• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'd really like to read that explanation.
It has to be either one of the most convoluted or one of the most brilliant texts ever written. :)

There never was one. The move into Mun happened AFTER the German builds were made public. Germany is just blowing smoke in the public forum.

The two fleet build announced to the world Germany's new intentions. Everybody reacted to that build, not to any 'explanations' that were made. The new ships in Kiel and Berlin were explanation enough...as they could have no other purpose than to attack Britain.

There never was one. The move into Mun happened AFTER the German builds were made public. Germany is just blowing smoke in the public forum.

The two fleet build announced to the world Germany's new intentions. Everybody reacted to that build, not to any 'explanations' that were made. The new ships in Kiel and Berlin were explanation enough...as they could have no other purpose than to attack Britain.

Yes. That was my point. I just found the attempted German propaganda funny, because it is so blatantly obvious to anybody who has played even one turn of Diplomacy, that Germany stabbed England and not the other way round. ;)

So what you're saying is that building a fleet gives a casus belli to Britain? What, they have a monopoly on building fleets and anyone who builds a fleet is fair game for an attack?

Germany has six coastal provinces to defend, and only three inland ones. Britain has eight coastal and one inland. Britain has six fleets and three armies where Germany has four fleets and five armies. Building two fleets actually just maintains the balance between our countries, it doesn't swing it in our favor, and it's the same ratio of fleets/coastal, armies/inland as the British have. How is that a betrayal? What's good for the goose is good for the gander, no?

Those four fleets were to be used to defend the extensive coastline, and free up two armies for other duties. Plus, by reducing the disparity between our forces, it decreases the chances that Britain will stab us. The lesson from The Concert of Europe is that allies work best when a stab would lead to internecine warfare... precisely what this situation is going to become, as the British still outnumber us 3:2 for fleets, and 3 of our armies are in Russia.

Alas, after demanding an explanation for building two fleets, as though this contravened some agreement we had, the British never replied, and we planned for the worst. Which proved sensible. Saying that building the two fleets is why Britain attacked us is the same as saying Japan attacked Pearl Harbor because the US Pacific Fleet was stationed there.

"Not bloody likely" as a friend of mine always says.

You gave us no choice, you didn't reply when we explained why we built two fleets. Your orders this turn are aggressive toward us (Bur - Mun), clearly if we'd trusted you not to do something hostile over a mere two fleets then we'd right now be looking on in horror as you force-fed our citizens fish and chips and warm beer.

What should we reply when you are building 2 fleets and before you have moved to Hol. Moving alone Hol was enough for CB while we always tried hard to not too trouble you. Our army and fleets were always in distance from your land. And If we actually wanted to attack you, then we would have prepared our fleets and army positions. But your move shows you are pretty prepared for war.

Unless they find some really big wheels to staple onto that fleet in Sevastopol, they aint coming after us.

So this is reason you have built 2 fleets. I will give reply to your post when I have use PC.

What should we reply when you are building 2 fleets and before you have moved to Hol. Moving alone Hol was enough for CB while we always tried hard to not too trouble you. Our army and fleets were always in distance from your land.

Spring 1905, the turn we moved A Kie - Hol. Notice how you've got a Fleet in Belgium that turn?

Again, double standard: it is okay for you to position a unit right on our border, but not us?

And If we actually wanted to attack you, then we would have prepared our fleets and army positions. But your move shows you are pretty prepared for war.

You weren't ideally position... so what? What's your point? Are you saying we have nothing to fear until you've got F Bar, F Ska, F Hel, F Nth, F Eng, F Nwy, A Bel, A Bur, A Par? It's not like we're ideally positioned: F Ber is useful for what? F BoT is useful for what? No army in Ruh? How does the fact that I haven't left myself totally defenseless against you prove that I'm hostile?

So this is reason you have built 2 fleets. I will give reply to your post when I have use PC.

I had two fleets and Hol, Kie, Den, Ber, Swe, Stp to defend. This gave you an immense advantage in any contest of coastal regions, because I could never gain the initiative over you. I've tried to defend Swe and Stp from Britain before, and when they've got more fleets than you it's a terrible challenge - plus you'll never have the chance to threaten their home isles. Gives them a free hand against you. At this particular moment you've denuded your defenses for the attack on France. But for all I knew you'd shuffle everything back toward me when you were done with them, rather than go after Italy, and if you did that, I'd be pretty helpless against six fleets on my coast. Once you took an SC or two off me you could bulk up your armies to grab the inland ones.

Joeb and I enjoyed a very successful alliance in The Concert of Europe. My Plan A was a tied win with Joeb, Plan B was a solo victory. Virtually the whole time we had pretty balanced forces along our mutual border. Then when I thinned my defenses against Joeb, he used that as a lever. In that case he used it to achieve a joint-victory when I was ahead on points. But it could easily have been used for a solo victory if things were going his way. Lesson: alliances work best when neither side has the advantage. when it was 2 fleets against 6, you had the advantage. Now we are even.

Alas, after demanding an explanation for building two fleets, as though this contravened some agreement we had, the British never replied, and we planned for the worst. Which proved sensible. Saying that building the two fleets is why Britain attacked us is the same as saying Japan attacked Pearl Harbor because the US Pacific Fleet was stationed there.

Erm, they did? Why would they strike an empty port?

Erm, they did? Why would they strike an empty port?

Here, I'll spell it out for you: saying that it's OK for Britain to attack us because we built two fleets that are "dangerous" to them (even though they still outnumber us significantly at sea) is the same as saying the attack on Pearl Harbor was justified because the US Pacific Fleet was positioned threateningly against the Japanese.

They're still the aggressors, even if they say they felt they were pre-empting an attack.

EDIT

And just a reply to your pedantry/disingenuousness, Pearl Harbor was a major fleet base from which the US could stage operations. The bombing of the fuel tanks there, as well as the drydocks, and similar logistical facilities, would have made it very challenging for the US Pacific Fleet to operate in the Pacific, even if the battlefleet hadn't been destroyed. There have been those who argued that a bigger strategic blow would have been imparted on the US Navy by putting more emphasis on those, and less on the battleships... I don't really agree, but a pedantic interpretation begets a pedantic reply: Pearl Harbor was an important strategic target even without the Pacific Fleet there.

The British Army in Burgundy retreats to Ruhr.

The British Fleet on the north coast of Spain continues its voyage and arrives at the south coast.

1906spring.jpg

Thus ends Spring, 1906. We now continue to the Movement and Diplomacy Phase, Fall, 1906. The deadline for orders will be 07:00 GMT, the 8th of November, more than 50 hours from now.