• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Tegetthoff said:
AI behaviour is a problem in this mod. We have not yet figured out what causes the strange AI behaviour. There are some improvements in the latest version (Germany), but AI attack behaviour is strange. A-H is one of the strangest cases, but I understand there has been more work on Germany than on A-H.
An advice, try using the 1936 AI (And 1941 AI for Germany, so they do attack France over Holland). The AI should prove much more effective. I once made my own ww1 but just with basic events and used it. The armies I used were taken from Victoria 1914 scenario (1 unit there = 1 division in game). The result was that France was struggling hard to keep the Germans from Paris, Russia was fighting till the last man and Serbia was also doing great (Was pushed back, counterattacked and so on). It all remained a balanced conflict till Italy joined the conflict. AH didn't defend the border with them properly although I have set the priority to 100. To solve this, fortifed the area and have put per 3 divisions on the border which were locked till italy attacked if they didnt the divisions were disbanded to blance the game.

I spend days in AI coding. I analized vanilla AI-files, I asked Lothos why Germany does not attack belgium, a started coding from the beginning. And the result was frustrating.

My Plan for 0.5 is:
- delete ALL AI-files from 1914
- set up a default-AI which works for nearly all nations
- make intensive testruns and see which nations cannot dealt with the default AI (most likely the mayor powers)
- create seperate AI files and change specific values depending on the results of the testruns

That's the only thing which can lead us out of this impass.

What about you? could you imagine helping us with our AI problem?

v.Manstein said:
I spend days in AI coding. I analized vanilla AI-files, I asked Lothos why Germany does not attack belgium, a started coding from the beginning. And the result was frustrating.

My Plan for 0.5 is:
- delete ALL AI-files from 1914
- set up a default-AI which works for nearly all nations
- make intensive testruns and see which nations cannot dealt with the default AI (most likely the mayor powers)
- create seperate AI files and change specific values depending on the results of the testruns

That's the only thing which can lead us out of this impass.

What about you? could you imagine helping us with our AI problem?
Maybe I could. I will see what I can do. But for now if you want to see the full potential of the AI, change FRA and RUS AI to 1936 (War AI file) and German AI to the 1941 (also war AI, 1941 because Germany would not probably attack over Benelux). Those are the basic 3 nations which fight most of the war. Yo do this by deleting the text in the original file and paste the rest in it. Then just change the date to 1941 (Whit this you should acquire a prototype of the war, which would be... acceptable).

The only thing I can suggest with this AI problem, is set many of the parameters high (very high) and slightly lower the ones that should be at least signifigantly lower. At least with them so high, the AI is bound to do something, and for the rest tweak them lower as needed.

I have a certain suspension what could be wrong. Here I have played a bit alternative WW1. I have not attacked France over Belgium, but I first concentrated all my forces on the Russian front. France didn't attack me once in the whole war, Austria Hungary was also doing nothing, the Ottomans have not joined my war effort, but also didn't Japan, later USA (Maybe it has also something to do with the unrestricted submarine warfare event which I declined) and other Commonwealth countries since I didn't attack over Belgium.

The tanks are so cute when they are little lol. And you sure that, that is the right picture for experimental plane lol? It looks like more experimental for WW2.

Well after one year, after the start of the war, I have defeated the Russians and have relocated my forces to France and some lesser units to Serbia to get rid of the country.

Then suddenly everything started to move. At first Austria Hungary started to relocate large portions of their army to the French front. Although they didn't try to attack they had about 50 divisions there.

And out of surprise they also started an attack against Serbia even before my forces from Russia could arrive.

The Entente also started moving. They started to bombard me (They didn't do that before). And started to take my undefended African colonies (They had 1 year to do this, but didn't). They didn't attack me in Europe probably because I secured my border with them with level 10 forts.

AH has removed their forces eventually and moved them to the Italian front once they attacked. Both sides remained in a stalemate. In the meantime, I declared war upon Belgium and Netherlands. With that also Japan and the commonwealth countries have also declared war upon me. USA was neutral till the end of the war with the Entente.

Hindenburg has seen the horrors of war on all fronts.

Well after France was defeated a part of my forces was sent to Italy, were the country has surrendered in half a month after the start of the attack, a second part of my forces has landed in UK where they achieved a fast victory. After the defeat of the entente, there was a chance to declared war upon USA. I did that, but just when I wanted to prepare for the invasion they also did get an defeat even out of nothing. Soon the negotiated peace events fired and I got huge land concessions. I'm still waiting that something cool happens to Belgium (They get annexed by me, or I get their colonies lol).

Well it seems there is something wrong about Russia or the other AIs coneted to russia. I will try to find out more.

Statistics

If somebody is interested:

I have had 402 downloads of the 1914 Armageddon compatibility pack so far, 160 during the last 10 days.

I hope this means that the mod is being used (or at least installed) by many people. It also means that with a couple of hundred installations we have very few bug reports.

Last edited:
Good news. If I remember the 0.43 downloads, the total number must be much higher. I'll code a little download-counter for the next release so that we have a better overview.

Dead William said:
Arma, fully patched. I try to load up as Austria Hungary and it goes poof. No further info since it goes to desktop without telling me why. (followed the instructions religiously)

I shall now try another country.

DW

Edit: Germany gives a CTD as well. I shall try a re-install at a later time. I was looking forward to this. :(

I have exactly the same problem. I can select a scenario, country, the game starts loading and ends in a CTD.

I tried installing the Armggedon version 3 times and the DD version one time - always the same result.

String:
Original Armggedon: RRJN
After 1914 is installed: SMXL

I see two possibilities:
- It does not run under Windows Vista (which would surprise me as I am extensively playing the 1933 mod under Vista)
- I made a very stupid error (and repeated that error 3 times, so I will most likely make that error again when going for a fifth attempt :wacko: )

Many thanks for any hints,

Roland (who is eager to play it)

Edit:
I just installed version 0.4 DD (String OKVG), and I could start a game.
Then I applied the 0.43 patch (String JSOE), and it crashes when attempting to start a scenario.

Edit 2:
I installed 0.40 DD (OKVG) and installed 0.42 (LCAI). Result: Crash. So, I guess that for one reason or another, 0.42/.043 are not working under vista.

Last edited:
RolandRahn said:
I have exactly the same problem. I can select a scenario, country, the game starts loading and ends in a CTD.

I tried installing the Armggedon version 3 times and the DD version one time - always the same result.

String:
Original Armggedon: RRJN
After 1914 is installed: SMXL

I see two possibilities:
- It does not run under Windows Vista (which would surprise me as I am extensively playing the 1933 mod under Vista)
- I made a very stupid error (and repeated that error 3 times, so I will most likely make that error again when going for a fifth attempt :wacko: )

Many thanks for any hints,

Roland (who is eager to play it)

Edit:
I just installed version 0.4 DD (String OKVG), and I could start a game.
Then I applied the 0.43 patch (String JSOE), and it crashes when attempting to start a scenario.

Edit 2:
I installed 0.40 DD (OKVG) and installed 0.42 (LCAI). Result: Crash. So, I guess that for one reason or another, 0.42/.043 are not working under vista.

My problem was an incomplete Arma through a faulty download. I assume yours is the full one?

littleericpkt said:
Can anyone tell me what version of arma to install the game to that will play most successfully?

It is always recommended to use the latest patch. But ARMA compatibility of 1914 is minimal, so it should work with any patch.

I'm back online now - pretty much. I'm downloading 0.43; will try to have a couple of playtest reports up by the end of the week.

Out of interest, do the dominions have decent minister sets? I was just curious whether or not you'd decided to have governors and whatnot as heads of state, or the British monarch. I think the latter would be nice, particularly as (AFAIK) there are no abrupt changes of monarch which would result in Britain having a different monarch to the rest of her dominions - for example the later Abdication ('36) or WW2-esque surrender events resulting in Edward VIII returning as a Nazi puppet.

Just popped in to say that yesterday I downloaded this and have been enjoying it very much, I'll post some playtest reports later. I'm playing Germany and am now in 1902. Everything, including the installation, has been working flawlessly. Definately a cool mod, the Boxer Rebellion was one of the coolest things on earth and a very well done event series! Good work! :)

Edit: flawlessly? Is that a word?

Velko said:
Just popped in to say that yesterday I downloaded this and have been enjoying it very much, I'll post some playtest reports later. I'm playing Germany and am now in 1902. Everything, including the installation, has been working flawlessly. Definately a cool mod, the Boxer Rebellion was one of the coolest things on earth and a very well done event series! Good work! :)

Edit: flawlessly? Is that a word?

Thanks for the encouragement!

I don't suppose this fix the naval firing distance bug? I don't understand why I seem to be the only one with the bug and it's been in all the versions of this mod since I first tried it a long time ago. The problem is that after awhile (sometimes days, sometimes years) the firing distance gets totally messed up with a lvl 1 destroyer being able to hit Jupiter or something (firing distance being billions of km).

Every time a new version has come out I've completely installed the game from scratch, yet the same bug appear again and again. I spend an entire day trying to solve it, but every time it seemed I had, the problem just happened a bit later.

I love the mod, but with naval warfare being what it is it's impossible to play as a naval nation, and I so desperately want to have a Japanese-American war in the 1920's. Spending years to build up a fleet to render them all obsolete when suddenly a 1890 destroyer can kill any battleship or carrier.

dagas said:
I don't suppose this fix the naval firing distance bug? I

I have heard of this bug but never experienced it myself. It was reported in other forums, so it is not 1914 related. Maybe you can find the solution by searching for those topics. It may have been solved with ARMA 1.2....