• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They release one every 4ish months. I suspect the next one will be released in April or May.

They've also said (in the context of HoI4) that they announce things too early, so I imagine we'll probably get the announcement this month or next with 3-4 weeks of Dev Diaries first.

As for DLCs, my biggest hope is for a Dynasty focused DLC. One of the biggest things about CK2 is that it is meant to be a game where you play a dynasty (hence why we dont get theocracies), but I feel that there arent really that many mechanics actually centered on dynasties, only immediate family. So having some kind of system that unifies a dynasty (to a certain extent) would be the next logical step.

In an ideal world, this would be:

- Having inter-dynastic relations, where an opinion modifier exists based on how members of one dynasty treat others. This modifier would return to zero over time, but it would reflect close bonds between some families, and feuds between others. More importantly, having very close ties between dynasties would allow for non-marriage based alliances
- It would be nice to see a system which would represent how the dynasty acts towards each other internally. Ideally making it so you have something akin to crown authority, but only within the dynasty. A low Dynastic authority would mean the actions of other dynastic members don't affect you as much (like the above opinion modifier) and you also don't get as much as a prestige penalty fo attacking them/not joining them in a war. A high dynastic authority would make it far more likely for them to agree to be your vassal (if you outrank them), and make them more likely to agree to a call to arms, but you would also get a massive hit to prestige when attacking/not defending them, and even run the risk of being 'excommunicated' from the dynasty (and possibly giving other powerful members claims on your titles).
- This would also see an improvement to the decadence system, where possibly having a high authority would give you far more control over your dynasty members.
- Cadet branches. Lots of people have asked for this. With the above system, you would see more cadet branches appearing with low dynastic authority, but be able to bring them back into the fold with a high authority.
- I would love to see a way to have more control over the next character you play as. Where your next character may not be the same as your current characters heir. Though the restrictions would be such that it wouldn't be just whoever you want. But it would be nice, for example, to play as the younger son, and make a stake for the crown. This would mean you can continue to build up your dynasty, and still see a drop in your current holdings. Technically, you can do this by saving and reloading as a different character, but it would be nice to see a smooth transition.
- Finally, it would be good to see the head of the Dynasty playing a role, almost like a separate title. Once again, the head of the dynasty wouldn't even exist with low authority, but would be able to direct the efforts in a dynasty with high authority. Possibly dictating a focus for them. The head of the Dynasty may declare the need to wipe out the infidel, giving all members a slight bonus to military score, and make the AI more likely to start holy wars and join crusades. You would also be able to arrange feasts, where key members of the dynasty are invited. If I am the king of England, and my brother is the King of France, it would be nice to sit down and have dinner with him.

Me like!

-In general, anything that gives you more option to interact with other characters added to that. Expanded diplomacy, negotiations and promises.
-Know that people have been wanting expanded options for the court and council as well. Though i cant remember the specifics for that at the moment.

I would like barons to be playable. Although, as the game is now, I have no idea how you would manage to actually get hold of a county title without being granted one. If they expanded what a character can actually do in terms of councils etc that might present some possibilities.

This would slow down the game more than a map extension, if you actually give barons even a small court it would adds 1000s of characters to the game.

That is true if you give every baron a proper court. You could just enable it for the player or something similar. It does not have to be like a map extension at all.

As always there is a solution if you think about it for a second. I will take this to mean that what you actually meant was; "Playing as a baron doesn't interest me". :)

Last edited:
That is true if you give every baron a proper court. You could just enable it for the player or something similar. It does not have to be like a map extension at all.

As always there is a solution if you think about it for a second. I will take this to mean that what you actually meant was; "Playing as a baron doesn't interest me".

That's not what I meant at all, I just assumed that playable baronies with real courts would mean that the AI, which generally plays by the same rules as human players, would have full courts as well.

I would love to have ticking crusader or Jihad timer, a special screen on the religion tab where certain conditions have to be met so that a jihad/crusade/great war can be
declared by the religious head.

I would love to have ticking crusader or Jihad timer, a special screen on the religion tab where certain conditions have to be met so that a jihad/crusade/great war can be
declared by the religious head.
With a variety of events that increase or decrease chance in different kingdoms. (Example France attacks Slavic traders increases the chance that the Slavic high priest declares a great holy war and increases all pagans great holy war value by a lesser extent)

I would really like to see China in CK... as a new game with the CK2 engine and a focus on the Far East. "Middle Kings"?
It would have to be a game of its own, or CK3. CK2 is in no shape to handle the whole of Asia, as that would effectively triple the amount of characters. For a standalone CK-esque game in Asia, I would use the name 'Mandate of Heaven'. China was, indeed, the strongest regional power.

How about a revamp in Byzantine court? Like families rise and fall in prominence (more or less the same way patrician families in Republics rise and fall)

Palace coups (in the form of plots aiming in deposing the reigning Emperor and electing a new one from among the plotters)

Electing the Ecumenical Patriarch from among the Bishops of the Realm (maybe in a fashion similar to papal election-in order to reduce the electorate as the Bishops of the Realm may be too many to handle. For instance the Ecumenical Patriarch can have his own "college of Cardinals" renamed as "Holy Synod"-proper name for the highest governing body of the Orthodox Church-and have his successor drawn from among their number in the same way the Pope is elected.).

Also allow some special functions to the Emperor such as interfering with Patriarchal election (or even interfere with papal election if the Emperor controls Rome), convoke an Ecumenical Council (assuming that he has mended the Schism) to deal with a persistent heresy and some other functions which i will come up later.

It would have to be a game of its own, or CK3. CK2 is in no shape to handle the whole of Asia, as that would effectively triple the amount of characters. For a standalone CK-esque game in Asia, I would use the name 'Mandate of Heaven'. China was, indeed, the strongest regional power.

Paradox would never manage to sell it as a game of its own. That's the reason that Koei rarely publish their strategy titles in Europe and America (and to be honest, I cannot see how Paradox might make a better game than ROTKX, which was the best game in history :D ).

But combined with Crusader Kings, it would work as a great alternative experience, and might include mechanics which Byzantines could benefit from. Not only that, but the story of China is very much one of internal political struggle, which is something that other countries could benefit from.

Either they do it in CK2 as the final expansion (which is very plausible), or they do it in CK3. There's just no point in a standalone title (Paradox would be better off translating and marketing the PC version of ROTKX in the West).

I would like to see some of the negative traits not just be negative. Like I think that you should be able to rule by people loving you or out of fear. Game of Thrones House Bolton is a good example of how you don't have to be loved to have people follow you.

Machiavelli would disagree with you. You should avoit that the people hate you. If you rule by fear and the people hate you you will have problems. If you want to rule by fear you should avoid hate. And don't use fictional exemples ;) Fiction is not a good exemple how the real world works.

One thing to point out? You realize the College of Cardinals actually burdens the game more than all of India? Yes?

One thing to point out? You realize the College of Cardinals actually burdens the game more than all of India? Yes?

I've heard that before, but... how?

Status
Not open for further replies.