Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
frederick reminds me of alec baldwin, any one else see it?

I thought exactly the same when I saw it!!!! :laugh:

And as you can see in my signature, I know what I'm saying ;)

Question: Have you ever been caught playing a competitor's game? I mean, do you have to sneak Civilization V around when no one is looking? And if people are caught, do you have an interrogation room?

'So you like hexagons, huh?' [presses a lit cigarette into hand]
'Argh! All right, all right! I admit! I am a sucker for fancy graphics.'

I assume King and Johan will be the interrogators.

It's kind of the opposite -

On the dev side we've got folks who've racked up over 250 hours of Civ5. King and Johan also regularly play other games - mostly after work of course.

On the publisher side we almost exclusively play other games. As producers we need to have a good understanding of ongoing trends and innovations in the gaming industry - So Gordon and myself have been researching Modern Warfare 2 for War of the Roses to see if how they handle co-op.

Fred Wester plays 20-30 League of Legends games every week.

So the bottom line is - the more games you play the better game developer you are.

/s

What he is trying to say, is that the interrogation room is just for fun. ;)

It's kind of the opposite -

On the dev side we've got folks who've racked up over 250 hours of Civ5. King and Johan also regularly play other games - mostly after work of course.

On the publisher side we almost exclusively play other games. As producers we need to have a good understanding of ongoing trends and innovations in the gaming industry - So Gordon and myself have been researching Modern Warfare 2 for War of the Roses to see if how they handle co-op.

Fred Wester plays 20-30 League of Legends games every week.

So the bottom line is - the more games you play the better game developer you are.

/s

I think the way the Battlefield games did multiplayer and coop modes are better.

Oh my goodness gracious, I know you know what you're doing, but I can't stress this enough - BF's co-op is infinitely better. Or any other decent co-op game.

Part of me just died. :sad:

Please just say you're working in the dark to serve the light. :p

Apologies if this came in the previous 150 pages :p

Have any of the team played X-Com/UFO: Enemy Unknown?
If so, are any following the development of Xenonauts?

/Now *there* is a game Paradox could take under it's wing and do well from IMHO
//Or just buy the licence and do properly

Question: Have you ever been caught playing a competitor's game? I mean, do you have to sneak Civilization V around when no one is looking? And if people are caught, do you have an interrogation room?

Well, I can't really hide it. In my Steam account it says I have played 122 hours Civ IV. I have to really know what our competition is you know? Plus I'm a sucker for achievements, so I'm a big advocate to put them in more of our games. Also, I just caved in and bought Minecraft.

Well, I can't really hide it. In my Steam account it says I have played 122 hours Civ IV. I have to really know what our competition is you know? Plus I'm a sucker for achievements, so I'm a big advocate to put them in more of our games. Also, I just caved in and bought Minecraft.

I don't know how much I've played Civ4, as I don't have it through Steam, but I have well over 700 hours of Civ5 by now. My gaming is pretty much 80% PI games, 18% Civ, 2% other games.:D

Apologies if this came in the previous 150 pages :p

Have any of the team played X-Com/UFO: Enemy Unknown?
If so, are any following the development of Xenonauts?

/Now *there* is a game Paradox could take under it's wing and do well from IMHO
//Or just buy the licence and do properly

I've been playing UFO:ET for the past week or so. Somewhat interested in Xenonauts, although UFO:ET2 just got delayed to March next year, so they might end up shipping at the sameish time.

I've played some Civ in my days yes :)

When I play games nowadays, its almost only WoW though.

I have to really know what our competition is you know? ... Also, I just caved in and bought Minecraft.
I suppose Minecraft influenced the making of that new MMORPG game, Salem?
And since some staff play CoD, could Paradox make a real FPS in the future? Or is Pdox so focused on RTS technology that it would take time to make FPS games?

Hah! I knew it. It's almost like I released the unreleased Ulm: Flagland comic. Ulm basically talks about the uninspired achievements in Civ5, yet admits he is playing it to get the achievements. Oh, the commentary was hilarious. Only problem was that Captain Gars thought he could have made a better comic.

I've been playing UFO:ET for the past week or so. Somewhat interested in Xenonauts, although UFO:ET2 just got delayed to March next year, so they might end up shipping at the sameish time.

Is there any interest in PI for such a game of your own?
A dynamic impossible to pigeon-hole genre-crossing global defence game type thing :p

I ask as its a famously well loved and good quality game that has yet to be returned to successfully (IMHO), and PI seem to be the go-to company for good strategy these days.

/Unrelated, but assuming your forum profile is accurate, you're exactly a day older than me :p
//weird

Fresh questions to add:
Is there any interest in PI doing a RTS with battle controls (eg, like the Total War series)?
Again asking as (for example) EU provides the meat of a game with solid government work, but TW has the potatoes of getting into the individual battles.

Have you ever considered a cross-genre experiment?
eg CK style game, where you can also drop in on battles/sieges as the Marshal to direct forces, or even saddle up M&B style and wade in personally.
/or a combination of any two of those rather than all 3
//Yes, that is my dream "so much money I can hire a company to build games for me" game

Combining Grand Strategy with RTS? You are not thinking ambitious enough! What about FPS or TPS? Or perhaps some Arcade or Quiz?

Now that is ambition!

Imagine EU3 with minigames.

Imagine: 'Whack-a-Peasant!' An event comes up where some peasant rebels will spring up; now you have three choices; pay 'em off, let them rise or 'handle it yourself', where the minigame initiates. If you win, there will be no rebels, but if you lose, there will be even MORE rebels!

And this is why Paradox Interactive should never hire me.

I suppose Minecraft influenced the making of that new MMORPG game, Salem?
And since some staff play CoD, could Paradox make a real FPS in the future? Or is Pdox so focused on RTS technology that it would take time to make FPS games?

Actually, the developers of Salem had a game before we signed anything, you might have heard of Haven and Hearth? Yeah, I played that too. Mmm.. a good crafting MMO is so much fun!
FPS would require an entirely different engine, and I don't think that is what most of the developers are into either. As publisher you never know though.

Oh my goodness gracious, I know you know what you're doing, but I can't stress this enough - BF's co-op is infinitely better. Or any other decent co-op game.

Part of me just died. :sad:

Please just say you're working in the dark to serve the light. :p

Guys c'mon - first off - have some faith - good game design is all about examining all kinds of games - the good and the bad. Having a holistic approach is always good when you're approaching a genre with lots of competition.

Secondly, don't be fanboys - or reverse fanboys! Stop assuming so much - So you like BF more than MW - that doesn't mean you shouldn't spend hundreds of hours researching MW - in fact we might be researching MW to see where they went wrong. I for instance really don't like World of Warcraft - I really don't - but I've slogged through hours of the tripe to learn more about what makes the game tick and see how I can use the knowledge for the benefit of other games.

Thirdly - and this is getting off topic - the CoD/MW series are amazing and the Battlefield series is also amazing - and they are also completely different games. (we can pick this up in the off-topic if you want) - In this case, war of the roses, we're treading a path right in between MW and BF - so we're being inspired by the best from both worlds.

FOURTH! - Gordon Van Dyke has produced every damn Battlefield game since 2142 - it's safe to assume it's not being left out of the equation.

Finally someone asked if we're considering doing first person shooters - I'll give you my standard answer - not unless they've got a really hardcore feature that sets it apart from traditional shooters and makes it a proper "paradox game". Imagine a FPS with tons of crafting elements (Minecraft is not a shooter) or lots of RPG-elements or strategy elements for that matter. So yes we'd do a shooter - in the same way portal is a shooter.

/s