Armageddon 1.3 Beta 2 (24/04/2009) is now up (general comments/questions only please)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
CRITICAL BUG

I was allied with germany as czechoslovakia and i took over northern italy. treaty. italy is still at war with germany but me and germany are allied.

i take over france. UK sends its mechanized forces over. i herd them in and kill them all.

it sends its reserves. i herd them in and kill them. it sends the last infantry and militia. i herd them in and kill them. they have not 1 unit.

i invade italy who isnt in the allies and puppet them for their fleet. the result is that they join my alliance as my puppet but are allied and at war with germany. all french territory is sent back to france and the divisions i have protecting the shores are cut off in occupied territory. im still at war with france.

wtf. HUGE BUG (italy wasnt in the allies)

Steam/Gamersgate/etc. won't update to 1.3 until it is 'officially' released to them by Paradox.

I can't guarantee this will work.

1) Make a copy of the folder that Steam installed Armageddon into (i.e., right-click, copy, right-click on an un-occupied part of that folder, paste).
2) Rename your new folder to Doomsday (or some other suitable name). (right-click, rename)
3) Download the Beta patch.
4) Open the RAR file.
5) Right-click on the folder in that file and rename it to Doomsday (or whatever name you chose in #2 above).
6) Click on the extract button
7) You should get a dialog asking where you want to extract it to. Point it at the Folder that CONTAINS the Doomsday (or whatever) folder.
8) It should ask if you want to replace files...say yes (if it doesn't you extracted it to the incorrect folder).
9) Go back to the Doomsday (or whatever) folder and right-click on the HOI2.exe file
10) Go to your desktop, right-click on an un-occupied part, and select 'Paste Shortcut'

That should be it, you just use the shortcut you created to launch the game (no need to launch Steam).

Steam uses the following file path to HOI2/ARMA:
***\Steam\steamapps\common\hearts of iron 2 complete pack\Doomsday

To get HOI2 updated,
1. Go here http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797847
That is the thread on the steam forums where someone was able to acquire the steam patches for HOI2, in several different languages. The link still works, I just checked it a few minutes ago.

2. Download the patches you need from the link provided in the post.

3. Install the HOI2 vanilla patches to the hearts of iron complete pack folder, and the ARMA patches to the Doomsday folder.

4. DL the latest ARMA 1.3 patch, (I had to do this, winrar misbehaves for some reason) then manually extract(drag and drop) all of the files into the proper areas in the Doomsday folder.

EDIT: I also always use Steam to start DD/arma, so I don't usually bother with a shortcut.

Last edited:
Hi, I just played Armageddon with the latest beta patch for the first time. I'am playing as Italy and joined Axis in May 1941. I already conquered Greece. Germany did not try to attack yugoslavia so i declared war on them. But the most import problem is, uk is not defending the med-sea. I was hoping for some good naval battles but all i can see with the nofog cheat are some Destroyers and light cruisers. What is going on here, because in my other games with doomsday the british royal navy always gave me good fight. Anyone else sees this behaviour?
Ok perhaps i have to mention that i took gibraltar on the first day i joined the axis. But as long as suez is open this shouldn't be a problem. Just reloaded as uk to see what is going on. They nearly put all their fleets on asw missions :confused:
Strange. Will start a game as Switzerland to see if this happens again.
Nevertheless, thanks fot the latest patch. It really improves the game and hopefully we get the final version soon.

Regards

I agree that the British fleets are basically out of order. I did some modifications for EIR, and managed to get them to be more active in doing things like interdicting the German invasion of Norway -- this was very succesful, actually. I also tried to make them more active in the med.

One of these days I have it in my mind to rewrite the whole British RN system so that it is more reactive. For example, I think they should respond to the Japanese DOW and contest the Malaca straight, but I don't know if I will get around to it.

I also have noticed that they are not very active with their big fleets in the Med, and tried some adjustments to make them more active, but in the vanilla, I think the AI basically shuts down operations in the med when UK does not have the "Attack Italy" flag operational, and so, unless UK has cleared North Africa of Italian forces (the trigger for preparing to attack the mainland) the RN does not contest the Med basically. My impression is that the RN may have been reigned in so that it properly protects the Island from possible Sealion, which is as we know quite easy for a German player to execute.

So, there is a whole set of issues with the British defence, some of which I have resolved, which begin with the failure of the British to defend the Island properly with land forces. The British in EIR defend England with land forces much more robustly, and this then freed more of the RN for other operations, such as running the coast of Norway to intercept German landings and other naval activity. I haven't play tested the Mediteranean tweeks I did for EIR enough to know if my version is more active off the North African coast, sooner.

Let me guess, your situation is that you are holding or better in North Africa?

Also, how did you take Gibraltar on the first day that you joined Axis... through Spain?

Last edited:
Extract it onto the desktop, go into the folder that is created on your desktop, "select all" the contents of that folder, and then copy. Then paste in the main HOI II folder, which is the one with the HOI2.EXE file.

If you are unsure about what you are doing, before doing that, make a copy of the whole contents of the game folder and copy that into a new folder and call it "HOI2_copy" or something, and then follow the above procedure in the new folder. This way you will have 2 copies of HOIII, vanilla and the 1.3b version.

If you do it that way you would have to launch from that folder or make a new desktop shortcut.

I agree that the British fleets are basically out of order. I did some modifications for EIR, and managed to get them to be more active in doing things like interdicting the German invasion of Norway -- this was very succesful, actually. I also tried to make them more active in the med.

One of these days I have it in my mind to rewrite the whole British RN system so that it is more reactive. For example, I think they should respond to the Japanese DOW and contest the Malaca straight, but I don't know if I will get around to it.

I also have noticed that they are not very active with their big fleets in the Med, and tried some adjustments to make them more active, but in the vanilla, I think the AI basically shuts down operations in the med when UK does not have the "Attack Italy" flag operational, and so, unless UK has cleared North Africa of Italian forces (the trigger for preparing to attack the mainland) the RN does not contest the Med basically. My impression is that the RN may have been reigned in so that it properly protects the Island from possible Sealion, which is as we know quite easy for a German player to execute.

So, there is a whole set of issues with the British defence, some of which I have resolved, which begin with the failure of the British to defend the Island properly with land forces. The British in EIR defend England with land forces much more robustly, and this then freed more of the RN for other operations, such as running the coast of Norway to intercept German landings and other naval activity. I haven't play tested the Mediteranean tweeks I did for EIR enough to know if my version is more active off the North African coast, sooner.

Let me guess, your situation is that you are holding or better in North Africa?

Also, how did you take Gibraltar on the first day that you joined Axis... through Spain?

Cueball, you're work sounds promising :D

Normally i'am defeating the uk armys in north africa quite fast. The only problem is the royal navy. But now only some destroyers and light cruisers in the med :( Also the royal airforce does nothing to stop my airforce from bombing the land troops.

I'am always helping Nat. spain in the civil war. This has several advantages. I can train my leaders and capture some provinces to be able to attack gibraltar over land.

Still want to run a handsoff game with switzerland to see if this happens again. By the way it would be nice if you could share your tweaks to the uk ai. Especially if it fixes my problem :)

Regards

Well, I would love to convert some things over to vanilla, but at this point I have gone so far off-book, as far as the AI is concerned that this would be a major project all in itself.

The basic system I used to get UK to defend the Island more intelligently is stopping it from "invading" until certain conditions are met. This means that the British AI no longer sends out random small party invasions. It will only do so if it has stockpiled a fair number of troops on the Island. The problem previously was that the AI was constantly sending out troops to "staging" locations from the Island and leaving the Island bare.

This was particularly problematic in EIR because the EIR production system is designed to reduce division count overall to bring them into line with historical levels, which also meant fewer troops for UK operations, and defense.

UK isn't impregnable, here, and a sneaky German player could probably easily Sealowe UK before France has fallen, since the main trigger for the UK's defensive posture is the fall of France. It then opens up invasions again when Germany is at war with USSR, or USA has entered the war. Speaking of Italy, I used a similar system to get Italy to defend its homeland, which it seems to do fairly well.

It's an MP mod primarily and isn't tuned to SP performance like DAIM, or WIF, but I have done considerable work making functional as an SP game designed to simulate multiplayer play. For example, Germany is no longer locked into the Anschluss/Munich/Danzig/Molotov-Ribbentrop timeline like it is in vanilla: War commences in the time frame of 1938 to 1941 (most often in 39 but you can not count on it, which is the main thing) and at the same time the general sense of the historical event train is preserved.

Mind you, I didn't account for the Italy intervenes early in Spain scenario at all, in fact, I did my best to prevent that from happening. :) The game is supposed to go historical up until Germany starts the war.

Its tricky, you can imagine, trying to get the AI to fight effectively the USSR while Germany has not conquered France, which is one of the scenarios I designed for it, but it does a fair job of that. Not so tough at normal settings but for a human player playing at the hardest levels, certainly a challenge, I think.

More information on the mod can be found here: The East is Red -- Goering's Delay. The main mod package is in my signature. Also I am starting new MP sessions with the game since it does not seem like HOI III is quite ready for that. Sign up thread for that is here: East is Red Recruiting.

Its all been properly ported over to the latest 1.3beta patch, and I would love to hear any comments you have on the system, if you have time to play it through.

Last edited:
After installing the Beta Patch, all my portraits (minister and general) disappeared

Beta patch is not compatible with 1.2 saved games... which is what i am assuming you are experiencing

Beta patch is not compatible with 1.2 saved games... which is what i am assuming you are experiencing
Corey, did you get my pm?

Is in the scope of final patch to improve (or give additional option) the auto-sliders in relation of production of money (when it is not needed, because of allready huge reserves)?

IIRC the patch team have said that they won't be making any alterations to the code and the final patch will be concentrating on database issues in the main.

Don't know if it was allready asked (by me or others), so I ask:

Will there be some improvements in "Stealing Blueprint" System?

The chances to successful steel a bluprint seem to be correct. But it is not calculated for unresearched techs, but for all of them. Very often, I steel a blueprint for a tech, that I've allready (since loooong time ago) researched.

e.g in my current game as SOV, I succesfully steeled the "Firepower Focus Doctrine" blueprint from Hungary. That's the very first land doctrine, SOV is in '36 allready further in the tech-tree... Waste of money...

I would expect, that the chance to steel a blueprint is 0% against a country, that has not a single tech researched (and can nothing "offer"), what I didn't allready have.

Not to talk about the techs, that are not even in my (doctrine) tech-tree and also non-interesting...

Or the spies don't know what is the research situation at home? :wacko:

Don't know if it was allready asked (by me or others), so I ask:

Will there be some improvements in "Stealing Blueprint" System?

The chances to successful steel a bluprint seem to be correct. But it is not calculated for unresearched techs, but for all of them. Very often, I steel a blueprint for a tech, that I've allready (since loooong time ago) researched.

e.g in my current game as SOV, I succesfully steeled the "Firepower Focus Doctrine" blueprint from Hungary. That's the very first land doctrine, SOV is in '36 allready further in the tech-tree... Waste of money...

I would expect, that the chance to steel a blueprint is 0% against a country, that has not a single tech researched (and can nothing "offer"), what I didn't allready have.

Not to talk about the techs, that are not even in my (doctrine) tech-tree and also non-interesting...

Or the spies don't know what is the research situation at home? :wacko:
1) Hmm, you shouldn't be able to get a BP for a tech that you already have.
2) Telling you 0% if they have no BPs that you don't have would be giving you more information than you should get, so I don't think that should change.
3) 1.3(Beta2) is pretty much feature locked, the only changes (if any) will be to fix bugs introduced by the 1.3(Beta) (i.e., they didn't already exist in 1.2).