• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Not to bad, as said you did cover a good amount of ground with infantry. I can see the fall of the Soviets in the near future. Good job.

can I ask the reader opinion on the future directionof the AAR?

I was planning to move away from total war in every update and include much more about power wranglings in the Reichswhehr and in the German government. Also quite a bit about foriegn relations (most importanty with the US and UK). I'm just struggling to keep this fresh as I feel it has been quite repetitive recently.

Anyways hope you enjoy and any opinions are welcome as it is easy to change whatever is in the updates as I write them immediately before posting ;)

For me the current way you reply is the best. You can write the story but i would not read it anyway. My opinion.

For me the current way you reply is the best. You can write the story but i would not read it anyway. My opinion.

Do you read my little descriptions of the battles and stuff now?

Also did you think the last update was better or worse then usual?

Does anyone know the font of text used in the events, aswell as size (although I could figure that out myself).

Edit: NVM I have done my editing at the event in question looks fine. Why must Nazi leaders put their names in all the damn events? lol

Last edited:
Meissner and Roosevelt

The relationship between Germany and the USA would be best described as somewhere between icy and openly hostile. Many believed the Americans would have been willing to negotiate some assistance for Stalin had Britain not stood by its ally.

One of the main roots for this split inside the Democratic block was the mutual loathing of Franklin Roosevelt and Oskar Meissner. They had met on one previous occasion (Roosevelt had organised a meeting with Meissner and some German economists so the methods of recovery from the Great Depression could be shared). During this meeting they argued for hours about the true path of Democracy, America’s failure to support Europe after WWI when Wilson had promised so much and delivered so little and how a new order should be created to secure peace in both Europe and Asia. After Roosevelt said ‘’your revisionist policies mirror those of Hitler and Mussolini’’ Meissner walked out and the German delegation left with him, it was shown how big a loss the failure of this meeting was as Germany quickly recovered its economic might whilst the US toiled through a much slower recovery.

Despite this rather unpleasant introduction Roosevelt still recognised the fact Germany was the first line of defence for Democracy and should be supported. So in the period between February 1937 and March 1938 America looked for reconciliation between the two states and created numerous trade deals, supporting Germany’s right to a larger army and called for several revisions to Versailles. However the Anschluss with Austria was a step too far in the eyes of Roosevelt who although in private furious said that America was disappointed in the aggressive approach of Germany and called for some mediation. But again he would be forced to try and support a regime he detested as it appeared that Europe was on the brink of a war that Germany could not possibly hope to win, if the Democratic way of life was to survive so must Germany. So he organized a deal in which America would sell small arms to Germany, speeding up German rearmament as well as helping to employ American workers. Once the Munich Agreement appeared to have secured peace the deal was canceled and the contract handed to Chamberlain’s British Government that was starting to rearm.

Once the German-Soviet Non Aggression Pact of May 1939 was signed the American President knew exactly what the repercussions would be. ‘’If anyone truly believes this agreement means peace then they are a fool. Stalin and Meissner are predatory creatures, the people of Central Europe only have their freedom because of animosity between the two, rest assured that all this agreement means is a chance for the two to divide up the scraps of Europe.’’

Roosevelt was proved astoundingly correct when Germany invaded Poland on September 1st. The US ambassador in London gave a secret document to Chamberlain that same day. It was a first strike plan codenamed Operation Unthinkable in which Elite US marines would use Britain as a base from which to launch a swift invasion of Germany, toppling Meissner in Berlin before the Reichswehr could react. Chamberlain rejected the deal but promised to keep his meeting with the ambassador private as the documents were burned. Roosevelt was quick to out Meissner as a Lion in Sheep’s clothing attacking what he saw as a weak casus belli ‘’Meissner like to take the position as a benevolent protector of the German people and sees this as an excuse to invade any and all his neighbors at will. This man had single-handedly led the European Continent to the brink of a devastating conflict in which upon its conclusion one way or another no man can feel safe in his sacred right of freedom again.’’ Meissner was deeply offended by the President’s remarks reiterating the terrible atrocities committed against Germans in Poland and saying ‘’We can not stand by as the world is engulfed by tyranny. We are the Defenders of Freedom and Democracy’’. The phrase ‘’Defenders of Freedom ad Democracy’’ would follow Meissner the rest of his career and would be seen as Germany’s sacred right of intervention.

As Stalin grew more aggressive Roosevelt decided that he would be forced to indirectly assist Germany by giving massive amounts of aid to Britain, some of which would undoubtedly trickle down to Germany. Despite this German-American relations would continue to worsen as dozens of American spies were uncovered throughout the German Reich.

