• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I was wondering, how tough are Mongols really? I saw the Golden Horde gain quite a few territories in Russia, but after a while, their march stagnated and now they're just kind of milling about over there. The Ilkhanate appeared a few times, but they were immediately swatted by the Muslim rulers around Turkmenistan.

I can see how the Golden Horde might be annoying if I were one of the Russian states, but they don't seem to really threaten Europe. Or maybe I just got lucky?

Try 1337 scenario (where Hordes aren't spawned but both of them start with owning about 5 or so provinces on the map) and you'll see...

Build a courthouse in the province with the thieves' guild. This also works for the rest of the income-reducing family, like highway robbers. Building a courthouse won't get rid of it immediately, and sometimes the thieves' guild goes away on its own, but a courthouse increases the chance of it being disbanded greatly.

That, and another crucial requirement (necessary condition): keep a regiment of particular province (having a guild) not mobilized.

Build a courthouse in the province with the thieves' guild. This also works for the rest of the income-reducing family, like highway robbers. Building a courthouse won't get rid of it immediately, and sometimes the thieves' guild goes away on its own, but a courthouse increases the chance of it being disbanded greatly.

The courthouse also keeps them from spawning (not 100%, but you will rarely see them after one is built) ... and thus is one of the first buildings to build in any province :)

The courthouse also keeps them from spawning (not 100%, but you will rarely see them after one is built) ... and thus is one of the first buildings to build in any province :)

A built courthouse should make appearance of thieves' guild in the same province 5 times less probable.

Hi, here is another newbie question:
let's describe the situation first:
I am king of Bohemia and conquered Prussia and other Baltic lands from the pagans. Later, when I had a king with low intrigue, many of my prussian vassals became vassals of Poland. One of them (count of Chelminskie) is a direct successor of my first king and has claims on kingdom of Bohemia.
Then with my new king, (Intrigue 13, Stewardship 12 and Diplomacy 8), I declared war on count of Chelminskie (vasal of duke of Prussia, vasal of Poland) and conquered all their land and forced the king of Poland to yield some of his claims on my territory.

Now, after the peace, my vasals loyalty started decreesing. I don't have any bad traits like heretic or kinslayer, I have high intrigue, but the loyalty keeps decreasing. I tried everything to stop it, I divided all of the conquered lands among my vasals, as a crusader I declared war on some Italian muslims, I decreased scutage and crown duty, but nothing seems to work.

Is this a bad boy thing?

Hover your mouse over the loyalty-rating of your vassals, you then get a tooltip telling you what is causing the decrease in loyalty.

Hover your mouse over the loyalty-rating of your vassals, you then get a tooltip telling you what is causing the decrease in loyalty.

thanks!
it was bad reputation :)

I have a couple questions, none of them really worthy of their own thread:

1) I've played the traditional "good" countries to play as -- Apulia, Denmark, Barcelona, Sweden, etc. -- where you start off with at least a couple of vassals under you and there are plenty of religious enemies around to conquer. But I find that, assuming things go well, it's relatively easy to follow the same formula: make money, develop provinces, invade an enemy province, wait for the BB to go away, rinse and repeat. The more you expand, the easier it becomes to knock off the enemies around you.

Since CK is kind of a sandbox game I'm looking to try something different... But I'd like some ideas and tips about playing a different game that is not expansion driven or about making your own empire. What alternatives are there? I've thought about a loyalist game where I stay loyal to the liege and his successors and try and keep the ruling family in power for as long as possible, which can be frustrating when the AI is idiotic. My biggest problem with this is when my liege starts a war early on, does a grand mobilization and drains my coffers while also wasting my troops in a futile war... Any suggestions?

2) Been thinking about a Byzantine game along the lines of above, but basically keep running into the problem I just mentioned. Duchy of Karuvna seems like a good choice because it's far from the Turks and I could potentially create a Greek Bulgarian kingdom if the Empire dies despite my best efforts.

3) Also looking for suggestions on a good Rus country. I tried playing as the Count of Pskov and serving the Prince of Novgorod faithfully but gave up when Chernigov, Polotsk and all the other countries starting taking the prime pagan real estate! Meanwhile my prince suffered realm duress because one vassal broke away, making my "loyalist" character rebellious... So I started my own Novgorod game and it's been going all right except that I inherited the Principality of Kiev because every lord in Russia is a Rurikovich... I think it's kind of a recipe for disaster to be able to inherit lands that are so far away because it makes micromanagement a pain...

Anyway my goal is to build up a small empire (not a huge blob) and resist the Mongol Horde. So it's not so much an expansion-driven game as a protect-Western-civilization game. :p

I sometimes chose a random county (roll some dice at the start screen) and see what happen. Most times it's boring and/or frustrating, but once in a while may be very interesting.

I had a nice Rus game as a Peryaslavl, if I remember correctly. But I am not sure if it qualifies, because a unified Rus is quite big in itself and suicidal pagans asked to be annexed. Still I managed not to expand into Europe much and comparing to some other games the empire was not too blobbing.

OTOH if you inherited another principality which you don't want and not a king of anything just give it away to someone who is not your immediate heir.

1) I've played the traditional "good" countries to play as -- Apulia, Denmark, Barcelona, Sweden, etc. -- where you start off with at least a couple of vassals under you and there are plenty of religious enemies around to conquer. But I find that, assuming things go well, it's relatively easy to follow the same formula: make money, develop provinces, invade an enemy province, wait for the BB to go away, rinse and repeat. The more you expand, the easier it becomes to knock off the enemies around you.

Since CK is kind of a sandbox game I'm looking to try something different... But I'd like some ideas and tips about playing a different game that is not expansion driven or about making your own empire. What alternatives are there? I've thought about a loyalist game where I stay loyal to the liege and his successors and try and keep the ruling family in power for as long as possible, which can be frustrating when the AI is idiotic. My biggest problem with this is when my liege starts a war early on, does a grand mobilization and drains my coffers while also wasting my troops in a futile war... Any suggestions?

If you give your liege control over your armies then set army-maintenance to zero, your liege will then pay for their upkeep.

I have a question about the Byzantine-Seljuk war at the beginning of the game. Although the Seljuk armies rarely enter Anatolia, after a few years several Byzantine dukes surrender their lands and titles to the Seljuk sultan, although they haven't been conquered. This happoens all the time and regardless of the way the war goes. I even saw this happening even when the Byzantines defeated the Seljuks in war.
Why does this happen? Is this a hardcoded event to ensure the formation of Turkish states in Anatolia?

I have a couple questions, none of them really worthy of their own thread:

1) different games
- play minority cultures and spread them. Vendish, basque, ossetian come to mind. In some cases you need to take care and 'breed' a right culture ruler. (there are no basques at start for example)
- conquer some extreme places, give it to a duke you like, then load up as him and declare independence. I mean places like a sane catholic would not go, like Nubia, Lower volga (Itil), Baghdad...
- don't use the best law setups (feudal contract + salic consanguity) but stay with royal preorgatory
- start as historical losers and change their fate (saxons dukes of Willie the conq, Norway vs. England)
- form a strong, historical country, then abandon and form an other one. (like create historical portugal, then save, load up as count of Varna and form Bulgaria)

2)
loyalist: definietly possible until your liege decides to attack you, which sometimes happen. when your regiments are borrowed, put maintenance to 0, and your liege will pay for the upkeep!

3)
Good russians?
Kiev is quite rich, but has strong enemies nearby (Hungary, Poland, cumans) who want that wealth. Actually the Kiev-Chernigov region is probably the most interesting in the game.
I also enjoyed Moscow, since their CoA is übercool, plus in the first scenario, they are NOT ruled by a Rurikovich, which is a plus!

Also, some rus princes in the 1377 scenario are vassals of pagans! Kiev is vassal of Lithuania, Yaroslav is vassal of golden horde! Those are really interesting and challenging games!

In general, be sure to check out the 1377 scenario! There are countries there which are not challenging in 1066, but in 1377, they will make you sweat. (not just russian vassal of the horde, but Denmark or Byzantium too!)

I have a question about the Byzantine-Seljuk war at the beginning of the game. Although the Seljuk armies rarely enter Anatolia, after a few years several Byzantine dukes surrender their lands and titles to the Seljuk sultan, although they haven't been conquered. This happoens all the time and regardless of the way the war goes. I even saw this happening even when the Byzantines defeated the Seljuks in war.
Why does this happen? Is this a hardcoded event to ensure the formation of Turkish states in Anatolia?

This is a thing that has been introduced in DV, where a weak AI-ruler sometimes gives up his titles even though his lands haven't been conquered yet. AFAIK it is not something typical for just the Byzantines, it can happen all over the map.

Why this happens ? Nobody knows.

This is a thing that has been introduced in DV, where a weak AI-ruler sometimes gives up his titles even though his lands haven't been conquered yet. AFAIK it is not something typical for just the Byzantines, it can happen all over the map.

Yes, not only Byzantines. I've got several cases of muslim rulers surrendering to me before siege ends. Maybe some traits come into play like coward or weak-willed. Culd be cool if so, but all that's pure speculation.

Thanks!

I assumed it was something hardcoded because in my experience I have never seen this sort of surrenders anywhere else, except for the Byzantine Empire during the first war with the Seljuks. 95%of the time, the first province to be ceded to the Seljuks is Ikonion and the second is Prusa. It's ridiculous, since the owner of Ikonion is the next in line for the Empire's throne. That' why I suspected it's a hardcoded thing to make Byzantine Anatolia fall apart artificially, regardless of the war's outcome.
Is there a known way to cancel these (in my opinion) unrealistic surrenders?

Thanks!

I assumed it was something hardcoded because in my experience I have never seen this sort of surrenders anywhere else, except for the Byzantine Empire during the first war with the Seljuks. 95%of the time, the first province to be ceded to the Seljuks is Ikonion and the second is Prusa. It's ridiculous, since the owner of Ikonion is the next in line for the Empire's throne. That' why I suspected it's a hardcoded thing to make Byzantine Anatolia fall apart artificially, regardless of the war's outcome.
Is there a known way to cancel these (in my opinion) unrealistic surrenders?

No, not that I know.

Does anybody remember how to take a 'world screenshot'?
Not just the area visible, but the whole map?