• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
About time you started letting the germans beat themselves. Way to whack those Iti's in albania.

Sorry for the long delay. Finals are fast approaching and I have very little free time on my hands to update as often as I'd like.

GeneralHannibal: Still at war. There's still fighting going on in Persia, but no one cares about that much :p

Darks63: Usually destroying the army is a means to that end. Especially when they're fighting a two-front war they had no hope of winning in CI1.

grayghost: Yes, that was a very fun time for the Red Army. My armies even got some pretty stars too :)

--------------------------------------

March 15th, 1941

Henry J. Kaiser stood up when General Marshall walked through the door of the conference room. Kaiser gestured toward his aides to leave them alone together. The two remained standing until the door had closed behind the last of them.

"I got your message," Marshall said first.

Kaiser sighed and shook his head slowly. "I'm sorry I don't have much good news for you right now, George."

The two of them sat down at the long conference table, Marshall taking off his cap and setting it down at the corner. "Well, Henry, when I got your message I can't say I was expecting anything else. So what have you got for me?"

"Intelligence reports from my usual sources. They're reliable, but that's about all I can say," Kaiser said as he slide a portfolio of documents across the table.

Marshall opened the 'folio and pulled out the first document. "Japan?" he asked.

"If only we were that lucky. Read on, George."

Quickly, Marshall scanned through it, his lips moving slightly as he softly muttered it to himself. He finally put the paper down and shrugged. "Henry, I'm no scientist, so I don't quite find this to mean much of anything. Sounds like you should have sent it to Einstein instead."

Kaiser smiled thinly. "I did, two weeks ago. Got them back two days ago, along with a letter for the President."

"Summarize it for me, if you can," Marshall insisted. He didn't know much about all the technical and scientific writing all over the document, but he fully realized the gravity of the situation if Kaiser was so worked up about it.

Kaiser took a deep breath. "Turns out the Soviets are further along than anyone thought on some atomic research program. Turns out they've been putting their best men on it for the last couple years but it's only been now they've started to pick up steam."

Kaiser pulled out another document and slid it over to Marshall. "My sources tell me Stalin's got some big construction project going on out in the Siberian wastes. They can't find out just exactly what it is, but it's the single most expensive project I've ever seen."

"How expensive are we talking?" Marshall asked as he looked over the untranslated Russian.

"We're talking about the equivalent of three tank divisions. And I'm talking about those new ones they've been deploying recently, too."

"Three tank divisions? When they're going at it tooth and nail with the Germans?" Marshall asked in astonishment.

"Afraid so," Kaiser replied ruefully. "Whatever it is is important enough to divert that many resources away in the middle of all-out war and the Reds are doing well enough now that they can really start pouring funds into it."

"But what is it? Do your spies have any idea what it is?"

Kaiser shook his head. "'fraid not. Einstein says its an atomic research facility that could be used to build some kind of "atomic bomb". Essentially, he says it could be the most powerful weapon created by man."

"And in the hands of someone like Stalin..."

"Would be very bad," Kaiser finished for him.

Marshall fell back into his chair, absorbing the seriousness of the implications.

"Unfortunately," Kaiser continued. "Turns out the Soviets are working on more toys. Newer, heavier tanks, battleships, aircraft carriers, and best of all, they've got an up-and-running rocketry program."

"Flying bombs?" Marshall asked, not sure he wanted to hear the answer.

Kaiser grimaced and nodded. "We could be looking at the development of Soviet superweapons. And with the Red Army almost at Venice and Budapest, it's looking less and less likely the Axis are going to keep them back."

"And the Allies won't do not better," Marshall remarked as he read through another document.

"There's not even a chance. France is fighting a two-front war and their barely holding together as it is against half the German army."

"Meaning less time on guns, more time on gadgets," said Marshall.

"I hate to even think of the possibilities. Unless something changes very soon, we could be looking at Red Europe and the Soviet Union with enough wonder weapons to conquer the whole world."

Uhggg. That must have been a kick in sack for Marshall. The US on it's own against the Red Juggernaut. The US better start making nice with Japan. ;)

grayghost: Well, the U.S. hasn't really gotten involved with anyone just yet. I'm sure that'll change once Japan messes everything up :p

rcduggan: Glad you enjoyed it.

Guangxi: Why not both? :eek:o

--------------------------------------

wrathofstukov2fa6.jpg

Much had happened since the 'June Disaster' of the year prior. While in the north, the Soviet armies were generally where they had been the year before, the situation in the Balkans had changed markedly. With Hitler desperately fighting to block a direct route, the Soviets had been forced to take a vastly more roundabout approach. Now, there were simply too many ways for the Soviet army to enter Germany to cover.

With France, resisting as stubbornly and resolutely as ever, pinning desperately needed soldiers and material to a campaign that seemed as if it would never end, the German army was discovering it could not match the overwhelming manpower and resource base the Red Army wielded.

General Rokossovsky, the rising star of the Soviet Red Army, with his tank divisions and hastily assembled Romanian and Bulgarian partisans, had miraculously pushed all the way up through Yugoslavia until the Alps were in plain sight. Only the limitations of the human body's endurance kept Rokossovsky from marching on Venice and the vital industry of northern Italy immediately.

In the center, the surrender of the Hungarian government and its subsequent annexation had shattered the German strategic center. Capitalizing on the massive offensives to the north, Generals Rybalko and Fedoranko poured relentlessly into Bohemia and northern Austria. Several overambitious encirclements were planned; the successful destruction of two German panzer divisions - a far cry from what was promised - owing more von Kleist's incompetence than anything. Prague was taken in late May, more for propaganda than any strategic importance. Vienna, too, was nearly completely under Soviet control as June rolled in, and the rest of Austria, which in turn would mean the separation of the two significant Axis powers, would follow soon enough.

In northern Germany, however, all eyes were focused to the next grand Soviet offensive. Zhukov boldly aimed to bypass and encircle Berlin. He hoped that combined with the stresses on all other fronts, the reconquest of the German capital would be the death knell for the Third Reich. The offensive began in early May; in the north, the fighting centered on Stralsund, with the Red Army driving the Germans before it. At Cottbus, however, the offensive immediately stalled. German reinforcements from the south poured in almost indiscriminately. The fighting raged for weeks, until Soviet forces attacked the German flank from Potsdam and finally allowed the Soviets to take the city. The success, and encirclement, was short-lived. The German force in Berlin, over twenty divisions, managed a successful breakout.

It seemed Hitler was determined to make a last stand in his battle-scarred capital. Gathering what he could from northern Germany, it seemed the dictator was preparing to fight to the last man.

Stalin was happy to oblige.

SS22.jpg

France continued to resist the Germans in spite of the incredible odds.

SS23.jpg

Axis resistance in Italy and Austria crumbled underneath the Soviet onslaught.

SS24.jpg

Soviet forces encircled Berlin, but only temporarily.

I have two questions. First of all, I assume you're going for a red world, right?

Second, would you happen to have a save-game, as I think it might be interesting to do a French AAR from this point ;), with your permission of course. Of course, I'm not even sure I have 1.2 for DD anyway, but still...

Man, I can't believe you are still having trouble with the Germans. They are fighting a two front war and having some success on both fronts. Although now that you have the balkans wrapped up, you need to punch through that southern flank. Just do a holding pattern on the Italians, they are no threat.

GeneralHannibal: I'd be happy to give you a save game file. I save over quite a bit, so the earliest you'd have would be sometime in early/mid May 1941. Latest is June 15, 1941. PM details.

And yes, my goal is the dream of a Soviet world empire.

grayghost: It's really an amazing feat that they have resisted so much. I think the combination of my low org. and Axis minors really made all the difference in the north. As for Italy, I feel drawn to those 22 IC in Milan and Venice :eek:o

Will we see another time traveller, perhaps by the name of Samir Duran?
If not, at least Sarah Kerrigan or James Raynor?

I DEMAND MORE STARCRAFT REFERENCES!!!!!

ColossusCrusher: Hmm, I'm not sure Starcraft deserves another such character cameo...

---------------------------------------

wrathofstukov2fa6.jpg

August 8th, 1941

Stukov surveyed the horizon idly as he strolled along the beach. "Bornholm? Any idea how they got there?" he asked.

Lt. General Pavlov shook his head slowly. "Not at the moment. The Kreigsmarine couldn't have responded fast enough and there aren't enough ferries to ship over that many man."

Stukov sighed and raised his right leg, propping it on a beached rock and staring out across the Black Sea. "Estimates?"

"Eight divisions confirmed. Probably only at half strength. A few of them decided to try and sail back." Pavlov smirked. "Good target practice."

Stukov nodded approvingly. "Very good. Though, I think your men and your leadership would be better spent closer to the front. We'll need tanks to outrun the French to the Rhineland. Comrade Voroshilov is en route as we speak to take over defensive positions."

Pavlov saluted. "I will make preparations to depart at once, comrade Stukov."

Stukov nodded silently as he watched Pavlov walk away. To fill the vacuum, one of Stukov's NKVD stepped forward.

"More news from the front, sir."

"Bah, I'm sick of news from the front. Don't we ever get news from the side?" Stukov muttered as he took the 'folio full of reports. He glanced at the soldier's confused expression. "It's from a movie. Go watch it sometime and I might promote you."

Stukov quickly glanced through the reports, summarizing them in his mind as best he could. From what he saw, the Red Army was essentially unstoppable now. Comintern forces were firmly established in Milan and Venice, Munich had fallen, with Nuremberg soon to follow, 6 German divisions encircled and destroyed at Pilsen, and best of all, Berlin was in Soviet hands - eight of the twenty two divisions meant to defend the capital now trapped in German-held Bornholm.

Having read enough, Stukov pulled a matchbox from his pocket. Using his body as a shield, he lit a match and set the reports to the flame. Holding them up, Stukov watched as the flames grew and spread over the paper uncontrollably. When the fire had all but consumed the reports, he let go. The smoldering reports immediately flew off into the sea, spreading ashes over the water.

Stukov smiled. "I couldn't have said it better myself."

So the Frenchies have made a comeback?

GeneralHannibal: Indeed. I'll touch on that subject soon.

-----------------------------------------

wrathofstukov2fa6.jpg

September 14th, 1941

Alexei Stukov gazed out across the battered ruins of Berlin from his vantage point on the top of the Reichstag, admiring the results his years of work had brought him. There was something beautiful and altogether fascinating about the war in the grand scheme of things Stukov could not quite articulate. It was a palpable feeling; an urge to impose upon the world his grand vision of a new world order and to make an indelible mark on history.

The men and women who had poured their hearts and souls into this effort of his, countless thousands and millions, would be forgotten in the endless flow of time. No matter how historic the occasion, history would not long remember who those people were. Their efforts would be absorbed into the whole.

But Stukov knew that he, for what little tangible impact his actions had caused, would never be forgotten now. History would always remember the man who had brought on a second great war to the world. Hero, villain, savior, or murderer, regardless of his title, Alexei Stukov would live on.

Immortality.

Stukov turned, to find Marshal Voroshilov waiting expectantly for him.

"Thank you for taking the time to speak with me," Stukov said, stepping away from the ledge and toward the general. "General Zhukov is regrettably far too preoccupied at the moment."

Voroshilov half-smiled. "With such rapid progress, he will not be busy for much longer, I imagine," he admitted.

Stukov looked at Voroshilov, a strange glimmer in his eye. "I'm sure I can find some more battles for our esteemed general to fight." It quickly faded away into his normal facade of congeniality. "But enough of my rambling. How goes Bornholm?"

Voroshilov grimaced. "The Germans are stubborn about it. They keep getting reinforcements via Copenhagen. The navy is not strong enough to blockade the island effectively."

"Unfortunate," Stukov replied. "I will have to recommend a new naval programme once resources become available."

Stukov paused before continuing: "Did you have a chance to look over comrade Proskurov's intelligence reports?"

"I did," Voroshilov nodded. "The French are making remarkably swift progress now."

"How swift?" Stukov asked quickly.

Voroshilov shrugged doubtfully. "With Brussels under occupation? The whole of the Low Countries could be reclaimed from the Germans in a week, maybe two."

"Should we be concerned?"

"I imagine you haven't read Golikov's report from Strasbourg," Voroshilov ventured a guess. "Based on what he's seen, the French are only gaining ground because Himmler's throwing everything he has left at us instead."

Stukov nodded in understanding. "With the Germans in full retreat, the French should offer little resistance."

"Disregarding casualties, I would hazard to predict being in Paris by the end of the year."

Stukov smiled ferally at this. "That is... excellent news, comrade. In that case, I will not preoccupy you with further questioning. Thank you for your time. Perhaps next time, we will meet atop the Eiffel Tower."

SS25.jpg

The German Army crumbled beneath the Soviet onslaught​

Darks63: Today Germany! Tomorrow the world!

Guangxi: I would certainly enjoy finally removing those pesky Brits from the Asian continent.

---------------------------------------

In one of the great progaganda coups of the Soviet war in Europe, the sight of Red Army tanks making their way into Paris at the head of a massive armed force on the night of Christmas Eve was the greatest Stalin could hope for. So ended what was considered by most Red Army veterans to be a great game. The goal: to reach Paris by Christmas. Competitions had been running between various Soviet armies and generals over how many cities, prisoners, or equipment could be captured. Races were encouraged. Rather less savory or moral games were, while not sponsored publicly by Moscow, also in full swing.

In the midst of this unmatched revelry and celebration, it is best to pause for a moment and consider just how this situation came about. For years, it was inevitable that Western Europe would be occuppied by a foreign power; yet, the question of which power would take the prize was very much in question. Yes, the myth of the Red Army's invincibility, and the inevitability of Soviet victory in Western Europe, is just that: nothing more than a myth.

Unquestionably, Nazi Germany bit off more than it could chew when it recklessly charged into a war with the Allied Nations and the Soviet Union. Yet, the same could be said for the Soviet Union as well. Stalin was faced, eventually, with a four-front war, with the menace of Japanese intervention ever present. While only the war with Germany in Europe was of any major signficance, no one front could be neglected entirely without serious repurcussions. Further, it was only recently that the Great Officer Purge had ended. Critical command positions were still being filled by brand new generals and the organization of the army was hampered by the chaos resulting from the emasculation of the Red Army officer corps. Artillery was in short supply and often outdated. Tanks were rarities and almost too valuable to risk losing in battle. Thus, when the Soviet Union marched into Germany, they did so in inadequate quantities, undersupplied, disorganized, and often times incompetently led.

Therein lies the clearest proof that Germany's generals either lack comprehension of grand strategy, history, or the courage to stand up to an a civilian leader with delusions of granduer. When the Soviet Union entered the war, their armies lumbered across the Polish frontier with alarming lethargy. Meanwhile, German army groups were well on their way to Paris, after a 'blitzkreig' through the Low Countries no one in the Allied command anticipated. France was on the brink of collapse. Her armies had been dealt awful blows and her already weak-kneed leadership was very close to admitting defeat.

And, at this critical juncture, Hitler chose a plan doomed to failure: diverting part of the Wehrmacht already committed to France to stave off the Soviet onslaught - all with the approval and consent of Germany's generals. The rest is history; France rallied and staved off immediate collapse, and the Soviets, bloodied from their 'June Disaster', prepared to radically reform and restrengthen the Red Army. The Red Army only managed to hold the paltry German-Balkan coalition force by virtue of sheer numbers. Germany would continue to siphon troops east for the next year and a half, weakening its assault on an ever-weakening France, always keeping a significant part of its army bogged down in northern France. Even when Paris fell, the French were prepared to carry on the fight, repeatedly counter-attacking and beating back the Germans.

Hitler_and_german-nazi_officers_staring_at_french_marechal_foch_statue_june25_1940.png.png

Hiter would tour Paris and even the Great War armistice site in Compiègne, but the French
would stand defiantly against the strain of the German and later Italian invasion.

A week, perhaps two, would have been all the Germans needed for France to capitulate. The Soviets, as weak as they were two weeks earlier, would only be that much deeper into Germany, their southern flank dangerously exposed. Rather than facing a fraction of Germany's army just outside Berlin, the Red Army would suffer the full force of the dreaded Wehrmacht. Rather than halt the German counter-offensive in Poland, Stalin would be fortunate to halt the Germans at Smolensk, the road behind littered with the broken remnants of the Soviet invasion force.

It is possible that the Soviets would have been able to undo these reversals, but it would by no means be a certainty. Within a year of the 'June Disaster', though, it was too late. The Red Army was unstoppable. Only in the fall of 1941, with no reasonable hope left, did Hitler finally throw everything he had at Stalin's legions. And all that accomplished was to give France the oppurtunity to march its decimated divisions into the Low Countires. And within two months, all that territory recovered was again under enemy occupation.

SS26.jpg

The war was by no means over - Italy, Portugal, Finland, and the rest of France remained - but there was nothing short of divine, or American, intervention that could prevent Soviet conquest of Western Europe. The fact that one of Stalin's deadlines was actualy met ahead of schedule - or even on schedule - showed how much the situation had deteriorated for the Allies. Now, with the possibility of actually losing the war gone, a new, internal struggle began to rise to the surface...

Things are looking very bad for the French...

Marchalk_Zjukov: Konev and, I suspect, Stukov, are very different than they were in the original. I do not believe you have much to fear of any army mutiny, this time around. ;)

GeneralHannibal: You know, things have been bad for the French since right after the invasion of Iraq.

-------------------------------------

Since his rise to power in the Soviet Union in 1928, Joseph Stalin ruled the state with an unprecedented ruthlessness and iron grip. No part of the government or military was beyond his control or influence. His authority was absolute, and his decisions final. Questioning orders almost always meant death. Failure as well. Popularity meant death and obliteration. Beneath the political genius that allowed Stalin to reach such lofty heights lay a paranoia of startling proportions. Enemies were destroyed immediately. Potential enemies were destroyed immediately afterwards. Loyal followers who might one day become potential enemies soon followed.

Paradoxily, war with the Allied and Axis nations, and the possibility of a Soviet defeat, weakened Stalin's power more profoundly than any internal catastrophe could. Stalin and the Soviet Union needed generals who could win battles and politicians who could keep the state running, not blunderous yes-men and sycophants. It was in such a way that Alexei Stukov escaped what would have been certain destruction for the 'June Disaster' only a year or so before; Stukov was too valuable an asset to dispense with. He was simply relegated to an uncritical administrative position until further notice. And even as the unimpressive commissar of Warsaw, Stukov still managed to prove his worth, proposing a plan for the encirclement of Czestochowa that would start the Soviet Union's inexorable march through Central Europe.

With his power and prestige salvaged, Stukov once again returned to his familiar activities: insinuating himself into the pre-existing power structure and conniving to strengthen that position further. With Stalin's grip over the political realm virtually absolute, Stukov had little choice but to associate himself further with the military aspect of the war. While Stukov's legitimate position inside Russia was relatively unimportant, the influence the man commanded far outstripped what a provincial governor and vice-commissar of the NKVD should have rightfully expected. Relying upon his past opposition to Stalin's bloody Officer Purge and friendly contacts with many surviving officers, Stukov managed to achieve something that without a war would have brought on Stalin's wrath long before.

By the fall of Paris, Stukov had constructed around himself the closest thing to a political faction one could have in Stalin's Russia. Backed primarily by the Red Army, Stukov's faction drew much of its power from the popularity of generals earned in their exploits in the war against Germany. Principal amongst these generals were Georgi Zhukov, Ivan Konev, and Konstantin Rokossovsky. Each was a hero of the Soviet Union and popular with the masses of Soviet citizens, as well as commanders of large, experienced armies. But Stukov also managed to retain, if only marginally, some power within the vaunted NKVD itself. Sergei Uritskij, Commissar of Security, who owed his job to Stukov's recommendation, was technically in charge of the NKVD, evidenced by the small but formidable NKVD bodyguard Stukov possessed constantly. Today, it is still unclear if this was all an intentional attempt to usurp Stalin's power for a future coup or takeover, or simply an attempt for a group of like-minded individuals to unite and protect themselves.

Alexi.jpg

Alexei Stukov emerged from the war as a potential rival to Stalin.

Stalin, of course, was by no means powerless as this was happening. In power now for over a decade, Stalin had firmly established his presence within the Soviet government. To most people, he was the heir to the god-like Lenin and a heroic figure of the Revolution. His rule of the Soviet Union was legitimate and, in spite of its bloody excesses, popular. With the exception of Sergei Uritskij, almost all of the Soviet civil authority was loyal to Stalin - often chosen for said loyalty in the first place - and the NKVD, headed by Beria, was his to exercise with free reign over the people. The media and the voluminous propaganda were at Stalin's fingertips, as well. His influence was still present in the Red Army as well. Marshal Kliment Voroshilov, the highest ranking Red Army officer still alive, was steadfastly dependable.

Masoleum-gorky_kaganovich_molotov_voroshilov_stalin_kalinin.jpg

The core of Stalin's base: Kaganovich, Molotov, Voroshilov, and Kalinin

While the war raged, neither 'faction' could afford to move against the other without risking disaster consequences on the front. Stukov's generals were needed to lead the armies and Stalin's administrators were needed to keep the economy running. Winning the war was considered vastly more important than any petty political struggle. Power would simply have to be shared, or else risk being taken away completely by the Germans or Allies. Regardless, the war improved Stukov's position in a potential rivalry far more than Stalin's. All Stalin could hope for was to minimize his own lose of influence, whereas Stukov would try and maximize his gain.

The fall of Paris on Christmas Eve of 1941 was more than just a sign of France's inevitable military defeat; it was a sign that the need for unity was past. Even political chaos inside the Kremlin would not stop the Soviets from crushing France's beleaguered forces. To this end, Stalin had urged his generals to advance as quickly as possible, so that the war could be ended at the earliest moment. For his part, Stukov encouraged the Red Army onward as well. The crushing and humiliating defeat of France earned the generals an impressive boost in popularity. And now, with the major phase of the war winding down, Stalin could once again look to reclaim his absolute authority he had unquestionably lost.

Yet, an unusual situation had developed. Neither side was particularly eager or very much capable of attempting to oust the other. If Stalin purged Stukov's party, the Red Army command structure would be eviscerated. The people would wonder at why so many 'heroes' were removed, and at a time when the reliable administration of Uritskij had vanished. And Stukov could not move to overthrow Stalin in a coup without deeply destabilizing the economy and at the risk of popular upheavals in opposition to an illegitimate regime.

The resulting stalemate pleased neither 'faction' leader. Stalin especially. Brooding over this blatant threat to his rule, Stalin could only rage impotently - an insult in and of itself - and begin maneuvering himself carefully into a position from which he could eradicate the threat Stukov posed. Concordantly, Stukov's only hope for survival was to either convince Stalin of his good intentions - not likely, to be terse - or to continually maintain or expand upon his power base to thwart Stalin's ill intentions. The hearts and minds of the people would have to be courted, and the long-neglected navy or air force could be recruited. Even certain Red Army officers, such as Lt. General Popov, commander of the 30,000 Moscow garrison, were still neutral in the struggle. And of course, the newly conquered peoples of Europe could provide an excellent base of support. Just like Julius Caesar, Alexei Stukov could use his newly conquered France for his own, greater ambitions.

Last edited: