• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

majdavlk

Emperor of the United Peoples Republic of Earth
24 Badges
Mar 26, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Do you prefer to have most of your realm under 1 or few big de jure kingdoms or prefer many smaller ones?

also bonus question, what do you think about the amalfi decision? do you think it is better to have 2 small duchies over 1 larger ones?

Deepens how blobby I am that game.

If I'm doing the standard expansion of borders, then large kingdoms are preferable. Free de jure claim wars over more territory, and since I'm likely to form the empire in less than 100 years after i form the kingdom, there's less land to get upset over not de jure drifting.

However, in my most recent game, I started as the Hafsids in 936 and an establishing myself as Barbary pirates, not big land expansionists. I took over the duchies of Crete, Cyprus, and Antioch, and created the custom Sultanate of Antioch. It's a total of seven provinces. Aside from pushing back the Kilabids, the only expansion I've done is to Malta. A small kingdom does me great.

I'm a fan of playing tall so tiny Kingdoms (Brittany and Frisia) are more attractive to me. I also like the little Iberian Peninsula Titulars.

Deepens how blobby I am that game.

If I'm doing the standard expansion of borders, then large kingdoms are preferable. Free de jure claim wars over more territory, and since I'm likely to form the empire in less than 100 years after i form the kingdom, there's less land to get upset over not de jure drifting.

However, in my most recent game, I started as the Hafsids in 936 and an establishing myself as Barbary pirates, not big land expansionists. I took over the duchies of Crete, Cyprus, and Antioch, and created the custom Sultanate of Antioch. It's a total of seven provinces. Aside from pushing back the Kilabids, the only expansion I've done is to Malta. A small kingdom does me great.

sorry if i made it unclear, i am asking if you prefer to drift duchies in a way to make many small kingdoms or few big one/s

De jure drift takes so long it's usually a non-issue. Any full-on drift is rarely more than a coincidence. Otherwise, I'm stuck spending more time ensuring I don't grow in order to grow or prune any kingdom.

As for kingdoms drifting into empires, yes, please, everything drift into my empire, thanks.

I usually don't bother to stop duchies from drifting into my only kingdom so those kingdom grow to unreasonable size - but who cares?
At the end of the day, when I start handing out Kingdom, I give those to Duchies to multiple Vassal-Kings and rule over a Kingdom with only my demesne left