• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I

indika_tates

I was thinking about the viability (long term) of a demesne strategy different from the classical "stack all the baronies you can in your capital".

The situation (Charlemagne, for example) is this:
- Empire Gavelkind/West France Primo (About 14 demesne limit)
- Flandes and Normandy as your duchies.

You control 14 counties. Is a rich zone and it has something between 4 and 5 holdings/county + 6 in your capital. Some counties has two cities at the start but the majority of them have only one.

With an average of 3-4 baronies/county you can have about 40 barons under your direct control. Late game with 70% minimum levies and well developed castles the question is: Can this strategy give you more levies than stacking baronies in your capital?

And my second question is: Do direct vassals (barons) training grounds count toward your direct retinue limit?

You have to get to the late game first. Plus I'm not sure those vassal barons will count toward your forcelimit for vassal rebellion calculations. Also with flanders/normandie, you have a ton of coastal. Why not build cities? Then maintain a large permanent retinue and some mercs.