• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mithradates

Second Lieutenant
16 Badges
Sep 17, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Hearts of Iron III
This whole thing with "culling courtiers" gets really out of hand sometimes. I'm referring to the way the game gives a health penalty to courtiers that aren't related to anyone or have no immediate role to play, lowborns and bastards and the like. Lots of times I'll bring a lowborn person to my court for some purpose, and they'll die within days of "poor health" even if they were like 16 years old. Like if I bring a lowborn woman to my court to offer to a vassal as a concubine (as I do when I really want my vassals to have kids for some reason), and the woman will die of "poor health" so fast that the vassal doesn't even have time to respond to the request.

That's one thing, but I just had something even more annoying happen, and it isn't the first time. I used the "invite noble to court" decision to create a new character so I could give him a title, as I do when I don't want to use someone who already has relatives in other places that might inherit the title and take it out of my realm if the guy dies five minutes later. So I created this new character, then I set about finding him a wife (I didn't have enough money left for "present debutante", so I had to find a preexisting lowborn woman somewhere, someone without troublesome relatives). Within seconds he was dead of "poor health". I spent like 70 gold (most of my treasury) creating this guy, and inside of a minute he was dead, before I could even give him his title. This is extremely annoying when this happens, and it has happened before. This is not reasonable.

If nothing else, I would very much like for the "courtier culling" to be made so it doesn't apply to characters you deliberately create via "invite noble to court", "invite holy man", or "present debutante". If I specifically create a new character, that means I want them alive for some purpose, certainly for more than 12 seconds, especially if I spent a significant amount of gold on them.

Wow, how many courtiers do you have? I thought court culling happened only to AI, while player courtiers just suffered from lowered fertility.
Do you have useless courtiers? Could you make your court smaller?

I typically have between 30 and 50 courtiers, usually closer to 30. Since I rarely marry them to each other, they don't tend to reproduce much. It doesn't seem like a very large court to me. But it's hard to see how it could be much smaller, because there's my wife and concubines, my kids, some aunts and uncles and nieces and nephews, some military commanders I invite from foreign courts and which sometimes bring families with them, children of my vassals whom I keep in my court to help ensure good behavior, a court physician, sometimes a non-vassal councilor or two, prisoners in my dungeon, and so on. It's hard to see how such a court could have less than 30 people. And no, court culling most definitely affects player courts. It's bugged me for a long time.

What rank are you if 70g is your entire reserve your probably a duke a court size of 10-13 is good as a duke 35 and up is what I would expect to see in an empires court

I don't even need assassinations. Promising prince in another court? An impressive general for my armies? Someone who would make a great court physician? Bribe them to like me, buy them a favour, invite them to court. Dead, dead, dead.

From defines.lua:
"PRUNE_MINIMAL_AGE = 40, -- Minimum age for a courtier to be prunable if considered irrelevant"
If this is correct, it implies that courtiers under 40 won't be pruned by the game, so if someone dies at 16, it's probably just a natural death.

It also happens to event characters as of the latest patch apparently, for example the Hunter companions created by the white-stag chain in the hunting focus. I constantly got reminded of my useless, dead retainer when recently going for that for some decades.

Dying without a trace upon succession is one thing. But poor health seems to be surprisingly common for unlanded courtiers.

Are we looking at different tools for similar tasks? Increased chance of poor health for certain characters in certain circumstances?

Do a search of your court. Find any who aint a ruler and who aint married and who is adult.

Then marry them to anyone - so they leave your court - for males let the offspring be of her dynasty to make sure he leaves the court.

Thus purge you court yourself. Just keep the ones you want to stay. Marry those you want to stay to those 40+ women you can't marry off so they do not come up into the next search.

I would prefer it if the courtier limit was buffed up. If you're a king or emperor its easy to cross 30 with all the claimants, event characters (goldsmith+wife, hunter, immortality witch, etc), councillors, councillors kids who are being educated by them. It goes even higher if you are a polygamous/concubine religion cause you have multiple wives and so do your sons. Maybe the limit worked in the earlier versions of the game but as of now its kinda low. Plus, with all the recent optimisations to the game it seems ok to bump it up to 40. Or scale it with rank - counts have 25, dukes have 30, kings have 35, emperors have 40. Idk if thats possible though.

Concubines which are generated during event when you have the seduction focus also seem to die of poor health very fast, even if they are pregnant with your bastard.