• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Using the ruler creator, I'm getting some really odd names from the sons and daughters of my ruler.

For instance, if I name my character Alejandro, his sons and daughters will have a name like Roberto Alejandrez, rather than Roberto (Dynasty Name Here).

Is this standard, and supposed to happen? Am I doing something wrong, perhaps?

Using the ruler creator, I'm getting some really odd names from the sons and daughters of my ruler.

For instance, if I name my character Alejandro, his sons and daughters will have a name like Roberto Alejandrez, rather than Roberto (Dynasty Name Here).

Is this standard, and supposed to happen? Am I doing something wrong, perhaps?

Some cultures inherit the father's name, remember? Like Scotland and Ireland and such. MacBeth, your father's name was Beth? THAT'S A GIRL'S NAME!

Ah, I see. So it'd do that because I was playing as a member of the culture of Castille! So will all their last names just be a changed name of their fathers, then? What kinds of cultures just use the dynasty name as their surname?

Has anyone experienced their vassals raising their own levies and going on crusade? I can't recall this happening.

1. Each duchy has its own succession laws in addition to the crown laws. Same with kingdoms within Empires. Chances are they became elective because you created them when you were elective. A Duchy's generic successions is gavelkind.

2. Not really, no. If you want easy movement I'd suggest raising the ships first and getting those to group, then raising the men and loading them into the boats. Naval movement is decidedly faster, and unless you pack your navy full of men you shouldn't suffer any real attrition. That should help you pool them together before meeting enemy forces. Also, landing a fleet in one of your ports can be a great way of catching the enemy off-guard.

Thanks.

Another question for anyone that can help me:

Is there any way I can check how big a character's army is? There's been a couple of times I've declared war then ended up regretting it because they had more units than I thought they did...

Yes actually. I was the King of Ireland with low or no CA. At the time I was immensely frustrated at how it was effecting my plans for conquest.

I can imagine :) I'm sure it must have happened in one of my games too then. It would be good if all crusading army sprites carried or wore a cross or something so at a glance you could tell that they were crusaders.

This may or may not have been posted previously, but if one has not yet bought the Sword of Islam DLC, and your only heir converts to Islam, what happens?

Noob question I know but can someone explain the significance of the various frames around character portraits please? Specifically the blue ribbons.

Gold with purple ribbons: Emperor
Gold: King
Silver with blue ribbons: Duke
Silver: Count
Bronze: Baron