• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I almost always use it. I don't see why not honestly. More customization is good for me. And I would kill myself if I ever played O Brian again >.>

If you take the time, you can change everything, including appearance. So take the time to create the character, and copy the original person if you want.

But play with the mod, or else the age just kills it ;)

But you will belong to a custom dynasty, even if you set the name and COA to be the same. This is what people's issue is. You can't change Sancho Jimena slightly; you'll be someone new who can't inherit Leon or Galicia. You can't change a Rurikovich duke; the whole family will crash into your lands with their duchy claims. It's highly limited. I regret buying it but will not hesitate a second to grab Sword of Islam.

Haven't used it since figuring out that it won't let me use the historical dynasty I've selected and just mess with the face and / or shield.

I always use it as well - it is more fun trying to start a Dynasty that lasts. Sometimes my guy won't stop breeding and has a ton of kids... last game I played I had 3, and 1 died during child birth which made keeping the Dynasty alive extremely hard and challenging.

I had no intention of getting it, but then a freind bought it for me as a gift. Now i use it everytime. Tip, have your character start off excommunicated, that gives like -20 years. And only costs 1 gold to rescind at the start of the game

I kinda like the feature. It's 99% fun and 1% practicality.
I started my first game as Scotland and made myself a dynasty of Philp, because my maternal lineage starts from a medieval Scottish noble family of Philp :) The Philps hanged around Scotland's then-capital it seems and held many important positions until William left to Sweden during the 30-year-war and eventually ended up in Finland...
Lots of interesting tales.

It feels nice to play as my ancestors, even if they enjoy a considerable upgrade from whatever they were back then.

I had no intention of getting it, but then a freind bought it for me as a gift. Now i use it everytime. Tip, have your character start off excommunicated, that gives like -20 years. And only costs 1 gold to rescind at the start of the game
Good tip, I'll try that. :)

Good tip, I'll try that. :)

Take Hedonist and Lustful, both will lower your start age and increase your rate of children. Then Take Content, the piety bonus will offset the other two traits. And it also lowers your age.

No, actually.

I understand why people are complaining, but the Ruler Designer fills exactly what I had in mind. I never wanted to simply change the title holder to another noble (though I understand that intent), and neither did I neccessarily want to have massively overpowered nobles as every one of my created characters.

This is not to say that the DLC is perfect, I just don't personnaly have regret at buying it.

I'm glad that some people enjoy using it. Most of the time it doesn't even allow you to make exact carbon copy of the ruler which you want to replace with your own ruler. Personally I would just like to adjust few things instead of making completely new guy. But giving him some nasty trait makes him younger etc. So you can't even create rulers which closely resemble the historical ones.

I would probably be fine if it worked without issues, but it doesn't. Because even when you want to replace your ruler with a new guy it screws you up. You end up with bunch of courtiers who hate you because you fired them from your council, even if you don't have any council at all. I replaced William the Conqueror with a guy called Norman Anonymous and ended up having much smaller starting army which made winning the war practically impossible. When I tried playing as Novgorod with my Finnish Catholic ruler Paavo Väyrynen the whole Rurikovich family DoWed me. Personally I can't find much enjoyment from that.

Last edited:
Thanks to some useful tips from other people on the forum I've managed to set up decent characters -- for example yesterday I changed Conan II of Brittany to a Lombard-culture character with five children and he was only 27. I gave him the genius trait but off-set it with excommunicated, hedonist, proud and lustful. Excommunicated is a good one because it makes you twenty years younger and you can get rid of the trait before you unpause the game.

For a whopping $2.50, I'm not complaining. Lets see, I could go get a double cheeseburger, or have fun for who knows how long with custom leaders...

I paid $5. But the point is, it's not up to snuff. CK2 is quality; ruler designer is not. There are too many glitches, and the marketing promised features the DLC didn't deliver.

Thanks to some useful tips from other people on the forum I've managed to set up decent characters -- for example yesterday I changed Conan II of Brittany to a Lombard-culture character with five children and he was only 27. I gave him the genius trait but off-set it with excommunicated, hedonist, proud and lustful. Excommunicated is a good one because it makes you twenty years younger and you can get rid of the trait before you unpause the game.

Wounded, stressed and depressed are all ideas too. You can buy extra health with whatever years you gain to offset them, too.

The fact that you have to use a mod for it not to be completely useless is very disappointing. It essentially cost me nothing since I had some spare blue coins, but otherwise I would never have bought it.