• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Banner.png

Part 1

Clemente looked at the town before him. Everything he saw being built, was falling before his own eyes. And he couldn't believe it. Just a few days before, the streets were full of merchants, children playing and people enjoying their lives. Now he saw flames, women being raped, houses being plundered. And the barbarians that were the cause of it. There was no other word for them. They were like a locust. Destroying everything in their way. He blinked, but they were still there. With a grimace on his face he went down the stairs and joined his men in front of the gate outside of the palace. He looked at the bronze doors before him.

He unsheathed his sword and turned to his men, 50 most elite guards of europe. The palace guards. The Kokkinokranoi, the Red Helmets, the best soldiers that the Romanion had to offer. Hand chosen by the emperor for their brilliance. "This is the time we were waiting for. You can see what that Locust is doing to our city. Soldiers!" He turned back to the gates and pushed them open. Clemente Kosaca, leader of the Palace guard took a deep breath and then let out a roar that his men were waiting for. "For the Emperor!"

Bård couldn't stop his laughter. This was all the great Roman empire could do? His forces barely touched, their armies annihilitated. Another squad passed him carrying riches back to the camp outside. This way the pillaging continued at the same pace. When one squad was full, they returned to the camp, and then fresh people took their place. Everything was going according to plan. The King of England continued his march through the streets, cutting down the occasional peasants that were trying to run away when a sudden noice stopped his walk. He turned around to see a group of soldiers clad in mail with red helmets. So he missed some of them? With a smile he swinged his blade a few times before marching to meet them.

They surrounded him. 5 men with shields and blades, they thought that he was done for. One of them stepped out and the other surrounded them in a circle. They wanted to duel! They made his job even easier. The greek tried to bash him with his shield but Bård jumped right and kneeled, cutting his enemy in the ankles. The man fell on the ground and Bård finished his job slashing his neck. He looked up at the other soldiers. Another one stepped out. Bård smiled, even now they valued their pride more than winning.

His new enemy was armed only with a sword, but Bård could see a dagger hidden by his belt. The greek striked for the head, the king parried his attack and released a counter for his enemies arm. The greek wasn't quick enough. Bårds' blade found the space between the parts of armor and cut his arm clean off at the elbow. A quick Coup de Grace finished the poor mans life. The remaining greeks decided heroism is for nothing if they would all die and all attacked at once. Bård jumped at the one on his right striking with all his might straight at the shield. Just as he hoped the power of his strike made the greek back out for a second. A second that gave him the chance to pick the dagger hidden by the belt of the fallen greek. A quick move and the dagger was in his hand and a second later it was flying towards the second greeks' eyes. The dagger plunged into the greeks eyes. Only two remaining. Bård tumbled back just in time. A greek blade cut through thin air where Bård just was. Quickly up, he charged on the man that tried to kill him with his blade up. The greek covered himself with the shield but Bård strike was too powerfull. The wooden shield shattered under the strike and the blade reached the greek head.

He stood up with a smile of grim satisfaction on his face. His last enemy was standing with his jaw open, looking at the man that killed 4 men in about half a minute. A second later he threw away his shield and charged. Bård just kneeled and pointed his sword towards the soldiers gut. The blade pierced him through. With a kick Bård pulled his sword out of him. His smile never fading.

Clemente looked at the massacre around him. About a hundred of attackers traded for 30 of his men. He was left with 15 men as he ordered five of the guards to try and get out of the city to tell the emperors' brother David, that he had to end the war and come back to Constantinople as quick as he could. Anatolia wasn't much good if he lost the capital itself.

He reformed the circle as he could see another wave was coming. He would rather die than see those men get into the palace itself.

Last edited:
AllmyJames - This young man is certainly hoping for greatness. And it won't be the Turk, but someone else will eventually arive, even if not in London itself, close to England.

Well, I hope I gave B martial score justice with this fighting scene. So any ideas what his martial score is, and what are his traits so far? The ones that will answer correctly will get a Medevial cookie. The ones with the most points at the end of parts (End of CK, end of EU, etc.) will get special prizes.

Devin Perry gets one for his previous guess at the French attacking HRE.

Nah, I'm guessing his martial is 18 or 19. Just finished the whole thing... I'm seeing some familiar faces... :D Who is the Emperor, by the way, that left the Queen of Cities so defenseless? String him up, I say! :)

Iain Wilson - Cruel is right but there are two more. Wrong about the martial.

General_BT - The emperor is fighting the Turk with all his might and is losing. You didn't get the exact martial but you were closer.

Enewald - Pretty much, yeah.:)

Cèsar - Kingdom of Aragon. Welcome to the AAR btw.

Update this evening!

So his martial is 20+? :eek: He's like... evil Basil! :)

Banner.png

Part 2

He drank from the cup and smiled. Even though greeks were useless when it comes to pretty much everything, they knew much of the world of pleasures. The wine was excellent and laughs coming from outside proved that women were not so bad either. Bård threw the cup away and jumped off the altar.

He had to get back to work, the palace still wasn't breeched and it was already three days since they got into the city. Bårds' smile dissapeared and was replaced with a look of disgust. He lost many good men to those filthy greeks. And they were still alive! 10 men and their bloody commander run off seconds after he arrived at the gates of the palace. An even worse fact was that they managed to put the people in a rebellion. Citizens of Constantinople fled to the palace with them. The palace was full of people eager to die for their emperor. But the peasants paid. They had to watch from the walls as the city was put on flames, as the remaining people were slaughtered in front of them. The catapults were to arrive at the morning. They won't be so eager when their families join them. The smile came back and Bård started to walk towards his tent. It was positioned on a hill so he would get a better viev. And it will be a view to remember. The greeks might build big buildings, but for a flame a building is a building. No matter how big it is.

Clemente looked. He looked and he still couldn't believe it. He knew they were barbarians. They slaughtered entire families in front of the walls. But this? This, he didn't expect. He could see the looks on the faces of men around him. They couldn't believe it too. Clemente closed his eyes. He could feel a tear coming down his cheek. He turned and started to walk. Someone had to tell the emperor.

HagiaSophia.jpg

Bård wanted to break Constantinople and bend it to his will. And he would stop at nothing to achieve it.

When the siege equipment arrived next day, the final part of Bårds' diabolical plan came to life. The catapults were loaded with the bodies of slain citizens. This happening just after the last nights fire made the people inside open the gates of the palace after less than 2 hours since the start of the grotesque "rain". The remaining soldiers were given to the english soldiers by the people. Bård continued by executing all of them. Both the soldiers and the people that ran to the palace. After making sure the city is secure and he has his back covered, Bård took his most elite soldiers and marched into the palace. After they secured it, one last day would be spent in Constantinople before they returned to England with the riches.

Last edited:
Wow. Bård is certainly someone you don't want to get on the wrong side of. Which apparently you can do just by being rich.

I'm going to guess the martial skill is...24! Is there a diabolical genius trait?

I wonder how the Pope will react to Bard looting and pillaging a holy Christian city...

Ooh, diabolical! I love it. I love a tale of Byzantines defeat almost as much as a tale of Byzantine greatness.

WoW, that's a lot of posts!

AllmyJames
- Wrong again... But I don't want you to guess what number between 20-24 it is, Bårds martial score is 22. And every king needs something to boast about. Imagine him at the parties. "I conquered Constantinople. Am I cool or what?"

Iain Wilson, Qorten, Enewald - Unfortunately Bård isn't just evil. He's also smart which is a dangerous combination.

General_BT - If there was a trait "Lucky" Bård would have it. You will find out why in the next update!

Mr. Capiatlist
- Oh, there will be more of "interesting" sieges. You can count on that.

Update coming today!

Banner.png

Part 3

As he walked through the corridors of the palace, Bård looked in awe at his surroundings. Constantinople was rich, Hagia Sophia was a treasure vault, but this? He wondered why the floor itself wasn't paved with gold. Those thoughts came back a while later when he opened the doors to the throne room. The floor was paved in gold. And so were the walls. At the back of the room, a great golden throne stood. It was immense, and on the top of it, a gold life-size eagle stood. It's wings spread wide, eyes made out of diamonds. And on the throne sat the most powerfull man of the Orthodox faith.

Emperor Zeno Komnenos. Son of Demetrios Komnenos, the Megas. A man that crumbled under the expectations put onto him. That's what he would be called. He was expected to defeat the Turks. But who could knew that after being almost completely wiped out by his father, they would come back with their number doubled. He was forced to send all armies of the Romanion east. And they were loosing. Zeno closed his eyes. And now Constantinople itself was breeched by foreign aggresors. This was the end of the Empire. He opened his eyes and raised. "How dare you attack the city of the emperors?! Who do you think you are?!" He roared in latin looking at the fur-clad man in front of him. "I don't care..." The imperial blade cut an arc in the air. Storm never failed his father, he just hoped it wouldn't fail him.

Bård looked at the man before him, swinging his sword around. He could tell that greek knew what he was doing. Another annoying fact was, that his enemy was clad in armor, and not imperial robes as he previously assumed. His raised his own sword and looked at it. His enemy was better equiped. He started to cut eights in the air and slowly move towards his opponent. The emperor slashed from the left, Bård blocked it and made a counter, but it was blocked. They jumped away from each other and started to circle themselves. A screech came from behind them, the greek looked away for a second. And it was in that second that Bård struck. A quick blow for the knee which could end the fight in a second. But the greek proved to be smarter than he thought. The moment of distraction turned out to be a ruse. The imperial blade was coming towards Bårds face before he could realise it. The blade cut a long line through the left brow and cheek. But the moment of respite the emperor thought would come, didn't. Bård threw away his sword and smashed onto his enemy with his body. They fell on the floor as Storm flew away.

Bård gathered his strength, and in his bloody rage punched his enemy in the stomach. The blood was covering his eyes, making him see everything in red. But he could see the glitter on the left of him. He jumped for the blade as his enemy stumbled back. He grabbed the sword and turned around to face his opponent. The greek was looking at him. A sad smile on his face, he kneeled down and closed his eyes. "I have failed the Romanion, the Komnenos' and everyone else that counted on me. The blade of the empire is held by a foreign enemy." Zeno spoke in greek. "I just hope you can forgive me and grant strength to my brother David, so that he can take back the empire.".

Zeno opened his eyes and saw the barbarian swinging Storm at his head.

Bård was angry. He was hit in battle. The first time someone managed to hit him in a real fight. His face was scarred...But that wasn't important now, the palace was already cleaned out, he gained the finest blade in Europe and now the last part of the plan would commence. Bård put on the crown. He took a deep breath as his men raised the shield he was standing on. They stepped outside and Bård looked before him. His soldiers were on the sides of the road. Noone was left alive in the city, so only his soldiers were present at the triumph. Sægrim now dressed in the finest silk Byzantium had to offer roared so that everyone could hear him. "All hail Bård, first of that name, Emperor of the Roman Empire!" The people kneeled as he was carried on. Bård smiled, he defeated the Roman Empire.

Brd-Constantinople.jpg
Bård in robes of the Emperor​

He couldn't believe his luck. Just an hour before his sentries spotted the Roman armies, a caravan of muslim traders was intercepted by his forces. Muslim bodies were dressed in Saracen armor and scattered in front of the ruins as were the fallen greeks, some of them dressed in saxon armors. When David Komnenos arrived at the head of victorious Roman armies, he found a city burnt to the ground, around 30 thousand saxon soldiers, and a battlefield scattered with saracens, saxons and greeks. Constantinople was no more.

Last edited:
Wow. Great scene. At least Zeno put up a good fight. I wonder if this is the end for the Empire itself now.

Iain Wilson - Bård is one cold SoB. There's nothing more to say.

AllmyJames
- The Roman empire is dead. But another empire, a weaker one, will probably take it's place. Remember there's still David, a great Greek general.

Update coming today or tommorow. Also there is a clue to the contents of an update soon-to-come in this post.

EDIT: Sorry for the update being almost a week late... All I can say is - Assassin's Creed 2 is a very good game.

Last edited: