• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How would marrying into their dynasty give me claims on their turf, unless said son/daughter actually becomes the heir?

Not marry into their dynasty. Marry them into yours.

All children will get claims for all of the titles held by their parents, so if your son marries their daughter, then THEIR son again will have both the throne of Scotland and claims on the Isles, whereupon you can just press those claims. It's generally easier to nibble them to death, since you already have claims in place. The truce only lasts 10 years, and it is broken if their ruler dies.

During the jihad for Serbia, the Shia Caliphate captures the POPE himself. Being England-Ireland, I wasn't part of this war. Is there any way I can ransom the Pope out of jail? Or is Christendom finished till the Pope keels over?

During the jihad for Serbia, the Shia Caliphate captures the POPE himself. Being England-Ireland, I wasn't part of this war. Is there any way I can ransom the Pope out of jail? Or is Christendom finished till the Pope keels over?

I think only a character's liege can ransom, and since the Pope has no liege, you'll probably have to wait, or kill him off.

OK, so I take Rome. The Pope disappears; where can I find him (and he isn't currently residing among the riff-raff of Rome). Is there a short way?

Is it possible to move a councilor to a vacant position without getting the "fired from council" penalty? My chaplain just died and my steward would be the best replacement (and he is a lousy steward) but I cannot find a way to do it without lowering his opinion of me.

Is it possible to move a councilor to a vacant position without getting the "fired from council" penalty? My chaplain just died and my steward would be the best replacement (and he is a lousy steward) but I cannot find a way to do it without lowering his opinion of me.

Unfortunately, no. On the other hand, the negative malus from being fired is countered by the new position. There's a net loss, of course, but not severe.

It's only actual claims you can use the "Press All Claim" CB on. Either forged or inherited. Anything that shows up in the Claims part of your character.
Is there a way to press half the claims? That might be usefull for me in a while, though maybe not since they'll commit everything anyway, but it might make the war shorter.

As HRE can the kingdom of germany assimilate anything? What if Someone else holds the kingdom of germany and controls the enterity of a duchy in say the kingdom of italy.

As HRE can the kingdom of germany assimilate anything? What if Someone else holds the kingdom of germany and controls the enterity of a duchy in say the kingdom of italy.

The Kingdom will assimilate Duchies that are vassals of the King. As long as the entire duchy is vassalised by Germany (or by a Duke who in turn is a German vassal) it will assimilate. Note, getting the Imperial title can mess this up.

The best way to ensure assimilation is to give the Duchies you want assimilated to a Duke within de Jure Germany. As long as their primary title is de Jure Germany, they'll continue assimilating.

These have no doubt been covered elsewhere, so apologies. (Playing 1.06b vanilla)

First question: can the KoJ - or anyone else, for that matter - vassalise the Templars or Hospitallers? Especially after they become landed?

Second question: what are the best troops to assault castles with? What type of combat is an assault? (I've looked in the defines.lua but don't see it.)

I've been looking all over for this, but haven't found anything on the forum or in the manual.

My question is whether there's some tab or other that lists all my Honorary Title and who I have given them to?
Right now I can only clikc through all my vassals and see it there, if I want to know who is who. To find out which ones I can bestow I have to click on the option in the Diplomacy tab and see which titles are available to give away.

These have no doubt been covered elsewhere, so apologies. (Playing 1.06b vanilla)

First question: can the KoJ - or anyone else, for that matter - vassalise the Templars or Hospitallers? Especially after they become landed?

Second question: what are the best troops to assault castles with? What type of combat is an assault? (I've looked in the defines.lua but don't see it.)

IIRC the KOJ is the only country that can Vassalise them.

Can characters (in particular, heirs) randomly alter their culture for no good reason at all? Or am I seeing things? I swear, all of my plausible heirs were Basque twenty years ago. I had them tutored in Navarre, and fought a lengthy war for freedom out of vassalage once they converted to Basque. Now the Queen has died, and they are all Irish, but their children are still Basque. I have to wait through two more monarchs to get my Basque king... what are the chances that their children will spontaneously decide to be Irish and mess things up further?

Is there any benefit to creating a new kingdom out of a part of my realm? I'm playing as Sweden and recently conquered 8/15 parts of the Kingdom of Finland "region"(?) and I can create the Kingdom of Finland. Will this cause more problems than it benefits me?

Also I'm pretty much a complete newb and I'm having serious problems getting my vassals to like me. I have to constantly bash their heads in every few years because they keep rebelling and this is just a cycle that continuously worsens relations. What should I do? I don't imprison without a valid cause, I don't revoke titles without having a proper cause, I don't do anything ruthless to people in my own realm or outside it. I have recently been more lenient on conscription and taxes for my feudal vassals and have always been having the minimum levies for both cities and churches and the taxes have been somewhere in the middle but this doesn't seem to go very far. I know my taxes are fairly heavy and this causes some problems, especially in regards to my feudal vassals, but I can't see why this would make them almost constantly rebel.

And finally, I would say I have a very good grasp of the economical and administrative aspect of the game but the diplomatic side is a terrible headache for me both in regards to within own realm and outside it. Any general tips for a newbie to be good at diplomacy? For example the possibility to inherit other nations/duchies/counties, how to "properly" manage all my children in regards to marriages with other states and so on. Oh and most importantly, how do I get my vassal dukes to approve the person I want as my heir? Since there is always at least one person constantly far below 0 relations I can't improve the laws regarding succession and I still have elected kings, though thankfully I haven't had the kingship pass to an undesireable person yet.