• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Politics?A subject barely deserves hall diary.

Stalin defined significance of polithics in war time when he asked :"Tell me how many divisions has this Pope?"

If you want true politics than it should allso be influenced by military strenght of one country.

Will military strenght of country have influence in its international polithical status?

Also, it would be nice if there was some way to include the effect of the view of women in the game. Nazi Germany wasted a lot of it´s manpower when women was supposed to be home taking care of children, while countries like Soviet Union and Great Britain used lots of women in their arnaments industry freeing up the men for military duty...

Also, it would be nice if there was some way to include the effect of the view of women in the game. Nazi Germany wasted a lot of it´s manpower when women was supposed to be home taking care of children, while countries like Soviet Union and Great Britain used lots of women in their arnaments industry freeing up the men for military duty...

If this would be possible it should come with a decent dissent penalty or something of the sort, specifically for countries like germany. Their idea of a womens role was very clear. If they had to start using them in factories then the population as a whole would know things arent going well. It went agaisnt everything "they" ever said about women...

Cool DD, though I was really hoping for one about combat, planes, naval etc...

Nonetheless a very interesting aspect of the game, much improved over HOI2.

This was exactly the sort of DD I was waiting for, something mentioning ministers. Now, on to mentioning leaders! :D

As we well know, a law can be passed without paying for it, especially upfront. I think the HoI3 upkeep process could be just like research in HoI2, where you spend ~$2 a day to research a tech. The upkeep of a law could be done the same way.

Why not just have % maluses to IC, money, national unity, wathever to represent paying for education and other stuff? I think it would be rather easy to make the laws real choices using maluses like this. Though they negatives might need some more teeth than they have in IN desicions, I can agree,

It's odd to have budget decisions as laws without having some kind of a counterweight to excessive spending (like, you know, requiring you to have money before you spend it). Why would anyone pick Average Education Investment over Big Education Investment?

Did we ever discover what the symbol on the top right of the screenie was for ? It looks suspiciously like a reference to the colours in the politcal screen to me. Maybe the number equals an amount of points to spend in the politcal screen... on laws maybe ?

If we have discovered what that symbol is for, then I am ofcourse talking rubbish. I can't find a post about what it refers to.

.......... oh - I see its National Unity. Nevermind then.

Last edited:
Is it possible to be able to add symbols (like elephant and donkey) to special parties? You can then do it and add all symbols you want, or just have default and a friendly modder (me) will gladly do it. :)

So instead of the fasces for the Nazi party, a player who can do basic modding can add his own little logo?

Well I'm happy to see sliders that I never touched getting the boot. Especially since a much more concrete system replaces it that seems to allow more options.

Honestly, who ever used the Left/Right or Authoritarian/Democratic sliders when playing with the intention of joining the war? There were 3-4 sliders that had way more importance, and you would let events handle the government type sliders.

I hope this doesn't result in "blank slate" states as in VV, by the way. Even though all the laws were historical, if you started at any date as Rome (or any other country, for that matter), not a single one of them was ever enacted. In effect, every nation was identical at start, except for government type.

Honestly, who ever used the Left/Right or Authoritarian/Democratic sliders when playing with the intention of joining the war? There were 3-4 sliders that had way more importance, and you would let events handle the government type sliders.
Me. Most of the time they were the only ones I used. :)

One thing that always confused me about minister effects was the use of double negatives. Does a -25% decay mean more or less decay?

Also, I know it's nitpicking, but why are some words capitalized and some not?

I believe it means your research/production ability decays 25% less the normal.

So its really a bonus to whatever the standard amount of decay is.

Yes, a little confusing. :wacko:

I would love to see some details on what these laws do.

OOOOOOOH Excellent happenings. I like this.

And from absence of information, you conclude that your jubilant assessment is justified, while mine is not?

This is a forum for discussion, which includes criticism, for which I provided a very good reason (difference in the number of possibly slider and law combinations). It's up to you to counter that with an argument other than "I'm sure Paradox is faultless and you don't understand anything."

Well, I stated that the new political model seems to be "real and alive" - and that doesn't strike me as particularly "jubilant" :rolleyes: And the last part of what you wrote is just slander and hyperbole, so I'm not even going there.

You on the other hand are basing your criticism on arbitrary scenarios and "limited number of laws" and coming down strongly with your opinion on why this new model is "very poor". I can't see how that's constructive at all, seeing as you - like the rest of us - really don't know more than what the DD told us.

With that said I'll let you fight your straw men alone...

If this would be possible it should come with a decent dissent penalty or something of the sort, specifically for countries like germany. Their idea of a womens role was very clear. If they had to start using them in factories then the population as a whole would know things arent going well. It went agaisnt everything "they" ever said about women...

The untapped resources of the German women is partly a myth. It is true that there where never a "forced" mobilization of the female workforce to heavy industry. This was a part of their children, kitchen and party-policy. But as with everything the nazis did, need triumphed theory.

From the start of the war huge numbers of women enlisted to voluntary service. They replaced men in postal services, tram conductors, office clerks and a wide variety of jobs in the civil cervices. They also served in the armed forces as communication personnel, interpreters, medical staff, general staff work and other services.
After February 18. 1943 and Goebbels "Total war" speech, they also entered the industry in large numbers. They where an important reason for the improved production of the German war industry despite the increased transference of men from the industry to the army in order to replace the enormous losses on the east front.

So when the war ended, the percentage of women in the workforce where slightly lower in Germany then in UK/US/USSR, but the difference is not so huge IMO that it should rebalance the game.

Again, a great update :cool:
the more I read the dev diary, the less I see aspect of the game left apart. I really begin to think we're going to have a masterpiece.

back on this diary : would it be possible to create some "nuisance" on internal politics of a foreign country, for instance encouraging dissident, and this having some repercussion on the war ability of this country ?

in regard to those that are color blind.... I am not color blind and i find it extremely difficult to tell the difference between those different hues of blue....

change it please so that my eyes dont bleed