• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Remember guys that this is about force limit and not manpower IIRC. Not the same. So it's not such a big advantage.

Although vassals may need to be nerfed a bit... Or rebel more often.

My concern though is that having a big "proxy state" will allow you to circumnavigate the disadvantages of being small or medium sized. If my 2 province Hansa, let's assume a powerful trading nation, gets a lucky break and manages to vassalize, rebuild, and expand Poland, I may very well have a force limit similar to that of England or France and I have all of Poland's actual might as well. When you're 30+ provinces yourself, this bonus might not matter so much, but for smaller states or for the first century or two, I could see this being a very abusable strategy.

Not sure if this is in already, but will vassals break away when they are stronger than you? (Like PU partners do)

My concern though is that having a big "proxy state" will allow you to circumnavigate the disadvantages of being small or medium sized. If my 2 province Hansa, let's assume a powerful trading nation, gets a lucky break and manages to vassalize, rebuild, and expand Poland, I may very well have a force limit similar to that of England or France and I have all of Poland's actual might as well. When you're 30+ provinces yourself, this bonus might not matter so much, but for smaller states or for the first century or two, I could see this being a very abusable strategy.

One could argue that a 2PM Hansa having a 30-province Poland as their vassal is already broken...

Yes, more powerful. But having Switzerland eating up a lot of other small HRE states is a problem - especially from a historical point of view. Switzerland never really was a "country" for most of EU's time period, but rather a patchwork of alliances bewtween a number of leagues, cantons and cities. Quite strong defensively, not so much offesively.

You could make a special governement (which can't be changed), where the Swiss can't actually declare war on anybody (or just leave it at the regency it has in the beginning). But it would still need a means to persuade others to join their union, as you can't force personal unions, no royal marriages and no war to vassalize.

You could make a special governement (which can't be changed), where the Swiss can't actually declare war on anybody (or just leave it at the regency it has in the beginning). But it would still need a means to persuade others to join their union, as you can't force personal unions, no royal marriages and no war to vassalize.

You should still be aloud to change the government, Starting as a Coalition or some such where the ruler cannot declare war (Call to Arms should still work) and being able to change into an Administrative Republic as a national decision if x,y,z are true would be a good approach.

I like the changes, I dont think that would make vassals overpowered at all. For the simple reason that keeping vassals prevent regional 20/20 monopolies, lowering your maximum trade income from about 8000 to 4000 tops even if you own every CoT in the world and most of the map.

Now if I could embargo vassals without penalty, that might be getting OP :)

Yea! One step closer to realizing my dream of world vassalation!

It's fun to do. I did it with my first IN game and again with HTTT. Every vassal makes wars easier.

Not sure if this is in already, but will vassals break away when they are stronger than you? (Like PU partners do)
This is important. Unless you're significantly stronger than the vassal state, said vassal shouldn't be all that loyal, especially if it lacks a common border. (Differing cultures, religions, and governments should also increase the chances of breaking away)

I think this would offset any concerns about force limits. If you must pay ducats or something to keep a significant yet disloyal vassal from breaking away then it kinda evens things out.

One could argue that a 2PM Hansa having a 30-province Poland as their vassal is already broken...
It should be totally possible, and by "totally possible" I mean as soon as such an agreement is concluded the broad opinion of the Sejm walny considers the Polish King out of his mind and mobilizes all forces to nullify the agreement as soon as possible. Unless, of course, tiny Hansa has a lot of ducats to spare.

Then whoever is in charge of finances in Hansa promptly commits suicide in an eloquent act of protest.

Last edited:
It does seem kind of pointless that vassals give manpower. They already give enough manpower in the form of small, yet very dedicated armies. I typically leave sieging to my smaller vassals while I take on a main army. So, I get people to siege for me, and 1000 extra manpower?

It does seem kind of pointless that vassals give manpower. They already give enough manpower in the form of small, yet very dedicated armies. I typically leave sieging to my smaller vassals while I take on a main army. So, I get people to siege for me, and 1000 extra manpower?

You get greater forcelimits, not manpower.

I don't really think vassals adding to your forcelimits is a big deal... I personally almost never keep my armies up to forcelimits and, even if you do, having huge forcelimits doesn't mean that you can effectively use a huge number of troops. In the case of aforementioned TPM Hansa, they may have a forcelimit of 100 regiments from vassals, but that won't give them a very effective army when they only have a manpower pool of 2000 to draw from. To me, the bigger question is why the feature was added at all. It seems questionably justifiable, and vassals didn't need any sort of buff. Oh well, I'm not too worried about it. Something I care much more about is the issue of vassals apparently enjoying their servitude regardless of the power of their overlords. That'd be a great thing to fix.

Besides that, everything sounds great. I especially like the HRE rollback option. I do wish that a rollback possibility would be added to the election of a new emperor, though. In the case of a weaker (stat, legitimacy, and/or prestige-wise) new emperor and especially one from a different realm than his predecessor, there should be a chance/vote to rollback one or more of the previous reforms. I think this is much more realistic than having reforms permanent except via forcible removal, and should make it significantly harder to unite the HRE. It might also make sense for a rollback to happen in the case of imperial authority dropping to 0. This would require some balancing of the required points for imperial actions, but would again make things more realistic (just like vassals should defy weaker overlords, princes should work against an emperor with no authority, even if his armies and treasury are larger than theirs).