When war finally broke out on October 17th 1940 Roosevelt made clear that he rested the blame squarely in the lap of Oskar Meissner. ‘’His blatant disregard for treaties and the borders of sovereign states has plunged not only his own people, but millions of peace loving peoples around the globe into a war on a grander scale than this world has ever experienced. However we must choose to support the lesser of two evils and reopen trade agreements with the German Reich’’. Meissner would refuse the charity of the embittered President but encourage the British Empire to do so. Within a few months of conflict America signed an agreement with Britain in which America would trade destroyers for bases. This would lead to a strange situation where the UK was drifting towards an alliance with the USA whilst Germany was in danger of a war.

As the Reichswehr continued to fight under the banner of the ‘’Defenders of Freedom and Democracy’’ following their stunning successes of 1940 Roosevelt opened negotiations with Stalin. ‘’I wonder whether the people of Italy or France will ever enjoy freedom. I wonder if Germany would ever give the Russian people democracy. I wonder if they would rather incorporate all Europe into one enormous Empire where every man is a subject of the Kaiser and no man is ever free again. We look not to defeat Germany but to force them to give freedom to these peoples and protect that right of self determination even if those peoples determine to be ruled by an ideology we do not look upon favorably, it would still be better than living life under Germany’s jackboot’’.

roos.jpg

Franklin D Roosevelt US President

OK, a bit of a change of pace but hey who doesn't like some variety?

Dont worry Delex you dont have to read it :p

ps Not sure about what to do next update here are the options I am considering:

Back to war (an offensive in the Ukraine ...)
Something about the Japanese
Domestic politics in Germany, not had too much about Meissner since the war began

Whatever you feel like doing suits me! :D

Indeed. Just do what you think or feel needs to be told. If you have inspiration, let it run free. People who want to skip it will do so regardless of whether it is there or not, and others might enjoy it. In the end, it just matters that you enjoyed telling the story, not what others might think.

As I showed earlier, I quite like the way you alternate history.

The Age of the Rising Sun

The Russo-Japanese War of 1904-5 saw the Japanese Empire flung into the position of a world power having only recently wrestled domination over East Asia from China. The Japanese military decisively defeated the mighty Russian Empire, annihilating its fleet and smashing its enormous army. Russia would cede Port Arthur and the southern half of Sakhalin to Japan as well as withdrawing its influence from Manchuria and accepting Japanese domination over Korea. But the most important achievement was the recognition that Japan was now capable of taking on the world’s greatest military powers and winning.

ruskiesrunfromnips.jpg

The Russian army in retreat after the Battle of Mukden

In 1910 Japan would finally annex Korea into its Colonial Empire after effectively ruling the state for decades. During the First World War Japan would again revel in achieving easy victories over a world power as the German Pacific garrisons stood no match for the Japanese military forces. All Germany’s Pacific islands would be ceded to Japan handing them near complete homogony over the Asian Pacific.

During the1920s following the lead of Europe’s Fascist movement led by Benito Mussolini Japan’s government became increasingly dominated by the military. But whilst European Fascism would fall Japan’s star would continue to rise.

In 1931 Japan would solve a serious problem of resource shortages by seizing control over Manchuria following the ‘Manchurian Incident’. The client state of Manchukuo was established ruled by the former Qing Emperor Pu Yi. But Japan would maintain even greater ambitions for the chaotic Chinese state, disunited ever since the fall of Pu Yi’s former dynasty.

untitled7.jpg

On June 10th 1937 the Second Sino-Japanese War began. Despite Chiang-Kai-Shek’s remarkable success in unifying all China into a United Front his armies proved totally useless. There was not one victory of note for China’s vast armies against the elite IJA. Only Mao’s Communists would achieve any form of success as he retook the city of Taiyuan and on one occasion was but 30 miles form Beijing before being forced back.

During this period the US and Germany would again come close to blows. In truth Germany wished for either of the two countries to be a powerful counter to the Soviets in Asia. However it had long been clear that China had faded into obscurity and weakness whilst Japan seemed a perfect ally, a great enemy of Communism and Russia hungry for territorial gains and the processor of a mighty army to achieve its goals. America meanwhile was firmly in support of China fearing the repercussions of a powerful Japan that may look to dominate the Pacific.

When Chengdu fell to the IJA on April 8th 1938 The Republic of China along with every other Chinese faction, with the exceptions of the state of Sinkiang and Mao’s Communists, would surrender unconditionally to the Japanese Empire. A new puppet state would be established in its place, firmly under Japan’s thumb and with no major ports to speak of it was given simple instructions: recruit enough men to conquer all Asia.

Mao would order a swift and truly colossal offensive immediately in an attempt to take Japan by surprise. All the lands once ruled by the Ma Clique as well as much of Shanxi (including Taiyuan and territories between the Yellow River and Beijing) would be taken and Communist shock troops would reach the Yangtze. However a brutal battle of attrition would soon engulf Mao’s entire front and he was unable to hold. More than a year after Chiang-Kai-Shek surrendered Mao would flee over the border into Mongolia, vowing to return and liberate his people.

The state of Sinkiang would last a remarkably long time with a remarkably small force. Indeed it would not finally fall until mid August in 1940, 2 years after Chiang and almost another year after Mao. Its defeat would see the now great hordes fighting under the banner of the Rising Sun turn their attention to the rest of Asia.

The last update didn't seem to be too well recieved (if comments and views are anything to go by) so it will be back to the usual war next time but with stuff about the Power struggles in the Reichswehr (not long just added in with the battles like in the update 'Operation Sea Snake')

OK, these things just had to be said so you know whats going on and besides I like updates like this :D

Would it possibly to be able to see your in game cabinet alongside those of the remaining great powers?

Would it possibly to be able to see your in game cabinet alongside those of the remaining great powers?

Sorry man, I didn't take pics of that until later :p

I promise for them to start quicking in around mid 1942

Not too long now :)

Sorry man, I didn't take pics of that until later :p

I promise for them to start quicking in around mid 1942

Not too long now :)

Yay! Can't wait. :D

The Cavalry Arrives
With Blomberg’s skilled operation ongoing in the Baltic territories his greatest rival, von Manstein had only recently brought his mobile armies into position. With this force he was expected to conquer Russia or at the very least destroy the massive Red Army presence in the Ukraine which had thus far made an advance impossible.

After barely a day of planning the now famed military planners of the mobile forces had prepared their offensive. The main force of Panzers would thrust through the relatively strong Soviet position at Pinsk and onwards into the province of Rowne. A secondary, much weaker thrust would break through at Stanislawow (supported by 12 infantry divisions). This force would then cut northward into Tanopol and support the main Panzer thrust into Rowne to seal off an estimated 40-50 Russian divisions including considerable armoured assets. Meanwhile the infantry divisions in the south would begin an advance through Bessarabia in order to secure the Southern Flank. Once again the Luftwaffe’s deadly Junker made bombers would be provided to support the attack. It was estimated that this attack would cost around 10 times as much as Blomberg’s attack and cause many more German deaths, huge amounts of responsibility now rested on von Manstein supreme commander of the operation and the best hope of the mobile armies for one of their own to head the Reichswehr.

untitled13050divencircle.jpg

The first stages of the plan seemed to work perfectly as a large force seemed trapped in the pocket as the Panzers approached their objective in Rowne. Sadly all the Soviet Union’s precious tank divisions had escaped early in the offensive and where now heading to set up a defense West of Kiev. However around 30 divisions of the slowest moving infantry divisions would be unable to escape. Towards the south German infantry now marched into Bessarabia defeating some the escaped tanks.

untitled136.jpg

As the southern wing of infantry continued on their march they would push the Red Army from the field in a tight battle at Modilevi Poldolski and cut a berated division of Soviet armor from a possible retreat back into the Ukraine form Bessarabia, forcing it to retreat towards the Romanian border.

untitled13720divs.jpg

As the Red Army forces caught in the Lvov pocket where on the verge of surrender Manstein approved a scantly looked over plan to advance into Korosten and Moyzr. The aim was to completely annihilate the majority of the Red army which would be caught in two massive pockets in central Ukraine and Belarus. The reality of the attack would be very different as they terrain would leave Panzers ineffective and leave men exposed and cause a killing field like none seen since Kowel. The decision to go forward with the attack even when these faults became apparent would widely be regarded as the biggest mistake of the entire war in the east, almost costing Germany the whole campaign as the almost the entirety of Germany’s armoured core became entrenched in a bitter struggle for a blood-soaked swamp.

dedtankz.jpg

Forgot to mention, the next update will be a horrific mess to put it simply as the entire offensive goes bad :eek:

Well, surely you didn't promise us a rose garden!

Nice, the history tends to repeat itself: Attacking the Soviet Union in early '40ies tends to be quite succesfull in the beginning, but then turns into a mix of mud, snow and blood.

This is kinda good for the story, suspense-wise. Wouldn't be much suspense if Manstein could drive his tank non stop to Seoul. :D

Last edited:
Well, surely you didn't promise us a rose garden!

Nice, the history tends to repeat itself: Attacking the Soviet Union in early '40ies tends to be quite succesfull in the beginning, but then turns into a mix of mud, snow and blood.

This is kinda good for the story, suspense-wise. Wouldn't be much suspense if Manstein could drive his tank non stop to Seoul. :D

Yeah, it will pretty much be doom and gloom next update and not only because of my foolish error with the Panzers. This were I first really learned the importance of the terrain map. As you can see the Soviets were in real trouble at this pint and better descisions could have brought them down by the end of the year. :rolleyes:

Anyway on a better note this AAR is almost at 10,000 views after about 1 and a half months! :D:D:D