in total confusion after what had just happened. The battle of midway had just happened to them. 4 Carriers had been sunk, while Japan had only lost one. Commanders were not even frustrated or angry, they were just in shock and confusion. How can such a thing happen? The Royal navy on their side, was fueled by the need of revenge for their lost friends. US and British had forgived themself for the submarine disaster. It was time for them to both combine and give a powerful blow to the IJN. After all, they had them encircled. The British Navy counter attacked with what was remaining of the US carrier fleet, and a small revenge was taken for the events that had happen 2 days ago. Sacrificing themself to save the carriers, many Japanese destroyers payed an heavy price to protect the Capital ships.This would be the Allies's first victory.

Japan lost - Carriers: IJN Hiyo / Destroyers: Entire 3rd Destroyer Fleet

Allies lost - Battleships: HMS Queen Elizabeth / Battlecruisers: HMS Renown

20th November, 1944; the Escape manovers

The situation was critical for the IJN at this point. With 2 carriers lost and the others damaged, Yamamoto knew that he needed to get out of there. He quickly ordered an attack on British ships, then he would drive his ships South, where the Americans were stationned. The reason was simple; the U.S navy would run off to help their English fellows, and it would weaken their southern line. This would allow an escape towards Singapore. At the rise of the sun, the first part of the plan started and worked marvelously; the british suffered a very heavy blow.

Japan lost - Nothing

Allies lost - Carriers: HMS Indomitable,HMS Victorious,HMS Unicorn / Battleships:HMS Anson,HMS King George V / Heavy cruisers:HMS Effingham

22th-28th October, 1944; The final stage

Yamamoto, seeing that it was time to head back home for some repairs, did the second phase of his escape plan. He headed south towards Singapore, hoping that some US ships had shifted east to help the Royal Navy who had suffered heavy blows 3 days ago. However, they did not. They had cracked, once again, the Japanese codes and they knew the entire Carrier fleet would be heading south to go in Singapore. Yamamoto, took by full surprise when he saw that the entire fleet was still there, was never able to recover from his mistake. This would be the fall of the IJN.

Japan Lost - Carriers: IJN Unryu,IJN Koku Sentai, IJN Amagi / Light Cruisers:2nd Light Cruiser fleet

Allies - Carriers: USS Lexington, USS Enterprise

Final Results of the Indian Sea Battle

Japan Lost - Carriers: IJN Unryu, IJN Koku Sentain, IJN Amagi, IJN Hiyo, IJN Junyo / Light Cruisers:2nd Light Cruiser fleet(8 Light Cruisers) / Destroyers:3rd Destroyer Fleet(8 Destroyers flottila)

Allies Lost - Carriers: USS Bennington, USS Intrepid,USS Hornet,USS Shangri La, HMS Indomitable, HMS Victorious, HMS Unicorn, USS Lexington, USS Enterprise / Battleships: USS Massachusetts, HMS Queen Elizabeth, HMS Anson,HMS King George V / Battlecruisers: HMS Renown / Heavy cruisers:HMS Effingham / Light cruisers: USS Nashville / Submarines: 4th,6th,7th,8th and 9th Royal Navy Submarines Flottilas

From the Allies point of view, this wasen't even declared as a victory. It was a tragic lost that could have been dodged. However, it was absolutly nothing compared to the Japanese point of view. This almost meant the end of the war. With the brand new Shinano carrier launched(lvl VI), the Nihon Kaigun(IJN) only had 3 Carriers left, and to make it even worst, there was now a major lack of screening ships. Of course, Burma had been saved and Rangoon had been recaptured, but at an unforgettable price. This would be known as the second IJN fall.(midway being first)

7th November 1944

Shima decided to break the silence by going directly to the point.

Shima(Chief of Staff) - So, what next for us?

Yamamoto - I think you have to much attention on your loses. You should keep looking at what you have, instead of focusing on your loses. That how i was able to stay focused after the midway disaster.

Shima - Easier said then done...

Yamamoto - Yes but much its much easier to look at what you have then trying to bring back carriers from the bottom of a sea.

Shima - Meh, i guess your right... but answer my question; whats next for us?

Yamamoto - Well....its basicly a waiting game for us. We just have to wait and see what the Allies do and we will just do the adaptation...

Sorry there is no choice for the readers this week, but there was nothing to make a choice of, so this week is read only!

Wow, that is quite a defeat. I would say regroup all yor carriers and remaining capital ships into groups of 30, and whenever you launch an invasion, send your whole fleet to that point in order have local superiority. It does look quite bleak though, but I am sure the IJN will reign supreme in the end. Good Luck!

merr..stat wise, at least it was a victory. How many carriers do the allies claim between them? over 10, isnt it? How many carriers can you afford to re-furnish? theres no real need to build ground forces, but alot of IC is tied up upgrading them, isnt it? Either way, the carriers take so long, its just..bleh!

Plan? Focus on land war? Strike the soviets? Or risk your luck continuing sea invasion?

The situation is indeed looking terrible but the good news is we have severly weakened the Allied Fleet, thus giving us the opportunity for more time, hopefully to rebuild the Imperial Japanese Navy. Certainly, the time will take longer but at this moment, I feel that ground troops are not really needed.

Until then.............

LONG LIVE JAPAN AND HER PEOPLE!

mewmew_1.jpg

Your navy has lost many Carriers... but consider, also, that you still have much naval power that has not been used yet! Such as your battleships. Put under a skilled admiral, they can close the range, especially in poor weather, and defeat carriers. (Though the dumb things will remain at 100 km away if you have a carrier in your fleet with them).

Yamato, Musashi may have been sent to the bottom (because you were idiot enough to put them in a carrier battle), but many other vessels are still at your command! Don't squander them, just for lack of those unarmed, flat-decked monsters :)

AFAIK, at this point, the IJN still has most of its BBs intact (aside from the two Level VIIs that you wasted at Saipan). Use them and continue the campaign to drive the Americans back to the West Coast!