Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi. I hope what I'm going to ask for is relevant to this thread. It's game-related; however, as this is a publisher issue, I hope it's right to post it here.

Ok, here it goes: Please, Paradox, can you make SotS 2 truly DRM-free?

I've read that the justification is making patch distribution easier. Ok, let's say it's true. Is really that big the cost of a few, slightly different distributions? Anyway, DRM-free is a feature I would glady pay more for. In fact, one of the reasons I buy your in-house games (besides liking the genre, of course) is the honest DRM free thing.

I regret preordering SotS2 now. If you think I'm joking, I was decided to purchase Magicka when it was released... until I learnt it was DRM-ed. To date, I still haven't bought the game (nor all the DLCs, of course) for the exact same reason. That's some lost revenue :unsure:

So, to sum up: any form of DRM = no money from me. I hope you reckon this is an important issue for your user base (just take a look at the forums here and Kerberos) and change your mind (or convince Kerberos, whatever) on this SotS 2 issue!

Thank you!

Hi,

As it currently stands SOTS 2 will only have one version - the steam version. And for practical reasons there won't be an alternative.

We always try to have a non-steam version as well, but we had to make an exception to the rule this time. Hope you enjoy SOTS2 even though it's on Steam.

/s

Hi,

As it currently stands SOTS 2 will only have one version - the steam version. And for practical reasons there won't be an alternative.

We always try to have a non-steam version as well, but we had to make an exception to the rule this time. Hope you enjoy SOTS2 even though it's on Steam.

Is Steam required to run it after installing it?

Hi,

/s

Well, thank you very much for your answer. This kind of direct communication is very much appreciated, honestly.

As I can't return the game now, I'll be probably playing it. However, I won't be spending any money in DRMed games or expansions, Paradox's games included if they happen to be DRMed as in this case.

Again, thank you!

You have to download the game (obviously), but then no further communication is required once the installer program and the related files are in your HD (at least that's my experience with GG with games tagged "no DRM").

Steam installs it just as it finishes downloading... and you dont need steam again(viccy2, sengoku)

If you can play it without Steam once it's installed, it's DRM free. Only being availible through one portal =! DRM. It's not even a Steam exclusive, you can buy it elsewhere, it just gets delivered via Steam.

For PI: What person in gaming history do you look up to the most, and why?

I admire many of the early pioneers. It's hard to pick one, but I'd probably have to say Richard Garriott, creator of the Ultima series. His unique, philosophical brand of RPG was a true landmark in computer game history. Shame it didn't last. Other huge influences include Sid Meier, Mike Singleton (The Lords of Midnight), David Braben & Ian Bell (Elite) and Steven Fawkner (Warlords).

Well, thank you very much for your answer. This kind of direct communication is very much appreciated, honestly.

As I can't return the game now, I'll be probably playing it. However, I won't be spending any money in DRMed games or expansions, Paradox's games included if they happen to be DRMed as in this case.

Again, thank you!
I guess that means you you never buy a PC game again. Registering your Paradox games is a form of DRM you know.

If you can play it without Steam once it's installed, it's DRM free. Only being availible through one portal =! DRM. It's not even a Steam exclusive, you can buy it elsewhere, it just gets delivered via Steam.

My DRM test is: can I download just the installer for the game, do not install it, burn to a DVD, came two years later with that DVD to a computer not connected to the Internet, and install my burned copy happily?

Certainly Paradox's own titles or SotS 1 pass this test, but alas, SotS2 doesn't.

I guess that means you you never buy a PC game again. Registering your Paradox games is a form of DRM you know.

If you mean registering the game in this forums, this is acceptable because (a) it's not required to play the game and (b) it's done only once in my life, not per installation.

If you mean each game, I usually download everything thru GG and I've never had to register anything with them.

My DRM test is: can I download just the installer for the game, do not install it, burn to a DVD, came two years later with that DVD to a computer not connected to the Internet, and install my burned copy happily?

Certainly Paradox's own titles or SotS 1 pass this test, but alas, SotS2 doesn't.

No, you need Steam to install SotS2. You don't need Steam for the other titles. What's your point?

You are only mentioning a restriction to the installer rather than the game. A real DRM test would be: Download the installer, install the game, save the game's files onto a DVD, insert the DVD into another machine, copy the files onto it and run it from there. I am certain SotS2 would pass this.

You are just being needlessly obsessive.

Lucky you. I must provide them with my username and password.

Well, I think he obviously meant he needed to have an account. Although, I do see the hypocrisy in his statements now.

And once again I remind everyone that this is not the love steam vs hate steam thread, there are plenty of those out there.
This thread is for questions to Paradox staff, that cannot be placed in a more apropriate sub forum.