• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Pavlos may well be mad, but he's not crazy (yet?). He can clearly keep his guards loyal and even if he hasn't got a complete spy network everywhere he has got the population believing he does, which is almost as good - if people are too scared to talk you don't need to worry about over hearing their every word. If the professional army ends up under royal control then that is another big power block on his side.

As long as he keeps using that 'Expert Political Operator' trait then I fear he can get a lot madder and badder before he is in real danger.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Folks, I'd like to remind you of our esteemed tradition of the AARland Choice Awards, voting for Q1 2024 going on now! :D Vote for your favorite, it does not mean to be mine, but please vote! Link: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/q1-2024-acas.1647883/
Pavlos may well be mad, but he's not crazy (yet?). He can clearly keep his guards loyal and even if he hasn't got a complete spy network everywhere he has got the population believing he does, which is almost as good - if people are too scared to talk you don't need to worry about over hearing their every word. If the professional army ends up under royal control then that is another big power block on his side.

As long as he keeps using that 'Expert Political Operator' trait then I fear he can get a lot madder and badder before he is in real danger.
He is, indeed, a skilled political operator. Good catch. :) Even skilled operators like him can get cast out, but he has an ace in his political expertise. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter XIV New
Pronoia, Elysium

April 8th, 1805

King Pavlos Galantinus smirked. His work had paid off. Handsomely.

It had cost him some, of course. But what deal with the devil did not?

He laughed. Long.

Turning to the side, he winked at nothing and nodded. Hades was pleased. The rascal.

1713441033861.png

The revolt, hiding behind the peasants – he was appalled by the rebel dishonesty – had taken almost all his industry. Of almost 20 million pound was now only 3.7 million under his control.

And he had at the beginning of the rebellion controlled only 15 military cohords against the rebel’s 36.

It had seemed dire. But he was better than them all. He would, he knew, win.

Still sitting in his capital, with rebels all over the states around. With only the most recent colonies on his side.

And yet, he had already won.

1713441023407.png

He had given up some financial freedom for victory. Tied his regime to the Holy Roman Empire. A customs union was a small ask for over 300 cohorts – on his side!

He took a huge gulp of his wine. This tasted weirder than usual. He should order a new batch.

Thinking of it, he had felt ill recently. But he had no time for being sick. He had a country to run, a war to win.

1713441015359.png

The Holy Roman Empire had offered to take on the national debt just an hour ago. Elysium was almost bankrupt, so he had accepted, even though it meant being deeper in the pocket of the French. He didn’t care, what had to be done had to be done. Had been done.

He cursed.

Drakos. President Nikolaos Drakos, the traitor. His letter, offering to let Pavlos go in exile if he only gave up, in front of him. Darn traitor.

1713441008072.png

Pavlos hit the desk in front of him. Ouch, that hurt. Some more wine, to dull the pain.

Then, it would begin. Begin in earnest. The rise of Elysium. Under his leadership, Elysium would rise. He was sure of it. The voices had promised him.

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
This chapter really showcases Pavlos' increasing insanity. I especially loved this line:
Turning to the side, he winked at nothing and nodded. Hades was pleased. The rascal.

• 1Like
Reactions:
As a character I'm growing to like Pavlos. I am reminded of the Twain line;
Mark Twain. Probably. said:
I admire him, I frankly confess it; and when his time is come I shall buy a piece of the rope for a keepsake

• 5Haha
Reactions:
Civil war, hallucinations, odd-tasting beverages, subservience to a foreign power…

It’s not a good time to be Elysian. I hope your next monarch is sane at least.
My next in line is currently nine or twn years old...
This chapter really showcases Pavlos' increasing insanity. I especially loved this line:
Thanks! It's really fun to write him. Too bad he's on borrowed time...
As a character I'm growing to like Pavlos. I am reminded of the Twain line;
He's really been growikg on me. Early on it was hard finding an angle to write him. Now it flows easy.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So, Pavlos has been drinking tainted wine for 7 years now. He's probably built up a high tolerance to whatever poison the wine was tainted with. It's not unlike Mithridates the Great, also known as the Poison King, who imbibed various poisons and toxins over his lifetime, effectively making him immune to poison. When finally cornered by the Romans, he found the concentrated poison he took didn't work, so had his servant stab him to death.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Some voices lie and some friends carry daggers to ventilate your coat so that you do not die of heat-stroke. Thanks

Is HRE French?
IIRC they’re still Carolingian, so… Frankish? Franco-German?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Or as I once remarked to a friend about Napoleon: “He’s the only person whom I am both utterly certain is in Hell and whom l would love to see escape.”
Haha, I love that. :D
Some voices lie and some friends carry daggers to ventilate your coat so that you do not die of heat-stroke. Thanks

Is HRE French?

IIRC they’re still Carolingian, so… Frankish? Franco-German?
The HRE is ruled by the Carolingians and is based in RL France ++ :)
So, Pavlos has been drinking tainted wine for 7 years now. He's probably built up a high tolerance to whatever poison the wine was tainted with. It's not unlike Mithridates the Great, also known as the Poison King, who imbibed various poisons and toxins over his lifetime, effectively making him immune to poison. When finally cornered by the Romans, he found the concentrated poison he took didn't work, so had his servant stab him to death.
But, also, note how the taste has changed. Might they, whomever "they" are, be changing the recipe?

• 1Like
Reactions:
But, also, note how the taste has changed. Might they, whomever "they" are, be changing the recipe?
Is it possible that Elysium is just really bad at wine making? It's not poisoned, it always tastes that bad.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
I’m surprised he hasn’t just asked Dionysos directly.
He’s far too occupied with worshipping Hades…
Is it possible that Elysium is just really bad at wine making? It's not poisoned, it always tastes that bad.
«They» like this sentiment. «They» suggest you go down that thoughline, as it is a most suitable line of thought. For «them».

• 1Like
Reactions:
«They» like this sentiment. «They » suggest you go down that thoughline, as it is a most suitable line of thought. For «them».
«They» have been poisoning his wine for at least seven years now, with no obvious effect. I suggest «they» are not very good at this sort of thing and should get a better plan.

Or «they» are the in fact fiends of the Elysium Wine Importers Guild, deliberately making local wine taste bad to boost their sales of foreign wine.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
«They» have been poisoning his wine for at least seven years now, with no obvious effect. I suggest «they» are not very good at this sort of thing and should get a better plan.

Or «they» are the in fact fiends of the Elysium Wine Importers Guild, deliberately making local wine taste bad to boost their sales of foreign wine.
Ever heard of long term plans? :D And the effects are obvious! Slow descent into madness. All while "they" do whatever "they" do in the shadows. *nods*

• 1Like
Reactions:
I guess that rules out the chance Pavlos just has lousy taste buds :).

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I mean, I am just asking questions. I'm not saying there's a conspiracy, but the shoe fits, no? :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yeah, I think the wine's poisoned. How would Pavlos justify Hades not telling him that if it kills him?

What deal did Pavlos think he made with Hades? Or is it the same as the HRE deal?

• 2Like
Reactions: