• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sounds really good, but I still get the feeling that air units ought to be able to run several missions at once i.e. in this area I would like air unit X to attack logistics and infrastrure and ground units.

Otherwise I am going to be building more and more air units (which will probably give me ahistoric numbers of units) to run specific mission types and/or having to micro-manage between various mission types.

uhh... huh?? I've lived in the US my entire life and never heard of a 400 degree circle... :)

degrees are definitely more intuitive for most people though... otherwise, love everything I see. :)
Excuse me. I googled it and it seems the decimal degree (400 degrees) is not actually in common use anywhere. I thought I was told in school (which, admittedly, is a loooong time ago) once that it was in use in the US.

This looks great!!!

My question for the dev team revolves around leadership. Will the air units follow the same pattern you laid out for the ground units? If so I would assume a Mj General would lead each group, a Lt Gen a wing, a Air General a ??? and an Air Marshal a theater? Also are air units prone to shattering like ground units, and if so what would cause that to happen? (what I mean is that would they shatter if taking very high combat loses or if their base was overrun by ground troops.)

Thanks again for these posts. It makes my Wednesdays.

Very good!

I don't know if I missed something here.

You can "draw" the cone/circle etc. on the map right?

PS
Really nice with the reserve system etc. (y)

Very nice DD..i can't believe my hoi-dreams come true :D
Keep up the amazing work...

Two minor questions:
1) Why is there mph and km in one interface?
2) Why are one fighter and one bomber selected but the interface says 2 fighters?
I hope both is because of an alpha-shot... :confused:

uhh... huh?? I've lived in the US my entire life and never heard of a 400 degree circle... :)

degrees are definitely more intuitive for most people though... otherwise, love everything I see. :)

huh? You better change your attitude 200 degrees mister! lol. No there is certainly no 400 degree system in the US, or anywhere for that matter. Maybe NATO "mils" is what he is referring to? But that is based on a 6400 count...I don't know.

Edit: Oh he replied, nevermind.

Degrees instead of the radian would probably be simpler to understand.

All sounds totally awsome. Only one big nagging question remains in my mind? Will there be radar guided fighter interception? It was so inefficiant to have the fighter squadrons wandering around randomly until they bumped into the enemy bombers, even as those bombers bombed your factories to rubble.

Excuse me. I googled it and it seems the decimal degree (400 degrees) is not actually in common use anywhere. I thought I was told in school (which, admittedly, is a loooong time ago) once that it was in use in the US.
If memory serves, a compass has 400 degrees.

Re do the mission

Hey, I don't know exactly if this was already posted, but what I would like to ask for is a well do-again button.
I had it often that I sent my planes on missions not knowing how long the mission should last depending on the progress of the campaign of course.
So a button which sends the plane on the same mission for another month or the same length as before would be nice.

There are rather a lot of provinces in Hearts of Iron 3, this could take a while. However you can still manually select if you wish, the cone circle option is just there to speed up the process.

Maybe this is already in, but I suppose it would be useful if clicking added a province, and ctrl-clicking added a whole region. That way it would be quicker to define a user region.

Radians are cool, why the hate :p

Anyway, I love it! Only problem in that shot is that it's mph instead of kph. Unless you grew up with miles, kph is a great deal more intuitive.

About the 400 degree circle: I believe it was/is used on certain compasses (never on naval compasses though). It is not common here in Europe, but it is available should you find that 360 degrees lack precision (which is very unlikely when you're trying to navigate the woods).

Radians are cool for maps because you can just measure the radius and then put it (curved) anywhere, whereas with degrees you have to 'project' the angle. Of course, on smaller maps this is no problem for the human mind, and possibly even faster on a computer screen.

Best update yet. This is terrific. Thanks, Paradox!

Now I am BEGGING you for the most important Diary of all for next week - details of naval combat, please! :)

Last edited:
If memory serves, a compass has 400 degrees.

It was a French Rev. thing when they tried to reinvent everything to "Frenchify" all traditions and customs and such. It is very rare. Most compasses have 360 degrees. 400 degree compasses require recalc. to fit in with standard direction finding.

airforce organisation

this sounds like a great solution to the drawbacks of HoI2 with regard to ground attack and I love the system of reserves.

How will the organisation of air units - in the case of the picture Luftflotte IV work? Will it be similar to army units that eachs Luftflotte has an HQ and one sets mission for each of the different divisions fighters, bombers etc. within the Luftflotte? Or will it be like HoI2?

What about espionage and radar stations - does one detect air units?
And leader Traits - do these affect air units similarly to ground units?

I absolutely love the possibility to destroy planes on ground, but do we have countermeasures for that?
Like a level 1 airstrip having no cover in comparison to a level 10 "airport" with strong buildings, hangars for our planes, maybe even some bunkers.
It should be easier to prevent losses in an "fortified" base. Also a crowded airbase should loose more planes, then an empty one.

Also do AA weapons AND units help prevent dmg? Maybe we could even add Squadrons the ground personal needed to defend better, like adding an extra AA (ground brigade) to them? Not stationary, but following the Squaddron whereever it is deployed, too?

Will fighters without any mission defend their airfield on their own, instead of playing sitting duck? At least trying it with maybe lower efficiency and strength.

And last questions, will we have a chance to spend, build or research AA-measures like dummies, fake buildings, 100% lights off at night etc.
Like Russians built an extra copy of important orientation points of their capital, thus making German planes sometimes throw bombs at a dummy city.
Or simply add a chance, that Bombers on a strategic mission easily miss their target. If you look a 1939-42 it was very uncommon, that even 10% of the bombs dropped, actually hit, what was supposed to be hit, but still damaging other things, sometimes. With more provinces, we could have wrong provinces bombed, e.g.

radians are cool, why the hate :p

anyway, i love it! Only problem in that shot is that it's mph instead of kph. Unless you grew up with miles, kph is a great deal more intuitive.

The kilometres suck!
The miles rock! :D

I think Johan hinted at a more radical overhaul.

That is,I think he tries to tell us that we might not see planes as "flying ground units" where you can definitely say "At hour X unit Y is in prov Z" (which is,as you correctly observed Medi, the reason why air movement,and thus warfare,was broken in HOI2). We might not see counters/sprites flying about.

I think what Johan suggests is what I am hoping for : air units will project their power at a distance,like a "cloud". Maths will fly around.

Thus,I hope we will see realistic movements,realistic engagements (which will not be the unrealistically gigantic and decisive battles of HOI2) and realistic losses, all of which behave completely different from land combat.

Air combat is far too fluid to encase it in the standards of divisional-level ground warfare,which is the reference point of HOI.

I hope so, really. Praying every night for this specific point. With provinces number multiplied by 3, and the HOI rule "planes can only move to another province each hour", it can seriously impacts the air warfare : how my interceptors are able to patrol so many provinces ? (in the old HOI2 way, I mean).