• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jape said:
Slow down Enclave, let's see if he can survive the first few years before he gets delusions of grandeur ;)

I'm guessing the events would be Germany over Memel and the Russians post- Nazi-Soviet Pact

Yep.. should be interestnig either way, given the choice between joining three different alliances. :)

Don't give any sacred soil of the Baltic Republika up to foreign enemies, neither Bolshevik or German.

pjrap said:
You bet he will. And all the leaders. I wonder who will be in Goverment.

BTW about that ethnic German stuf... Now thats a noncence. Only memen had about 35-30% of Germans all other parts had almost none.

Hello BALTIC states dominated by germans? Now why the hack it called Baltic then :rofl:

Ever heard of Balts? now these flaks (Latvians and Lithunian) could be a dominant force here.

Wilnow with Gardin sould be incorporated if you say that there was no Polish-Baltic state war as it was betwean Lihuania and Poland in 1920-1924 when Poland ocupied thouse two provinces.

I believe that Riga would be the most sutable place for a capital. Also build a firtification line of some kind. in fornt of Soviet boarder. Join the finns in their fight for freedom and show what Balts are made of:)

Anyway GOOOOOOOD luck. I failed to make Baltic alliens AAR ones and it didnt even started:(

Eeh, Lithuania didnt have baltic-germans. Latvia and Estonia did, about 5-10% of population was german, and was the ruling class untill 1918, when we got independence, then they were our equals, and left in 1941 because of soviet occupation (Hitler requested it and Stalin accepted)

Oh and, just to point out, this could never have happened IRL, baltic states have little in common between themselves, Estonia is Finnic(Along with Finland), Latvia and Lithuania are baltic. Different culture, religion, different everything ;)
I'm sorry, im just an ultra-nationalist :D

Raudsarw said:
Oh and, just to point out, this could never have happened IRL, baltic states have little in common between themselves, Estonia is Finnic(Along with Finland), Latvia and Lithuania are baltic. Different culture, religion, different everything ;)
I'm sorry, im just an ultra-nationalist :D

Von Uber's Intro.. said:
This was a radical step, and widely believed to be unworkable, but as optimists pointed out: "If it works in the Balkans, it can work here".

:p

Baltic Republika sounds strange, a mix of English and Latvian :rofl:
Baltijas Republika would fit better, imho, though the Estonians and Lithuanians may not enjoy a Latvian name :D

I've thought of doing a similar AAR, though the dates of emergence (and hence impact on worldly affairs) would've been different. seeing as I'm quite interested (as is only natural :rolleyes: ), I'll be keeping an eye on this. Let's see how powerful the Baltijas Republika will become :D

Sifn't have stolen the one from my aar :p
Briva Baltijas Confederacija

although that's just Free Baltic Confederation. Depends if you're up for a commie name in this one :p.

Anyways, you going to mod the events for your new country so it fits in with molotov/rippentrop, as in let germany let you get annexed? :p
Or you going for a more just rush into soviet union with germany.

A hard place to be..

1930 - 1935

1930 rolled around with the Republic enjoying it's unique situation, situated between the reviving Germany and the Communist block. This allowed them to act as a go-between between the two powers, acting as an unofficial middleman to those Nazi businessmen willing to trade with the Boleshviks, and those Bolsheviks willing to trade with the Nazis: money was a universal launguage, overriding all politics. The Republic obviously took it's cut, to the enrichment of all.

The Great Depression affected the Republic, as it did the whole of Europe. Some companies reported job cuts of up to 30%, with numerous small traders going out of business. However, the situation here was not as bad as it could have been. The hated Bolsheviks perversely helped them get over the worst of it, providing a semi-stable market (though still with risks, generally fatal) which helped some businesses to survive.

breadlinepn1.jpg

An impromptu street market in Riga

The wave of unemployment caused a lurch to the right within the political spectrum. What had been a fairly centre-left Government swung to the Right as people became increasingly desperate. Scapegoats were easily found: Communist sympathisers were openly victimised, but those supporters of Nazi Germany not made to feel particularly welcome either. Nationalism began to rear it's head, with small but vocal groups demanding a return to the three seperate countries.

With a slow economic recovery under way as the 30's progressed, tensions eased somewhat, at least domestically. In the foreign field, the Republic began to cast nervous glances not only East, but also to the South. Adolf Hitler, having gained power, began to talk about laying claims to 'historic' regions of Germany - much to the alarm of the Republic. Relations, although still fairly good, began to cool. Wisely, the Government began to look at the security of its borders.

ah50thgoeringhandshakevl2.jpg

Hitler with another Aryan Superman

A series of defencesive emplacements began to be constructed on the Soviet border. Although these largely consisted of a series of bunkers and trenchlines, they were slowly being expanded under the direction of French advisors. The Army too began to recieve new equipment, along with training under the supervision of select members of the German Army, who appeared to have little love for the Nazi heirarchy.

westwall02mi4.jpg

The defences in places consisted of nothing more than concrete blocks

Still, the Republic recognised its inherently weak position. The dilemma facing them was obvious - a twin threat posed by the Soviets and the Nazis, with the Republic likely to be the loser which ever way it jumped. The British, making positive noises about 'Protection' and Independance' were a long way away - what help they could offer in a crisis was deemed of little value, at least in the short term. Nuetrality could offer little hope, except a swift defeat if it came to war.

As 1935 ended, the storm clouds over Europe began to darken.

Last edited:
Von Uber said:
The British, making positive noises about 'Protection' and Independance' were a long way away - what help they could offer in a crisis was deemed of little value, at least in the short term. Neutrality could offer little hope, except a swift defeat if it came to war.
The dilemma of all small nations caught between two giants. It seems fairly clear that the Republic will have to take sides with someone. Sitting on the fence not being an option.

Von Uber said:
Still, the Republic recognised its inherently weak position. The dilemma facing them was obvious - a twin threat posed by the Soviets and the Nazis, with the Republic likely to be the loser which ever way it jumped. The British, making positive noises about 'Protection' and Independance' were a long way away - what help they could offer in a crisis was deemed of little value, at least in the short term. Nuetrality could offer little hope, except a swift defeat if it came to war.

Ally with the Scandinavian countries and form your own alliance. Sweden could give you reinforcements.

Jape said:
You're stuck between Lebensraum-nutbars and Stalin and you're getting military tips from the French.

Good luck :rofl:

:rofl:

It gets worse.. for some reason, my counter sprites have defaulted to Finland :confused:

Anyone know why this is? I have done a counter design for the Republic, but it seems to want to use Finland.. most odd!

I did say i stole it in my AAR :p
You just have to go down the line you see
oh, whoops. misread you there. eh, whatever, I don't really mind :D

as for von uber, the story is being well told. can't wait to see what you'll do with the republic once you're actually in-game.

Allying with the USSR might actually be easier in the long run if you can coordinate with them on a good border defence during the initial stages of the war.

Oh, wait, did I just say coordinate on a good border defence in the initial stages of the war with an AI USSR? Ha-ha-ha! Yeah, right. Perhaps better to ally with the Nazis, and make sure their offencives don't run out of steam. I'm just fearsome that the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact will lead to the USSR declaring war on you along that laughably long land line with surprisingly superior Soviet soldiers, while your fearsome fascist friends fight France. Ah, enough with the alliteration... you really do seem to be caught between a rock and a hard place, so good luck!

Corbett said:
you really do seem to be caught between a rock and a hard place, so good luck!

Von Uber, wasn't your last AAR called "Between a rock and a hard place". It was a German '44 AAR where you BPed the USSR and did sealion right, or am I hallucinating or remembering the wrong person.