An update on Chirper, and some more.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
PrincessAndThePea.jpg

A strange story that one. Why didn't they give the poor princess an option to remove the pea rather than make her sleep on a pile of mattresses? Pea masochists could have replaced it if they used the bed.

I won't post a pic of the Emperor's New Clothes, but I will say that if I was the Emperor I'd be grateful to those who highlighted the reality rather than those who acted as mattresses.

I'm looking forward to using Chriper, but as has been mentioned elsewhere I hope two features will be added:

1. That the Chirper's district will be added as a hashtag if applicable.
2. That Chirps will be colour coded based on severity. This came from Quill18s disaster. Would be great if Chirps that require imediate attention would be coloured red, for example.

I'm looking forward to using Chriper, but as has been mentioned elsewhere I hope two features will be added:

1. That the Chirper's district will be added as a hashtag if applicable.
2. That Chirps will be colour coded based on severity. This came from Quill18s disaster. Would be great if Chirps that require imediate attention would be coloured red, for example.

maybe a compromise? Only make ding ding sound for really important chirps?

Or would that also still put some peoples heads through the wall in frustration?

How can you know what tweets are important?
Just because alot of people follow Kim Kardashians tweets doesn't make them important...

It is the same thing with Chirper, who can tell what chirps are important.

Reactions:

Or would that also still put some peoples heads through the wall in frustration?

That sounds like a good idea, but that's increased functionality... never a bad thing. Increased functionality is not increased options.

Even if what you suggest is implemented in some way, there should also be included the option for it not to ding-ding, as the fact is the information is available from icons that hover over the city. I've seen a stream where the steamer was swearing and cursing about the ding-dings, and the single time it 'might' have been of use - there was a fire - there was no chirp. Fortunately all information from the bird is redundant, and so he was able to just react to the city icon.

Examples:

Found a lost key in the park. Will be taking it to the lost and found. #lost #key #lostandfound

I'm very happy that the city officials have decided to promote #publictransport so much. Nice work! #thankyoumayor

The #garbage is piling up. Where are the garbage trucks? #drowningintrash

@mayor You can't cut back on #transport funding! You will regret this!

Who the fuck is Chirpes!?
That was my first question when i entered this forum.

Then i realized it was the birdie, lol.. what a horrible name for a bird!!
I urge you to change it!

Then i realized it was the birdie, lol.. what a horrible name for a bird!!
I urge you to change it!
You just vented and forgot to explain yourself. Why is it bad? Does it sound odd related to Spanish?

You do know the noise that birds make is called a chirp?

Anyway, it's not terribly important what it's name is. Has no effect on the game. It's probably not even named in the UI.

That's an idea. A little "cheep" for minor issues, and a loud animated squawking for when the citizens are dying by the thousands from drinking raw sewage.

Sim City 4, your favorite game, also had it's Chirper with silly text messages down at the bottom of the screen.

And the wonky "3D" advisors jumping up on your face about teachers on strike.

It's been a long time since I played Sim City 4, so I had to dig up a SC4 Let's Play to do a proper comparison.

SC4's version of "Chirper"/news ticker is built into the UI. It includes a single line or two of small text. It's at the very bottom of the screen where you have to look down to look. It does not pop out at you or trigger sound effects. It's also relatively easy to ignore. Now, with that said, the Let's Play was most certainly modded, so I don't know whether SC4 came with sound notifications, but I don't ever remember the ticker popping out at me like some annoying kid who wants to be the center of attention.

I watched the entirety of the Let's Play and didn't see the 3D advisors even pop up once. Whether there are options within SC4 to turn them off or it was simply modded out, I don't know. I did watch the majority of the 30 minute lets play, occasionally skipping ahead 5 seconds at a time, but still nothing.

It should also be noted, that much has changed in the gaming industry and interaction between gamers and developers in the 12 years since SC4 was released. The growth of the internet as a medium of communication allowing the possibility of real time feedback between consumers and developers/publishers. In the past Developers/Publishers would produce games they think would sell (or that which they were hoping would catch on). Their only real feedback being the numbers coming back from the Sales Channels or whatever Focus Groups they organized. Today we have the development and acceptance of Early Access Games where with these games, gamers have the ability to influence the development of the game during development, rather than as some sort of patching process after it's been released. It is not a surprise that there are people who don't like the Chirper who want to make their voice known, especially when CO/Paradox have indicated that they are open to hearing the feedback based on the pre-release footage and images about the game before it's released.

For me, part of what "bothers" me is the fact that it's obvious CO wanted to implement some sort of Twitter/Social Media thing into the game, but didn't want to deal with potential trademark issues with Twitter, and so made their own that is pretty much otherwise a copy of Twitter, and called it Chirper, and the messages Chirps. It comes down to them creating something original, licensing Twitter for use in the game, or not implementing it at all. With that said, I was also annoyed by the stupid #, @ and other symbols that are used in social media in general. There is also the issue of the redundant and repetitive messages that pop up every time some event is triggered.

If modding allows the complete removal of Chirper, I'll be happy. I'm not opposed to the concept, but simply it's implementation, CO's design choice of Fake Twitter, and desire to not give us the option of completely turning it off if we wish. They have at least given the ability to disable the sound notification and popups, but I'd still like that last 10% of removing the bird itself.

Paradox, CO, artistic integrity is indeed important to keep intact.
But honestly, i cant avoid chuckling when i hear the words "artistic integrity" when i see the face of the Chirper.. It is really going a little bit overboard, because it aint art, thats for sure.

*blue bird beeps*
"Yo mayor why u dun legalize my herbs bro? #herbs4life #eatvegetables"

Artistic integrity, really?
Joking aside, the rest of the games aesthetics and sound design is something i WOULD indeed place under the label of artistic, though.
Just that bird, really not..

Paradox, CO, artistic integrity is indeed important to keep intact.
But honestly, i cant avoid chuckling when i hear the words "artistic integrity" when i see the face of the Chirper.. It is really going a little bit overboard, because it aint art, thats for sure.

*blue bird beeps*
"Yo mayor why u dun legalize my herbs bro? #herbs4life #eatvegetables"

Artistic integrity, really?
Joking aside, the rest of the games aesthetics and sound design is something i WOULD indeed place under the label of artistic, though.
Just that bird, really not..

I think Chirper is cute :rolleyes: