• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I like the little round symbols. I do not like the square banner. Looks very...Rome. Not so good.

That, and Romania's Communist coat of arms makes me cry. HoI2 got the Romanian flag right. I'm sure it won't survive beta-testing, but still.

It's minor of course but I have to comment that the round flag icons would look better without the thick yellow borders. It's a little distracting from the flag colors/symbols inside. I think they might look better with simple 1px black borders.

I do suspect that Embargo could work like something of a signal for other countries that you don't like the country in question. In other words, it brings out the "embargo" field out of the AI woodwork and lets you communicate with other countries about it (in other words, friendly state detecting your stance could in turn do the same thing). That makes most sense to me, in any case.

I suppose it could be used to represent something like the League of Nations restrictions on trade with Spain. If the Allies embargo it, a lot of other countries could follow.

Now that you mention the League of Nations. I've been wondering whether they could have a (small) role. We have the Holy Roman Empire and College of Cardinals in EUIII to which only a minority of countries belonged to, so I don't see why the League couldn't be included. And provide some benefits to it's members in terms of their international relations, and be used to object Badboy behaviour, even if it didn't actually do much about it.

The problem is that League of Nations was on its last legs and was effectively dead by 1940. It would be relevant in a game set in 1920 (much like those naval treaties everyone keeps raving about).

Lets talk multiplayer, would this system force a player into a situation where he could not say as Italy join the Comterm because that option just would not be available.
Unless he and the USSR player put a lot of diplomatic work into it? So even a secret multiplayer pact would still leave the Italian player with a leaning towards Germany and of little use to the USSR unless the Italian player just stays out of the war.

That said how accurate will each countries understanding of the leanings of various nations be? Would this not be intellegence driven?
I was wondering if Sweden starts leaning towards joining Germany obviously germany would be aware of this and so would Sweden but how accurate would the rest of the worlds intel on the leanings be.
If everyone's list is the same then what is the point of clandestine diplomatic actions etc.
What i am trying to get at is the leanings pyramid country specific and can the intell on it be wrong, over or under estimated?
I hope this makes sence...

is threat level abstracted from the playing map?

ie suppose germany starts a massive military buildup on the polish border, then poland starts feeling more threatened and relations would suffer?

They're flipped.

But any way. I was reading this article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7833544.stm
And I was thinking, with what had been said in previous DDs. The ability to negotiate usages of naval ports in other countries?

ohhh...what cute little buttons!

it looks sleek, in Vista Aero kind of way...

Please Johan-san, work faster and diligent so the product meets deadline

Hai? :D

Add it to Delopment Diary Index

Is there a reason this diary has not been added yet, it has fallen off the front page mostly due to the fact that people normally go there first to check for updates

the drift idea seems like a brilliant system.. finally a country's attitude is more easily understood and presented

so Japan might not be next to any Axis members.. but it's anti Commitern, so it'll drift away form them.. and it'll be anti Allie.. so there you go! Axis drifter :p

And suddenly the Axis are a dark corner..
Hehe.. Hitler's like Darth Vader: Come to the dark side, we've got cookies!

The symbols are a little oddly chosen.. and open to debating.. but this is just a game.. and that is just a depiction that the Dev team chose.

Who knows.. maybe a with modder will tinker with the image

Personally I think that you either go color only - RED (Commitern) ; Blue (Allies) ; BLACK (Axis)
OR give equal representation of ideologies it only adds to immersion etc etc..

but there's no point in debating this here.. I suppose there are some censorship rules somewhere that even the great Paradox has to comply with

Peace out

Last edited:
What does the "neutrality" value mean?

(Sorry if this has already been answered, I have little motivation to sift through 17 pages right now)

It would be really cool if you could give expeditionary forces during limited wars... i.e. "sending volunteers and advisors" Vietnam War style.

i.e. The greater powers could have proxy wars over smaller countries without actually declaring war on eachother.

Personally I think that you either go color only - RED (Commitern) ; Blue (Allies) ; BLACK (Axis)

Axis is more linked to the brown color.

That'd be mighty ugly...

Brown and red can go together without problems. So it will depend of what kind of blue (or anyother color) will be used for the democraties.