Crusader Kings II - 1.103 PATCH RELEASED - Checksum WQLL - NOT for problem reports!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks for the patch.

Some notes:

I hope you, in addition to Gavelkind, you fix the "not-creating-secondary-duchies-thus-not-able-to-form-kingdoms" also for the other successions, because the problem exists also for example the Muslims. I have seen huge Songhay emir having an ambition to become the king of Mali and controlling all of Mali and Mauretania but not creating any of the other duchies in order to create the kingdom, money and piety (for both secondary duchy and the kingdom title) is not a problem. He shouldn't fear splitting the realm in succession because multi-emirate Muslim realms shouldn't split in any case (Agnatic Succession, or any other successions than Gavelkind, doesn't split realms, the fear of that should apply only to Gavelkind titles). You should probably check this for Primogeniture and Seniority, too (ducal tier republics don't create duchies, either, preventing them to form Most Serene Republics).

I hope the infidel marriage block is removed, as it was pre-1.10. But the direction is good!

And, removing the out-de-jure-drifting of the kingdoms off the empires is bad in my view. For example Bohemia cannot EVER drift out of the HRE, even if it has never been part of it (867 start, if the HRE forms). The Kaiser having de jure claims for Bohemia to the end of the game in this case is bad design.

Otherwise, great patch, many thanks!

I take it you refer to scripted bastards creating new dynasties? There won't be a hotfix for that, but perhaps something in the future.

Yay, cadet branches 95% confirmed (up from 85%). Nice patch, a bit of a pity that the next one is in August.

@Doom

Are you aware of the bastard dynasty problem? Any thoughts?

You beat me to it. :)

I take it you refer to scripted bastards creating new dynasties? There won't be a hotfix for that, but perhaps something in the future.

Well OK, thanks for responding; but hopefully this will be addressed in the future.

@ Prince Michael: regarding de jure drifting out, IMHO Bohemia (at least starts after 895/1003 ) is not the best example for this, IMHO a more a historical one regarding the added potential empires might have been better. Also though it is no secret that I'm not the biggest fan of de jure drift, but a seemingly uneven system doesn't seem totally right to me. However if I read the change log correctly, that only applies to uncreated kingdoms or kingdoms without a king (the latter would need to be recreated in game), kingdoms with a king can drift out an empire.

Last edited:
- Independent kingdoms can no longer drift out of their de jure empires

This is a bad idea... it means you're making smaller realms (like Sicily and Croatia) a legitimate target for their de jure liege's unreasonable appetite, all the way to game's end date...

It would have been ok if AI could reasonably assess how a particular province is worth a risky war.

But as it stands now, no matter what traits the basileus has, he will never mind throwing his realm in a war against Sicily or Croatia even when they're allied to HRE, giving claimants' factions a tempting window to press their demand...

Does it make sense for anyone... putting the crown at risk, just to get a worthless province of a different religion and different culture!

This is a bad idea... it means you're making smaller realms (like Sicily and Croatia) a legitimate target for their de jure liege's unreasonable appetite, all the way to game's end date...

It would have been ok if AI could reasonably assess how a particular province is worth a risky war.

But as it stands now, no matter what traits the basileus has, he will never mind throwing his realm in a war against Sicily or Croatia even when they're allied to HRE, giving claimants' factions a tempting window to press their demand...

Does it make sense for anyone... putting the crown at risk, just to get a worthless province of a different religion and different culture!

It fixed bigger problems, like England and France drifting out of their empires, and was probably related to the problem under it (that formed kingdoms didn't drift).

That said, they could fix that particular issue by moving Sicily and Venice to Italia and Croatia to Carpathia (and Georgia to Tartaria). Exactly why Byzantium gets de-jure territory that is to put it bluntly aspirational when its one of the few formed empires on the board is an enduring mystery. Especially when it comes with "fun" outcomes like one-shotting Venice out of the game with boring regularity.

It fixed bigger problems, like England and France drifting out of their empires, and was probably related to the problem under it (that formed kingdoms didn't drift).

That said, they could fix that particular issue by moving Sicily and Venice to Italia and Croatia to Carpathia (and Georgia to Tartaria). Exactly why Byzantium gets de-jure territory that is to put it bluntly aspirational when its one of the few formed empires on the board is an enduring mystery. Especially when it comes with "fun" outcomes like one-shotting Venice out of the game with boring regularity.
What happens to the other republics (Genoa, Pisa) if they become de iure independent? Do they become de iure part of Italia? Also, I disagree with giving Sicily to Italia, especially early on, when the Byzantines still had considerable influence there.

This is the first time I've used Steam for a game. How do you make sure it downloads the patch?

If you haven't changed the Steam settings for the game, and/or you're online, then it should update it automatically
when you're not playing/downloading any game (as that apparently pauses updates until you're done playing/downloading).
Just look for 1.103 WQLL. I think mine updated today.

Nice fixes :)

I experience a "bug" i think, when some mercenaries revolt against their employer and try to conquer it, if defeated, their armies stand at the place they were when the peace is signed (this was like that with 1.101 and 1.102). And it seems it is no more possible to recruit them anymore.
I tried jumping to other nations and it appears it is the same from those nations that are allowed to recruit them (when the savegame works, because it seems that since 1.101 swaping to another nation make the game crash when unpausing it)

anyone experience that too? I havent seen post about that yet

Last edited:
Byzantine's de jure territory is legitimate and historical. That it makes the AI make bad/uninteresting decisions in the issue.

like the HRE not having Pommerania, Burgundy or Italy. Oh wait...

One adds, Pommerania was largely so the the HRE wouldn't screw up the baltic pagans. However letting Byz destroy Venice is apparently hunky-dory.

What happens to the other republics (Genoa, Pisa) if they become de iure independent? Do they become de iure part of Italia? Also, I disagree with giving Sicily to Italia, especially early on, when the Byzantines still had considerable influence there.

? They start there and stay there. I've yet to see Italia even come close to being formed by the AI and if the player hasn't manhandled one or both of those republics by that point, they haven't wanted to (especially as they both start in the kingdom of italy).

The de jure claims an empire has are irrelevant if nobody forms it. The problems for Venice, Sicily & Croatia is that the Byzantine empire is formed and so can use its claims.

Last edited:
JUST one HandsOff Game.

Start 1066.

Has no objective relevance. I'm just posting the result.

zybzs.png

What is meh ?

Gotland: Ate Danemark, ate Sweden, stable
Pisa: Ate Kingdom of Sicily , ate parts of southern spain (off muslims), then Venice got killed by the ERE, Pisa proceeded to eat what you see
Venice: destroyed by ERE, Pisa went wild
Hanse: existed for about 5 years only, again!
Hungary: got conquered by Pechenegs quite early

What is quite obvious, as soon as the republics have no republican opponent close by, they go wild.

If anything needs some work, then Republics.
Solutions:
- More wary AI feudal states/lieges towards republics. Maybe better chance of an embargo war and getting claims and and landgrab against them, when they get a certain yearly income.
- More infighting, plots, factions (anyone?), breaking free, more feudal vassals

I don't know, but they are pretty steady and Sweden doesnt act soon enough against its rich republican vassal. Lieges should try to keep republics under control.
Maybe finding a way the feudal AI could handle republics, while a human, contrary to the AI, playing a republic could still deal with a more wary feudal AI or plotting republican one.
I know it's tough to get a good balance. ;)

Anything else:

Heathen Perm (reformed close to end) and orthodox Poland survived throughout.
HRE only took advantage of a France in civil war and took Hungary very late when it was owned by the Golden Horde. Enough civil wars in between.
Christian Jerusalem existed about 6 times, if not more often.
Scotland became Alba quite often when the scottish throne was taken by irish.
Ilkhanate became nestorian.
Shia Timurids conquered all and more than that in 30 years. Smaller now through revolts (no idea which kind).
Prussian Lithuania existed very long and reunited after the screenshot
SHAMS got bored and settled in egypt.
No more Sunni, Zoroastrian or Miaphysite
Heathen Pommerania survived til the late 13th century
Kingdom of Sicily existed quite long without any probs with muslims until Pisa blew them into pieces.

That's it. Just thought i share my hours long handsoff game.
Will check localisation issues next.
Cheers and thanks for the patch.

Last edited: