• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
England, the who...pper of Europe: 1521-1544
So history began as horribly as we had mentioned at the end of last chapter: Brandemburg had taken most of our land. After endless negotiations, we were close to signing a humiliating peace, but then the unthinkable came: Foreign Intervention from no less than the formerly called 'cheese eaters', less than a century before -now referred too as 'refined wine makers', after their help.

But, would it end like that? Not really. BRA was part of the HRE, and for some reason nations do accept whatver the HRE Emperor says. Also, protestantism was already crossing the streets of North Germany, so many wanted to convince the Prussians on the advanatages of remaining part of Catholic Faith. And so they forced a white peace on the issue. White? Well, not fully: To make it more of a joke, we got Bermuda... Now that it meant nothing anymore. Guess German Sarcasm on us, as it was their idea.

So England prepared to recover. Losses were plenty -particularly on the economy, which lagged way behind rest of Europe-. One refinery had been burnt in this process, multiple loans had been settled, and we had lost our chance to retain fully North American lands on our own right.

In the Americas, a rally betwee Brandemburg and England began with the natives tribes, even if England had not begun it before as we were not certain the peace forced us to stay inside it outside it.... How did we get to know? Well, Spain can tell you:

Spain invaded us.

Yes, as it sounds. They were our mates, we had allowed nice boundaries and never messed their colonies... And they did decide to ra...ravage our lands for no sense. So we were forced into vasallization, and they said the international treaties did not just allow our christianization of native lands, but they would help us even if we had turned protestant -that's guilt feeling for you!-.

So our income finally was catching up a bit with the main nations at the end of last game, with some minor reforms on trade and navy slowly helping us. Also protestantism began to take over the rest of faiths around the area and a Weapons manu was built with the help of artisans from Calais.

But... We're King Charle's wh...opper now. And so will remain until the 20 years of infamy end. We'lll take it philosophically, as a chance to learn to defend ourselves.

Rewards:
+ Innovative slider -fast tech!-
- 1 deflation

Also exchange any naval random leader for an explorer.

Last edited:
Brandenburg: 1521-1544

At the end of the last session, I was poised to enforce a peace on England. On Skye, he agreed to vassalization, payment of 1000D, and surrender of a lonely colony on the Southern coast of NA. All was well.

For the rest of the week, I daydreamed about how good it was going to feel to make this peace. I wondered how much the vassalage to bump my income, and how much my MP pool would go up. I was so proud.

Occasionally, a worrisome thought would flit through my mind. "What if a foreign power offers to help, and England reneges"? But I reassured myself. Who could help them? I had truces with anyone who might have cared, France included. Logic dictated that this thing was in the bag. And yet somehow the worries continued to creep in.

It turned out that my intuition was right. On the day of the session, I tried to get in touch with Urko to make sure we were still on the same page, with no response(A fairly benign thing all by itself). But then when we got in, France broke the truce and joined the war. Immediately, demands began flying for my surrender of North America.

I won't get into how upsetting and lame this was. But there was a question about the legality of France's truce breaking, which was finally decided in a vote(The last vote decided the issue against my getting the vassalage... Probably because someone just didn't want to rehost).

In a compromise though, WP was enforced, and a 20 year NAP that would reflect some of what would have been established in case of the vassalage. It didn't make up for the armies that France trashed in England though, nor quell my disappointment.

The other exciting thing to happen was that Austria and Poland had been merged in order to instantly fill the vacuum left by Joohoo's sudden departure. This new country turned out to be a lot more powerful than anticipated, largely because the Poland side of it was now receiving the benefits of the vassal bug(whereas separate Poland did not have the vassal MP bonus). So I found myself, recently triumphant against the Austro-Polish gang, now in a more glaringly inferior position vis a vis this Polstria.

I thought "Hmmm. Hal wants a corridor to connect his country. I can fight him over it, as I've done the whole game so far, or perhaps it's time to put that behind, and try something new".

I don't know if Brand could have withstood an attack from Austria. I don't even want to bother thinking about it, because instead of that, we managed to broker a deal, exchanging Oppeln for Wurzburg, followed soon by a maps deal, letting him steal my maps for 700D(And I gave him my blessing to settle the open lands in North America).

We were getting along at last, and that was a positive change. Certainly it was a lot cheaper than the constant fighting, and it enabled us to think of some other directions to take ourselves in.

Meanwhile Spain, which had signed a French nap earlier(that was part of how France was able to intervene in England), exacted divine justice on them by vassalizing England. This didn't help me in any direct way, but in my heart I was thankful to see justice delivered to perfidious Albion for slipping out of our peace. It was one of the happiest moments of my session.

And then a lot of talking happened, which culminated in plans for attack on France. It was finally decided that Spain and Brandenburg would drive the assault, with Spain opening the attack, and my armies entering shortly after. In 1543, I got Alcibiades, and began my part of the war. Unfortunately, my inferior morale made it hard to establish myself across the Rhine. The French armies invariably defeated my poor brutes, so all I could do was reform, reinforce, and try again and again. The one thing about it is that my efforts up North added enough of a strain to the French that our alliance, overall, was able to make serious headway.

Post session, a peace has been agreed upon for Trier, Pfalz, and Modena.

Ontime: Half year income
AAR: +4 monarch mil rating

One time reset of quality to 5.

Decentralized 0 bonus:
+2 random leaders of choise(2 generals)
+2 maneuver to all leaders generated
+1year income in any single tech or stab of choise (Land tech)
+1 core on any province you currently control (Kentucky, 67)
+2 admin rating for your current king

Change cultures in Hinterpommern (302), and Neumark (313), from Polish to German.

Also, I want to exchange 1 admiral for 1 explorer.

Last edited:
As Sweden has not been all that active of late there is little, if anything, to report. As such I shall endeavor to rate all other countries (excluding Sweden) thus far (1410-1540) as my AAR.

1.) Spain

Oh what a glorious empire be Spain! I must say TC has done a superb job so far, in my humble opinion. Most of the early development was solid, if not really exceptional. Just the regular foundation laying and AI whacking. What does impress me, however, is Spanish belligerence and success at that. It truly is an empire in its prime at present. Like its historical example it is not a realm to be trifled with at present. Sweeping into England and now being on the verge of defeating mighty France it is - for lack of a more apt metaphor - the morning star that ensures there won´t be any further morning.

2.) The OE

Dane, likewise, has done a splendid job vis a vis his country, I´d wager. Pepsi started off impressively and probably would have made for some interesting, additional dynamic, had he not ragequit. Even still, with Dane´s leadership the OE has blossomed into a truly gargantuan monstrosity stretching all the way from the Cape of Good Hope to India. How sustainable so vast an empire can be, we shall see. For now, however, it shines with the balmy radiance of success.

3.) France

Drake´s performance has been, as always, extremely competent. He managed to rapidly unite France and then grab some serious real estate in Northern Italy and the Lowlands. With such a powerful realm he then used its economic power to systematically develop France´s industrial base (refineries), allowing him to become one of the leading trading nations and thus bestowing upon France even more wealth. He might lose the current war but the awesome power of France will remain. Its golden age is yet to come...

4.) Brandenburg

I can´t help myself. I always feel thrilled to see the Germans succeed. And succeed they did! Under KJ´s tutelage Brandenburg rapidly expanded in all directions. Craftily aligning itself with Spain and thus becoming, for all intents and purposes, a Hohenzollern "Austria" it has thus been able to benefit from Spanish goodwill (and gold). Even more impressive was the prowess that allowed it to defeat first Poland and Austria and simultaneously England. Now *that* is a glorious victory, even if the fruits of same were ultimately...denied. Where things go from here no man can say. But even now at this time it has proven its military´s merit.

5.) Poland

Ah HAL. Hal is such a cruel and senseless player, heh. Hal will be Hal. He always is what he is. Like some kind of manic flail he falls upon his neighbours delivering power blows and crying out in bewilderment when they strike back. Even still his realm was rather impressive, to me, when he had managed to unite Lithuania with Poland. On the other hand losing against Brandenburg - in spite of a massive structural advantage in its favour - has somewhat sullied an otherwise exceptional record. Overall: soso.

6.) England

England started off with a very impressive economic development. But maybe this extremely economic focus was - ultimately - its undoing as it left Albion - while economically speaking potentially very powerful - in a rather precarious situation militarily. And this vulnerabilty was first explioited by Brandenburg and then later by Spain. Of course England is also before its golden years. It´s thus really not altogether fair to judge them at this time.

7.) Russia

Russia is a strange case. It started off vigorously with Dane in command. It seemed poised to become a serious regional power ere long. Then once Pepsi-Gate hit and Longo took over it kind of entered a long phase of stagnation after which it was cruelly raped by Poland. What will happen next is anyone´s guess. With Delian in charge I´m rather optimistic about it.

8.) Austria

Hmmm. I can´t say I´ve been all that impressed with Austria in this campaign so far. It´s mainly been a punching bag for its neighbours and failed rather abysmally at achieving its goals. It could and should have done better, in my opinion.

Ontime reward: -1%
AAR reward: -1%

-2 centralized:

+1 max maneuver to leaders generated
+6 months income in any single tech or stab of choice (trade)
+1admin rating to your current king

Core on Jämtland please. I asked for it last week but it wasn´t done.

2 explorers instead of 2 admirals please.

Last edited:
7.) Russia

Russia is a strange case. It started off vigorously with Dane in command. It seemed poised to become a serious regional power ere long. Then once Pepsi-Gate hit and Longo took over it kind of entered a long phase of stagnation after which it was cruelly raped by Poland. What will happen next is anyone´s guess. With Delian in charge I´m rather optimistic about it.

Interesting AAR, I wouldn't say Longo's stewardship constituted a phase of stagnation though. Longo had the option of crushing HAL when he was still just Poland (Longo had LT9 and Poland wasn't even close) but chose not to for two reasons. 1) He wanted to just learn the game in peace after what happened in Portugal and 2) HAL was making noises about quitting after being ganged by BB/Sweden and Longo was afraid HAL would quit if he was attacked. Then he was ghosted for a session (teching Infra) so when he came back was behind in LT and we know the rest.

Reactions:
Interesting AAR, I wouldn't say Longo's stewardship constituted a phase of stagnation though. Longo had the option of crushing HAL when he was still just Poland (Longo had LT9 and Poland wasn't even close) but chose not to for two reasons. 1) He wanted to just learn the game in peace after what happened in Portugal and 2) HAL was making noises about quitting after being ganged by BB/Sweden and Longo was afraid HAL would quit if he was attacked. Then he was ghosted for a session (teching Infra) so when he came back was behind in LT and we know the rest.

Ah yes that might explain it, I agree. I wasn´t even aware that Longo actually had a window of opportunity where he had LT9 and Poland didn´t. That makes HAL´s subsequent Portorussian puppy rape all the more evil, imo.

France 1510-1540​

France started the session in a attempt to save england from vassalization, something i wanted to avoid mostly because previous session it felt that john overpowert his neigbors already and i didnt want to make it any more difficult to contain him

unfortunatly i had a truce due to a fake war earlier, where i was just watching the fight go on and on and on between aus/pol and bb so that cost me more then 5000 gold worth of stabhits and in the end it probably mattered very little as spain used the the session to dow and vassalize england himself a few years later

since i had hoped to avoid another war with spain i didnt get involved and i also had a nap with spain eitherway wich i dont intend to break,

england put up a good defence but he was no real match for the superior strenght of spain at the time and he stil isnt.

france itself just kept himself busy colonising, exploring, i used the time to discover most of the interior and westcoast of North america allowing me to colonise california and set up camp somewhere in northern louisiana to alongside the great lakes

i used cartier to explore the way to india then attached him to a big galley fleet with army on it to sail all the way to malaka and capture the ports in the sourthern tip.

at that point i stil had about 60k in asia but i blew alot of that army later on with the sacking of zanzibar.

eitherway after my glorious invasion of singapore i had planned to attack some indonesian natives but unfortunatly i got attacked by spain wich i had hoped to avoid

as ussual his first move was parking himself in the mountains on my border provinces wich are a pain to reliev especially when his army is much bigger then the french even at the start of the war.

fighting was going on mostly in italy and i was seriously considering spain his demand until ofcourse they had to make a gank out of it when brandenburg joined

when brandenburg joined i changed strategy and send most of my army north at this point instead of trying to releave my mountain provinces i was focussed on conducting a more mobile defence with armys going from north to south at times to fight spain and bb off

at the end of the session brandenburg lost his general and had severe problems crossing the rhine but spain just had to much troops to really handle properly, spain alone outnumbert france in the fields of my own country so i desided to agree to terms after session despite the fact that several countrys where ready to jump bb and spain i stil would have suffered stabhits and horrible losses if this continiud.

i found spanish demands fairly reasonable considering i took modena from them in the passed, but brandenburg crossing the rhine is fairly unacceptable and will be remembert for a very long time.

aar+ontime -2 inflation
+1year in landtech
core 677
+2centra for king

Last edited:
Reactions:
Ah yes that might explain it, I agree. I wasn´t even aware that Longo actually had a window of opportunity where he had LT9 and Poland didn´t. That makes HAL´s subsequent Portorussian puppy rape all the more evil, imo.

In his defense, I'm sure HAL wasn't aware of it either. ;)

Brandenburg: 1544-1564

The session went very well. My goal of the session was to take rest of the Rhinelands from France, and Brandenburg succeeded in that goal.

Beginning the session, peace was concluded with France for Modena to Spain, and Trier and Pfalz for Brandenburg. I had signed a 20 year NAP with Austria, had also signed one with the OE, and felt secure knowing I could focus 100% on my goal of defeating France. Some other things working in my favor were the +4 military bringing my monarch mil to 9, and my qual going up 2 notches to 6(1 from edits, 1 from a click), and France losing 1 land.

Six years went by. The first thing I did was vassalize Iroqois, getting the support bonus finally. Then I LT'd, built forts, and got my army over the support limit. I had a bit of a LT lead on France, so I thought I'd try to hit him with LT 18 whenever I got it. I wasn't able to use it in the upcoming war, but it was to come in handy later on.

France was busy conquering all the lands of Indonesia, and had in the course of its latest AI fest, gotten its WE up to a whopping 10. At the same time, his stab had somehow gotten knocked down to -2. He was, therefore, in the worst condition to fight a war, and when I dow'd him for Cologne, it took only a few battles before he accepted my demand.
I was a little bit disappointed at having it wrap up so quickly, but took the simple satisfaction of a victory and began preparing for the next war.

The first thing I did after this war though was to take a swing at England, which had just broken free from Spain. The way that English lands are spread out, with territories strung along the Southern North American coastline, one province deep where I can hit right at all their armies simultanteously with superior forces, and with minimal forts all across their Northern section as well, it made for a pretty fun attack. Within the first three months, after hitting and occupying the fortless southern provs, after dislodging the tiny armies there, I had almost 20 warscore.

With English morale lower than mine, I believe I was heading toward a quick victory, but Sweden took a stand against this action, and insisted I peace. I had a little bit of resentment about them doing this, as I had signed a NAP with Sweden which had no provisions about England. After a short delay, WP was signed, along with a 20 year NAP.

The truce with France was to expire December 1559, a few years later. I was at the ahead of time penalty for LT 18, but then it finally went away, and I was two years from reaching it. I decided to slow my rate of teching though, as I didn't want to get it too early, and alarm Drake. Set the investment so that I'd get it in late Autumn of 1559.

Built the army over the support limit again. Had troops in NA ready to fight France in Minnesota, and a much, much bigger army ready to make the big push in Europe. An ultimatum was sent for Frisien, maps, and a NAP, was rejected, and war began.

With the CRT, things went rather smoothly. Some battles were fought in the forests in Luxenbourg and Bar. The French had some cavalry there, which made their forces less effective. Much of their cav was burned in these battles, and then when they retreated to Champagne, I had my 60k cav that was standing by roll into action, and continue the pursuit. There was a major pitched battle there, and my CRT brought me another victory. The French were pursued further, to Paris, where a misclick sent mine retreating even further to the West, which had to be followed by a retreat back to Paris. But in the ensuing Paris battle, further reinforcements from Germany came to help my embattled cav army, victory was once again granted by the CRT. Meanwhile, I was right in the thick of the French recruitment base, and my armies were able to hit some reinforcements.

At this point, peace was agreed upon. Warscore was a little above 40, between the battles and occupying three Euro provs(though the conq of theirs in NA had given France some compensating ws). Terms agreed on were Alsace, Frisien, maps, and a 20 year NAP.

The rest of the session was pretty quiet for me. I converted, built forts, got trade 6, traded some in the newly revealed cots, and for kicks started building a FAA in Berlin.

Edits:

Ontime: Half year income to treasury
AAR: Half year income to treasury

Decentralized:
+2 random leaders of choise (Generals)
+1year income in any single tech or stab of choise (infra tech)
+1 core on any province you currently control (1933)

I'll trade one admiral for an explorer

Last edited:
A History of the Ottoman Empire: 1544-1564
Reign of Sultan Süleymân I Kanuni (the lawgiver) Khan,
Emperor,
Sovereign of the House of Osman,
Sultan of Sultans,
Khan of Khans,
Commander of the Faithful and Successor (Caliph) of the Prophet of the Lord of the Universe,
Custodian of the Holy Sanctuaries (the Holy Cities of Mecca, Medina and Jerusalem),
Lord of all Africa,
Emperor of Rome,
Emperor of The Three Cities of Constantinople, Adrianople and Bursa, and of the Cities of Damascus and Cairo, of all Azerbaijan, of the Magreb, of Barka, of Kairouan, of Aleppo, of the Arabic and the Persian Iraq, of Basra, of Al-Hasa strip, of Ar Raqqah, of Mosul, of Diyarbakır, of Cilicia, of Ahmadabad, of Bombay and the Deccan of India, of the provinces of Erzurum, of Sivas, of Adana, of Karaman, Van, of Abyssinia, of Tripoli, of Damascus, of Cyprus, of Crete, of the province of Morea, of the Mediterranean Sea, the Black Sea and also their coasts, of Anatolia, Rumelia, Baghdad, Kurdistan, Greece, Turkistan, Tartary, of the two regions of Kabarda, of the Steppe of Kypchaks, of the whole country of the Tatars, of the City and Fort of Belgrade, of the province of Serbia, with all the castles and cities, of all Albania, of all Eflak and Bogdania, as well as all the dependencies and borders, and many other countries and cities, of Benin and Songhai, of the oases of the Sahara and protector of the faithful.

IX-1564a.jpg
Europe 1564

Chapter 2: TC and I waste a lot of money for nothing

Prelude

Boy, this session was ugly. It started off well enough with the vassalization of AIs in Arabia, some colonization and Drake building a shipyard for me in Qeshm. Some pagans were annexed in Africa, others were converted and trade was expanded (somewhat expensively, since I'd dropped my mercantilism for more colonists). Before the session I'd planned to help Russia recover its rightful place in the east, so we built up our armies and DoWed in 1552. However, I didn't count on Spain having anything to say about it, which turned out to be an incorrect assumption. Austria/HAL hadn't helped Spain do anything all game, and although I'd made some noises about helping Drake I hadn't actually done anything. In addition, we weren't asking for a lot, and nothing for the OE. However, I think TC was a little paranoid about Ottoman power so he joined the war. I was a little sleepy and with the wrong message settings didn't notice he was even in the war until six months after he joined.

Africa

The war went well at first, I assaulted into the Balkans a little and sieged several of HAL's small border forts. I was taking attrition, but didn't care--It's not like I was going to run out of manpower. When I noticed Spain joined I occupied its South African colony and sent my fleet to Zanzibar, which eventually kept me out of stabhit range when things went south. Then Spain pulled its first major offensive, in North Africa. I'd kept Suleyman there, because it's where I expected him to attack, but I wasn't about to risk him in the deserts west of Egypt when TC had an unknown amount of cavalry ready to drop down from his ships. I was losing provinces slowly, but TC was taking a ton of attrition and the provinces were too poor to really affect the warscore. Meanwhile I had landed troops in the Crimea and was assaulting my way across the southern Ukraine. We had stabhitting warscore for a while here, but didn't send many (any?) stabhits because we were holding out for more provinces. I believe we were at or close to stabhitting warscore for most of the war, but never sent more than a few as far as I know.

Anatolia

After about a year messing around in North Africa, HAL started screaming for help and TC obliged by opening a new front in Anatolia. He blocked the strait and landed in Western Anatolia with about 100k. I had left about 50k there under a leader in case this happened, but idiotically I sent it to perform the invasion of Crimea mentioned above. Most of the forts were minimal and I actually got a little lucky when he failed an assault. He did succeed in assaulting Teke, Izmir and Bursa though. I managed to sneak 100k across the strait and into the mountains in the east (Karaman and Angara) and continued recruiting in eastern Anatolia which stabilized the situation. I also had to keep an army in Constantinople so he didn't just hop over to the other side of the strait and take more provinces unopposed. He was camped in the mountains of Germyan, and I didn't want to attack across a river into Bursa where he could reinforce with cavalry from his ships, so we stalemated there for a while. I tried to sally my fleet a few times hoping for a good roll, but never got it.

Eventually I got him to move out of Germyan (possibly by fake marches to Bursa but the whole war is somewhat foggy), then began sieging it and Teke. At this point his Anatolian expedition was doomed because I held all the mountains, but it had served its purpose: HAL had recovered everything I had taken in the Balkans and Crimea. In the north Delian was making some headway, but Russia is severely overmatched by Austria and it was taking everything I had to repel TC. Honestly, I'm amazed Delian did as well as he did. After 1554 or so he was fighting 1v1 against HAL and actually making substantial progress despite his handicap. Looking at the stats I see it did cost him a lot though. I occasionally send leaderless armies (I didn't have any spare generals) to assault random Austrian border forts, but these were quickly retaken. I guess it did force HAL to keep some men in reserve.

TC had been pushed back to Bursa, Izmir and Karsai, which are plains provinces and can't all reinforce each other. My army was about 80k-90k half infantry half cavalry. He had three armies totaling maybe 100k spread across the three provinces. I moved to Izmir, but TC was looking somewhere else and started moving late (plus his Bursa detachment didn't have a chance of arriving in time). I won the battle pretty convincingly and TC prepared to shift to yet another theater of war.

ukScQS3.jpg

The Theater of War

Greece and North Africa (again)
I left about 50k in Anatolia under a leader and shipped the rest of my men to the other side of the strait, preparing to once again take up the invasion of Austria. Unfortunately, Spain has literally as many men as he wants to mint for and was already back with fresh armies which landed in Greece. I had 7k in Attica I'd forgotten about, but with some mercenary help they were able to repel the first landing. Eventually they got pushed back and TC landed men in Attica, Epirus and Morea. The AI had built Morea into a medium fort which bought me some time, and I started redeploying my armies to Thessalia and Albania to contain TC. Unfortunately, this time he had landed in mountain provinces instead of plains, so it was going to be a lot harder to dislodge him. Again, my lack of leaders hurt me. I had about 30k in Albania, but my leader was still marching in from Constantinople to Thessaly so TC was able to dislodge that 20k despite my hiring two mercenary bands to boost morale. He eventually won in Thessaly and pursued me, pushing me out of Macedon too. Naxos was taken at the same time. I tried to dislodge him a few times (and maybe this was how he kicked me out of Thessaly, again my memory is foggy) but he landed men from his ships and pushed me back to Rumelia.

The situation was growing from mildly annoying to genuine threat. Even with Zanzibar and a lot of battle warscore from winning the initial mountain battles, my warscore vs Spain was nearing -40. Then he could potentially stabhit me for Tripoli and break my connection to Africa. Of course, by this time Suleyman had retaken everything I lost in Africa, but he could easily land 80k and assault it before stabhitting. If he did stabhit me out of the war that would leave Austria alone against both of us, so I didn't think he'd do it, but then again, I didn't exactly have a good track record of predicting TC's behavior this session. Needing some quick warscore I ordered Suleyman on the offensive--something I should have done a long time ago, but I was worried about TC landing behind me and cutting me off. However, Suleyman was getting old now and losing him wouldn't have been a big blow so I went for it. TC either couldn't spare the men or attention so Suleyman managed to win four battles and capture four provinces and was still advancing when the war ended.

My warscore was stabilized, but I really needed to do something about TC's Greek invasion so I decided to adopt some classic World War I tactics. I'd just throw men at impossible to break defenses until attrition broke his armies down. I should have done that a long time ago, I had plenty of recruiting and money, but years of EU2 combat had taught me "DON'T ATTACK INTO MOUNTAINS." After some arguing the general staff decided on Operation Piles of Bodies as a more appropriate name, though Operation Mass Suicide also got a lot of votes. It got some laughs and giddy giggling from TC at first; and his gleeful outburst "You just activated my trap card!" wasn't exactly music to my ears, but in the end it was a success. I was able to reinforce a lot more quickly than he could and even got him to pursue onto the plains of Thrace. He assaulted it and moved to Constantinople, but had lost most of his cavalry and was quickly booted back to his ships. Now his unassailable position in the mountains had been broken and I moved into Thessaly. I won the first battle before his reinforcements arrived from the ships and moved to pursue, unfortunately the reinforcements arrived right as I clicked "pursue" and now my army was simultaneously pursuing 30k Spaniards into Attica and retreating from 40k Spaniards in Thessaly with Allah only knows how many more on those ships. I lost a few more battles but it didn't matter because attrition was really withering his army down and it turns out there weren't any more on those ships.

I'd been angling for a general white peace for a while now. The war was already an order of magnitude more expensive than I'd planned and I had AIs to kill. The war was costly for TC too, but when he was winning in Greece he wasn't really pushing for WP. Now that I'd basically ejected his expeditionary force again, he was ready to talk. Both Delian and HAL wanted to keep fighting; Delian really needs to expand to be anything other than a third-rate power, and HAL is HAL, but cooler heads prevailed and a general white peace was signed. As soon as peace was signed (literally within months) I got 3 new generals, whom would have come in really handy during the war, but such is life.

Total cost to the war (all numbers approximate)
Ottoman Empire - 1.25 million men, 250 galleys, 12000 ducats, +1% inflation
Spain - 1 million men, 200 galleys, 11500 ducats, +5.9% inflation
Austria - 500,000 men, 6000 ducats, +1.8% inflation
Russia - 800,000 men, 8000 ducats, +2.6% inflation

Aftermath

Overall, a colossal waste of time and money. My trade and colonization stagnated, as did my conversions. Tech didn't improve as much as I would've liked since I did a lot of minting. I don't think anyone would argue that HAL's Austria isn't a bloated monstrosity, and I wasn't asking for anything for OE. Honestly, would returning the two provinces HAL took last war, plus one or two more have been too much?

One thing this war has taught me is that the OE isn't as strong as a lot of people seem to think. You might look at the inflation and say that the war was more expensive for Spain more than me, but my inflation was only so low because I have infra 5. 20 years x .25 is -5 inflation, so we minted about the same amount for the session (and presumably the war). Sure the OE's stats numbers are pretty big, but it has a lot of territory to defend and its navy isn't able to compete with its only competitor (Spain)--it's basically a 8,000D, 12D/month ferrying service. I have to keep about 50-80k in Egypt/North Africa, India, West Africa and South Africa, plus another 20k on each of my Mediterranean islands. That totals to about 300k. In addition, stats don't show techcost, and with 162 provinces--most of which are 1-2 tax base and don't provide manpower--it cost me almost 20,000D to go from naval 3 to naval 5, which is about what LT18 costs too.

Near the end of the session, HG decided to get cute and attack Bengal, managing to take Calcutta in a peace deal before my eastern squadron could rebase from South Africa. Since he doesn't have a navy or sizable army refusing to cede it should be no more than an annoyance, but who knows what will happen. Also, Armenia revolted because I left 12k sieging a medium fort for 3 years, not my proudest moment.

Edits:
Ontime/AAR: -2 inflation
Quantity: +1 fire to all generals
+1 military (can this go to my next king? Suleyman dies in 2 years)
Decentralized: +2 generals
+2 maneuver
+1 year income to LT (5279)
+1 core on Congo (1506)
+2 admin (again, can this go to my next king?)
4 generals, 2 admirals please

Last edited:
Spain: 1544-1564

Peace was concluded in-between sessions with France, resulting in the liberation of Modena and its return to its rightful owners. There was much uncertainty on the diplomatic front: what to do with England, whether France would attempt a revanchist fight, what Polstria might do, and so on. Nevertheless, Spain settled into a period of growth and expansion, colonizing some more in Argentina, Colombia, and Texas. Trade also assumed a level of focus it had not possessed before, but it seems every other country had the same thought, and any moment of headway was cut short by the competition of other powers, and so no great impression was made. Spain received no explorers, either, so it was constrained to operate within the areas it had already discovered, though some sadness was felt at the prospect of losing out in the race to China, Australia, or other parts unknown. In any event, there remained plenty of room for expansion in the New World.

A little over 2000 ducats were extracted from the Navajo early in the session. I declared war on them day 1 of the session start, and the money was enough to allow a relatively significant expansion of the galley fleet, replacing the losses from the French war and increasing the fleet size by about 100 or so. Several important tech improvements were made, to naval as well as infrastructure technology.

The big event of the session, of course, was the war between Ottoman Empire/Russia and Polstria. Spain had always had friendly relations with Austria, regardless of the player, and while there might be concerns about its meanness toward Russia, the addition of the sheer bulk of the Ottomans had the appearance of unfairness. Polstria sent an alliance offer and the King of Spain felt little reason to refuse. With basically total control of the Mediterranean, Spain had a strong advantage to exploit, and perhaps might reclaim South Africa or make some other kind of gain in the result.

As luck would have it, the Ottomans remained oblivious to Spain's entrance, allowing my armies to slowly move into position. The initial strategy was to march across North Africa into Egypt, but the plan was stymied from the start by the slowness of the advance, the attrition rates suffered, and the difficulty of coordinating naval reinforcements from Spain's main recruitment areas. Gabes and Tripoli fell, but an attempt to slaughter the main enemy army with a full cavalry force under the Duke of Alba floundered in the fire phases.

Polstria's desperate call for a new, major front against the Ottomans convinced me to otherwise abandon the North Africa campaign. It seemed that the most vulnerable region was western Anatolia. Toward that end, Spain reorganized its main invasion forces and sailed one hundred thousand troops and 900 galleys into the Aegean. Perfunctory Ottoman naval efforts were swatted aside, and the Spanish forces came ashore at Smyrna and Karsai, eventually pushing into the mountains to the east. Again, however, the problem of distance remained, and reinforcements took inordinately long times in arriving in Anatolia. Sheer weight of numbers contained my invasion force, and attrition whittled them down to a point where it was deemed expedient to retreat rather than continue holding on.

Thus, Spain opted for a third front by invading Greece from the west. The advantage of this was that it allowed a direct link, a boat bridge, if you will, between Italy and Greece. The mountains may have been difficult to crack, but it also provided Spain's armies with a powerful defensive advantage at times. Spanish manpower was inexhaustible, so simply battering the way through Ottoman defenses was deemed acceptable. Slowly and steadily, Spain's armies advanced north through Greece until it had reached Thrace. Ottoman armies obliged by repeatedly attacking my defensive mountain positions, which were frequently reinforced by tens of thousands of troops disembarking from the fleet. After a powerful victory in Macedonia, Spain opted to advance into the plains of Thrace and thence onward to the walls of Constantinople, but the sheer mass of Ottoman forces eventually brought to bear forced a break in the siege. This offensive had badly depleted the standing Spanish forces in Greece, allowing the Turks a major push back into the mountains. Rather than reorganize for a renewed offensive, both sides opted to persuade their allies, Polstria and Russia, who I guess were fighting each other (hard to say, since I wasn't really paying attention to anything but the Ottoman war) to white peace. So, a few million men died and no land changed hands. Wait, are you sure the date isn't 11/11? In retrospect, Spain had made several blunders in the war: overextending and continuously seeking a decisive cavalry army, shock-based battlefield victory, allowing the Ottomans access to the bridge between Europe and Anatolia, and the lack of any clear dialogue with the enemy participants about gains/losses, etc.

On-time bonus
-1 deflation
AAR bonus
-2 to all monarch stat
Quantity bonus
-1 random general
-core province 1880 (Tenochtitlan)
-and all that other good stuff
Decentralized bonus
-2 random explorers (if that's not allowed, then generals)
-1 year income land tech
-core province 169 (Cuzco)
-and all that other good stuff

(please make sure to boost my monarch in the correct columns, since the monarch's current boost is set to expire in less than a month)

Please edit Zanzibar (765) to Sweden.

France 1544-1564

It wasn’t my week this session,

France started the session by peacing out Brandenburg and Spain for 3provinces, I figured I would rebuild a bit and focus on expanding in Indonesia but it wasn’t to be,

Outside the Indonesian expansion I also spend some effort to build a shipyard for the ottoman empire in qeshm, allowing them to build a descent amount of ships in asia without having to sail around Africa.

5years after the first war Brandenburg dowed for cologne and since i was stupid enough to keep high WE all the way from the gang to this war I decided to accept right away peace was signed the moment Brandenburg occupied the province.

After this I allowed my we to drop a bit before going further ai bashing in Indonesia, during all this I noticed Brandenburg was going for land tech 18 so I decided to tech for it to, unfortunately I was a bit to late and received another declaration of war from Brandenburg demanding 2more provinces and maps, this time I had no choice but to try and fight Brandenburg, his demands where to much to accept especially considering he included Luxembourg in them

Unfortunately land tech 18 is very hard to fight especially when you face equal numbers and have a shitty king so morale wasn’t in my advantage either, in general my army got trashed fairly fast by john which ended up all the way in Paris, sieging the capitol which is something nobody ever managed to do before this day. In the end I accepted 2provinces and maps for a 20year nap which has been renewed at the end of the session .

Fortunately I did manage to annex most of the ai in Indonesia up to this point granting me control of 2 new cots in the fast east so my trade should be fairly intact either way.

France at the end of the war decided to take option b in the war of religion event so I’m now reformed and will be converting my provinces over the course of this session and hopefully get a cot for the west coast at some point.

The only positive part of this session is that despite my high WE, high RR and low stability I stil managed to get trade 6 and increase my income by 5-7% so one can only wonder how much it will be later when I’m back at 0we and +3stab, on a side note I also lost 2manufacturys one in Friesland and another in central France, though I lost Friesland to Brandenburg anyway so at least the Germans didn’t get it

ontime
-1inflation
aar
+4 admin rating

decentral
+2admin rating
core taruma
+1year in stability​

Last edited:
England: 1544-1564

This was a not the worst but far from the best age for the islanders.

A treaty was signed with Spain allowing our release once the 20 year period of vassallage had been concluded, an act which would be carried around 1550s. This would be coincidental with the arrival of our soon to be best Queen ever, 'Lizzie'. Lizzie, famous for not allowing any contender to her throne 'Tudors kill like barracudas', would soon cut some heads and say she'd never allow again some infamous 'armada' to reach the holy islands.

A naval builds program was fullfilled, so the nation could from now on count with 900 galleys always eager to defend. Also the army was improved both in size and quality.

In Europe, rightful France was bullied for no reason by the same guys who had just bullied us Englishmen. They were forced into horrible territorial giveups due to such. Polstria stabilized in some odd war against the Ottomans and the Russians which we never got to fully understand, but looks like ended in global stalemate with Spanish intervention into it. Guess we at least can be happy those countries left us some record of the events to know what happened there even if after.

In Asia, a new power emerges: Nippon. Is this the beginning of the rise of Asia? We wanted to know, so our explorers reached there. On the way there, we did set up some colonies in rich Australia as to have a hold in the opposite side of the world. Swedes also found it, but happily recognized our right to it. Nice Nordic brothers.

British economy, however, did not rise as much as would be expected from all this advancements. Unwillingness to begina trade war anywhere would be behind this, together withe verybody else coping the richest colonies thanks to our problems with Brandemburg, which did continue in the 1550s and forced a peace signed to avoid another useless conflict in a moment where money was better invested elsewhere.

Without a clear plan, the British adventure goes on.

On-time bonus
+ half year income
AAR bonus
+half a year income

.[/QUOTE]

Chrysalis (1544-1564)

By 1544 manouver warfare in southeastern Africa had ground to a halt. The stalwart Zanj, grimly determined to hold on what they deemed their 'core possession', enlisted every capable man and sent him to the frontlines which - for now - roughly followed the Onotaku river. Swedish expeditionary forces controlled the Cape area north of the Orange River and were regularly challenged by Zanj sorties, smaller detachments trying to trickle into the Swedish lines.

In reaction to this unrewarding state of affairs the Swedish high command decided to broaden the scope of war with the aim of ultimately forcing the Zanj to yield due to strategic loss of their scattered possessions in Africa. In Africa itself simply holding onto the already occupied provinces would suffice and, hence, a defensive formation was set up.
Navalwise, however, there were intense engagements in this theatre of war. Zanj had a surprising amount of naval assets which made life difficult for the Swedish East Africa Squadron. Subsequently, even after heavy fighting the Zanj fleet remained in control of the Zanzibar Straits, prohibiting its investment.

Meanwhile in Timbouktut the most bloodthirsty cutthroats that could be found in the city´s grimy, diseased taverns were enlisted and - after having been instructed in the art of amphibious landings by Sir Reiner Brantsenh - loaded onto the ships of 1st fleet (about 150 galleys commanded by Admiral Palmwedel) which subsequently set sail for Zanzibar (a wealthy Zanj centre of trade due east). The following invasion of Zanzibar would have been an all out unproblematic affair with the smallish Zanj defense forces easily being defeated by the sweaty, hairy gurkhas of Brantsenh´s army who were so enthusiastic about the prospect of profoundly sacking this prosperous metropolis that they assaulted and conquered the city in a mere week.

However, unfortunately for them the Spanish had in the mean time also declared war on Zanj and were able to occupy Zanzibar long before the reinforced squadron could arrive from Westafrica.

Sweden now having about 90% warscore meant that the war, effectively, was won. We commenced sending peace offers at this point, which were at first rejected by Zanj (who´s stability consequently suffered as demoralization and war exhaustion spread throughout the country). In order to expedite matters Rentmann´s Maniacs were again loaded onto the 1st fleet and transported back to the South African Theatre. There, they effectively opened up a second front and launched a two pronged assault on the Zanj forces in the Drakensberg mountains northeast of the Orange river. Having heard rumors of the crazed frenzy of the sack of Zanzibar at the hands of Rentmann´s men the Zanj forces crumbled and fled in panic. Also, at this point it became evident that Zanj had essentially been reduced to anarchy with revolts whacking it everywhere - severly impeding any remaining ability to wage war. Grudgingly and furious, Zanj nonetheless now yielded. Peace was signed and Sweden rejoiced in glory and celebrated Sir Rainer Brantsenh, the lion of Africa.

Ontime: -1% inflation
AAR : -1% inflation

Max decentralized:
+2 random leaders of choise
+1year income in any single tech or stab of choice (Landtech)
+1 core on any province you currently control (Eidsiva)

- 2 Quantity:

+1 shock to leaders generated
+1 forts : Lund
+1 military rating to your current king

Last edited:
Russia 1544-1566

The new tsar arises - crowning of Delian, may our nation soon be great again!

The old russian state was in terrible shape, after a humiliating defeat against the notorious Polstria. rebels had overthrown the tsar, sieged the country, states decided to brake loose, colonisation had stagnated... this couldnt go on any further. Delian, the new tsar, negotiated with the rebel leaders... promising amnesty for the rebels if they put their weapons down, the rebel states of the sunni was put back under our control, in return we would respect their believes...for now.

Russia immediately started to rebuild the army, and soon the army was 300.000 men strong. 200.000 men securing north border, and 100.000 cossacks securing the steppes. The people of nubia helped their overlord, sending many men and grain.

With the army back on track, revanish started to grow in our people... the Sultan, of Ottoman Empire offered himself to help the tsar, regain their rightfully provinces. But we had a truce with Polstria, with the truce beeing over... all we had to do, was to regain manpower, station our troops and march towards glory.

War was declared on the Archduke, armies marching over the border in Lituanian Polstria, sieging forts down, tackleing armies. But then winter came, with much of the experienced elit dead in the following war, the generals made a critical misstake... overstayed their welcome... Winter slaught a lot of brave russians.
One big suprise of this was that the king of Spain decided to help the archduke. but the war went overall well in the start, ottoman besieged Much of hungary, even Crimea... Meanwhile the russian troops had some difficulties fighting north. provinces was taken, but had the return to the motherland now and then to escape the harsh winters. The Polstrian cavalry men also did their fair share of good work, defeating our armies several times, before we got the upperhand.
The war drained our coffers, and taxing started to increase, the russian people gladly helped!
We sieged all the border provinces, and started to march deeper into Lituania. Chasing running armies, but Ottomans had difficulties fighting against Spain, and their supreme navy. And both the sultan and king had taken heavly casulties. And they both spoke for overall white peace, if not accapted, they would do it and leave Polstria and Russia for their own. Perhaps it would be wise to stay and fight, but the Tsar accepted... bearly.

After the war, the tsar looked east, towards the steppes. the siberian people would join our people, the colonies would increase, our emprie would truly become and empire, stretching over two continents. The patriarch is thrilled with the expansion of the orthodox faith, grating several blessings. Third Rome is on the highway to greatness.
for now, our eyes are still faced toward the east, may the steppes join one comon flag! may the new goldmines thicken our coffers, may the grain feed our armies, and may the fur defeat the harsh winters.

AAR bonus - +half a year income to your treasury

Full decentra -
+2 random leaders of choise
+1year income in any single tech or stab of choise ---> Army tech
+1 core on any province you currently control ---> Turkmeni, ID 524

Quantity -
+1 fire to all leaders generated
+1 military rating to your current king

Spain: 1564-1592

Today's session began well enough with the news that Polstria and Russia had come to some kind of accord about provinces. With Russia gaining some provinces and a non-aggression pact signed with France, it seemed fitting that Polstria be compensated with some lands in Hungary, still under Ottoman possession since the dark days of Sultan Pepsi's reign. With Admiral Bazan still in command and a firepower advantage on the seas, it looked as though the war would likely be relatively painless. Brandenburg's decision to declare war on Polstria threatened to overturn these plans, but it seems there was some kind of agreement or plan to sell provinces? It's not entirely clear to Spain what was going on there. In any case, four years were spent teching to land tech 18, the navy was built up to a thousand galleys, and final army preparations were made.

War was declared on the Ottomans in January of 1568, Spain's armies landing along the Adriatic coast while, presumably, Polstria took the fighting in Hungary. Unexpectedly, Russia intervened as well in May, and Polstria apparently suffered a number of setbacks on other fronts. Fortunately, the Ottoman navy was attacked outside Constantinople early in the war and, for all intents and purposes, neutralized for the rest of the war. But the going was slow in Greece and Epirus, and an effort was made to shift the axis of advance from Greece to Hungary, but the war quickly petered out. In 1570, the Ottomans agreed to cede two provinces to Polstria, while Spain waved any of its claims, and even gave up its last South African colony as a demonstration of its true intentions.

