• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 21: The Price of Peace
The Double Treaty – The Rome Peace
Jun 8 1589 – Jul 13 1591

------------

I’m sorry to break the narrative that I normally provide in each chapter but this chapter is not normal and I felt it necessary to explain the happenings of this short but crucial period.

Now I know that many players out there make it a rule not to reload a game however I find it acceptable in some cases. Europa Universalis II has an interesting AI mechanism whereby the AI reassesses their situation at the beginning of each session. This generally leads to a rush of merchants and several new war declarations being handed out in the first few days of the new session. Because of these well-known inconsistencies in the gameplay, I believe the ideal game is one play over a single session, however we all need sleep. So to counter this unrealistic gameplay I sometimes reload the game to effectively restart the session if I feel the AI has made an unfair reassessment of the game which in know way reflect the course the game was taking the previous session. However unlike in some other games, where reloading can be used to exploit known tactics that the AI will make, I find that in EUII the AI are far more unpredictable in their reassessments thus making the gain from reloading the game minimal. So I suppose my justification of reloading the game is that it makes the game fairer.

To bring this argument into context, the conclusion of the last chapter was also the conclusion of my session for that day. The session had been lengthy considering I play on Normal speed and had just completed 10 years of war. The next day when I came back to begin the next session I faced the toughest situation I have yet faced in this particular game and if people wish for it, I have a save game which I can turn into a scenario so that people can experience it for themselves. Indeed, this situation took me several days to figure a way out of and, yes, I did reload the game several times, a dozen times atleast.

Beginning the new session for the first time I looked forward to bringing Franconia into peace and return it prosperity by first defeating the rampant rebels and lowering war exhaustion. The war with France had just finished, Burgundy and Luxembourgh had been vassalised whilst three more provinces had recently been captured from Austria. To begin the session I decided to retract my two armies, the Ansbach and the Köln, which were both in France and send them to defeat the rebels close to capturing Mecklemburg and Provence. After just a couple of days had past, the Swedes and Danes reassessed their situations and declared war; so much for a lengthy peace and war exhaustion dropping. Thankfully the only way they could get to me over the Baltic which allowed me to at first ignore their declaration as it would take month for them to arrive in which time Mecklemburg would be lost. The Ansbach Army reached Mecklemburg in October and was able to defeat them but the Köln Army would fail in Provence. Soon enough the Swedish troops begin landing on the northern shores and due to the extensive war exhaustion, more rebellions begin popping up. Now this situation is cumbersome but manageable; the Swedes and Danes are far inferior for Franconia and over time the rebellions would be beaten and eventually the war exhaustion lower but this was only the half of it. One year after the session begins, in July 1590 the peace runs out with the Papal States. This allows Austria to declare war on us citing our 25 point badboy as reason enough and their alliance members the Papal States, Modena and France to join them. This is just 1 year after a treaty was made with France but because they joined the Austrian alliance during the previous war they are able to honour the alliance and join the war against Franconia without a loss of stability at all. This creates a disastrous situation, enemies on all sides, huge war exhaustion, rebels still reeking havoc throughout the countryside and an already diminished army and only the reserved Dutch to help me. Despite the unfairness of the French joining the war, I decide to push on only to find myself completely outgunned by French leader Henri IV who, after appearing in Liguria, is able to make light work of my Köln Army and siege and assault pretty much anything he wishes. Meanwhile the rejuvenated Austrians, the Papal and Modena forces march through Tyrol, Ostmarch and Odenburg using their supreme numbers to loot and assault as they go. The Dutch remain unmoved as the main French forces cross Luxembourgh to the Rhine provinces. Before the year is out I pretty much find myself with no army left and far fewer provinces to work with. And this is playing on easy!

Time to restart the session. Perhaps this time things will happen differently. I start the session with 2 diplomats and $87. I have a total of 36000 men, 6000 in Limousin and 26000 in Champagne. The rebels have 13000 men in Mecklemburg and 18000 in Provence. What can I muster? The first few attempts I try the similar tactic, defeat the rebels first and hope the enemies don’t declare war yet everytime they do; Sweden within the first few days and then the Austrian alliance 13 months later. I finally decide to try and deter the enemies from declaring war on me by expanding my alliance to makes us look more menacing and deadly. I add Burgundy to the alliance, despite them actually having no army, and try to bribe Luxembourgh enough to get them to join. The first time I did this, the bribes failed however the presence alone of Burgundy in the alliance was enough to deter the Swedes. This made the situation somewhat easier as now I would atleast have 13 months of peace to lower war exhaustion and I could now focus the men on defeating the rebellions whose numbers and skill level were pretty much tit-to-tat with our own making the battles difficult to win. Ok let’s see what happens when July 1590 will Burgundy’s presence deter the Austrians as well? The answer is no. The Austrians, Papal States, Modena and France all act as though nothing has changed and declare war in the usual manner and although the lowering in war exhaustion has raised incomes a bit, I can still only afford a few thousand men which won’t even replace the numbers lost against the rebels. The ensuing war begins to go the same way as the last. Henri IV proves invincible so before I end up losing all my provinces and end up vassalised by Austria or something I restart the game again.

After sleeping on the conundrum I come up with a new strategy, I will try to bribe Austria not to declare war on me. I start the game in the same way by making Burgundy my ally and sending my armies to kill the rebels. Sweden once again stays silent and I use my $87 to bribe Austria. With Austria’s size, $87 barely pays for a personal gift and it will require more than that to get their relations from -200 to a level where they won’t declare war. I decide to take out a loan of $200. It takes a few attempt (reloads) for the bribes to actually do more than +20 relations but eventually I manage to make some headway. One time I manage to raise Austria’s relations to about -50 before the 13 months is up. There’s no way they will declare war this time, I think to myself. Indeed they don’t, the Papal States do and Austria just honour the alliance. The next few times I try the same thing on the equally expensive to bribe Papal States. The raise their relations to neutral and then Austria declares war and the Papal States honour the alliance. There seems to be no answer. I try to bribe both of them but I find that I don’t have enough diplomats and would need the luckiest state gifts ever to raise the relations of both nations in time. Another idea, I’ll focus on one country and bribe them enough to create a royal marriage. This would require very lucky state gifts and two loans to be taken out but I manage to raise relations with Austria to +75 and create a royal marriage. July 1590 rolls around again and unbelievably Austria breaks the royal marriage to join the war declares by the Papal States. At this stage I’m practically ready to give the whole game up.

Another restless night later and I decide that here I am taking loan after loan out so that I can bribe my enemies. Why don’t I just use these loans to build a huge army, something that will be able to defeat Henri IV no matter how big his head is? $400 extra will buy me about 60000 more men, effectively tripling my army size, with which to take into the war.

