• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I always confuse Darkreknown with Doomdark. It was being news to me that Doomdark was not Swedish. But then I double checked the name.

I've been nagging these guys on facebook and reddit to give me a job :p Developing healthcare software is not very exciting lol. But alas Getting a work permit would be difficult.

Paradox is actually in search of a new programmer..
So go for it and check it out your own how it is to be employed by PI.. ;)

Cheers,
Chromos

I'm an engineer that has some software in my background. I would love to work for Paradox in an ideal world. But I don't know Swedish and picking up and moving isn't exactly a small matter. I think there's one example on your staff of someone doing this. How was his experience doing it?

I'm an engineer that has some software in my background. I would love to work for Paradox in an ideal world. But I don't know Swedish and picking up and moving isn't exactly a small matter. I think there's one example on your staff of someone doing this. How was his experience doing it?
I doubt knowing Swedish is a requirement, however it will make it a bit easier to live in Sweden that I wont deny :p

Most game development companies seem to have a very international staff, so I would be very surprised if there is only a single one working for Paradox that moved to Sweden to work with them.

[the] King and I both moved to Sweden for jobs here, and one of our programmers is Polish (although I think he lived here already). Publishing is even more international. Most of us know a little Swedish (very little in my case :p ) but it's not needed in the office except for eavesdropping. Moving countries is a bit of a pain but nothing too bad, I had to spend a couple of mornings in the tax office and bank to get things setup.

[the] King and I both moved to Sweden for jobs here, and one of our programmers is Polish (although I think he lived here already). Publishing is even more international. Most of us know a little Swedish (very little in my case :p ) but it's not needed in the office except for eavesdropping. Moving countries is a bit of a pain but nothing too bad, I had to spend a couple of mornings in the tax office and bank to get things setup.

What is necessary to work in Sweden while you get citizenship? It would be an incredible honor to work for my favorite game studio. It can't hurt to try :)

What is necessary to work in Sweden while you get citizenship? It would be an incredible honor to work for my favorite game studio. It can't hurt to try :)

Citizenship is a completely different matter.

If you're serious about work however I'd start off by checking out the US embassy website and then googling to see what other people's experiences were. I'll ask Steven our resident Texan to pop in.

http://sweden.usembassy.gov/

/s

From OP's quote: "considering there aren't legions of fresh-out-of-college kids with a passion for peeping up people's behinds" <hmmm>

There are many industries where we still have virtual apprenticeships. Newbies work insane hours for not much pay as the price for getting the experience which allows them to move to saner hours for better pay. It is incongruous to see this in multimillion-dollar projects with apparently professional working conditions, but there is a certain logic to working people until their alternatives are better. It's a function of the industry still being competitive. If we had 2-3 big companies who owned the market, their employees could relax.

That said, I'm glad Paradox is a great place to work and I'm very glad that someone can succeed making games I enjoy.

The core paradox games seem to place more emphasis on coding and superior game mechanics than they do on the 3D.

Hell yea. Flasy flashy crap is useless without a solid core experience. *cough* call of duty *cough*

Btw Sham, ending a note with '/s' usually means /sarcasm, since you can't hear tones over text messages :p