• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've got another one - how do higher tier titles work? For example, I want to declare war to King of Siciliy and take his Italian holdings (he also owns a big part of arabia). If I take only his king title, I get all his vassals as mine - but as I don't want Arabia I dont want that. So I could take all his Italian holdings manually and leave his title alone along with his arabian vassals. Then he would be King of Sicily without any provinces there. Would he then loose that title, is that what usurping is or? If I usurp his title will I get the title or just claim?

I know I can just test that myself, but it would spare me some time if someone would be nice and answer this. :)

Last edited:
I've got another one - how do higher tier titles work? For example, I want to declare war to King of Siciliy and take his Italian holdings (he also owns a big part of arabia). If I take only his king title, I get all his vassals as mine - but as I don't want Arabia I dont want that. So I could take all his Italian holdings manually and leave his title alone along with his arabian vassals. Then he would be King of Sicily without any provinces there. Would he then loose that title, is that what usurping is or? If I usurp his title will I get the title or just claim?

I know I can just test that myself, but it would spare me some time if someone would be nice and answer this. :)

If you take all his italian provinces, but not his king title, he will still hold that, and just sit in his arabian provinces as the king of Sicily. You could just grab his king title and all the italian ones, and let him keep all the arabian ones. In the peace talks, you can let him keep whatever titles you don't want (on which you have claims).

I tried that, but than all his vassals in Arabia also swore his allegiance to me.

So? ... leave them be ... eventually they will declare independence from you, or they'll get overrun by the muslims.

1) That is strange since these events should fire for all the children who are born in the game. No idea, why in your case it didn't fire. Did you have children of your own and in your court?

Yes I did - in two cases they were my children. I'm still getting all the other events AFAIK (such as the what type of education one), but not the how do I want to raise them question.

Edit: Maybe it was just a one time bug. The event is now firing properly :/

Last edited:
You're silly.

If vassals mess up your pretty borders you conquer enough of Arabia to make new pretty borders.

Nick

Or conquer enough to take the king title of the area they are in, and then set that kingdom free :D

Or conquer enough to take the king title of the area they are in, and then set that kingdom free :D

That is always fun. I once owned all of the British Isles and I randomly decided to release all the King titles onto my sons, and see how it all unfolded, playing as an unrelated nation, it was quite crazy.

After a two hundred years or so, this unfolded:
- Scottish King and Manx King warred for territory, with Scotland eventually conquering Mann and the Isles.
- Wales joined a Crusade and ended up getting conquered and replaced by a Sultan.
- Irish King ended up losing his Kingdom to some one of a different dynasty, was cursed with no sons.
- English King reclaimed Wales from the Sultan, and fought with Scotland, taking some of the Lowlands from them.
- Some one from my dynasty became Emperor of Byzantium.
- Emperor's son married the daughter of the splintered Kingdom of France.
- King of France died, now the son of the Byzantium Empire is the King of France.
- Emperor of Byzantium Empire died, becoming both King of France and Emperor.
- Loses the few french provinces he had left, so he is King of France but owns no French land.
- Orthodox Kingdom of Egypt (with Crusader Flag) comes into existence after a very successful crusade of Alexandria, the King of Egypt is some one from my dynasty.

I can't really remember all the details and some of the other things, but it looked like my Family was the Crusader King version of the Habsburgs, it seems.

That is always fun. I once owned all of the British Isles and I randomly decided to release all the King titles onto my sons, and see how it all unfolded, playing as an unrelated nation, it was quite crazy.

After a two hundred years or so, this unfolded:
- Scottish King and Manx King warred for territory, with Scotland eventually conquering Mann and the Isles.
- Wales joined a Crusade and ended up getting conquered and replaced by a Sultan.
- Irish King ended up losing his Kingdom to some one of a different dynasty, was cursed with no sons.
- English King reclaimed Wales from the Sultan, and fought with Scotland, taking some of the Lowlands from them.
- Some one from my dynasty became Emperor of Byzantium.
- Emperor's son married the daughter of the splintered Kingdom of France.
- King of France died, now the son of the Byzantium Empire is the King of France.
- Emperor of Byzantium Empire died, becoming both King of France and Emperor.
- Loses the few french provinces he had left, so he is King of France but owns no French land.
- Orthodox Kingdom of Egypt (with Crusader Flag) comes into existence after a very successful crusade of Alexandria, the King of Egypt is some one from my dynasty.

I can't really remember all the details and some of the other things, but it looked like my Family was the Crusader King version of the Habsburgs, it seems.

I did the same in one of my games as Duke of Barcelona. I conquered all of Iberia (and Morrocco, which I gave to a jewish courtier for fun), which I then split into the 6 kingdoms of: Navarra, Aragon, Castille, Leon, Portugal, Andalusia (I forget if there is one more in the More Kingdoms mod). But I never continued the game as a seperate ruler. But the save game is ready for a future date :D

I have another question regarding my Sicilian invasion. I invaded Sicilian lands with 7 armies, with martial scores of generals 23, 14, 9, 10, 13, 17, 17. Each of those armies had from 6000 to 23000 men, and they were usually by large margin bigger than Sicilian armies. But they meet their less numerous and poorly led opponents all but army led by 13 martial leader looses almost momentarily. After slowing the game down I saw that they loose almost all morale (they had it full at the start) at the beginning of advance phase. I don't see any reason why this would happen. Even my elite army from Constantinople (I checked tech and it's by large margin better than anything outside Roman Empire, no to mention Sicilians), with 23000 men led by my emperor with 23 martial looses instantly to some 3000 men army led by 9 martial leader. I also checked save game to see if anything is weird there, but I found nothing suspicious there (they don't have winter equipment or siege train marked but neither do other armies). The battles were fought in southern Italy, Sicily and Arabia, starting in June.

P.S. I assume siege train marks the besiegin army, but what does winter equipment do?

I have another question regarding my Sicilian invasion. I invaded Sicilian lands with 7 armies, with martial scores of generals 23, 14, 9, 10, 13, 17, 17. Each of those armies had from 6000 to 23000 men, and they were usually by large margin bigger than Sicilian armies. But they meet their less numerous and poorly led opponents all but army led by 13 martial leader looses almost momentarily. After slowing the game down I saw that they loose almost all morale (they had it full at the start) at the beginning of advance phase. I don't see any reason why this would happen. Even my elite army from Constantinople (I checked tech and it's by large margin better than anything outside Roman Empire, no to mention Sicilians), with 23000 men led by my emperor with 23 martial looses instantly to some 3000 men army led by 9 martial leader. I also checked save game to see if anything is weird there, but I found nothing suspicious there (they don't have winter equipment or siege train marked but neither do other armies). The battles were fought in southern Italy, Sicily and Arabia, starting in June.

P.S. I assume siege train marks the besiegin army, but what does winter equipment do?

It sounds like you saved and reloaded the game while your armies where mobilized, this will set the morale of your army to zero (though to you it might look as they have 100% morale). Never save and reload when your armies are mobilized and are about to engage in battle.

Siegetrains and winter-equipment are things that never made it into the game, they are leftovers from the developmentphase.

Sorry if I'm annoying, but could you give me some estimate how long would it take for morale to replenish?

Asking questions nevers makes one annoying.

I am not sure but I think it is 10% per month (I never tested it though)

P.S. Does that bug empty morale when reloading, because in save game morale was full (1.0)?

Yes it happens when you reload.

First all, just want to say I wish I gave this game a chance a couple years ago. Enjoying it big time.

Noob question, played about 100 years into the Kingdom Of Scotland. Held all of Scotland and Ireland. Then my king dies and his bro takes over. Nearly all my vassals turn on me and civil war ensues quickly. Is this common to see?

I was wondering, how tough are Mongols really? I saw the Golden Horde gain quite a few territories in Russia, but after a while, their march stagnated and now they're just kind of milling about over there. The Ilkhanate appeared a few times, but they were immediately swatted by the Muslim rulers around Turkmenistan.

I can see how the Golden Horde might be annoying if I were one of the Russian states, but they don't seem to really threaten Europe. Or maybe I just got lucky?

First all, just want to say I wish I gave this game a chance a couple years ago. Enjoying it big time.

Noob question, played about 100 years into the Kingdom Of Scotland. Held all of Scotland and Ireland. Then my king dies and his bro takes over. Nearly all my vassals turn on me and civil war ensues quickly. Is this common to see?

Yes and no, it depends on who the heir is (his stats, his reputation, his prestige, his traits and so on). If these things are worse then his predecessor then you might indeed get into trouble.

Also whenever a ruler dies, all vassals lose 50% loyalty. So whenever that happens, pause the game and check your vassals and their loyalty and if needed sent them bribes to give them a loyalty-bonus.

Also check your reputation and the montly-loyalty gain (or loss) of your vassals.

Matthijs said:
I was wondering, how tough are Mongols really? I saw the Golden Horde gain quite a few territories in Russia, but after a while, their march stagnated and now they're just kind of milling about over there. The Ilkhanate appeared a few times, but they were immediately swatted by the Muslim rulers around Turkmenistan.

I can see how the Golden Horde might be annoying if I were one of the Russian states, but they don't seem to really threaten Europe. Or maybe I just got lucky?

The effect of the Mongols differs, some people sometimes see them act like you do while other have seen them overrun almost all of Europe. It depends on who they are up against I guess.

There's probably some big-ass country hemming them in. In my last game as King of Cumans, Khazaria, etc. they took a County and just kinda stood there for decades because they knew that if they messed with me they'd die. Eventually they disbanded most of their regiments and I finished them off for the heck of it.

In games where there isn't a big-ass state they can become unstoppable.

Nick