On about my 15th attempt of starting the same saved game, I commence on the 8th of June 1589. That very day I use my $87 to bribe Luxembourgh twice, I take out two loans of $200 each and I ask Burgundy to join my alliance. Immediately I begin building troops in whichever cities have low enough war exhaustion to produce them and once again I bring my armies from France home to take out the rebels. The Ansbach Army arrives ready to strikes the Mecklemburg rebels just as fresh forces are amassing alongside in September. The poor rebels had no hope this time and were slaughtered as mere training for the new troops. The now huge army swung around and headed south to Provence where the Köln Army was waiting to strike. Still as the troops were on route, a rebellion sparked in Lyonnais so the columns of men took a slight detour before mounting in Piemonte for the attack. Time was running out yet it was all according to plan in fact better than to plan as an Exceptional year was announced in February. In May the assault in the Provence rebels was made and it would only take 9 days to break them. I now had 2 months to reposition the men for the war in which time I also bring Luxembourgh into the alliance.

I didn’t want this war to be like any other war. I already had all the war exhaustion I needed, I planned this to be the quickest in and out operation I’d ever performed. I mounted two massive armies close to 50000 each, one in Provence (Piemonte couldn’t support it) and one in Salzburg. July came and went and there was no declaration. Could the greater manpower have persuaded the Austrians not to attack? No, they were just a few days slower; the declaration came in August 1590. By the end of the month the Ansbach Army had steamed into Austria and defeated 2 armies in 3 days and laid siege. Within a month, the Köln Army met Henri IV in Liguria but narrowly failed to win the battle. In November Henri IV counter-attacked into Piemonte but the huge numbers made thousands of Henri’s men die to attrition and they were sent packing to Milan whilst the Köln Army now strolled into Liguria. There was no time for a siege on Liguria as the Austrians were already entering Tyrol and Ostmarch so an assault was initiated and by February the important CoT was ours. The next target was to march south to Roma itself, considering the Papal States were the alliance leader its possession of its capital should have them screaming for peace. The Modena army was defeated in Emilia and then the Pope was defeated in Romagna but then Odenburg fell into Austrians hands, I had to be quick. It was then that a foreign drill instructor became available and in the heat of the battle his skills were utilized only to put Franconia into even further debt as a third loan was arranged. The Köln Army made it to Roma in May but in the same month the French navy got busy as Wabana was lost. The Köln Army was ambushed mid-assault and forced to retreat to Napoli but by July I decided it was time to get some serious warscore as two more colonies Placentia and Jamaica both fell into French hands. The Ansbach Army who had breached the walls of Wien by siege was sent in to assault and by the 13th of July it had fallen. Without further a do, a diplomat was sent to Rome and peace was announced the same day.

I had finally done it; peace with the major threat was assured for a further 5 years and this time I would not see another France-like debacle where they would break the truce after a few months. Peace however had come at a huge price to Franconia. It had been a bumpy last 12 years for the whole empire, badboy was still atrocious and war exhaustion was at epidemic proportions and now to add to it all Franconia had 3 loans to pay. Julius Echter was still the king of Franconia and he still had Burgundy as his vassal but boy would his administrative skills get tested over the next few years.

----------
Meanwhile around Europe...
  • Nothing of note
Meanwhile around the World...
  • 1590 Malwa annexed by Vijayanagar

Coming soon... Chapter 22: The Indebted Years (and back to narrative)

Ouch... I pity you for those wars. But still, whatever the consequences, you've overcome it. Congradulations.

I often find it much better to play V Hard difficulty and AI as COWARD

This is a much more historical tactic because the economy IS difficult to control, and few countries offhandedly went to war. You should try it!

SirruShan - I now look forward to a lengthy period of peace with my vassals.

AmbassadeBelgie - Indeed, i now realise what the difficulty levels really mean. I mean, i shouldn't really be leading the way technologically and economically since i only had 1 reasonably poor CoT for a long time. But that's 'easy' for you. And yeh, 'normal' aggressiveness seems to make most my neighbours declare war on me if my badboy reaches half the limit. I always thought badboy wars only occur on very hard and only when you pass the limit. I will definitely be changing difficulty next time.

A general question to the readership now, where would you like to me conquer next:

1: Unite the german provinces by vassalising the small protestant states and then waiting for the Edict of Tolerance before annexing?

2: Refound Charlemagne's Frankish Empire by conquering Neustria (France) at the height of their power to start the Austrasian (German) frank dynasty?

3: Finish the job i started by conquering the rest of Austria.

4: Some other, less realistic goal like conquer England or Italy?

1. sounds very cliche sorry ;) I would much rather support 2. especially if you change your flag to the luxemburg flag and the nation name to Imperium Caroli Magni :D

Consequently, I would enjoy seeing 3. happen only once 2. has been accomplished :p Let's keep 4. for once we've taken over what Napoleon controlled in 1809 ;)

May I also add that this was a great idea, I'm happy to have an influence, however slight, in this excellent AAR! :D Keep it up!

2, and possibly 3 if you have the time.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sirrushan- Surely i'll have enough time to do both, the game's only half over. Although i will be fighting against Louis XIV's supremacy which could take some doing. I look forward to it.

AmbassadeBelgie- Hmm honesty i could probably do 1 during a peace treaty i have with the French or something. It shouldn't take much, most of them are in the one alliance and once i make them vassals i won't need to worry about them much. Yeh i thought 2 sounded the best too, challenging yet historically viable and justifiable. But i'm not changing my flag :mad: The saw-tooth red and white flag shall rule forever!

Should have next chapter ready this weekend.

Can't wait! HEY! IT'S THE WEEKEND YO! :p

Well just to let you know i've got university exams over the next month or so, so don't expect too much progress on this. Afterwards i have about a 3 week break and should be able to play/write heaps. I'll still try to update during the exam study period but i can't make any promises of any regularity. As for this update i promised on the weekend. I've wrote about half of it before getting distracted, hope to finish it tomorrow.

Don't worry, we know what comes first, take it easy :)

Chapter 22: The Indebted Years
The Rome Peace – The Exceptional Year of 1603
Jul 13 1591 – Feb 27 1603

------------

King Julius Echter eased a sigh of relief. After 12 hard years, Franconia was finally at peace and he could finally afford to sigh. Or could he? For Franconia could afford nothing after the wars had pushed its economy into a serious depression that forced Julius to take out 3 loans. He cut the sigh short in order to save whatever he could and got back to his neverending workload. As of July 1591 Franconia was still a place of aristocratic disapproval but Julius was working on improving his image. But by the time the Köln Army shipped home from Rome, Hannover erupted into revolt. The threat was soon extinguished by the Ansbach Army and then Julius was able to raise his stability in December.

Just as the war exhaustion was subsiding and Julius was re-emerging as a beloved leader the worst of public relations nightmare came true. In May 1592, Julius took to storing his urine in jars and wore tissue boxes on his feet. His enemies labeled him nuts and completely incapable of governance, which at the time, it was safe to say he probably was. One of his enemies knew actions speak louder than words and 3 months later Holstein declared war who were followed by Bremen, Gotland, Denmark and Pommern. Whilst Julius kept babbling about a so-called goose made from spruce, his advisors took action to save his empire. This alliance has surprisingly sizable armies which would require both the Köln and Ansbach Armies to defeat as they both headed to Bremen and defeated their armies 4 times in 5 months. The Danes then landed in Louga and destroyed the trading post yet again whilst the Pomeranians were besieging Mecklemburg. The advisors were unflinching however as they knew that Bremen was the alliance leader and when their city fell in June 1593 and became vassals of Franconia the war was over just as the Dutch were beginning the march to the front.

Julius awoke from his temporary insanity to find Mecklemburg looted and a new vassal attempting to pay tribute with him. He wondered whether in fact he was still hallucinating and demanded an explanation. After things were sorted, Julius arranged a map trade with the Netherlands as well as Orissa, whom he had been successful in bribing; a black forest cake in exchange for maps. In early 1594, Hannover converted to Catholicism which allowed Julius to cross another goal off his to do list but now also meant that the only non-catholic provinces in his kingdom were the most fanatical to their cause and would provide much resistance before converting.

The next couple of years went by quietly for Franconia. Julius was still in debt but was keeping a policy of keeping the budget in surplus, slowly saving money as each loan’s expiration approached whilst not sacrificing his trade or colonial progress. All war exhaustion was now eliminated and so Franconia’s production was bursting at the seams again with yearly income exceeding $250. Before long the first of the loans was repaid but he had overspent in the month preceding the repayment of the second and was forced to extend it. Not that that seemed to worry him.

Ever vigilant, Julius was keeping a close eye on his neighbours in case they were planning another war. For the time being the Austrian alliance was preoccupied by a war against Apulia. Even when Apulia fell and was annexed by Austria in Mar 1596 they were further preoccupied by Milan declaring independence from France. This, coupled with Franconia’s falling badboy gave some security to Julius. He no longer felt that a declaration from an enemy was imminent and this security was reinforced when the truce ran out with Austria and they did not declare war. As 1497 arrived another loan was repaid and prosperity was reigning throughout Franconia. However just as Julius was considering another sigh of relief things changed for the worse. The aforementioned security was demolished as Austria, having soundly defeated the Lombards, declared war in August 1597.

Although Julius was not expecting this war that doesn’t mean he wasn’t prepared. He had his men stationed close to his borders so that in the event of war he could, in much the same way as the last war, blitzkrieg the enemy lines and take a stranglehold on the strategically key provinces. Within a month, the Ansbach Army was in Austria, the Köln Army was in Cevennes whilst a fleet was on route to Roma carrying a covering regiment. The Ansbach Army found itself outgunned losing the Austrians in Austria, Salzburg and Ostmarch before decided not to take them head on by taking the long route through Bohemia to liberate the siege on Odenburg instead. In early 1598, the siege on Cevennes was abandoned after limited enemy naval activity was noticed in the Mediterranean and the Köln Army was shipped to Roma to lay siege. On the other hand, they seemed to have complete naval supremacy in the West because in January the French landed in Carolina and, with the colonial guard been sent up the coast to Bas St-Laurent, there was no resistance within miles. By March Julius was spending the treasury on new troops to replace the losses when a Boundary Dispute found him with nothing to settle the issue with so he was forced to take out another loan. These new troops were influential in the besieging of Liguria. By mid-year, the French in Roanoke, who had moved up from Carolina, were defeated, Manicougan was under siege, a siege on Ostmarch was lifted but Jamaica had fallen. The war was looking controllable for Julius as he had the major targets Liguria and Roma under siege and his enemies were unable to besiege anything. However his boundary dispute, which he thought he had settled, came back with a vengeance as Holstein declared war in July 1598 bringing with them Gotland, Denmark and Pommern.

Julius was now forced to speeden things up so he decided to turn all of his sieges in assaults just as the French landed in Chesapeake. Pest was the first to fall and, after the Austrians were defeated in Tyrol and Roma fell two weeks later, the Pope was unable to resist a peace when offered in September for just a few coins. It would take a few months for Julius’s men to travel from the southern front to the northern in which time the fleets of Denmark, Holstein and Pommern had defeated the Franconians in the Sund before besieging Mecklemburg in force. The Ansbach Army combined with three other regiments to attack Mecklemburg in January 1599. The battle was a more like an annihilation of the Baltic armies which then left Julius the opportunity to counterattack. Within 50 days, Holstein, Vorpommern and Jylland were put under siege and the Franconians were remorseless. Battle after battle was won and even after the Danes landed in Louga, Julius was able to use his commanding position to cease the war by declaring peace with Gotland in April. Franconia was at peace again and with that Julius could once again focus on repaying his loans of which he now had 3 outstanding.

Political Map of Europe, Turn of the 17th Century

With the wars now over the Franconian world went quiet once more. The only eventful happening was the Table trading post was being upgraded to a colony. The new colony flourished over the southern hemispheric summer of 1599/1600 and by the New Year had become a centre of trade for southern Africa. Julius was ecstatic as what seemed like a 3rd CoT was coming his way but news arrived on the same day that the centre of trade in Mobile was shutting down due to lack of competition. The effect of these 2 events on Franconia’s economy was actually minute. About half of the Mobile market’s influence was over Franconian provinces which reverted to sending their goods back to Mecklemburg whilst the loss of the rest was near enough to matched by the gain of the smaller Table market. Julius was quick to establish a monopoly in Table as, once again, nobody else was interested in trading in Table. The year 1601 was uneventful as Julius was able to pay back his third last loan and when the taxes arrived in 1602 he paid back another. However a month later Julius would fall foul to corruption and with no money left to sort it out he was forced to ignore it, raising his inflation. Further bad news occurred in March when the Protestants in Anhalt failed to convert and took to arms. The Ansbach Army was soon on the scene but failed to subdue the violence until September.

As 1603 arrived Julius was saving up for paying off his final loan whilst at the same time expanding colonies in Mobile and Table. However as the winter ended, it became obvious that this year was an exceptional year as the winter had yielded a bumper crop which would provide great return at the markets. Julius was the greatest recipient of the bonuses but the effects were nationwide as inflation dropped. With this good fortune Franconia’s treasury was filled to capacity and there was now no doubt that Julius would be able to repay the final loan. Franconia, the world largest economy, would be free from debt for the first time in over a decade. It was the end of Julius’s economic crisis which would go down in history as his administrative triumph but it was far from the end for Julius. He may have been becoming grey-headed but there were still goals yet unattained for Julius who was unequivocally setting a benchmark for Franconian kings to come.

----------
  • 1593 Moldavia declares independence from Poland
  • 1594 Moldavia annexed by Poland
  • 1596 Apulia annexed by Austria
  • 1596 Milan declares independence from France
  • 1597 Milan annexed by Austria
  • 1599 Bulgaria declares independence from Poland
  • 1600 Bulgaria annexed by Wallachia
  • 1601 Sweden diplovassalise Norway
  • 1601 Russia diplovassalise Venice
  • 1596 Incans capture Valparaiso from Spain
  • 1597 Russia captures Kalmuk and Uralsk from Golden Horde
  • 1598 Jodhpur captures Bikaner from Mughals
  • 1598 Vijayanagar diploannexes Jodhpur
  • 1601 Ashanti captures Walata from Songhai

Coming soon... Chapter 23: Rumble in the Bronx

Well i said i would be busy for about a month and now that month has passed so i have time again to update this. Here's the long-awaited 23rd chapter.

Chapter 23: Rumble in the Bronx
The Exceptional Year of 1603 – Conquistador Discovery
Feb 27 1603 – Aug 8 1612

------------

It was 1603, not long into the new century. Julius Echter was bringing Franconia into the new century after turning a new leaf. His money worries were behind as were his long expensive wars against Burgundy, Austria and France. Coming off an exceptional year economically for Franconia, Julius began by inviting Bremen into the alliance. Even though Bremen was a protestant state another alliance member is another alliance member and some day in the future it may come back to the true faith of Catholicism. With the new found funds Julius invested in his merchants reviving trade in Tago and Andalusia for the first time years, somehow he still had some merchants present there. Additionally, the Table and Mobile colonies were expanded once more.

This colonial and economic development continued without event for a further 2 years as Julius planned his next move. He knew it had to be an intermediate goal as he was still waiting for his badboy to decrease enough to diploannex Burgundy without starting a world war. He pondered how he could expand his empire without gaining badboy when the light bulb turned on inside his head. Nobody would notice if he invaded the tribes bordering Emsland. It would be seen as ‘civilising’ the natives. Furthermore the resistance would be infinitesimal. Which tribe should he choose to ‘civilise’ then? (see fig 1) To the west were the Shawnee people. They had conquered the Cherokee and Creek long before Ems’ expeditions and were the powerhouse American tribe. Conquering the Shawnee tribe was a larger endeavour than Julius needed for the time being; despite their inferiority, their military was large enough to prove a handful. To the North were the Iroquois tribe. Julius thought this was a better prospect because they were closer to Chesapeake, the only colonial city in the region however conquering the Iroquois would leave Emsland stuck between two Indian tribes. To the east was the Lenape tribe; a small, insignificant tribe owning rich provinces. They were also right next to Chesapeake and on the coast allowing for easy access. Julius chose to invade the Lenape and during 1605 built his troops up in Chesapeake to over 10000.

Fig 1: The natives surrounding Emsland, 1603.

Fig 2: Ready for war, March 1606

By March 1606 all preparations had been made and war was declared on the 6th; Julius utilized his alliance so it wouldn’t expire. The 16000 man strong regiment marched across the Susquehanna River into Delaware defeating the garrison in April. Unfortunately the Lenape had fortified their cities so it would be an easy land grab. However the early success of the invasion raised hopes as the navy was reformed to coincide with the prowess. 5000 men were left to besiege Delaware whilst the rest moved north to their capital in Susquehanna. After defeating the small defending force Julius decided to besiege all the cities at once to prevent any new troops being built and to do this he needed to build some new troops of his own. The new troops arrived in Delaware in August and in September the main Lenape army was quashed trying to liberate Susquehanna. Following up from the success a force was mounted to explore and invade Manhattan. The force was greeted with a less than cordial reception and so the Lenape army was defeated again and a siege laid on the island.

By December, forces in Delaware had inflated enough to assault the city. The militia stood no chance against the greatly superior Franconian military and the province was under Julius’s control by Christmas. After three more subsequent battles during the winter, the Lenape army was routed to the brink of elimination. In February the forces from Delaware were ready to assault Manhattan and by May 1507 Susquehanna was also assaulted resulting in the capture of the Chief and force-annexation of the entire state as a part of Emsland. The court was very satisified with Julius’s handling of the entire situation. Losses were minimal and the whole war was over in just over a year. Their happiness overflowed into a gift to the state and Julius was proud as punch. It would not be long before fellow colonial powers would begin to follow his idea as England began an invasion of the Huron tribe later that same year.

In all this time Franconia’s colonies of Table and Mobile had been upgraded to full city status and the colonists were now flocking to sunny Jamaica instead. There was no further ado until April Fools Day 1608 when some wise guy made up a rumour about peasants losing their citizenship. This innocent rumour spread into widespread unhappiness amongst the peasantry and there were revolts in Hannover and Piemonte. Luckily troops had been stationed in Hannover and that threat was quickly snuffed but the Piemonte rioters were stiffer. Security in the region would not be secured until August when stability rose across the land.

On the 9th of January 1609, the Austrians issued a new centre of trade in Bohemia. Being located next to the Franconian capital Nuremburg, the new centre of trade encapsulated several Franconian provinces and gave Julius very cheap merchant travel costs. Julius was never one to miss an opportunity and even in its infant state he decided to send all his available merchants there. The returns greatly outweighed the costs and Franconia’s economy boomed to a new level as a result allowing level 14 Land Tech to be discovered. A year later, Julius was so pleased with the new centre that he setup a monopoly there but unlike his previous monopolies in Mobile and Table, other nations were competing in Bohemia so the centre’s future seemed fruitfully sound.

The State of Europe, Mar 1609

The following two years, 1610 and 1611, were prosperously quiet. Long gone were the bankrupt days of ten years previous but Julius was still waiting for his badboy to drop. Another 5 or so years to waste before his badboy would be below 16, the self-set maximum before he could diplo-annex Burgundy. He knew Burgundy had 11 provinces and he didn’t want to cross the 25 mark if possible. It seemed as though Julius would have a quiet 5 years, simply converting the pagan ex-Lenape provinces and colonizing Jamaica, as he had done the previous two years, before Julius decided to complete the exploration of the parts of Emsland that Ems himself had missed. This included the exploration of the known-to-be Shawnee provinces of Alabama and Tennessee in the spring 1512. It was these simple discoveries that brought back a certain vibe throughout Franconia. There was something exciting brewing back home, or rather someone. A man named Bochum from Oldenburg excited by this exploration vibe, applied to Julius to become an official conquistador for Franconia. How could Julius refuse and so in the summer of 1512 Franconia’s third conquistador was born and despite the incredible expectations he had to live up to in the wake of Ems he was unfazed as he set out from Oldenburg towards the Mecklemburg docks.

----------
  • 1604 Poland capture Thrace from Ottoman Empire
  • 1606 Moldavia declares independence from Poland
  • 1607 France diplo-vassalise Modena
  • 1607 Wallachia annexes Moldavia
  • 1607 Denmark diplo-vassalise Holstein
  • 1608 Mazovia defects from Poland to Lithuania
  • 1609 Poitou defects from Burgundy to France
  • 1610 Bulgaria declares independence from Poland
  • 1611 Wallachia annexes Bulgaria
  • 1611 Bosnia declares independence from Poland
  • 1603 Bengal diploannexes Arakan
  • 1604 Russia captures Orenburg from Golden Horde
  • 1604 Daghestan and Kurdistan defect from Persia to Russia
  • 1606 Magallanes defects from Sweden to Spain
  • 1607 France captures Gambia from Ashanti
  • 1609 Vijayanagar diplo-vassalise Punjab
  • 1610 Russia annexes Golden Horde
  • 1612 Mameluks becomes sole defender of the Shiite faith

Coming soon... Chapter 24: Scope and Compass

good AAR. Will you conquer Alsace (Elsass - Lothringen) further? I wish to add a event idea:

- Austria shall join you (when vassalized), and will create Hungary, Bohemia and Croatia.
- You'll get its leaders.
- You'll become Germany.
- You receive cores to all HRE, become different cultures.
- Event will appear in 1730.

M4 Emperior said:
good AAR. Will you conquer Alsace (Elsass - Lothringen) further? I wish to add a event idea:

- Austria shall join you (when vassalized), and will create Hungary, Bohemia and Croatia.
- You'll get its leaders.
- You'll become Germany.
- You receive cores to all HRE, become different cultures.
- Event will appear in 1730.

Thanks for the feedback. Alsace is a part of Burgundy atm and the plan is to diploannex them after 30 years (only about 5 more years).

As for your event idea, it sounds pretty nice. Its always been a disadvantage that Franconia has no leaders and only 4 cores and this event would rectify that. However Franconia has no plans of becoming Germany because the plan is to conquer much more than just the german lands and those outside of Germany would be forgotten by the use of such a name. It would be handy if Austria realised the greater german nation and succumbed but honestly Austria has lost much of its power, if it wasn't for the annexation of Hungary and Bohemia by event Austria would have only a few provinces left. Whilst the idea of an event like this is good, since this was my first GC attempt i always planned to play it raw, with no mods or added events. Otherwise i would've added more leaders and cores at the start. I'll try to conquer Austria by 1730 anyway ;)

Well it seems like i've gone from updating this every second day to every second week. I'll try to be more prompt. Also for those interested i'm starting up a new AAR, involving the Duchy of Athens and over a period of only 6 years, not the full GC like this one.

Chapter 24: Scope and Compass
Conquistador Discovered – Death of Bochum
Aug 8 1612 – Aug 8 1624

------------

It was the autumn of 1612 in Franconia and King Julius Echter’s attention was focused very much on a man from Oldenburg. The man by the name of Bochum had just been commissioned as a conquistador for Franconia and he was about to begin his expeditions. He reached Mecklemburg and boarded the fleet already awaiting his arrival and began his trip across the Atlantic.

It would take a full year to make the crossing after fending off pirates near Newfoundland. Landfall was made in Mobile in Sept 1613; the same port from which Ems had began his 2nd expedition. Whereas Ems had headed north from Mobile, Bochum headed West; he wanted to find the so called ‘peaceful ocean’ that he read about from the Spanish. He discovered Concho before the new year and Llano Estacado soon after where he fought off an Indian attack. In March enroute to Pecos he received news from home that Anhalt had been ridden of all Protestants and conformed to Catholicism. Bochum then decided to follow the river first downstream to Rio Grande then upstream to El Paso. It was soon after that in August 1614 that Bochum discovered a civilized nation living out in this barren wasteland the Navaho in Colorado. He was taken to their leader in Utah but Bochum was unable to create friendly relations with the tribe and they soon went their separate ways.

Bochum continued west crossing the great divide through Arizona and Canyon, where he found himself cornered between some natives and the Grand Canyon itself. He had no choice but to fight and did so successfully. The expedition then crossed the Colorado River at Salton and hit the coast at San Bernardino. Bochum liked what he saw in this area of the world. It was only March but the sun was as warm on his skin as the on the hottest of days back in Franconia yet the sea breeze stopped him from overheating. It was an ideal colonial prospect so Bochum decided to explore the coast a bit more. With the Spanish already on the Californian Peninsula he had no choice but to venture north. He found more of the same flawlessness in Sierra Madre and was thinking it couldn’t get any better than this as he walked through Monterrey until it did. Bochum tripped over a rock but instead of cursing as he got up he cried out in bliss as he noticed it was gold over which he tripped. Bochum was the first Franconian ever to strike gold and it was obvious now, even if not before, that Julius would colonise this region to bare its rich fruit.

Bochum then continued exploring first to Tonopah then across the bay to Sacramento in Oct 1615. It was here that Bochum decided a colony should be set up. It had an affable harbour and none of the hills that would inhibit construction like the other provinces. Bochum sent his reports of the area back to Julius who was very pleased and began to organize colonists to follow up Bochum’s expedition but that would still take about a year. Meanwhile Bochum moved on further north, during the winter he discovered Nehalem before heading further inland to Oregon, Sierra Nevada and Inyo to avoid the frost. In the summer of 1616 Bochum went north again and crossed the Columbia River into Columbia and Olympia and just as winter returned made it into Nanaimo before having to turn around. He returned to Sacremento and waited for the promised colonists.

Back home in Franconia Julius was kept busy. The old king was now getting frail and senile which led to some poor decisions. The organization of the colonists turned into a mess that led to a political crisis in Aug 1616. The nation went into turmoil as Julius’s opponents fought to get him overthrown. With Franconia’s stability precarious and bureaucracy at an all time high, decisions such as the colonists for what was already being labeled Bochumia, were taking a long time to execute. It would not be until March 1617 that Sacramento was settled whereafter Bochum marched north one last time towards Alaska discovering Sitka later in the year. But for the first time in a while the Franconian world was now ignoring Bochum’s movements for the time had come for Julius’s dream to come true. It was March 1617 and Burgundy had being Franconia’s vassal for the 30 years now. Still recovering from the political crisis Julius chose to silence his critics by creating a union between Franconia and Burgundy. It would be the largest conquest in Franconia’s history adding another 9 provinces to the state. This was the moment Julius had been waiting for; the last 20 years of conservative peace was to allow Franconia to annex Burgundy without too much uproar from the rest of Europe. Initially it worked, Franconia’s relations with other European was awful at best but even after the annexation none of Julius’s enemies declared war. The only snag was that Franconia’s alliance was coming to end soon after, so Julius was forced to bribe his allies to renew the alliance despite their palpable disapproval for the aggressiveness. Later that month, France reacted to the annexation by increasing their domain themselves. They decided to annex Modena which had been their vassal for only 5 years.

In May 1617 Franconia fell into mourning as the great King Julius Echter died. He had ruled for the past 44 years which saw him chiefly conquer Burgundy, take Franconia into depression and bring it back out again. Had it not been for his poor relations with the Papal States, Julius might have been knighted but alas he had settle with going down in the history books as Julius the Great. Julius was to be replaced by his son, who himself was no longer a young man, Johann Gottfried (233). Johann was, as typically found in the sons of great leaders, just as incompetent as his father had been competent. The new king received a gentle transition as the rest of 1617 passed quietly with the exception of some pesky rebels sparking up in Susquehanna who froze into insignificance during the winter. Johann’s aptitude was test in 1618 as first Flanders revolted before a Boundary Dispute emptied the treasury and required Johann to take a loan. It was already obvious the glory days of Julius were over.

There was another man though with some talent in Bochum, who having returned from Alaska, was heading back through the Rockies discovering Moab and Pinalero in the Spring of 1619. By the end of the year Bochum had boarded his ships in Mobile once more and was now in search of pastures new. He landed in Barbados in June 1620 and claimed it for Franconia before crossing the Atlantic to Cape Verde. For 70 years Louga had been Franconia’s gateway to Africa but having been destroyed several times it had never been made a colony and without a port, its conception as a gateway was not utilized. Cape Verde offered seclusion and fertility that Louga didn’t so, although it would take a further two years, Cape Verde would become the new stepping stone to the south. From there, Bochum continued further east by boat towards central Africa.

Meanwhile back home Johann Friedrich had not been having a good time. After taking out the loan, things only got worse for him: the clergy were unhappy in Feb 1620, the merchants were unhappy in Jan 1621 and Flanders was unhappy in May 1621 as they revolted again. It was not long after Bochum landed in Awdaghost that Johann Gottfried gave up and commited suicide in Aug 1622. It was time for a new king and this time it was Johann Gottfried’s son Phillip Adolf (546) who took up the reigns. Immediately he looked a better prospect as he defeated revolters in Iceland and supported Bochum’s further ventures deep into the African jungles. Bochum discovered Kribi, Douala, Teke and Kongo throughout 1623 and most importantly made contact with the Congo people. Bochum then tried to continue exploring the Congo coastline but found himself under attack from natives in Kribi in Feb 1624. He fought them off no worries but as he tried to leave the province they attacked him again in April and again in May and again in June. Each time Bochum was victorious but the constant attacks were wearing down his men and preventing him from leaving the province. On the verge of escape, Bochum was again attacked in July and although the battle was won Bochum was struck by a spear and he would die 3 weeks later from the injuries in Aug 1624 bringing an end to the expedition. The few survivors were not attacked any further by the natives and were picked up in December for relocation. It was a sad end to a marvelous career but already colonies were popping up in Cape Verde, Barbados, Sacramento and plans were in the works to expand Bochumia to include Monterrey, San Bernardino and Sierra Madre. And as for the gold sighted in Bochumia, it would not be long before the Bochumian gold rush would take Franconia by storm.

----------
  • 1612 Bosnia annexed by Poland
  • 1613 Pommern captures Küstrin from Poland
  • 1613 Venice captures Smyrna from Ottoman Empire
  • 1617 France annexes Modena
  • 1617 Holstein cancels Danish vassalage
  • 1619 Holstein become Danish vassals
  • 1620 Punjab cancels Vijayanagarian vassalage
  • 1620 Kabylia defects from Algiers to Tunisia
  • 1620 England captures Hochelaga from Huron
  • 1621 Hyderabad cancels Delhi’s vassalage
  • 1622 Songhai loses Timbuktu to Benin and become vassals
  • 1622 Hyderabad become Delhi vassals

Coming soon... Chapter 25: Casus Belli Lotharii Regnum

Interlude 4: 200 Year Report
Feb 1 1569- Jan 1 1619

------------

Well the game has now hit the halfway point so lets see how things are progressing. These 50 years was dominated by the long reign of Julius Echter which saw Franconia grow into the world's largest nation. Franconia's size grew from 25 provinces, 5 colonies and 9 trading posts to 47 provinces, 4 colonies and 12 trading posts. Franconia had just 3 Monarchs during this period who averaged a skill level of 4.5 which, although down on last report's 4.9, is greatly skewed by Johann Friedrich's reign and does not take into account Julius Echter's longevity.

Here are the diagrams to show how things are after 200 years.

----- - - -
Europe showing ----------- The Diplomatic situation - The Religious Situation -- The Trade situation --- Victory Points
Domestic Settings

The flyover of the world shows Franconia is now spreading its wings especially in Emsland. The Spanish have been unable to conquer the Aztecs or Incans whilst the europeans are only just beginning to move eastward with the Dutch being the first to settle in India. Denmark now has more colonial cities than european cities meanwhile Casamance remains the African frontier having been unsuccessful held by Franconia, Austria and Sweden, it lies in Polish hands now but for how long.
------ -----------
North and Central America --- South America and West Africa --- East Africa and India

The technology graphs below clearly show Franconia is now clearly leading the race in each category even after the large annexation of Burgundy.

Infrastructure - Trade
Land - Naval

and thats the ways things are after 200 years...

nah M4 Emperior, i'm not going to make any changes to the game that might help me like adding french culture. Although it would be convenient.

Chapter 25: Casus Belli Lotharii Regnum
Death of Bochum – Coronation of Bernard
Aug 8 1624 – Aug 4 1631

------------

After the death of another great conquistador in Bochum, Franconia was bursting. Phillip Adolf was guiding Franconia through a prosperous peace with silky grace: badboy was falling, production was at record highs, technology excelling and even religiously progress was being made. This was evident in that the missionaries in Delaware succeeded in converting the pagans to Catholicism in November 1624.

Abroad as well the colonies were prospering as well. A trading post was setup in San Bernardhino in 1625 whilst in Monterrey it was soon realised that Bochum’s encounter with gold was no fluke, the hills were full of it. News of this filtered back from Bochumia to Franconia and the world was on the verge of a new gold rush. The fortune seekers came in their thousands to Sacremento and to cater for the influx a centre of trade was setup in Jan 1625. In fact the early effects of the gold rush were so extensive that it caused bankruptcy of the Table markets. Within a month, merchants were now almost outnumbering colonists in Sacremento as Phillip Adolf established a monopoly in the marketplace. Using the encouragement of the gold rush as fuel, Phillip Adolf decided to annex long time vassal Luxembourgh into the nation. The Luxemburgers couldn’t resist the offer and looked forward to the improved living standards that Franconia offered under the economic boom.

However this economic boom took its toll on Phillip Adolf as he became overwhelmed by his own wealth. He took to chronic gambling and became mad with dollar disease. This sudden turn of events led to some poor governance over the summer of 1627 which allowed the Franconian League to dissolve. There was a real scare when the Netherlands decided not to join the renewal but after intense negotiations the fallout was averted and the alliance was reformed in July. By the end of the year, Phillip Adolf was back in control and wanted to make 1628 something more meaningful. The renewal of the alliance symbolized 20 years since Franconia’s last war. Phillip Adolf felt it was time to conquer again, after all Franconia’s motto is “vincat crescat floreat” – may it conquer, grow and flourish. However it was no longer very easy for Franconia. German minors to the north, Austria to the east and south, France and the friendly Netherlands to the West, not really much to poke a stick at thought Phillip Adolf and most crucially he had no Casus Belli on any of them.

So the year drew on as Phillip Adolf worried about his expansion issues. Then in July the luck that Phillip Adolf had missed during his year of megalomania came in the form of a Diplomatic Insult. Normally a diplomatic insult would be negative event since Franconia already has such poor relations with the known world but it was not the relationship damage that Phillip Adolf was delighted by it was the Casus Belli, and the insulting country was Lorraine. Lorraine was a prime candidate for being invaded, snuggled between Franconia and France and this was the perfect opportunity to go to war even if Lorraine was allied with Lithuania, Brandenburg, Sweden, Poland and Wallachia because Phillip Adolf knew despite their size, they were all technologically inferior to Franconia and in most cases had no means to participate. So in August 1628 Franconia went to war for the first time in over 20 years along with its allies the Netherlands and Bremen. Within days Lorraine was invaded by two regiments and put under siege. The Ansbach Army meanwhile moved north towards the Brandenburg border. After 7 quick battles, and 7 wins, over the next three months the Brandenburgers and Swedes were pushed out of the way as Berlin was besieged. It was during this fierce fighting in Dec 1528 that Phillip Adolf received word that the gold miners in Bochumia had now established a trading post in Monterrey, the gold province, and the income was screaming in. Ofcourse Phillip Adolf could not longer care a less about the gold rush as the Lorraine army, unable to liberate their city, were marching through Franconian territory pillaging everything they found. They were finally all executed in the New Year and in February Nancy fell and Lorraine accepted peace becoming new vassals of the Franconian League. Phillip Adolf had succeeded in conquering the insulters but the war was not over and there was still opportunities beckoning. As a Lithuanian invasion was thwarted in Erz in July, troops were boarding the ships in Chesapeake. Sweden had been colonists for nearly as long as Franconia and whilst Phillip Adolf had no desire to conquer Sweden he wouldn’t mind stealing some colonies. First one to fall was the unguarded Namaqua next to Table in July 1529 as the troops were being shipped to land on the Bahamas, which had been in rebellion for generations. In the meantime Brandenburg had fallen and, as with previous wars against them, Phillip Adolf knew they could not be vassalised as they were Polish vassals already so he settled their score for a few coins and in doing so preventing any further Polish of Lithuanian overland attacks.

The landing on the Bahamas failed as despite the rebels, the Swedes had some men stationed there prepared. The army was destroyed and new forces were recruited in Chesapeake whilst more ships were gathered to help with the landing. Six months later in March 1630 they tried again and came out victorious and walked into the undefended town before hoisting the flag. The next colony on the list was that of Tortuga. Getting from the Bahamas to Tortuga would be more difficult than it would seem as the fleet would have to avoid pirates and storms to position itself off the Jamaican coast as the northern coast of Tortuga was not yet discovered. This also meant the navy couldn’t use the Winward Passage and would need to travel via Bermuda to reach Jamaica. After being forced to anchor to avoid pirates in Bermuda the navy finally reached Jamaica nearly a year later in Jan 1631 where troops had been waiting for months. Tortuga was finally captured in March and negotiations were begun with Sweden to hand over the Bahamas and Namaqua to Franconia. The Swedes were stubborn at first, even after a Polish navy was destroyed off Iceland, and it would not be until a skirmish in the Mediterranean defeated a Polish fleet and rutters were stolen that the Swedes became reasonable. Finally in June 1631 Sweden signed the peace and the Bahamas and Namaqua became Franconian. After that it was a mere formality that Franconia made peace with the rest of the alliance, which was led by Lithuania; Europe was back at peace some 12 days later.

After what had been 9 nonchalant years in Franconia, which climaxed with the return of warfare into the Franconian vocabulary, Phillip Adolf died peacefully in August 1631. During those last few years, apart from the war, Phillip had also expanded the golden Bochumia. Monterrey had been upgraded to a colony, Sierra Madre was a trading post and Sacremento had been expanded further to cater for the relentless demand. There was now no doubt that Franconia had the room to cater for colonial expansion for the next hundred years or more but whilst inventions develop out of need, exploration is a whole different issue. This principle would be shown to be true in the next period of Franconian history and whilst all previous Franconian conquistadors explored a certain geographic area like Emsland or Bochumia there was to be a man who would like visiting as much of the world as he could; from the north, to the west, to the south, to the east.

----------
  • nothing of note
  • 1627 England captures Zambezia from Zimbabwe
  • 1627 Russia captures Emba and Bouzatchi from Uzbek Kaganate

Coming soon... Chapter 26: North, West, South, East

Chapter 26: North, West, South, East
Coronation of Bernard – Sachsen Conversion
Aug 4 1631 – Feb 14 1644

------------

With the death of King Phillip Adolf not long after the treaty of Vorpommern Franconia was due for a new king. Rising to the throne was Bernard (686), a man who was gifted beyond any Franconian king to either precede or follow him. On paper, he had more skills then both Melchior Zobel and the great Julius Echter but time would tell whether history would remember him as such. Nevertheless the nation was full of hope.

Bernard’s reign began tranquilly. He re-established a monopoly in Bohemia, expanded his colony in Sacremento and denied privileges to the bourgeoisie. Even the bourgeoisie’s revolt didn’t fret him as they were defeated within 40 days. In October 1632 the pagans in Manhattan were converted as Sacremento was expanded once more. Then suddenly in Feb 1633 Bernard received a letter from an Icelander wanting permission to travel the world. Colonial dynamism struck once more and Franconia had its fourth conquistador by the name of Karlsruhe. From the deep isolation of the far north Karlruhe climbed aboard the only boats within a thousand miles and headed south towards the new world. With Ems and Bochum having explored much of North America, Karlruhe only stopped in Chesapeake to refuel. In the summer of 1633 he headed further south towards the unexplored northern coast of South America. Just before Christmas he landed in Caribe but wasn’t overly impressed. Exploring the coast throughout the next few months Karlsruhe discovered Yaraguay, Cuyuni and Guyana and found more of the same deep jungle. In the autumn of 1634 he moved inland through Apure and Yarumal to Bogota. Karlsruhe liked what he saw in Bogota, fertile mountain tops for growing coffee whilst the mountains of Yarumal looked as though it might have had some gold in them. Karlruhe moved on and reached the Pacific Ocean in Feb 1635 before meeting the primitive tribe of the Chimu in Cali who pointed out their capital in Cajamarca on his map. Karlsruhe decided to explore the region between those two points and found Azuay but was halted from progressing any further by the Chimu.

Karlsruhe had now discovered as much of South America as he could. He could see that there was another tribe of natives beyond the Chimu but could not meet them so he turned around and returned back to the Caribbean. Before boarding his fleet in August he discovered a Spanish colony in Tocuvo who were most surprised to see another European. Karlsruhe did not even return to Barbados for refueling instead troops were sent to rendevous with him in the Guyana Coast before he set off towards Africa.

Meanwhile back in Franconia it had been a ridiculously quiet time for King Bernard. He had expanded Barbados to a colonial city and was now doing the same to his two Bochumian bases in Sacremento and Monterrey and in Dec 1635 he denied aid to great noble family but this was hardly an efficient utilizisation of his skills. However Bernard was in fact building for the future; he was sending missionaries to Susquehanna, Hessen and Sachsen and with conversion at it most probably ever, this was much better utilization of his administration skills. As for wars however, Bernard was still left with no Casus Bellis and badboy close to 27. He would have to be content for the time being with following the adventures of Karlsruhe as he traveled around the world.

Speaking of Karlsruhe, he had left Cape Verde in August 1636 and rounded the Cape of Good Hope in May the next year. His aim was to do what the Portuguese had done long ago and the Dutch more recently, find a coastal route to India. Well in fact the route was already known thanks to Dutch and Orissan maps but trading posts and colonies were needed and to Karlsruhe was needed to survey the coast. Karlsruhe landed in Mtawa in October 1637 just as some colonists arrived but failed to found a settlement. After a second attempt failed in Mtawa, Karlsruhe moved down the coast to Niassa. Finally after nearly two years, and two meteors frightened Bernard’s stability to threads, a colony was established in Niassa which would provide a crucial port linking the Cape to India.

Meanwhile Bernard finally had something to do. Even though it had now been twenty years since Burgundy was annexed there was still some nationalism in the air and it came to Bernard as quite a surprise when Iceland rebelled and destroyed the garrison of troops there. Bernard jumped into action as he roused his Newfoundland forces into action in Dec 1639. However the alarm proved quite unnecessary as the rebels were frozen into submission by the northern winter all to the disappointment of Bernard.

With a port established in Niassa, Karlsruhe’s fleet was able to return and continue him on his merry way to the East. Upon reaching the Indian coast Karlsruhe saw that the Netherlands had already attempted the colonist the region with limited intermittent success. Karlsruhe made landfall in Cochin in May 1640 and decided to explore the surrounds before choosing a place for colonisation. After surveying Madurai and Kerala, he decided that first impressions counted and sent for Bernard to send some colonists. Four months after Susquehanna was converted and two weeks before Hessen did the same, Cochin was claimed by Franconia and made it’s foothold in India. As Karlsruhe men awaited the return and resupply of his fleet in the middle of 1641, Franconia’s alliance expired and Bernard was set a task as the Netherlands refused to resign. It would take the whole time that it took Karlruhe to reach the East Indies for Bernard to negotiate with the Dutch with the signature finally coming in December. Karlruhe landed in Sunda and having defeated the first natives he’d encountered since Guyana seven years earlier, crossed the hills to Jakarta. Jakarta was probably the most affluent colonizing prospect any Franconian had come across. Rich with sugar and lush grounds Karlruhe knew that he had to claim this land before the Dutch arrived and counted his blessings that they had not already. He sent a letter back to notify Bernard of his discovery but it would not be Bernard who would receive his letter.

King Bernard, the greatest king Franconia had never seen, died in March 1642 and was succeeded by his eldest son Johann Phillip (455). Unfortunately for Karlsruhe and Johann Phillip there were no more colonists available as Bernard had just sent the last to Monterrey. Karlsruhe would have to wait almost a full year for Jakarta in which time he discovered Bandung. After Jakarta was settled in Jan 1443 Karlruhe would once again have to wait for his fleet to return from Cochin to explore the rest of what looked like a large, mostly untouched archipelago which even the Dutch maps hadn’t marked. Now at the frontier of all European exploration Karlsruhe landed on an island to the north at Bandjarmasin in July. Karlsruhe’s expedition was now beginning to suffer attrition from the countless long voyages. This was heightened as he explored Borneo defeating natives in Sarawak and Selatan and in between time making first European contact with Brunei.

Karlsruhe was still exploring Borneo when Bernard’s last legacy was completed; the conversion of Sachsen. This was the signal that the new king Johann Phillip used to stamp out his plans. Whereas over the past few decades Franconian kings had been been complacent in waiting for a Casus Belli before going to war, with thanks to Bernard’s supreme diplomacy skills, Franconia’s BadBoy had dropped to an accommodating 24.5 and Johann Phillip was ready for action. There had long been plans, and for even longer had there been pressure from the greater community, for Franconia to return to its predecessor’s glory. By this of course it is the kingdom of Charlemagne that is being referred to, an empire spanning from the Pyrenees to the Netherlands, from Brittany to the Tyrolean Alps. There was only one way this would ever happen, it meant war and the barracks’ were already churning.

----------
  • 1631 Holstein cancels Danish vassalisation
  • 1635 Brandenburg converts back to Protestantism*
  • 1637 Pommern split between Brandenburg and Sweden. Brandenburg inherit Hinterpommern and Küstrin, Sweden inherit Vorpommern
  • 1633 Hyderabad cancels Delhi’s vassalisation
  • 1636 Kastamonu defects from Poland to Ottoman Empire
  • 1636 Russia captures Kurgan, Ust Urt and Alga from Sibir
  • 1638 Delhi captures Thar and Bikaner from Vijayanagar
  • 1638-42 Chinese government falls thrice in five years
  • 1642 Huron captures Hochelaga from England
  • 1642 Chagatai Khanate captures Kirgisistan from Mughals
  • 1643 Delhi captures Qandahar from Mughals
  • 1643 Hyderabad become Bengali vassals
  • 1643 Punjab become Vijayanagar’s vassals
  • 1644 Spain captures Coquimbo, Atacama and Valparaiso from Incans

*As a part of the peace deal mentioned in the previous chapter where Brandenburg could not forfeit anything more than money, the king did in fact demand Brandenburg convert to Catholicism as well. Apologies for the omission

Coming soon... Chapter 27: Operation Charlemagne: Part 1

I don't know how it's like for you readers out there (if there still are any ;) ) but i've found the last 50 years or so quite tedious and boring. It didn't seem so bad when playing but when it came to writing i just started finding it hard to make the same old conquistador's exploration interesting. Unfortunately though when i get a conquistador ingame it takes away much of my focus from happenings back in Europe or potential expansion.

Nevertheless i've now played through to 1700 and boy can i promise you some exciting gameplay in the next 50 years. I could nearly write a book on it all. I'll settle with this AAR for now. Hope you find it more interesting than this previous period. All i can say is WAR :D