• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(134228)

Recruit
1 Badges
Feb 8, 2009
  • Magicka
I noticed this at release, but with all the issues that were around back then, I didn't see fit to bother the devs about it:

Baleyg. We all know him. We've all (indirectly) killed him. But how many have noticed that the Baleyg that we all know and love is actually not the only... Umm... "Baleyg"? If you take the time to speak to all the party-goers in chapter 1, you will surely find the second (or rather, the first) Baleyg, who just so happens to wear a snazzy conical hat. Being the overly social type, I stumbled into him on my very first play-through.

"Baleyg!" I said to him, "Where heck is the cheese? Shams told me you were off fetching some, and you know how violent I get when I don't get my cheddar fix. So tell me... WHERE IS THE FREAKIN' CHEESE, BALEYG?!"

Being a feeble-minded NPC, snazzy-hat-Baleyg proceeded to entertain me with a short snippet of dialogue concerning Grimnir's disciples, completely ignoring my mindless rage and demands for solidified dairy products. Confused and distraught, I left the party without so much as a slice of Gouda.

It was only a short time later that I stood at the foot of the eastern tower, mourning the tragic departure of Baleyg. Worse still was the realization that, with the destruction of the tower's larder, it may be that there was absolutely NO cheese to be found in a twenty-seven mile radius! Overcome with grief, it took all the emotional strength I could muster to steal Baleyg's book of Magick, and bury his body under layer upon layer of summoned Grease. He would've wanted it that way.

As I turned away from the rapidly congealing mess that had become Baleyg's grave, something struck me, like a lightning bolt striking a randy turkey. The man that now lay under seventy-two layers of oily lubricant had not been wearing a hat... snazzy or otherwise. Yet when I saw him at the party, snazzy-hat-Baleyg had displayed his headgear proudly.

"Odd." I said to myself, "Surely if Baleyg had access to the pre-order DLC, he would have wanted to flaunt it, regardless of whether he were attending a party or running an errand at the larder."

Then it hit me. Snazzy-hat-Baleyg and buried-in-grease-Baleyg were actually NOT one and the same! Why else would snazzy-hat-Baleyg have been lounging around at the party, rambling on about Grimnir's disciples, if he were trusted with such a vitally important mission as the acquisition of cheese?!

But then, this epiphany only lead me towards a plethora of unanswered and unanswerable questions. Which one was the REAL Baleyg? Did an impostor die in the explosion that claimed the eastern tower, or was the fake Baleyg now living safely among his unwitting fellows at Castle Aldrheim? If he was, what was the true nature of this impostor? Was he a shape-shifting doppleganger? An evil twin? A cross-dressing drag-queen? Was he a Baleyg from the future, sent into the past to (unsuccessfully) prevent his own death? Is "Baleyg" just a common name in Midgard? Regardless of the truth, these are the type of questions that keep me awake at night.

So... Devs?

I DEMAND AN EXPLANATION!

... please? :(

Disclaimer: Nothing in the above post should be taken seriously, orally, or intravenously. Please consult your doctor before absorbing it's contents mentally or percutaneously.

Shhh... Keep quiet. We don't want them finding out that you know. This coverup goes all the way to the king, man. Did you really think Yellow was killed and came back as Yellow the White? That's what they want you to think.
I've said too much. Sleep with one eye open. They will be trying to silence you soon.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.