The 1569-70, however, proved to be only a prelude to a larger conflict. Spain had a variety of options available to it, and it seemed Polstria might be able to find other allies to help it, in the event the Ottoman Empire sought to reclaim its Hungarian provinces. The emergence of Alessandro Farnese also offered the possibility of a general who could give Spain the sort of decisive battlefield victories it so often sought. In any case, negotiations were underway to renew the non-aggression pact with France; Spain proposed another pact to the Ottomans, who refused on the condition that it last only as long as France's. That, combined with Polstrian queries about a resumed war, settled the matter. The Ottomans had meddled in Franco-Spanish affairs too many times and grown too large to tolerate much longer. Consequently, new armies were prepared and alliance offers bandied about. It was gratifying to see universal disdain for the Ottomans, but a variety of pre-existing diplomatic arrangements prevented a kind of global crusade against the Turk.

In any event, in 1576, Spain once again declared war on the Ottoman Empire, quickly pulling Polstria and Russia into the war on their respective sides. Rather than focus on Greece, however, Spanish armies under Farnese turned to Egypt, where his forces proceeded to bulldoze the scattered defenders. Alexandria and Cairo fell, and before long, Spain had amassed over 60 ws against the Ottomans. Surprisingly, however, it was revealed that Polstria was the alliance leader, thus preventing Spain from issuing anything but separate stab hits. Though tempted to sep peace for Alexandria, the Turk fought on, though it frequently entered King Felipe's mind to sep. peace for the whole of Ottoman North Africa west of Alexandria. What ultimately prevented that was the unexpected appearance of Russian armies in the Sinai. High attrition rates and the distances involved in shipping reinforcements prevented anything more than a see-saw campaign back and forth across the Nile. The Ottoman navy even succeeded in pushing the Spanish fleet from its position on the coast temporarily. It was becoming clear that a continued Egyptian campaign would not be viable for long, a sentiment confirmed by the death of Farnese in battle at Cairo, along with the deaths of all Spain's random leaders. This was not necessarily catastrophic, as Farnese only had a few years of life left anyway. There was a strong temptation to stab hit Spain's way out of the war, grabbing Libya in the process, but Russia's campaigning in the area and the Sultan's decision to demand a variety of provinces from Polstria, in excess of what had been lost in the previous war, was too much to let go.

Consequently, it was decided to shift Spain's focus to the Balkans, where Polstria was crumbling under a combined Franco-Turkic assault. Armies steadily poured into Dalmatia, thence into Hungary, where the Ottomans were steadily driven back. It seemed, however, that Polstria would eventually be forced to peace, until Brandenburg revealed its intention to intervene on the alliance's behalf. Thus in February 1584, Brandenburg struck at France, allowing Polstria to turn his attention back eastward. A month later, Sweden and England attacked the Ottomans.

With most of the world now standing against the Turk, the war rapidly shifted in favor of the alliance. The Turks were thrown from Polstrian territory, and steady gains were made into the Ottoman Balkans. Free from the constraints of mountain provinces and bolstered by Polstrian logistics, and despite having no leaders, Spanish armies were far more effective and deadly in the relatively sparsely fortified regions just beyond the frontier. Too distracted by many other theaters, the Ottomans lost a number of critical battles, most notably at Hum and Serbia, and it seemed only a matter of time before they were driven out of the Balkans altogether. Faced with crumbling allies and an increasingly hopeless military situation, the Ottomans dropped their demands and caved, ceding two Hungarian provinces to Polstria, and Gabes and Tripoli to Spain, while also losing a handful to England and Sweden. Ultimately, the war had dragged on for 11 years. Combined with the previous one, Spain had suffered approximately 1.3 million casualties, as compared to 1.7 million Turks, 1.3 million French, .5 million Russians, and a million Polstrians. Spain not only spent less money, but was fortunate to have remained at 3 stability the entire war.

The wars, fortunately, did not prevent Spain from growing in prosperity. Spain reached infrastructure 5 after long delay, allowing for the mass-promotion of governors, about 80 in total. Thanks to a variety of fortuitous events, Spain spent very little of the second war actually minting, relying on a large treasury to pay for new armies and reinforcements. Spain was also able to pursue some colonization, as well as explore the waters of the Pacific more thoroughly. In any event, with the Turks largely contained to Transylvania and the opposite bank of the Danube, peace with France having endured 11 years of at-war-but-not-really, there is nothing much left for Spain to gain in Europe. Whether or not that means peace depends on Spain's neighbors now.

On-time bonus
-1 deflation
AAR bonus
-1 deflation
Quantity bonus
-1 random general
-core province 1922
-all that other stuff
Decentralized bonus
-1 extra explorer and 1 extra general (and you can't do explorer, then 1 admiral 1 general instead)
-core province Modena (402)
-1 year income land tech
-all that other stuff

(Question: my current monarch will live 6 more years. Any chance I could hold those Quantity/Decentral monarch bonuses until the next guy? Just curious)

Last edited:
Brandenburg 1564-1592

It was to be a relatively quiet session. I was prepared for trouble, but I was also happy to avoid it. A NAP was procured from France at the end of the last war, and a deal was made with Austria for a NAP, and a sale of land: Stuttgart for 2kD and a 10 year NAP. To the North, promises of peace were renewed with the Swedes, and I was free to leisurely explore and trade.

My explorer spawned in 1569, but I didn't want to wait that long to send out an expedition, as I hoped to take over a base somewhere right away, and then make my way toward China with recruitments from there. My old 200 galley fleet prepared for its long mission, with 70k aboard, and made its way around the Cape of Good Hope, and then up and finally toward India, where I decided to make a base out of two of the little colonies there still unconquered by the OE. The war against technologically backward AI went easily enough, and after assaulting most of their provs, they gave me my desired provs plus military access.

My explorer spawned around this time, and made his way up to India, from where he began to make ever bolder voyages to the East, toward a fabled new continent, beyond the French zone of Indonesia. It was to be a number of years before he finally located this land, but when he did, I was very happy to begin colonizing one of the westernmost provs of Australia.

I thought I had the distinction of being the only one there at this time, but as I expanded the explorations further East, and then claimed a colony on that side of Australia, I was to find that my old colonial rival, perfidious Albion, had already begun to spread its talons over this land. Within a few years after we came face to face with one another here, he began fanning out his colonists, planting his flag over all the coastal provs with lvl 1 colonies and TPs, to claim everything and leave me with nothing.

But that was only a minor part of what happened in the session. The more interesting thing happened in central Europe, where Austria faced war from the OE. After a minor victory early in the session, another war began, and the OE was pressing Austria hard. France also joined the war against Austria, and it looked like they would suffer a defeat, in spite of Spain's successes in Egypt.

I decided that it would be the right thing to enter the war in support of the Hapsburgs, and in defense of Christendom. The OE, already vastly towering over Austria, did not at all need to become even more powerful at their expense, and since I figured I couldn't depend on Spain to always shore up this bulwark against the infidel, I decided to throw my lot behind my German brothers, to win a victory that would help them consolidate their position.

For simplicity's sake, I rushed my armies to the West, and focused on pushing out the French so that Austria and Spain could put all their strength into throwing back the Ottomans. Soon after this, the Swedes and the English entered the holy crusade, showing the world that the protestants were as passionate in their zeal as the catholics.

Our combined might overwhelmed the Turks, and soon had them craving peace. Terms were listed, and all parties laid claim to something or other except Brandenburg. I might have asked for a piece in India, but I think the result was quite satisfactory, as my prime motive for entering was not to gain something for myself but to save Austria.

At the end of the session, Brandenburg looks secure. It's roughly at the same strength as Austria or France, and is reasonably fortified. What dangers may be lurking in the 17th century, I do not know, but Eu2 Gods willing, Brandenburg will overcome them.

Ontime: Half year income to treasury
AAR: Half year income to treasury
Full decentral:
+2 random leaders of choise(2 generals)
+1year income in any single tech or stab of choise(Trade)
+1 core on any province you currently control(372 stuttgart)

A History of the Ottoman Empire: 1564-1592
Reign of Sultan Selîm II Khan,
Emperor,
Sovereign of the House of Osman,
Sultan of Sultans,
Khan of Khans,
Commander of the Faithful and Successor (Caliph) of the Prophet of the Lord of the Universe,
Custodian of the Holy Sanctuaries (the Holy Cities of Mecca, Medina and Jerusalem),
Lord of all Africa,
Emperor of Rome,
Emperor of The Three Cities of Constantinople, Adrianople and Bursa, and of the Cities of Damascus and Cairo, of all Azerbaijan, of the Magreb, of Barka, of Kairouan, of Aleppo, of the Arabic and the Persian Iraq, of Basra, of Al-Hasa strip, of Ar Raqqah, of Mosul, of Diyarbakır, of Cilicia, of Ahmadabad, of Bombay and the Deccan of India, of the provinces of Erzurum, of Sivas, of Adana, of Karaman, Van, of Abyssinia, of Tripoli, of Damascus, of Cyprus, of Crete, of the province of Morea, of the Mediterranean Sea, the Black Sea and also their coasts, of Anatolia, Rumelia, Baghdad, Kurdistan, Greece, Turkistan, Tartary, of the two regions of Kabarda, of the Steppe of Kypchaks, of the whole country of the Tatars, of the City and Fort of Belgrade, of the province of Serbia, with all the castles and cities, of all Albania, of all Eflak and Bogdania, as well as all the dependencies and borders, and many other countries and cities, of Benin and Songhai, of the Vaal and Transvaal, of the oases of the Sahara and protector of the faithful.

IX-1592a.jpg
Europe 1592

Chapter 1: War, War Never Changes

I expected war from Spain and Austria this session. Unfortunately, Russia, who had received so much help from the Empire had signed a nap with Austria for 20 years, which left me exposed. Russia was willing to help cover my Asian provinces if Spain invaded though. France was also in a bad spot to help because he had converted to Reformed and years of warfare against pagans in Asia left him at -3 stability. When war was declared in 1568 Spain surprised me by ignoring Africa and Anatolia and landing in the Balkans where Russia was unable to help. I was pushed back slowly but steadily and they were getting close to stabhitting warscore. Drake still couldn't intervene so I decided not to sink a ton of money defending 2vs1 with naval inferiority and agreed to peace after three years of war, giving up Buda and Hum.

Spain offered me a NAP after the war, but I told him he'd have to include France since TC has just been alternating between ganging me and ganging Drake. When he refused I knew war was coming again, but this time my allies would be ready. I was a little surprised to learn that Drake had extended his NAP with TC, but it let him focus on Austria so I wasn't too concerned. TC opened the war by landing in Africa and sweeping aside my forces there. I was still worried about Bazan and behind in ships so I didn't contest him much on the seas. Fortunately, Russia was quite capable of defending the territory. Although TC got stabhitting warscore in the initial blitz, Austria was already getting kicked around so he would have had to separate peace and leave Austria to face me and drake alone. He actually sent one offer and I threatened to dismantle Austria if he kept sending them. I didn't have any desire or intention to pick on HAL, but I wasn't going to refuse a bunch of stabhits from TC and then let HAL off easy. My bloviating had the desired effect though, and TC didn't send anymore stabhits.

HAL was getting pushed back in Hungary and Drake was making progress in southern Germany so alliance warscore was pretty good even with Spain occupying North Africa and Egypt. Russia and Spain were pingponging back and forth across the Nile, with each gaining a temporary advantage when their reinforcements arrived, only to lose it again when the other's reinforcements showed up. Eventually I built my navy up to a respectable size and after a few losses managed to beat Bazan and push him all the way back to Italy. Russia also got Yermak, a 6-6-6 (ish?) conquistador and managed to kill Farnesse and a lot of TC's random generals.

At this point the war was going really well. I'd sunk enough ships that I could reasonably expect naval supremacy and Russia had Yermak patrolling North Africa if TC decided to try anything. France and I even linked up in southern Germany temporarily and I was (slowly) assaulting my way through the Crimea and Lithuania, although about half of my assaults on minimal forts failed with 50k and a 5-4-5 leader. Warscore was high enough that I could comfortably stabhit for six or seven provinces (mostly because of French gains in Germany, I only ever captured four provinces in Hungary at one time). I was only stabhitting for five provinces and demanding three (the two I lost plus Ukraine to Russia). I should have been content with a white peace, but we were winning so heavily that I thought we should get some compensation. Remember, I was only asking for the status quo before the session started plus one province for Russia, though we were actually getting close to +99 warscore.

However, everyone sees HAL as the victim, even when he's the aggressor, so Brandenburg decided to help him out. England and Sweden also decided to join in on the fun so I was now fighting five countries and Russia had been effectively out of the war since Spain abandoned his African campaign. We were at +91 warscore when John joined the war, but that quickly evaporated. John's fresh army was able to push Drake out of most of his gains and TC was now landing all his army in Hungary.

Delian started fighting actively along the Austro-Russian border since his NAP had expired, but it wasn't enough. Ampo was making easy progress in West Africa because I forgot to cancel MA, and even landed men to assault Goa. John took Gujarat and England invaded South Africa. I wasn't really able to focus on all these fronts (Hungary, Crimea, West Africa, South Africa and India) so I gave up a catastrophic amount of warscore really quickly. My Indian fleet eventually kicked the Swedish and Brandenburger fleets out, but by the time I could ferry men from Iraq I'd been eating stabhits and had rebels everywhere. I agreed to peace giving up two provinces to Austria, two to Spain (including Tripoli which cut my land connection to Africa), one COT to England and three more to Sweden. Between the two wars I lost 10 provinces this session. Hopefully people will stop talking about how uber the OE is, now that I've lost most of Hungary and lost every war I've actually fought since moving to the OE.

Edits:
Qara Koyunlu annexed and 450D removed from OE's treasury (5 state gifts).
Russia to OE: Dongola (1722), Kordofan (1723), Nubia (750), Aswan (748), Asyut (1727), Mero (1721), Qusayr (749) (Delian please confirm)
Austrian and French land sliders back to 5 ;)
One time quality reset to 5
+2 inflation for Trade + gold income (if we're using the 1575 save, +1 if we're using the 1594 one)
Ontime: -1 inflation
AAR: +1 quality (so I finish with 6)
+1 fire
+1 military (next king please, Meh.med III spawns in 1 year)
+2 maneuver
+1 year income to infra (5330)
+1 core on Kanem (1695)
+2 admin for current king
2 extra generals for 4 Luxuries (3 for me, 1 in Baghdad which would have been annexed before the session ended)
2 extra generals for decentral = 3 generals, 3 conquistadors, 2 admirals

Luxury Manu stab bonuses:
OE: 3360
Spain: 840
France: 840
Russia: 1680
Sweden: 840
England: 840
BB: 1680
Austria: 1680
Nippon: 2520

Last edited: