• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Papal Stated 1399 - 1406

HolySee.png

*RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING*
…..
*RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING*

Pope: Yes I'm coming out bed already! I'm picking the phone up already. What do you want this time?

Heavy Voice: I have a mission for you!

Pope: Again? I'm not some kind of...

Heavy Voice: SILENCE!

Pope: Yes... but... what...

Heavy Voice: I shall tell you what you must do. Ferrara has been out of our influence for too long. You have to reclaim it. I can do it myself ofcourse. Did I already told you what I did to the....

Pope: They're not the kind of stories you can tell.

Heavy Voice: Too dirty?

Pope: A dirty mind is a joy forever, but it would not be appropriate here.

Heavy Voice: You might be right. But remember claim Ferrara.

1reclaimferrara.png

Random other Servant: Your Holiness!

Pope: Yes?

Random other Servant (but still the same one): Milan they...

Pope: Which day is it today actually?

Random other Servant (but still the same one): It's 31 October in the year 1399 your Holiness.

Pope: Ah good to know. So what were you telling again?

Random other Servant (but still the same one): Milan, they declared war. War on Sardinia.

Pope: Oh there was something with Milan wasn't it?

Random other Servant (but still the same one): Yes your Holiness. We warned them remember?

Pope: Oh right! What are you waiting for. Get my gear. I myself will command the holy army!

Random other Servant (but still the same one): As you command my Holiness.
Pope: YOUR Holiness.

Random other Servant (but still the same one): Oh no that would be you, your Holiness, not me.

2allaincesardinia.png

Another Servant: Good news your Holiness. We are way more superiour then our allies.

Pope: Of course we are. We are the papal states.

Another Servant (but also still the same): How will we do this?

Pope: Well we have been raising a cavalry regiment and hiring some others haven't we? We will use them to siege Pisa and Siena.

*Interrupt*
Another Servant (but also still the same): And then?

Pope: Well if you didn't interrupt me I could have finished. Then after they are sieged, since they are the only provinces I want for now, we just raise more regiments and will invade Milan. We have military access after all through Ferrara. *Laughs Evilly*

531oct1399leadershipwar.png

Pope: Hmmmm this sieging is boring. Someone come up with an idea.

Just someone: Well depends on you, you Holiness. Do you want to be entertained or do you want to be just evil?

Pope: Just evil will be fine.

Just someone: Well you have some diplomats left. And it happened that our Roman brothers of Constantinople can use some help if the Ottomans are going to do nasty....

Pope: Soooo?

Just Someone: Well you can call for a crusade!

Pope: Brilliant. Let our nearby Christian Brothers take up arms to defeat the Ottomans while we expand our holy glorious nation.

Another someone: Your Holiness! Have you heard already?

Pope: What should I have heard?

Another someone: Scotland has inherit Britt- *BOOOOM*-y

Pope: You said what? I just believe we have won the siege of Pisa.

Another someone: Scotland has inherit Brittany.

Pope: And thus? Why should I care? They are brave believeing citizens aren't they?
Another someone: Well except they are following the pope of Avignon. But yeah way better then those Muslim heathens.

628feb1400crusade.png

Eugenius Giustani: Your Holiness I like to offer you my service.

Pope: What service do you offer. If it's the standard service then I prefer young women.

Giustani: Not that kind of service your Holiness. I have made a new system of defense for cities. If my ideas get implented we can hold off hostile sieges longer.

Pope: Sounds good. You are hired!

714may1400recruit.png

*BOOOOM*

Pope: That must be Siena. Fallen in our hands.

Messenger: ...

Pope: Oh no this can't be good.

Messenger: Why not your Holiness?

Pope: because bad news is always told when a messenger appears.

Messenger: Messenger got often killed when they bring bad news wasn't it?

Pope: Yes, it's a tradition I don't like to break with.

Messenger: We got a call to arms from Savoy. Burgungy is touching them.

Pope: Unappropriate places?

Messenger: Well some might say it's Nice.

Pope: That is not Nice.

Messenger: They want to be Nice.

Pope: Not if I can help it.

*Messenger runs off*

814feb1402warburgundy.png

*rain of coins*

*Pope sets up a happy face*

918july1402gifttostate.png

Pope: Damn Jean-Baptiste I. Being more faithfull to Avignon then to us.

*RIIIIIIIIIIING*

Pope: Yes?

Heavy Voice: Just do your thing.

Pope: I could do that...

Heavy Voice: Yes. Also hurry up with Ferrara.

Pope: YES WORKING ON IT *hangs up*

Pope: Yes a good idea. He must know that we are the only true pope. MUHAHAHA I find your lack of faith disturbing Jean-Baptiste!

102sep1402excommunicate.png

A messenger (again): More news your Holiness.

Pope: Does it never stop?

A messenger: It's just the beginning of a long story

Pope: *Sighs*

A messenger: We might have killed him.

Pope: Who?

A messenger: Well him. The ruler of Milan.

Pope: Aaaah him. Just say that immediately.

A messenger: I thought I did.

Pope: No you did not.

A messenger: Anyways, the King of naples is leading their personal union now.

Pope: Ahw, that is annoying.

A messenger: Well we only have to war one of them now.

Pope: That is true. Very true *gniffles*.

1120april1403pumilannap.png

In the meantime the Holy armies have been traveling around. Until they found the city of Brescia not as protected as it should be. No Milanese army was near and the armies of the Papal States decided to siege it.

Pope: It doesn't really go fast.

A Captain: Not really Your Holiness. But it's a big city. It might take some time.

Pope: Don't we have some prisoners from Siena or Pisa?

Captain: Yeah a few hundred of them.

Pope: Good. We should show those Milanese people what happens in the afterlife if they cross me.

Captain: What do you wan to do then?

Pope: Fix me some catapults first.

A few weeks later..

Captain: The catapults are ready.

Pope: Now use some prisoners as load.

Captain: But wouldn't that be cruel?

Pope: Well maybe, but hell is worse. I will make a call to make sure these prisoners get in heaven.

Captain: Ohw okay. Then it can be done.

Pope: When the catapults are loaded springle some oil over them. And light them. Then fire the catapults. We will give Brescia a real hell.

Captain: As you wish your Holiness.

And so the prisoners were set on fire and the first men in history did fly.

Pope: And still. If men were supposed to fly, God would have given us wings.

Brescia was set on fire and on 21 November 1403 they citizens gave up.

Citizens: Okay you damned pope. You win. Let us alone.

Pope: As you wish. I shall send our demand to your King, or should I say to the King of Naples.

Messenger: Your Holiness, the King of Naples accepted. We can go home now.

Pope: Home? Home? We have some Burgundian dogs to teach a lesson.

Messenger: To teach them a lesson?

Pope: Well actually no. I just like to have fun. I'm afraid we can't stop the Burgundian-Bohemian alliance. But we can annoy them.

1229nov1403peacemilan.png

Captain: Your Holiness. They got us.

Pope: What? We are defeated?!

Captain: Yes. Their numbers were too great and our homelands to far away. We were just not able to reinforce our army.

Pope: Ah shit. Well that is not Nice of them. Well break up our camp and we'll be going home.

Captain: There is no camp your Holiness. It's just me and you!

Pope: Oh ****. Let's get the hell out of here. We shall leave a note and ask them to leave us alone!

The note:
Please don't follow us! We did not go home. We were not defeated. And we do have a giant kick ass army left.
So uhm leave us alone.

-Pope Bonifacius IX-

1324june1404peaceburgun.png

Pope: Ah good. They left us alone.

Courtsman: Do you think they have been taught a lesson?

Pope: Oh sure they have. They have seen our powers. I don't think they any longer recognize the Avignon Pope over me.

Courtsman: Are you sure?

Pope: Of course I am. Revoke their excommunication!

1411aug1404revokeexcomm.png

Pope: I'm not really feeling well. I hope that Burgundy was not plagued.

Doctor: Well yes you are sick..

Pope: Will I be better or is it terminal?

Doctor: You will die. Soon.

Pope: If I do I'll take you with me. How dare you to be so insolent. *Lightning Bursts*

Doctor: AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

Pope: Hah NOW I CAN DIE!

1529sep1404bonix.png

Last edited:
Nice update, foro ;)

Cause the catholics are a lost cause anyway ;)

tggbanner.png

The Emperor falls asleep at his bar and catches on fire. The bar wench says "Czech out that hot ass!"

After some initial difficulties, we unfortunately had to play this session without Bohemia, due to self-frying graphics card. He's fallen behind in the leaderboards as a consequence but I'll be sure to help him recover next session - fair's fair, after all. Remember, as always...

SPOILERS ARE BELOW!

13th of January, 1437 AD

(Click for full sized map.)

(Click for full sized map.)

The blobbing has begun!

The full update leaderboards in light of our session are following. I've tweaked the ranking system slightly - vassals/PU members no longer count for economy, and ships are slightly more valuable than they were before.

session3leaderboard.png

Below you can see the current ratings of each player in various areas. These are rough estimations (rounded in the case of army size and points), and current strength is considered much more important than /potential/ strength, so don't be surprised if leaderboard positions change rapidly based on what's happening. This is just to give us some fun stats for comparison. Also, vassals and personal unions are included but are less valuable as far as land area is concerned and make no contribution to economic power.​

Army
1. Denmark: 54,000 cavalry, 27,000 infantry; 72,284/75,416 manpower (177)
2. Burgundy: 14,000 cavalry, 26,000 infantry; 28,264/27,532 manpower (68.5)
3. Papal States: 12,000 cavalry; 22,612/22,612 manpower (45)
4. Byzantium: 7,500 cavalry; 18,216/18,216 (36)
5. Delhi: 20,500 cavalry, 3,000 infantry; 911/21,878 (34.5)
6. Bohemia: 9,000 cavalry, 500 infantry; 7,903/7,742 manpower (21)
7. Leinster: 8,000 cavalry, 2,000 infantry; 5,496/5,496 manpower (17)

Navy
1. Denmark: 2 carracks, 10 galleys, 16 cogs. (30)
2. Burgundy: 8 carracks, 1 galley, 8 cogs (25)
3. Papal States: 9 carracks, 5 cogs (23)
4. Leinster: 6 carracks, 5 cogs (17)
5. Byzantium: 1 carrack, 2 galleys, 3 cogs (7)
6. Bohemia: No Ships (N/A)
7. Delhi: No Ships (N/A)

Economy
1. Denmark: 1,234 ducats, 65.8 ducats/month income (78)
2. Leinster: 158 ducats, 45.5 ducats/month income (47)
3. Papal States: 160 ducats, 41.5 ducats/month income (43)
4. Burgundy: 158 ducats, 28.7 ducats/month income (30)
5. Delhi: 234 ducats, 27.4 ducats/month income (30)
6. Byzantium: 51 ducats, 25.9 ducats/month income (26.5)
7. Bohemia: 259 ducats, 4.7 ducats/month income (7.5)

Land Area
1. Delhi: 33 (33)
2. Denmark: 18/28* (32)
3. Papal States: 17 (17)
4. Byzantium: 16 (16)
5. Burgundy: 8/9* (12.5)
6. Bohemia: 7 (7)
7. Leinster: 6/1* (6.5)

Prestige
1. Denmark: +74 (15)
2. Papal States: +27 (5)
3. Delhi: +23 (4.5)
4. Leinster: +16 (3)
5. Burgundy: +11 (2)
6. Bohemia: +9 (2)
7. Byzantium: +8 (1.5)​

* - Numbers marked with an asterisk are provinces owned by player's vassals or members of a personal union.

I'm imba... :(

Last edited:
It's funny because compared to some of my SP games as Denmark, I've done really terribly.

That is because they work against me :(

Nah I've been helping the Eastern Roman Empire a lot in last session. has to be updated :p and well what more can I say...I don't really need much help. Soonish I need probably...kicking some Austrian asses >.>

Haha alright. But spare the Austrians thats who I'm playing in my current game ;)

I should have my first update up by tonight...the rest of you, what are you waiting for? Sloth! Lackadaisacal bastards!

red head guy: Any kind of victory against the Ottomans would have been nigh impossible if it wasn't for Foro. His fleet helped us a lot.

tggbanner.png

"Boy, that crown sure is slippery..." mutters the Rheinlander.

So, do you remember what I was telling you about money and how it's problematic?

Good news, it's still problematic. I can't maintain even this moderate army without minting money, and even then my treasury isn't exactly the envy of the world.

Well I got a mighty fine idea. Let the Greeks know we've done our job - 15 regiments annihilated and the Ottoman Navy reduced to a fraction of its former power...

bayofnapoli.png

Constantinople is back in Crusader hands - now minus the looting of previous crusades!

constantinoplebyzantine.png

Now that our armies are no longer tied up, money. We lack it. There is only one solution. I thought long and hard about this one, but at long last, I have come solely to the words of my ancestor, Kund Knýtling.

I send all my problems to church. Because I hate God. And myself.

It's time to send our money problems to church...in the old viking manner. Get ready to loot some Germans, men!

2ndwar.png

The Palatinate will defend them. Seeing as how Bohemia is still Holy Roman Emperor, this should be a short war and I can prevent them from growing too big for their boots.

hyw.png

Good thing England is embroiled in the Hundred Years' War, gives me free reign to act down here...

Wait...Utrecht and Gelre didn't protect their ally? Cowards! Pathetic! I was hoping to gain a few more north sea bases. Oh well, I'll be fine. It's not like I need them yet or anything. The Dutch are prone to bending over when anyone with real muscle arrives anyway.

armylimits.png

And speaking of muscle, it's coming close to bankrupting us...

The plan was simple. Its execution masterful.

palatinateblitz.png

Cologne collapsed under the weight of Sweden and Norway's armies - they were no match for our mighty force. Understandably, they quaked in fear at the thought of facing us in battle.

westfalensiege.png

18,000 mounted huskarls were ready to engage a Palatinate army a little over half its size and worse in quality. Surely this was an easy victory in the making, right guys?

...Right?

palatinatesuccess.png

Ha, see? Easy...now I just have to play ping-pong with them until their backs break from the awesome.

Sire...Apparently our Baltic fleet decided to sail back to Denmark without repairing in Roma as planned.

Why is that a problem?

They also didn't take any food supplies and several ships were dangerously close to sinking. They hit a storm in the Strait of Gibraltar...not many made it back.

Oh...well, what do we have left?

640025_old_boat_in_the_lake.png

...Nnnnnnnnngggg...

At least the battle in South Germany is going we-

palatinatewontdie.png

WHY AREN'T THEY DEAD YET?!

Come on! They're reinforcing while we've got all of their land locked down and under siege. Their allies are dead and on the verge of surrendering, we outnumber them, and yet they just keep running at the first sign of us, and for some reason our cavalry can't catch at least the infantry?

Correct.

Screw you, Palatinate. You're like a bunch of Kaiserhippies, only you don't pass around the puff for everyone to share. You...you...you... crabs-infested pus-buckets!

Well, on the bright side, the West has Falen...heh, heh, get it?

westfalenfalls.png

Not to ruin your fun, sire, but I thought you might want to know something else...the King of Bohemia just died battling in Bulgaria.

Really? Let me guess who the next Holy Roman Emperor is...why, what a shock...

palatinateemperor.png

...Nnnnnnnnnnnggg...

firstloss.png

This can't get any worse...

rebelscum.png

...NNNNGGGG...

@*&# it, peace out. We can't afford this war anymore...

colognevassalized.png

Despite my heavy losses, the Palatinate pulls out with a white peace shortly after. I send the miserable remnants of my army north to Pommerania, with orders to retake Danzig at any cost. At least they're just rebels, right?

...Right?

...RIGHT?!

rebelscum2.png

...you rebel scum...

danzigfalls.png

...GRRRRRRRR! That's it. I wish I was dead. There's no way this could get worse. No way at all. At least I still have Kurland.

/This/ time...

Well, I lost my war against the Palatinate, I lost Danzig, and I lost whatever shred of pride I had. This couldn't have gone more terribly. I'm out of money, low on friends and nobody likes me. Maybe I'm still a worthless Knýtling after all...

erikemperor.png

...what?

Leinster, 1399-1411. Part 3: The quest continues...

tggbanner.png

The Irishman falls off his barstool and cries out: “Mother, what should I do now?”

leinsterx.png

~*~*~​

Art woke up late in the afternoon on the 20th of June of the year 1404. His head felt heavy as he sat up in bed. He couldn’t remember much of the night before; the things that expired after his fight with his uncle and his claim to the throne were rather blurry. ‘Must have been all the booze... it was a good party after all.’ he thought, and looked around the room. It was all his now: the room, the castle, the country. Even the girl in his bed was his.

‘Wait...’ Art thought and blinked surprised as he looked at the girl, who was still sleeping soundly. ‘A girl? In my bed? What?’ Slowly the memories came back to him, flooding his mind. He blushed. ‘Oh... right... it’s that girl... the one that helped me up after the fight... I think I promised her something... something important... like, ehm... ah, marriage, yes, that was it...’ He stared at her for a while, and then nodded to himself. ‘She will be perfect; I even think she is noble too.’ He got up reluctantly, leaving her asleep. He had preparations to make for the coronation-wedding, which would be that very same evening.

In the evening of the 20th of June 1404, the very young Art III, only 14 years of age, was crowned King of Leinster. He was the youngest King Eire had ever seen, but his skills were already well developed due to his strict upbringing and education. He was much like his grandfather, in his looks and in his actions. The only difference between him and his grandfather was that young Art never wanted to be King. The throne was forced on him. If it were up to him... he’d rather just play around with his miniature soldiers.

He looked at the gathered masses, and then at his new wife. He felt lost. “So, I’m King... what now? I never asked for this... If only mother were here... She’d know...” he muttered under his breath, before smiling at his Queen.

leinsterart3king.png

A few days later, Art received a letter from his dear mother. It was as if she had heard his question the day before, for the letter read:

I’m proud of you, my son. You did well in reclaiming the throne for us. I hear you even got yourself a wife in the process! Well done, my boy. Leinster is better off without that useless little brother of mine.
Now that we have the throne, we wait, bide our time, make preparations. Get the land in order. Your eyes should be set on Meath and England. Watch them, those filthy English. Make sure Leinster is prepared, my son. A great war is at hands, and you will lead Leinster to the victory.

Love, your mother.

Art smiled. His mother always knew what to do. He depended on her to guide him, to make sure he would not make mistakes. He knew the importance of his quest. He would finish the unification of Eire, for his mother, for his grandfather. He would be the most important King of all.

~*~*~​

A few months passed, and everything was fine. Art was mostly bored; affairs of state didn’t interest him very much. He missed his miniature army, since he had left it in Denmark. He only was there, in Leinster, because his mother had wanted him to be, and he kept receiving letters from her, which dictated everything he needed to do, every step he needed to take to reach his goals. He, in turn, delegated these things to the Court’s advisors, who then followed his orders.

On the 15th of August, he was busy delegating once again, when suddenly a messenger came into the throne room.

“My Lord.” The messenger bowed to him. “We have news from the Papal State. The pope decided to lift Burgundy’s excommunication.”

revokeexcomburgundy.png

“Oh. Okay. What does that mean for us? Nothing, right?” Art asked, looking from the messenger to his advisors and back again.

All four shook their head. “No, nothing really, my Lord,” they said all at once. “It merely means they are part of the Church again.” the messenger added.

“Oh, good for them. Now, let’s get back to more pressing business.” Art replied, and sighed.

They all nodded, and the messenger left.

Art felt a warm hand on his shoulder. He turned his head to look in the face of his wife. “What’s wrong, Art?” she asked.

“I’m bored... that’s all. I miss playing around with my mini soldiers, you know, simulating wars...”

His wife smiled. “But dear, you are King. Why don’t you have those soldiers brought here? Anything is possible.”

His face lightened up a little. Even though he was King, he also was a 15 year old boy that just wanted to have fun. “You’re right! I will arrange it right away!”

~*~*~​

A year passed, and Leinster was getting back on track. The old loans were paid off, a fleet was under construction, the merchants were doing well abroad and the faith in God was strong. How strong it was exactly, Art would find out on the 8th of September of the year 1405, when the following news reached his ears.

miracles.png

Art was happy. The country fared well, and he had received his mini army in good order. He had set it up in the centre of the throne room, on a huge table with a landscape modelled on it, and played with it whenever he could.

Of course, things would not be this good forever. Only six months later, on the 16th of March of the year 1406, Art was busy playing with his army miniatures as usual, when a messenger walked in. Art didn't look up, but continued to move the soldiers around on the battlefield. He was working out strategies to take Meath from the English. Those bloody English that were occupying Irish land... he would teach them, when the time was right.

“My liege, I bring some unpleasant news.”

“What is it?” Art replied, not even looking up at the messenger.

"A dispute between science and the Church, my Lord."

hereticphilosopher.png

“Oh.” Art sighed. He was torn. Should he hang the philosopher as the clergy was suggesting? Or should he tell them to shut up and bear with it? He pondered. What would his mother do? He sighed again. He never asked for so much responsibility...

He nodded at himself as he decided. “Tell the philosopher to adapt his ideas so they fit in the Catholic beliefs and tell the clergy to stop whining. This country can use some refreshing ideas. Now shoo, I have more important things to do.”

~*~*~​

Another year passed without notice. In the summer of 1407, England was still wrapped up in the war with France, and was too busy defending its holdings on the mainland to pay attention to Eire. That was a good thing too. This gave Art the time he needed to observe and prepare, and also to fiddle with his mini army some more.

My dear boy, our country is looking fine. You solved the internal issues quite good on your own, you truly are a skilled diplomat already.
Now, it’s time to look on. Meath is occupied by those filthy English. We need to free them, and we will soon enough. The Scots are watching England, just as we do, ready to invade when those English bastards are the weakest. Although the Scots are savage and don’t know how to make a good whiskey, they will prove to be valuable allies for us against England, son, and undoubtedly they think the same about us. An alliance is the wisest decision now, Art. Accept the alliance if the Scots offer you one. When we’re done with England, we will take care of them. But focus on England now, my dear son. Meath is our first and most important objective now. I will be watching.

Love as always, mother.

Art sat on his throne, reading the latest letter he got from his mother, when a messenger arrived at the gates. He bore a message from the Scots, and presented it to Art.

alliancescotland.png

Art was stunned. How could she know all these things? It was as if she could read minds or see the future or something... maybe God himself had spoken to her...
Art blinked for a moment, looking from the letter in his hand to the messenger and back again.

“I accept. Tell the Scots we of Leinster will gladly ally ourselves with them.”

Art waved the messenger away, and stared at the letter. Amazing, that woman. She always knew.

~*~*~​

Six seasons of more observing and preparing passed. Art had matured over the past two years, and spent less time playing with his army, and more time playing with his wife... in bed.
He had changed from a young, insecure boy, into a more secure, driven young man. Affairs of state still didn’t interest him, unless they involved the words war and strategy. He was ready to go to war, even if the country was not. But he knew that against a great country as England, they would need the perfect time to strike, or else everything would be lost.

Then, at the start of January 1409, a Danish messenger came to Art. He bowed.

“Honoured King of Leinster, I bring you a message.”

“Oh...” Art looked at the man, recognising him. “Is it another letter from my mother?” he asked, becoming slightly annoyed at his mother's frequent orders.

“No, my Lord. It’s a message from the King of Denmark himself. He is going to war with Oldenburg, and asks you to honour the old alliance between Leinster and Denmark.”

calltoarmsbrunswickolde.png

“A war? Great! Tell the Danish King I will honour our alliance and that I will declare war on Oldenburg.” Art was excited. Finally, he would get to do something else than just observe.

The war turned out to be disappointing for Leinster. The Danes seemed to handle themselves pretty nicely, and there was no need for Leinster's active help. After nearly a year, Denmark had already made peace with Oldenburg in exchange for their full annexation.

oldenburgpeace.png

~*~*~​

Winter passed and started to turn into spring. On the 19th of April 1410, Art's wife came to him. She seemed happy about something. He pulled her close and caressed her cheek. “Art, I have some wonderful news.”

“What is it? Is there a war going on? Do I finally get to do something?”

His wife giggled and shook her head. “I’m with child, silly.”

“Oh. That’s good, I guess. Take good ca-”

Art was interrupted by a messenger that busted into the room, panting. “My Lord, forgive me for interrupting you, but...” He paused, trying to catch his breath. “Irish rebels have taken control of Meath.”

“Well, good for them. Those bloody English deserved it.”

“My liege, those same rebels are now marching on Leinster. They will arrive here, at the city, before night falls.”

siegeleinsterrebels.png

“You’re kidding, right?” The messenger shook his head. “Perfect!” Art exclaimed. “Finally I get to do something! Round up the army. I will lead them into battle, against this rebel scum. We will teach them!”

generalartiii.png

He turned to his wife. “Don’t worry, my dear. I will be back in one piece, I promise. This is the happiest day of my life. You’re expecting my child, and I finally get to fight.” He kissed his wife on the forehead, and dashed off.

~*~*~​

The battle for Leinster was short. Art found that Leinster’s army was vastly outnumbered by the rebels, and soon it became clear that they had lost the battle. They fled into the province of Connaught. Art cursed. His first real battle, and he lost. He sent a messenger to the castle, hoping the message would reach his wife. Then he started to make arrangements to reinforce his army, and recruit some new troops. He needed another two thousand men at least to be able to defeat those pesky rebels. It would take months to do so, and he might not be able to save the city of Leinster from the rebels.

After three months, the dreaded news reached him. Leinster had fallen in the hands of the rebels.

leinsterloserebels.png

Art sighed. He hoped his pregnant wife was alright. But he didn’t get much more time to worry and reinforce. The army of rebels was marching on Connaught, and merely days after the fall of Leinster, Art’s men were ambushed and defeated.

battleofconnaughtrebels.png

siegeconnaught.png

Art was forced to retreat into Ulster. He was worried. At this rate, they would lose all of Leinster to those rebels. Luckily, word had reached Ulster some time ago, and reinforcements were already waiting for them. They were three thousand men strong now and might be able to defeat the rebels. However, if things would backfire, there was nowhere to run. Art looked towards Meath, and sighed.

“It’s time we asked the bloody English for a favour.” he said, a disgusted look in his eyes. “Ask them to allow our troops on their land, just in case we need to retreat.”

After a few days, the messenger returned with good news. Leinster's good relations with England that were established during the reign of Art I made the King of England decide to agree to Art’s request.

milaccessengland.png

Another few days later, a message from the Danes reached him. They had made peace again, this time with Brunswick, ending the war in Germany.

peacebrunswick.png

This was of course good news, but Art had more pressing matters on his mind. He still did not know if his wife was alright, and the rebels were still sieging Connaught. Besides that, his country was running out of money, fast. Hearing of his troubles, the Pope himself decided to help, sending Leinster a generous gift.

giftpapalstate.png

Things looked bad, and Art decided to move. He would lead the army back to Leinster to try and take it back from the rebels before they would take Connaught, while strengthening his army in the process.

rebelsp.png

This plan partly failed, and the rebels took Connaught and moved into Ulster.

connaughtloserebels.png

siegeulsterrebels.png

However, the army had been successfully reinforced up to six thousand men, and Art had seen his wife a few times in secret. She had proudly shown Art his son and told him the rebels had not touched them. He was happy to see they were both alright. His spirits were up once more. He marched with his army back to Ulster. This time, he would beat them. The battle was long and tiring, but ended in victory for Leinster. The main rebel forces were annihilated; even those that fled were chased and killed.

battleulsterrebelsactio.png

battleofulsterrebels.png

After the fight, Art sighed relieved. He could finally take back the lands that were rightfully his. Splitting up his army to siege the two occupied cities, he himself joined the half that went back to Leinster, longing to be home again, with his wife and child.

There was no further resistance, and the rebels holding the city of Leinster surrendered quickly. Art was happy. It had been more than a year, but on the 4th of July of the year 1411, he finally came home.

Last edited:
Papal States 1406 - 1411

HolySee.png
==================================================
Interviewer: Good day your Holiness

Pope: Good day.

Interviewer: Maybe we should introduce you to our fantastic readers.

Pope: Why? I'm a celebrity now, ain't I?

Interviewer: Well just for in case somebody isn't up to date.

Pope: Okay well I'm Pope Bonifacius X. I reigned from 29 September 1404 to 29 November 1408. A rather short reign I would say. Especially if you consider that we do not have elections every 4 years.

Interviewer: Well now that we all know who you are I would like to talk about your life.

Pope: Yes my life. It was sooo good. Too bad I'm dead now.

Interviewer: Of course...too bad. Well let's get to business. When you started your reign you faced immediately a problem didn't you?

Pope: Yes indeed. I had to choose a national idea. Our very first one.

Interviewer: So what did you choose?

Pope: I chose to go along with press gangs. I had only a very small fleet to use and with gaining a few coastal provinces I needed more ships and cheap.

Interviewer: Did you ever regret this choice?

Pope: Well yes and no. Our inflation was still skyrocketing but we needed these cheap ships more.

1617feb1406pressgangs.png

Interviewer: And what did you do after this?

Pope: Well apart from ordering some ships I did pretty much nothing.

Interviewer: Nothing?

Pope: Yes nothing. My country needed some peace. In 1408 I could start a new offensive for the papal states.

Interviewer: What kind of stuff did you then?

Pope: Well first we decided to warn Naples. They had grown quite a bit and I had an eye on their provinces. Not long after I proposed an alliance offer to our brothers of the East Roman Empire. I even granted them military acces through our areas.

Interviewer: Was that all?

Pope: Of course not this was just the begin of our plans. On 9 March we insulted Naples and we declared war on the Ottomans. Not long after we could get the benefits of having a crusade and we joined our brothers in the east in their difficult war.

172april1408crusade.png

Interviewer: Did you have a strong navy by now?

Pope: Not really. But the Ottomans were way to busy with fighting their landwars and well...their number of cogs was not that big that they could surprise us with an invasion.

Interviewer: And that insult you did send?

Pope: Ah yes. Well not long after I insulted Naples for a second time. And this was followed with an excommunication of Naples by Denmark.

18excomnaples.png

Interviewer: So you went to war?

Pope: Most certainly. On 17 June I declared war on them. Naples was allied with Ferrara and Milan. So this was a good chance to get some lands from them as well. And it helped that Venice had already a war with Naples. So the army of Naples was not close to our lands. Hehe.

1917june1408wardecnaple.png

Interviewer: The last pope had made a painting of himself by some incredible painter.

Pope: Yes I tried to get one myself too. But I died and it was only half finished by then. Here it looked like this:

19bbonixportret.png

Interviewer: Oh that is indeed only half finished.

Pope: Yes. Oh well you can't have everything can you?

Interviewer: Indeed. Well I want to thank you for your time.

Pope: It was my pleasure.

==================================================
30 November 1408 Clemens VII came to power. He inherited a war with Milan, Ferrara and Naples. The schism in the west still existed. With other words: he was in lots of trouble.

2030nov1408clemvii.png

Problems even became bigger when 2 days after his reign started the people lost their confidence in the Government. Quite ironic that the pope's own people doesn't have confidence. They certainly have a lack of faith.
212dec1408losingconfide.png

Pope: Do we have peace already?

Marcellus: No your Holiness but word says that both Ferrara and Modena have fallen. We can offer them peace if you want.

Pope: Good idea. Do it immediately.

2219may1409peacemodena.png

Pope: You vassalised them Marcellus?

Marcellus: Yes your Holiness.

Pope: Oh damn, I wanted to annex them in a future war.

Marcellus: I'm sorry your Holiness.

Pope: No this is unforgivable. I had already a bad mood but you made it worse. So jump out of the window or I will toture you to death.

Marcellus: I jump I jump! *Jumps out of the window*

Pope: Oh he really jumped. Well problem solved. Now I need a replacement. Didn't some commandant offer his services to us not long ago?

Servant: Do you mean Iulius Belluno, your Holiness?

Pope: Yes him. Get him here and give him a place in my court

Servant: Yes your Holiness. Consider it done.

2328june1410hirebelluno.png

Advisors of the court: Your Holiness the armies of our enemies are as good as defeated. But the country of Leinster, one of your loyal followers, is in trouble.

Pope: Yes and thus?

Advisors of the court: Well we think we should help them. That way they own us a favour.

Pope: Alright. Getting an ally because they own us something. Send them money.

Advisors of the court: Yes your Holiness.

Pope: And if that is not enough send them another gift.

Advisors of the court: Yes your Holiness. We will give them what they need.

2517aug1410en24jan1411g.png

Last edited: