• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Flammehav

Colonel
8 Badges
Sep 9, 2004
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
I played the game on and off for many years, but even though I know most of the teory and numbers of the game I won't call myself very experienced. I usually played easy countries with lots of colonies(exept one game as Norway that dispared when my computer chrashed), and is now looking for a different challenge.

A country that focuses more on land conquest than building a colony empire. I don't care wheter it's an europeen, africa or asian country, but no pagans. A semi easy country, preferably with some cores to conquers so I won't be stopped by badboy within a few years.

I don't really know wich countries have possibilities, wich one are to easy and wich one to hard and all that stuff, so any ides would be highly appriciated. Atm, I'm playing Spain in my first world conquest, but I need a break from all the micromanaging of that big country and want a nation that is harder to play, but still got potential for greatness.

Last edited:
Swiss?

Poland is a country that can be played paying no attention at all to colonization or naval warfare. It also has quite a few land expansion possibilities throughout the game.

Ottomans would be a good shot as well. Or Sweden, they get a lot of very good leaders, in the 17th century, fighting with them is a pleasure :).

Kara Koyunlu/Ak Koyunlu (whichever turns into Safavid Empire; I don't remember. Though you'd have to use AGCEEP for that) is just as cool a country to play with.

I played the game on and off for many years, but even though I know most of the teory and numbers of the game I won't call myself very experienced. I usually played easy countries with lots of colonies(exept one game as Norway that dispared when my computer chrashed), and is now looking for a different challenge.

A country that focuses more on land conquest than building a colony empire. I don't care wheter it's an europeen, africa or asian country, but no pagans. A semi easy country, preferably with some cores to conquers so I won't be stopped by badboy within a few years.

I don't really know wich countries have possibilities, wich one are to easy and wich one to hard and all that stuff, so any ides would be highly appriciated. Atm, I'm planning Spain in my first world conquest, but I need a break from all the micromanaging of that big country and want a harder nation to play, but still got potential for greatness.

try the southern indian nation maybe; GREAT potential, however a bit more difficult as compared with any european one; at least regarding the "classic " fighting (not doing tricks on ai).

or japan...alaways fun to snatch the chinese cots(ws),and then wait for them dowing you every 5 years:D

Last edited:
Problem with OE and Russia is that they're extremely easy after initial wars...

Countries with a lot of cores are easy per definition though. Countries without cores have to work against the game mechanics a lot more.

Savoy. You don't have cores on a whole lot, so it isn't a walkover and you don't have to get too big if you don't want to, but you do have French and Italian culture, so there is a reason for conquest. Spain and France are nearby. How difficult the game is depends on how friendly you are to each of them, and when you choose to go after France.

Savoy. You don't have cores on a whole lot, so it isn't a walkover and you don't have to get too big if you don't want to, but you do have French and Italian culture, so there is a reason for conquest. Spain and France are nearby. How difficult the game is depends on how friendly you are to each of them, and when you choose to go after France.
Along the same lines, I like to play fairly small countries which have large same-culture areas. For instance: Lorraine (french and german), Pomerania (polish and german in AGCEEP), Burgundy (french and dutch, but not very small and hence very easy), Navarre (basque, french, and iberian in vanilla), and Granada (arabic, berber, and iberian in vanilla, but very hard at first). Teutonic and Livonian Orders also have lots of cultures, but I've never gotten around to playing them; they also have some nasty events.

Why not byzantium? tons of cores and lots of room to expand. However, it's hard to play without being gamey, like invading an italian minor or some other island territory early on to ensure the ottomans dont get a chance to ruin you.

Lots of good options here I see. I like the ide about haveing a large same culture area as a substitute for having lots of cores. I think maybee Byzantium is a tad hard atm so I save that for a later game. But Savoy sounds promising so does Navarra and Granada. Those two are always quilckly taking over when playing Spaina and Navarra also when I played France, so it would be a nice payback.

Another thing is if you have lots of core or same culture provinces that have the wrong religion and decide to convert them all to the one true faith.

I think it over a bit and decide when I get home today what to choose. Maybee load a game as a few of the nations to see what potential they have before deciding.

Well, if you were losing to Navarre as France, maybe you'd better not play as Navarre against France. :eek:

Personally I find it a bit dull past about the 1600-1650 mark, but forming Germany in AGCEEP can be quite fun in the early stages. It has a nice balance - if you want to be able to form Germany you need to balance diplomacy and warfare. You're a continental power too, so no navy or colonies (unless you want them of course, once you get various German minors to start joining the party you'll have plenty of income to spend. In the last German game I played I had started serious colonisation in North America and was also starting to colonise modern-day South Africa. But if you wanted to build an Eastern European empire, Poland-Lithuania is right there asking to be conquered.

Personally, I like the Timurids/Mughals very much. If you do the Grand Campaign with them, you have to do some micro-management for not being sent to hell by all that nasty events (you simply have to make sure, that there's no Quara Koyunlu in 1446 and no Fars in 146x, when the second event comes. Also, you shouldn't own Iraq by a certain date. And you have to take care, that either rebels or Uzbekhs own Samarkand around 1490 to become the Mughal Empire.) After the first 80 years, the game is quite fun and easy, the only one to hurt you maybe the Ottoman Empire, that will be quite ahead in Land Tech by the mid 1500's.

Sweden is my favorite. A clear goal to start with (conquering all of scandinavia), a decent area with your culture, great monarchs and lots of leaders. Best case scenario is that Denmark annexes Norway and doesn't get its ass kicked by the german minors, which makes your conquest challenging. I love having a single main rival in a game.