• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, that was... something. My main problem with rebelling against a blob that has somehow lost all its troops is that they tend to regain troops faster than the speed of light . by the time your 3000 men kill the initial army and then siege 2 castles, they're back to 10000. Mercs help, but eventually they will show up with a large stack from the far side of the realm.

Great AAR. It is a shame that the last male of Dragomir's line is dead but his legacy still lives on!

I'm so proud to see the Pratiharas contributed so much to the evil Shatrids' downfall! Sisupal would be very proud, probably even more proud that the noble tradition of Pratihara inbreeding lives on.

That is pretty funny how you kept your own son locked up and then killed him :p. Ah, classic CK2 dynastic politics.

I would have chosen the Italian revolt but it seems like you made the right choice. Now let's hope the superblob collapses. How did the Italian revolt end up, anyway?

Well done, really. One great dynasty in form of the Karens is back, another one, the great Dragomir's dynasty, has disappeared.

Now to return to Zoroastrian and fulfill the prophecy!

Well, that was... something. My main problem with rebelling against a blob that has somehow lost all its troops is that they tend to regain troops faster than the speed of light . by the time your 3000 men kill the initial army and then siege 2 castles, they're back to 10000. Mercs help, but eventually they will show up with a large stack from the far side of the realm.

Easy solution- carpet sieges. Oh wait, wrong game.

Part of the reason is that the Caliph was almost double his vassal limit. Before converting to Charlemange he had 50k available. About 10k of those were retinues - which he had to stop reinforcing because of the crippling cost.

He was also almost double his vassal limit, giving him 0 levies and 0 vassal income. So he couldn't afford any mercs either.

irlO02c.jpg

Still, before the Pratiharas attacked he could pull up 10k plus an ally with ~4k. My strategy before that was to wait for the Caliph to die and then hope I could get a few Emirs/Sultan of Egypt in on a faction.

The Caliph's heir:

tbZQYOw.png

Not nearly as lovable as his grandfather. Even still he already has the necessary piety for the full +20 relations with all vassals. +11 from prestige too.

I'm so proud to see the Pratiharas contributed so much to the evil Shatrids' downfall! Sisupal would be very proud, probably even more proud that the noble tradition of Pratihara inbreeding lives on.

That is pretty funny how you kept your own son locked up and then killed him :p. Ah, classic CK2 dynastic politics.

I would have chosen the Italian revolt but it seems like you made the right choice. Now let's hope the superblob collapses. How did the Italian revolt end up, anyway?

Shockingly the current Samrat is not married to a fellow Pratihara (still his second cousin though).

We have no other way to kill our kids now... gotta suck up the tyranny. The fact that I had 100% plot power to imprison makes me think it is an intended feature.

Ennio

bvqJikd.png

Apparently he now has a broken spirit. Whether this is because his revolt failed, or because he now looks like a potato remains unclear.

Well done, really. One great dynasty in form of the Karens is back, another one, the great Dragomir's dynasty, has disappeared.

Now to return to Zoroastrian and fulfill the prophecy!

There are no Zoroastrian provinces left, and only two characters in the game still Zoroastrian. Still, it shall return!

GLcxdBY.jpg

Upon succession I lost most of the steppes, Anatolia completely balkanised and a number of fairly powerful Emirs broke free. Notably that Abbasid block of Baghdad Tigris and Kemanshah has a decent army. It highlights the need for those two duchies to be in loyal hands.

npY0L7r.jpg

Other than the Pratihara, who can field 30k, my other powerful neighbor is Abyssinia who have begun expanding into Arabia.

I should probably check when the last Crusade was called too.

pqa47YS.png

Internally I have no immediate major issues, with the vassal limit now sitting at 30/30 I can raise 30k vassal levies and have an income of 36/month.
There is an independence faction growing powerful, but i can always neuter it by setting some of them free.

Mfr24v9.png

However this should demonstrate why I can't recklessly convert. The +20 from Piety and the +10 from Haj will immediately disappear to be replaced by a -30 Infidel modifier.

I need to fill the realm with good loyal Persians to get rid of that -20 foreigner penalty.

oXA53OB.jpg

Pashang's family. His current heir is the child of his deceased eldest son, however I feel he lacks the diplomacy to manage a large realm. His eldest living son is a legitimized bastard craven imbecile. Not that there is anything wrong with being craven... a noble, kingly trait. So that leaves 7 year old Anushirvan as the likely heir... he seems to be turning out well.

But Pashang is already 53.

Last edited:
I was all time wondering, how 2 prov minor can beat entire empire...
And now it's clear. Conversion saved your ass.
It's stil kinda "meh" cause I was all time assuming we will not convert to the new patch, especially that there are a lot game breaking bugs.

I guess it could be up to the individual player if he/she wants to roll it back, just like it is everyone's choice about what DLCs to use.

I hope the imbecile takes over.

Rolling back won't be possible, I think. I share the opinion that later would have been better, but oh well. But imagine the Caliph's discussion with his marshal:

The fall of the Shatrid Empire

'India is ripe for the taking. Those incestous Pratiharas will see the light of Allah!'
'I fear this won't be as easy, o great Caliph. Divine influence has changed the rules.'
'We will win, like all the wars before! Attack!'

later:
'The Emir of Tabaristan claims his son is a better Caliph then you are. He has declared war.'
'What can one Emir do against the greatest empire since the fall of the Umayyads?'
'I have warned you. The rules have changed. The empire is inefficiently governed and your vassals are not providing anything. Also, your retinue is ruining us.'

Shahanshah Pashang Karen (Pt. 2)

3Uo3E7j.jpg

I send my chancellor to make nice with the Pratiharas, getting invaded would be a tad inconvenient.

Other than that I declare war. I feel it would be unsporting to pick off the targets one by one. Its also annoying to dismiss and re-raise levies. RIP massive, free retinues and dirt cheap mercs.

yGWy7zX.png

Five or so of these pop off within a 3 year period. Not that I need the cash, with feudal tax income is at ~40/month.

MaaqKMD.png

The two best generals I can find, a 23 martial lunatic Emir, and my much despised 18 martial cousin. Hopefully these two plus General I-outnumber-you-at-least-3:2 should win all battles.

RAvzWUs.png

Well, there goes Baghdad's army.

lDV143t.png

Meanwhile Pashang, campaigning in the north against Dihistan and Samarkand, becomes an organiser. March times are so long that this is a no-brainer.

MG5xofi.png

One of the few steppe provinces I have left revolts.

gdwwDK5.png

With a 70% annual mtth the Samrat will love me in no time.

hcwFXkg.jpg

A peasant revolt occurs. This seems to offend Tigris who had, until now, been sitting tight in their capital.

YY972Dr.png

Woo! free Piety!

BXBXryJ.png

For a coward, Pashang seems to take a surprisingly active part in the battles he commands.

Buqy5VN.png

It is now 4 years later, most of the wars are at 100% WS.

Some Miaphysites celebrate in the Sinai.

More Piety...

XHl1i1T.png

Perhaps its overwork.

qCr036D.png

Some stress relief is in order.

Behrad is Pashang's nephew. Incidentally he was sleeping with Behrad's mother too before her husband took her with him to join the Bekhtashi order.

bwOeA7c.png

The only battle of the war worth mentioning was against Tigris, where a flank and the center collapsed. Sadly both the Mad Emir and my maligned cousin had died by this point.

The Tigran Emir was captured in the battle though, and with that there was only one more Emir to get to 100%.

eOM9CUx.png

I vassalise the Bekhtashi. They have some relatives I want back.

SYaWXx6.png

All fit and healthy again.

I hope the imbecile takes over.

69eomgh.png

Having killed one son already, and being the firstborn of Pashang's most beloved wife, Banafsheh, he merely imprisons the boy and leaves the rest to fate.

trQhQ8o.jpg

The wars won. An adventurer war was inherited from Baghdad. He has about 12k.

a7A910s.png

And so the reorganisation of the realm begins.

nzg5io4.png

Everything is proceeding according to plan.

Edit: I've finished playing, here is the save. (Patch 2.2.0.1)
I'll organise the remaining screenshots tomorrow.

Last edited: