• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi, I've just finished reading through this and it is a very enjoyable read. I like the way you've added your own changes to the game by creating the Baltic Order itself and in the various events you've added. (the chaotic war between the Order, Prussia and the Pope a while back was a real joy to read)

The Order has done well to remain intact up to this point, with the repeated wars and the constant internal pressures pulling trying to pull it in various directions. It will have to change someday- I can't really imagine a semi-secular not-overly-religious-any-more order surviving indefinitely but when the time for change comes it will not be pretty. (even compared to the garden parties that conclaves so regularly are)

Von Keefe seems to have brought the order back from the brink and it would be a shame (though not entirely unexpected) if he did not get the recognition he deserves. His reforms appear to have succeeded largely because no one really took him that seriously but he proved to be surprisingly shrewed, keeping the conclave for an extensive period so no one could be bothered to debate his plans. Very cunning. :)

Von Keefe's new charter will indeed face many challenges to come as many in high places appear to want it removed or wish to use it for their purposes, although they may be disregarding the views of those under them.

Von Mecklenburg doesn't know when to quit does he? I can see him coming to a bad end, much like von Danzig did about a century ago. At the very least he really needs to work on his speechwriting. ;)

Hey folks. Yes, I'm alive. As you may have seen in 'Resurrection' I finally resurfaced yesterday.

The past month or so has been hectic. Actually my life has been pretty hectic for awhile now. In the last month, though, a ray of sunshine peeped in. I've found someone I'm rather fond of and that ate up a lot of my time.

However the Knights have never been far from my thoughts, nor have you. I was surprised (shocked) how quickly everything fell back into place for this last piece. I hope you enjoy. With a little luck, we're back :)

Chief Ragusa: Yes, Adolf is here to cause trouble. As you say, he's used to a completely different style of rule and elections. He can't fathom that the Knights are at least TRYING to be fair.

Von Keefe may have saved the Order. As you say, though, his tactics set terrible precedents for others trying to 'save' the Order for their own purposes.

Draco Rexus: Von Keefe's death was untimely. The Conclave pretty much went along with his reforms...but much was left unsaid or unconfirmed. Rather than hard-and-fast-rule much of it falls under accepted-precedent. Whether that will be enough will be left up to his followers.

stnylan: I don't know if von Keefe foresaw this. I think he hoped to live a few more years and confirm everything. Second, he thought (and it should have been) it was obvious that von Habsburg was elected BEFORE his reforms. Of course, maybe he hoped the young man would take the high road.

Fulcrumvale: You're the one who likes internal conflict!

J. Passepartout: As you say, the charter ... if it can hold ... can save the Order. It has enough safeguards in place to make changing the Order's core structure next to impossible, which is what the old guard wants. It also gives enough concessions to the Baltic League to win their support and stop their constant harassment. As for the peasants...bah, who cares about them? :)

Karasuman: Well, I gave you plenty of time. Did you catch up? :D

grayghost: Mecklenburg needs to be dealt with. He doesn't have the Order's interests at heart - at least von Reval, Spanheim and Habsburg THINK they're helping. The tension was pretty easy to build, because *I* wasn't sure where they'd wind up til the end. :)

dublish: Update coming now :)

Zhuge Liang: Hello again :) I'm glad you're enjoying it. Yes, I've added my own events and moved things around in the game. It's a lot of fun, though you probably saw my two posts where the event files revolted against ME. :)

The Order...you know, I've expected them to change a few times already, but there was always a hero of the hour that pulled them back from the brink. Von Keefe for example started as a throwaway character in that scene where von Strichlund died, then went on to completely rebuild the charter. Even this last chapter, after so long away, didn't end where I thought it would. The characters really have ideas of their own.

So I don't know. Every time I expect them to fall, they come roaring back. the Knights of Malta survived until the Napoleonic Wars as a political state. Maybe the Baltic Cross is going for the record. :)

smallbalticin4.png

-= Interlude 10 =-

Marienburg, Baltic Order
June 1, 1626

Two horses paced over the crest of a small hill. They were much the same size, smaller than the great destriers of centuries past but still formidable, and paused to rest. A cool wind ruffled the black steed's fur and he bobbed his head agreeably. The brown sidestepped closer as if to share a great secret.

Their riders were large men who'd rarely known hunger. The first, leaning forward to calm his horse, was in his early thirties and well-tanned, the result of a very active life outdoors when duty didn't drive him to a desk or pulpit. Brown hair fell across his collar and shoulders as beads of sweat dotted his forehead. He wore the full regalia of the Baltic Order - a black and red iron cross on white tabard, belted at the waist and carrying a sword he had no intent of using. He'd finally abandoned the wool red cape that identified him as a senior officer in the Order. The Hochmeister's ring, however, white, black and red on a gold band, would not leave his finger while he lived.

His companion had just passed fifty. His black hair faded to grey at long last. This he wore short, almost bristly and not one bit touched his collar. He'd fought for much of his life, and long hair in a melee (or on a hot day) was just dumb. He also wore the tabard of the Baltic Order, though otherwise he dressed in white to deflect much of the heat: Even a Muslim could have a good idea once in awhile. He stroked the brown horse's mane and looked at his younger companion.

"It will take some time for the dogs to find anything," said Peter von Habsburg, for in theory this was a hunt. He ignored the squire holding their rifles and the three guards meant to protect them. "It gives us a chance to talk." He scanned the trees intently then glanced at his older companion.

"Yes, Hochmeister," Grand Marshal Konrad von Spanheim replied.

"How do you see our current situation?"

"With Komtur von Mecklenburg?" Von Spanheim shook his head. "I wish the Hochkomtur lived a little longer. Just a few more months and there would be no more resistance to his revisions."

"You think not?" Von Habsburg smiled. "There will be resistance so long as one man thinks he may benefit. How do you think laws change, Marshal? A king decides it no longer works and makes it so."

"Or a conclave," the Marshal noted firmly.

Von Habsburg didn't reply. The history of the Teutonic and Baltic Orders were full of men who'd simply thrown out what they didn't care for and accepted any repercussions. Why should he be different?

"Hochkomtur von Keefe offered stability," von Spanheim added. "I hope we may have it."

"Amen." Von Habsburg lifted his hand sharply, but it was only geese - not an excited dog. He studied the older man. "I believe von Mecklenburg's assertions threaten this stability. What say you?"

Immediately following Ernst von Keefe's death, the Komtur of Mecklenburg published his belief that the Hochmeister should honor von Keefe's reforms, which included a new election for grand master if the winner won with less than six in ten votes. Von Habsburg replied that said reforms didn't exist when he was elected, and so didn't apply to him.

"Agreed, though..." von Spanheim began.

"Though?"

"It would not hurt to summon the Conclave and let them say he is wrong."

Von Habsburg glowered. "You know how hard it is to summon one. How far men must travel."

"Yes, but they will be reassured to know they have a voice. That they..."

"Can interfere in a lawful succession? Come, Marshal. You know what happens next. Our enemies will be lining up with this or that excuse to invalidate the vote: a vote that nearly ended in bloodshed if you'll recall! We would be having the Conclave stepping in constantly for the rest of our lives, and sooner or later they'd throw it out just to make von Mecklenburg be silent. No, you do not try to appease men like him. Better to spit in their eye."

"Yes, but there are men who support you now, who may wonder why you won't ask for support." Von Spanheim tilted his head. "You do realize you'd win. Easily."

"I've already won."

"Yes, Hochmeister. But consider: Von Mecklenburg lost face last time. He will lose more if others see you as reasonable and him as a man trying to disrupt the Order. Who else will contest the election? Komtur von Reval? He represents the Baltic League as Tressler. I don't think he'll chance losing that."

"And you?" von Habsburg demanded.

"We made a deal. I consider it binding on us both."

The Hochmeister grimaced, remembering the Marshal's words two years before: If Komtur von Habsburg will withdraw his proposal for a hereditary komtur and council, then I offer him my sword. "Even if we accept Hochkomtur von Keefe's ambitions, it should be obvious they didn't apply to that election. He spoke of his plans aftewards. Further, for von Mecklenburg's claims to have merit he would have installed me as Hochkomtur until this new election could be held."

"It was not his intent," the Marshal agreed. "How often does God place us where we had no intent of being? Hochmeister, don't look at this as asking them to confirm your rights. Look at this as a chance to destroy an enemy."

