• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
More Questions

Hi guys have been taking a look at the ai and have a bunch of rather varied questions, I wonder if any of you could help me out with the answers.

Front identity: for the purposes of force ratios what is this based on?

i.e. Germany has conquered/annexed norway and Sov have assimilated Sweden & finland. When war breaks out which front ratios will the ai use?

Is it possible to allow the ai to modify front ratios and/or garrison priorities interactively?

e.g.
front ratio = 2 * x where x is some measure of threat, such as distance of front from our capital
or 2 * y where y is the number of enemy forces on front or just overall size of opponent

Garrison priorities: How does this work? what would be the garrison distribution if no priorities were set?

The uk has a high priority for the german border yet they share no land border which provinces will therefore be prioritised? closest straight line distance? closest land distance?

related to the above questions the ai script is obviously quasi logic based, but can it read in variables at all? eg would it be feasible to say garrison priority for a border = 2*x where x is the (constantly changing) belligerance of another country

Brigades:
Not all units can use all brigades, but it says the proportions should sum to 100% if i want the ai to build armour with artilery and infantry with engineers is this possible?

Cheers guys am looking forward to being able to move one step closer to modding a kick ass ai.

Lothos said:
Once Light armor reaches their last modle number and can upgrade to medium even if you put 100 to light armor the AI will not build any light armor and again this number gets lost. This is the main reason why in 1.1 the major powers where not build sufficient amounts of armor.

I would assume that the workaround for this is to have an event that tests "tech = xxxx" for the Medium Armor tech to be known. When it is known, switch the AI to build medium armor instead of light armor. Agreed? Also, can we be told if this sort of workaround is needed in 1.2, or if this is tenatively 'corrected' ???

On another note, I am having problems with Master/Puppet Supply. I have set up a UK Split-off situation where India is made a puppet of UK in '36. Things run well initially, but India does NOT get resources needed to maintain 40 IC's of industry. It does not ask for them and/or UK does not provide them. Is there an AI switch I am missing, to do this. I copied the info from SAF, and added IND to the england AI's, but still no dice. I assume this is related to the 'Economics' problem lothos described with Japan and supplies.

Front identity: for the purposes of force ratios what is this based on?

i.e. Germany has conquered/annexed norway and Sov have assimilated Sweden & finland. When war breaks out which front ratios will the ai use?

e.g.
front ratio = 2 * x where x is some measure of threat, such as distance of front from our capital
or 2 * y where y is the number of enemy forces on front or just overall size of opponent

When multiple fronts touch eachother the one that is the biggest threat is used for the entire front. How that weight is determined I have no idea but it is present and in the code.

Garrison priorities: How does this work? what would be the garrison distribution if no priorities were set?

The uk has a high priority for the german border yet they share no land border which provinces will therefore be prioritised? closest straight line distance? closest land distance?

If England has no front with Germany he will simply ignore his front prio for them. This is present in the AI file just in case Germany takes over a country that borders England before the start of the war so the front will be covered.

If nothing is set then it uses defaults in the exe file.

Brigades:
Not all units can use all brigades, but it says the proportions should sum to 100% if i want the ai to build armour with artilery and infantry with engineers is this possible?
No

Is it possible to allow the ai to modify front ratios and/or garrison priorities interactively?

If you mean the AI to determine it withought an event to load an AI file the answer is NO.

related to the above questions the ai script is obviously quasi logic based, but can it read in variables at all? eg would it be feasible to say garrison priority for a border = 2*x where x is the (constantly changing) belligerance of another country

If you mean putting in a where clause like an actual programming language the answer is no

jungkhans said:
I would assume that the workaround for this is to have an event that tests "tech = xxxx" for the Medium Armor tech to be known. When it is known, switch the AI to build medium armor instead of light armor. Agreed? Also, can we be told if this sort of workaround is needed in 1.2, or if this is tenatively 'corrected' ???

On another note, I am having problems with Master/Puppet Supply. I have set up a UK Split-off situation where India is made a puppet of UK in '36. Things run well initially, but India does NOT get resources needed to maintain 40 IC's of industry. It does not ask for them and/or UK does not provide them. Is there an AI switch I am missing, to do this. I copied the info from SAF, and added IND to the england AI's, but still no dice. I assume this is related to the 'Economics' problem lothos described with Japan and supplies.

NDA to both paragraphs (sorry). When 1.2 comes out run your tests again and report back.

Lothos said:
NDA to both paragraphs (sorry). When 1.2 comes out run your tests again and report back.

Gaud... everyone gets their questions answered except me. I gotta get me one of those NDA's... anyone sell them? :p Will report back after 1.2, since it appears I'm getting a laundry list of tests to do. And I thought I stopped "QA" work when I retired from programming.