• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

bradebuque

Private
6 Badges
Mar 6, 2014
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II
Hi you guys, I just wanna know if they build stuff on their own or is just me not seeing it. I also want to know where is the game file with the instructions for the ai to build stuff so i can dive in it, because i really like to know new stuff about this game. What is the name of the logfile and where is located? Thanks!

A lot of AI behavior is hardcoded and thus invisible to the player. This means things like spouse selection, whether they will build or go to war and so on. For your purposes there are a few things that you CAN look at that can help you deal with the AI.

The first is the concept of AI stats. If you open the console (type the tilde or ~ key) then type in charinfo you will get more info about everything in game, from characters to provinces and more. There are a number of AI stats, being Rationality, Zeal, Greed, honor, and Ambition, these are weights applied internally to determine AI character's decision making.

Another thing you can do is open any of the files in the subfolder /common/buildings, this is where details of all buildings for all holding types in the game sit, including ai_creation_factor which determines how likely the AI is to build that particular building once they have determined to build something.

Also note that the same building rules apply to them as you. They can't build if they don't have the cash, or other requirements.

Gifting them enough cash to allow them to build is a sometimes useful tactic if you want to (a) keep them cash poor and/or (b) save the full cost of paying for an upgrade (but you won't have any say as to if or what they build).

The AI is a bit passive in building, but yes it will do eventually. The best exemple are burgher and theocracy baron tier, they will happily build up to the technology limit. The worst exemple are tribals, they barely seem to build prestige buildings.

The AI is a bit passive in building, but yes it will do eventually. The best exemple are burgher and theocracy baron tier, they will happily build up to the technology limit. The worst exemple are tribals, they barely seem to build prestige buildings.
To be fair, Tribals have a few things they need Prestige for. And anything built tends to get flattened in the next war or raid...

Last edited:
Also note that the same building rules apply to them as you. They can't build if they don't have the cash, or other requirements.

Gifting them enough cash to allow them to build is a sometimes useful tactic if you want to (a) keep them cash poor and/or (b) save the full cost of paying for an upgrade (but you won't have any say as to if or what they build).

This. If you gift the vassal the money then they MAY use it to build the building AND they will love you for giving them a gift. If you build it yourself then the building WILL be built, you will be out of pocket a fair bit more but you will still get a positive opinion boost from the vassal for the construction, IIRC around +10.

Building up 3-4 holdings of a key vassals demesne is a great way to get them onside AND increase the levies that you get from them.

To be fair, Tribals have a few things they need Prestige for. And anything built tends to get flattened in the next war or raid...

It has always been a thing even when retinues didn't cost prestige. I guess the AI is just passive (it has often 300 gold but does not invest it in holdings). Except that with gold, when the ruler dies, it goes to the kids that can eventually spend it. Prestige on the other hand is just gone. Or maybe it's just because AI vassals just sit on their hands, use the prestige councilor job to get extra troops and never use them and lose the prestige (they often have event troops). Or maybe they burn all their prestige in refusing liege CTA.

Anyway, there's something that makes tribals bad at building one way or another. It's hilarious with gold, I'm always gold starved as tribal (that is not germanic and can raid to be rich), it has almost no income but ends up pilling it up anyway. Then I can ransom a century or two of income by ransoming family members...

To add on, my observation so far is that feudal AI for some reason dislikes building walls in favour of other buildings, which is an issue at lower wall levels as they are required for other buildings.

For vassals who control newly built or very undeveloped holdings, building the first town building that generates money can help them amass enough income to start slowly upgrading on their own. If I am playing a very rich ruler (like, ruling Byzantium) I will build Castle/City/Church Walls I, Fortification I, and Town I to help them get started.