Von Habsburg stared at him. Then, in the distance, dogs bayed and horns sounded. The squire nudged his horse towards his masters, breathing hard with excitement.

"Come, Marshal. The game is afoot!"

I think i've decided... Whatever von Habsburg is up to, I'm for it! The Baltic Order needs reform to survive, and to streamline its administration!

Thanks for this wonderful update Catknight, i look forward to seeing where your Baltic Order shall go :)

-maximilliano

Very interesting update Catknight. Both von Habsburg and von Spanheim make good points: allowing von Mecklenburg an outlet for his views could be a dangerous precedent... or he could just make a fool of himself again. :)

If von Mecklenburg continues push for a Conclave then von Habsburg would do well to remind people of his previous views on the matter.

Adolf Friedrich von Mecklenburg said:
Voting for one's lord and master. How ridiculous are you!?
:D

So von Hapsburg summons the Conclave as Hochmeister. The Hochkomtur left two issues unresolved or wit hthe potential for trouble. The first is that the principle of no hereditary succession is not written into the Charter. Since many knights and lords have enjoyed hereditary rights, some may argue that their position is weakened should a non-hereiditary Hocmeister by established.

Secondly, the Conclave will sit in perpetuity and in charge if no candidate secures the requisite vote as the next Hochmeister. The time a Conclave has to choose a successor must be limited - from the traditionalist position.

Many of the traditionalist camp would wish to keep the old Catholic ways where knights administered land for the Order and not their families.von Spannheim may be trying to position the Conclave to adopt a non-hereditary position for the Order. In short, he gives no weight to promises.

Von Mecklenburg definately has to go. Although I can see some of Von Hapsburgs reservations, the conclave must be called.

Interesting politicking.

I'm just happy CK's back. Now, update again! :D

Maximilliano: Ah, a von Habsburg fan. He's going to need them REAL soon.

Zhuge Liang: Good point. von Mecklenburg overtly said he didn't approve of Conclaves. He should keep his mouth shut.

Chief Ragusa: You're right, non-hereditary is not written into the charter. Von Keefe intentionally left that blank. Whether it'll come back to bite someone...maybe. You're wrong about the Conclave sitting in perpetuity though. There are, IIRC, five rounds....by then SOMEONE will at least have simple majority. If he doesn't make 60%, then the Conclave won't meet again for four years.

The biggie von Keefe missed, perhaps intentionally, is the Hochkomtur can REALLY throw a wrench into the election if he wants to. Von Keefe's efforts to save the Order established nasty precedent for delaying or even refusing a vote. That needs to be dealt with.

grayghost: You would think so.

stnylan: Thanks

J. Passepartout: A murder might have made life simple. Two murders would have made life VERY simple. Alas after von Salza's death the Order's really touchy about this.

dublish: OK!

smallbalticin4.png

1626-1628

LII: Confrontation

Peter von Habsburg was an astute man, so it surprises many historians that he did not call a Conclave to deal with Adolf Friedrich von Mecklenburg's presumptions. Most agree with Grand Marshal von Spanheim that the former duke lost too much face to effectively fight the Hochmeister. Anyway such a Conclave would be favorably disposed to confirm Hochkomtur von Keefe's reformations and, since his intent seemed to be to have von Habsburg succeed without further incident, the election.

That, Peter von Habsburg believed, was the problem.

Allowing the Conclave to decide on the legitimacy of his claim confirmed what Baltic Knights knew from their earliest training: That a Hochmeister ruled by the will and authority of the combined knight-priests of the Order. This didn't suit von Habsburg's vision of converting to a mostly secular kingdom under his guidance. Further, if the Conclave took up the question of von Keefe's plans, then they would gain legitimacy and possible permanency. Though von Keefe never prohibited the title of grandmaster from passing father to son, he made it difficult by requiring a clear majority of voters. Further, the deceased Hochkomtur made it almost impossible for anyone to go in and chance the Charter as many past grandmasters had.

Von Habsburg believed that if he waited long enough, the unconfirmed "reformations" would simply pass out of history. All he had to do then was outlive the major players who understood just how flimsy his mandate really was, von Spanheim and Syrte von Reval, and he could do what he wanted.

It's doubtful Adolf Friedrich von Mecklenburg knew all this: He wasn't the type of man to think ahead, nor did he ever appreciate the nuances of Baltic politics. Still, he'd exposed von Habsburg's greatest flaw: He was an autocrat and didn't like listening to others. He also possibly created another.

Von Habsburg's journals from this time logically analyze the matter, and his actions follow suit. He dealt with the uncertain rumblings of those who wondered if the Mecklenburger had a point after all by appointing Konrad von Spanheim as Hochkomtur. (June 1626: Stab to -2) He also placated nervous merchants (and von Reval) by subsidizing more activity in Luebeck and Danzig and, later, punishing foreign trade interests. (Dec 1628: Foreign Trade Competition Rises: Impose New Tariff: +1 Mercantilism)

Not Quite Exactly

The tone in later entries changes, however. Von Habsburg became absolutely convinced he was right, and therefore anyone who believed otherwise was wrong. Kings ruled by divine right, he argued in his journal, and who was any man or group of men to go against the will of God? He believed von Mecklenburg communed with the devil, and suspected those around him - notably von Spanheim, who he viewed as untouchable and so a threat - of treachery.

By late July he determined to get the Mecklenburger out of the way and commanded the Grand Marshal to move his fifteen banners away from Luebeck. At the time, a puzzled von Spanheim wondered if the Hochmeister hoped to provoke a rebellion. It was worse than that: Von Habsburg planned to abandon him.

Putting off von Spanheim's continued inquiries into why the Order's western defenses kept getting rearranged, on October 7, 1526 the Hochmeister declared war on the city-state of Stettin, Pommerania for alleged seizure of storage ships.

1626nov.jpg

BALTIC, Denmark, Hanover, Saxony vs POMMERN

For generations the Baltic Order left Stettin alone, wary of its forty-five thousand man army. Von Habsburg figured, correctly, that the Pommeranians would try to sneak attack Luebeck and force the Order to the table. He intentionally left the city nearly defenseless, hoping his enemy would be killed in battle or his power base would otherwise be broken. Meanwhile thirty-five thousand men under Rittermeister Tomas Kessinger would siege Pommern itself and take the rich city.

Luebeck came under siege in November. Later that month twelve thousand Hanoverians, unaware of the Habsburg plan, tried to lift the siege and failed miserably. On December 29, Kessinger arrived with a formidable army, annihilated Pommerania's defense force of five thousand, and settled in.

It's about now von Spanheim quietly, unofficially, broke from his master. He wouldn't subject the Order to political strife again, certainly not in mid-war, but he began issuing his own directives as Hochkomtur.

One involved a complaint by the Hohzenollerns of Berlin regarding a corrupt agent miscalculating what the family owed to the Baltic Order. Von Habsburg began railing against the 'ungrateful Berliners.' Von Spanheim had the agent 'promoted' into his personal retinue where he could cause no trouble. (Death and Taxes: Death : +1 Stab, -1 Tax Collector) Throughout the year he continued to cover for the increasingly close-minded, paranoid grandmaster handling problems before his often raving directives could reach interested ears.

In January 1628 the Pommeranians abandoned their siege of Luebeck to try and save their homeland. At this time Hochkomtuer von Spanheim began arguing for peace:

Von Spanheim said:
Whatever they have done to earn our sanction - only God knows what that may be - must be resolved at the table. Should we continue to take Stettin, then we will be the villian of the world. We, who are supposed to be the champions of the Lutheran faith, will be reviled for destroying one of our brothers.

Von Habsburg said:
I am beginning to see that others had the right of you. While none hold you accountable for the death of Hochmeister von Salza, it is apparent your stubbornness and failure in obedience led to great difficulties in his tenure and your pupil's error.

I am aware that you have allowed Hanoverian Rittermeister von Anders the honor of taking Stettin when that happy eventuality arrives. This constitutes treason in time of war. While I will not sully the Order's name by bringing its Hochkomtur to account, I can certainly strip him of duties. You are dismissed.

This was legal, but some would not allow von Spanheim to be discarded. While many acknowledged von Habsburg's directives, others realized that their Hochkomtur was the only reasonable voice coming out of Marienburg. Still no one fought, for both men kept their disagreement out of the public eye as much as possible, but as knights and merchants chose sides the Order split into two factions with seperate commands. It was due to this confusion, not any private agreement with von Spanheim, that Hanover was able to take control of Stettin. (For whatever reason Hanover ended up taking over the siege. Meanwhile, Temporary Insanity of Monarch: -2 to all for 24 months)

At that point the Pommeranians tried to negotiate peace. This proved problematic as Hanover seemed content to let the Order do the talking, and the Baltic Order sent two delegations with vastly different terms. Through clever manipulation of the two factions Pommern emerged with very generous terms. (Pommern pays 100d)

As negotiations continued, Adolf Friedrich von Mecklenburg finally decided to risk the gamble. Pointing to the Order's failure to protect Luebeck and 'adventuring' when they should have expected Pommern's retaliation, von Mecklenburg declared the Hochmeister unfit to lead the Order. He demanded a Conclave and used his personal troops to capture Baltic holdings through his lands. (Mar 1628: Revolt in Wismar) Rittermeister Kessinger received orders to capture the former duke and his family, by force if necessary, and retake Order holdings.

On March 28, 1628 loyalists opened the gates to Mecklenburg and Kessinger entered. A series of pitched battles around churches, guild houses, warehouses, and other offices ended when cannon fired into Mecklenburg Castle. A chance shot soared through a window into the nursery, instantly killing seven year old Sophie von Mecklenburg. She was the lucky one.

The rest of the family was captured, tortured into confessing to witchery, devil worship and sedition, then burned alive.

If anyone expected this to satisfy the Hochmeister's paranoia, however, they would be disappointed. Von Habsburg raised an army of fifty thousand men to deal with von Spanheim's loyalists. Before he could drive the country into a crippling civil war however, something would happen that would surprise them all.

Last edited:
If the Conclave holds five votes. Should they decide they have more pressing business ...

Another gripping tale of a Grandmaster's descent into insanity. A sad, but understandable, end to the House of von Mecklenburg. Such sneaky Pommeranians and the Hanoverains must be wondering whether or not the Order is safe to be allied to.

50,000 troops are rather a lot to deal with an internal foe. It is a paranoid Hapsburg who has raised them and his equally paranoid Austrain cousins will make other assumptions about the use of those troops and declare war.

She was the lucky one. The rest of the family was captured, tortured into confessing to witchery, devil worship and sedition, then burned alive.
Wonderful.

I come back from vacation to this wonderful pit of vipers and intrigue within the Order. Fulcrumvale's "Wonderful" is echoed! :D

I can only wonder how such a promising young Grandmaster fell so far so fast, and how the Order can recover to survive. That it will survive I have no doubt, I just wonder how. And for that I cannot wait to read on. :cool:

The Order continues its dysfunctional promenade. Perhaps they should try anarchy as a form of government - it would be more honest!

That was an awesome update Cat. Fulcrumvale covered it with his one word critique.

Chief Ragusa: You know...that's a very good point (re- Conclave not bothering to finish the vote.) The Hochmeister can control the agenda, but THEY can filibuster all they want.

Fulcrumvale: Thanks! (I think :))

Draco Rexus: As far as falling so fast...well, I hadn't quite planned it that way. I KNEW Peter really wanted a monarchy and was just hoping v Spanheim would shut the heck up, so I knew he didn't really want a Conclave. Then I arranged the Pommern war 'cuz I thought he'd be petty enough to try and get Mecklenburg killed. Then the insanity event came, and it all fit together perfectly. :) Unfortunately it means that, just when I thought the Order was going to calm down, things are about to get ugly again.

stnylan: I'm starting to think you're right... :)

grayghost: Thanks!

smallbalticin4.png

1628-1630

LIII: End Game

No one can be sure what was going through the mind of Peter von Habsburg, Hochmeister of the Baltic Cross through the spring and summer of 1628. He'd raised a formidable army with commanders loyal to him almost equal in size to that controlled by his Hochkomtur and former Grand Marshall. Perhaps he reasoned that since Konrad von Spanheim survived his ouster he would prove immune to any political attempts to remove him. If so this would have meant abandoning the quiet, undercover tactics both men used so far. Neither seemed ready for a formal confrontation with a war on, but they were at peace and perhaps the Hochmeister felt it was time to deal with business.

On May 23, 1628 he issued a general condemnation. Among other things, it blamed von Spanheim for the relatively lenient terms Pommern received in the last war. Interestingly, he also accused the Grand Commander of creating the strategy that led to Luebeck's being sieged and therefore endangering Baltic League holdings. Once more von Habsburg dismissed him.

This time it looked like it might take hold, for without a war there was no urgent need for unity. It even appeared von Spanheim might accept disgrace, for he knew how close the Order came to civil war only a few years before and wouldn't be responsible for starting it. Then...

Surprise!

Some credit von Habsburg, for it would give a benign reason for his sudden recruiting efforts. Also a second war would appeal to the Hochmeister's paranoia and unify the Order behind him.

Others credit von Spanheim with a, frankly, brilliant maneuver that would not only stop the grand master from plunging the Order into civil war, but also guarantee that he would have effective, if not actual control of all the armed forces.

Little evidence supports either of these conclusions though, so we're left with the possibility of chance; serendipity. Perhaps Johann-Georg of Saxony simply decided that, with a von Habsburg on his greatest ally's throne, it was time to take his land back.

1628julhre.jpg

(SAXONY, Hanover, Denmark, Baltic Order vs MAINZ, Austria)

The declaration of war between Saxony and Mainz caught the Baltic Order by surprise, but in a tolerable situation nonetheless. Rittermeister Kessinger moved south as did the Grand Master's levies, which would end up split among the various commands. Von Spanheim himself anchored the center and attacked Moravia, while two new commanders, Rittermeisters von Nassau and von Sambia, would attack the Magyar duchies and Sudetenland respectively. Saxony invaded Mainz, while Hanoverian troops pushed through their allies' territory and attacked Nurenberg on the Austrian west flank.

Just weeks after the declaration, the Holy Roman Empire let the Baltic Knights know just what they thought of Saxony's aggression.

1628june.jpg

The Austrian emperor, Ferdinand II, declared Saxony and Hanover enemies of the Empire itself, while reserving his strongest condemnation to "polluted and diseased line of criminals, a legacy of too many bastards marrying too many whores" and "servants of the Enemy, whose very number is written large on their breasts" known as the Order of the Baltic Cross. He convinced Pope Urban VIII (still a Napolese pawn) to declare the Union 'enemies of all righteous men.' He stopped short of calling for a Crusade, but made it clear that any 'God fearing man' would stand up against these 'agents of evil.' From this point the Austrian alliance, swelled by volunteers, reaffirmed its past title as the Catholic League.

A day after receiving this communique, while giving mass, Hochmeister von Habsburg asserted his authority as head of the Baltic Order, "the champions of Christ," to damn Ferdinand II and Urban VIII to "an eternity of torment....cast off from God's grace and mercy." He reactivated the alliance's former title: The Evangelical Union, and called on God to judge the righteousness of their cause.

The commander of Austria's northern defense, such as it was, was twenty-nine year old Ottavio Piccolomini, Unfortunately he simply didn't have the strength. Most of Austria's army was arrayed along the southern border, under Albrecht von Wallenstein, against possible Turk mischief.

Despite this problem, Piccolomini performed brilliantly. He duelled von Sambia, outnumbered over two to one in August, and won. He simply didn't have the manpower to deal with a massive Protestant rebellion in Tabor, former home of the Hussites, but von Wallenstein appeared in September with reinforcements and crushed them.

In October Kessinger replaced von Sambia and fought Piccolomini at 4-1 odds and lost AGAIN. Meanwhile, thirty thousand men, the first of von Habsburg's mass levy, encountered von Wallenstein in Prague and also lost.

While the two Austrian generals expertly stalled the Baltic west flank, they couldn't counterattack. Further, the piecemeal forces sent to stop von Sambia and von Spanheim were completely worthless. Finally in November Kesselring, supported by the rest of von Habsburg's levy, pushed into the Sudetenland killing Piccolomini.

Albrecht von Wallenstein began preparing a massive counterstrike in Prague to push the invader back out. It's then von Spanheim turned to his lieutenant, Hans von Stargard. Stargard was given every man that could be spared from Moravia, and told to sneak behind enemy lines and attack Vienna itself.

1629jan.jpg

Von Wallenstein had just repelled a fresh attack in January when he received curt orders to bring EVERYONE home to repel von Stargard's advance. This left Prague defenseless, and Kessinger dispatched von Sambia to siege the Bohemian capital.

As the western front collapsed, the east plodded steadily along. Von Nassau completed his two sieges in Magyar lands and moved to Poszony. Von Spanheim seized Moravia and helped there as well as Prague. Kessinger finally took the Sudetenland.

Then, in June 1629, von Wallenstein finally arrived in Vienna with ten thousand men to relieve the capital. Von Stargard only had twelve thousand - not enough to actually take the city, just enough to make Ferdinand II panic and call his army home.

The armies of the Baltic Order and Austria were identical in composition. Von Wallenstein abandoned his artillery, while the knights relied on a quick advance, so this would be a battle of pikemen and musketeers with cavalry skirmishers in front and to the side of the main forces. For two days they picked away at each other, never committing to a decisive action. In the afternoon von Wallenstein gathered his horsemen for what was to be a strike at the Baltic flank. The Order's musketeers rushed to that side. An Austrian nobleman put it thus:

And so this ragged band of miscreants, running pell mell and in the greatest disorder to the sides, in front and even behind their own pike, so that a successful charge must have slain them utterly, fired. A great cloud covered our horse - the heroes and champions of the Empire, fell slain as if by the locusts of hell.... So great was his grief that (von Wallenstein) gnashed his teeth and pounded his chest, screaming before succumbing to torpor and agreeing to withdraw.

Von Wallenstein wouldn't return, for as the Baltic Cross advanced on all fronts a rebellion broke out in Linz led by Catholics angry at Austria's military impotence. As he dealt with that, von Sambia invaded Sumava in western Bohemia.

In October 1629, Peter von Habsburg spoke of the complete destruction of Austria. He promised to restore Bohemia, Hungary and Styria. He also swore to end the 'taint' of the Austrian Habsburgs until only 'purity' remained. This rhetoric alarmed friend and foe alike. Saxony, for one, wanted peace. Sigismund III of Poland worried the Order might try the same thing with them and sternly warned against it. Merchant and noble alike argued that such a 'total' war went against all reason. As for the soldiers themselves, they knew it would take years to actually conquer Austria and they wanted to go home.

To continue prosecuting this war he issued a new series of brutal taxes and levies. Modern historians note that, had he succeeded, the Baltic Order would have become the first fascists as these new demands would have devoted everything to the 'State.'

It did not go through. Hochkomtur Konrad von Spanheim countermanded the order. He had no possible regulation supporting this, but the nobility, almost to a man, cancelled plans to invoke von Habsburg's draconian regulations. Some called for a Conclave, but even von Spanheim said that would be inappropriate in mid-war.

On December 2, 1629 Austria effectively surrendered, offering massive land grants to the Order and Hanover that would all but break their power forever. Peter von Habsburg refused. He cited his previous promise to the 'oppressed' souls in Bohemia, Hungary and Styria and demanded Austria's complete capitulation.

The Order of the Baltic Cross had enough. Hochkomtur von Spanheim left the siege of Prague to von Sambia's command and returned home with twelve men. On December 31, they snuck into Marienburg Castle - some say with the knowledge and support of the castle guards - and imprisoned Grand Master von Habsburg. On New Years Day, 1630, he gave a speech.

von Spanheim said:
Because of this, by my authority and on my own head, I hereby suspend the Charter and Rule of the Order of the Baltic Cross. The Hochmeister has forced my hand, and indeed that of any sane, rational, and above all just man in this realm. We cannot live in fear of what madness may come out of Marienburg, and so today we take back the sceptre and ring of office.

Later that day he accepted Austria's terms for peace.

1630jan.jpg

Nowhere did he discuss when, or even if, he'd call a Conclave. Nor was it quite clear what the Conclave would do if summoned. In the entire proud history of the Teutonic, Livonian and Baltic Orders, no one had ever, ever simply seized power in a coup d'etat.

Many speculated that Konrad von Spanheim, the Order's greatest champion in his generation, had just in fact destroyed it.