• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have an empire covering the map that I want to completely break up into kingdoms, as in, let all kings expect those in the British Isles go independent.

In this game, I started as a norwegian count and managed to take over England, then the rest of Britain and Ireland. After getting enough holy sites to reform the Norse Faith, I created the Fylkirate and began conquering the rest of the map. Kings became my prime vassals, though I want to make things interesting and see them all go independent. Unfortunatley, I don't seem to be able to do it, because of a condition called ' *Must not be a Norse de-jure vassal or something similar.'

So how exactly do I get my kings to go independent without incurring tyranny until they form a faction for it?

Is it possible to abduct the Pope while raiding Rome?
Not from my experience.

After over 1500 hours of play, I have never been able to imprison a landed individual by successfully sieging their capital (or any of their holdings). I have gotten plenty of their relatives and other court members, but never the lord/lady him/herself.

I have been able to imprison landed individuals (such as the Pope) through battle if they are a general.

I have an empire covering the map that I want to completely break up into kingdoms, as in, let all kings expect those in the British Isles go independent.

In this game, I started as a norwegian count and managed to take over England, then the rest of Britain and Ireland. After getting enough holy sites to reform the Norse Faith, I created the Fylkirate and began conquering the rest of the map. Kings became my prime vassals, though I want to make things interesting and see them all go independent. Unfortunatley, I don't seem to be able to do it, because of a condition called ' *Must not be a Norse de-jure vassal or something similar.'

So how exactly do I get my kings to go independent without incurring tyranny until they form a faction for it?
In order to allow someone to go independent they need to either be:

1. Not your religion (if they are not your religion, you can grant independence regardless of where they are)

OR

2. Not a de jure vassal (if they are of your religion, you can only grant independence if they are not your de jure vassal)

What are your Empire titles and which Kingdoms are you trying to grant independence to?

It is sounding like you are an Emperor (of say Scandinavia), which prevents you from allowing the Norse Kings of Norway, Denmark, and Svithjod/Sweden from going independent.

Did the event initiating the era of Tengri Holy Wars not fire at all? Or is it simply that none have been called?
The event initiating the era of Pagan Great Holy Wars did fire. But none was called.
Remember that the head of the religion must be landed. Although he should start out that way once the religion is reformed. Just might want to check that.
He is landed and my vassal.

So what should I do?

Does Jerusalem have any special mechanics of vassalizing Holy Orders? They've been relocated to Scotland for centuries, but have 2 HO vassals and baronies all over my realm. I pressed a baron's claim on the Templars, they became my vassals but somehow, within that guy's life it went back to Jerusalem. What the hell?
Also, are Teutonic Order commanders supposed to inherit counties from other countries without the king getting claims or even a notification? It's rather annoying.

Last edited:
Does Jerusalem have any special mechanics of vassalizing Holy Orders? They've been relocated to Scotland for centuries, but have 2 HO vassals and baronies all over my realm. I pressed a baron's claim on the Templars, they became my vassals but somehow, within that guy's life it went back to Jerusalem. What the hell?
Also, are Teutonic Order commanders supposed to inherit counties from other contries without the king getting claims or even a notification? It's rather annoying.

Not sure about the second question but yes, the ruler of Jerusalem can pay gold and vassalize the those two Holy Orders by decision.

Question of my own: Do Mongol characters retain their invasion CB if they are of any non-Christian faith?

Seems a bit broken if an exiled Jerusalem is able to "steal" a vassalized Order though.
As for your question: Yes, but only Mongols, other Altaics only get it when actually Pagan. Think I've even seen someone praise (and play) the Mongol/Jain combination once.

Probably been asked before but...

1. Is there a simple or 'exploitly' way in ironman to transfer lots of gold to another character in one go that doesn't involve clicking send gift 1000 times?

As an experiment, I tried doing the surrender trick to force an inheritance but as my original character is still alive his gold did not get inherited.

2. In relation to above, what happens to their gold when an unlanded character of your dynasty dies - i.e. your father after being deposed, living a few years then dying? It seems to vanish as far as I can tell.

The UI in CK2 is designed in concert with repetitive strain injury service providers it seems...

In order to allow someone to go independent they need to either be:

1. Not your religion (if they are not your religion, you can grant independence regardless of where they are)

OR

2. Not a de jure vassal (if they are of your religion, you can only grant independence if they are not your de jure vassal)

What are your Empire titles and which Kingdoms are you trying to grant independence to?

It is sounding like you are an Emperor (of say Scandinavia), which prevents you from allowing the Norse Kings of Norway, Denmark, and Svithjod/Sweden from going independent.

I'm the Empire of Britainnia, but I've had it for over 300 years and great deals of the map now belong to it de jure, including Scandinavia and Iberia.

It doesn't sound possible from what you're saying, so what's the best way to get the kings to leave the empire without dealing too much of a blow to me?

I'm the Empire of Britainnia, but I've had it for over 300 years and great deals of the map now belong to it de jure, including Scandinavia and Iberia.

It doesn't sound possible from what you're saying, so what's the best way to get the kings to leave the empire without dealing too much of a blow to me?
You could temporarily change religions to kick all of the ones you don't need and then go back to old one.

I need some help understanding what just happened with succession. I'm playing on newbie island, the earl of tyrone died leaving only a daughter as his heir. I was able to convince her to accept a non-matrilineal marriage with my son/heir. I had thought this would give me tyrone once my current guy died and I switched to his heir, but this wasn't the case; instead, tyrone went to my grandson, and I'm not sure why. Could someone explain the mechanics of this to me?

Males take preference to females under Agnatic-Cognatic.

So assuming that this grandson will once inherit your title, then they will be combined.

Males take preference to females under Agnatic-Cognatic.

So assuming that this grandson will once inherit your title, then they will be combined.

But why was it my grandson and not my son that ended up with it, since my son was the one who married in? the grandson isn't my direct heir, so now it seems like I have to get him out of the line of succession somehow.

Move your capital to a county with a different religion. Spend 1000 Piety to change religion. Grant independence. Move your capital back to a de jure empire capital (probably Middlesex in your case). Spend 1000 Piety to change religion back.

Your son has no blood relation to his father-in-law, and in CK2, husbands do not rule on their wives' behalf.

I presume the son's wife died.

But why was it my grandson and not my son that ended up with it, since my son was the one who married in? the grandson isn't my direct heir, so now it seems like I have to get him out of the line of succession somehow.
If you are okay being a baby-killer, you can kill the grandson (and usually the father will then inherit - even if the land came from the mother's side).