• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Interlude – Years of peace and prosperity under God and Good King Harry, January 1523 – May 1534

January - December 1523

Tax 214d. We send merchants to Genoa and Flandres, but lose one of our commercial interests in Flandres in January, so when trade expands in February we are no better off. Three more merchants are sent later in the year but none can establish themselves, although we do rid the market of a Danish shopkeeper.

Recruits: 3,000/1,000 in Genoa, 1,000/1,000 in Nice, 1,000/1,000 in Tunisia. In April a revolt in Corsica is put down with only minor losses (99 men).

Elsewhere : Poland pays 20d to Turkey for a peace settlement in January. Then in April, Poland (Brandenburg, Moldovia, Prussia, Hungary, Venice, Tripoli) declares war on the Teutonic Order (Russia, Sweden) in an attempt to curb the Order's growing power and influence in the Baltic. In November Hessen strikes a peace deal with Navarra, which costs them 232d.

January - April 1524

Tax 193d.

In January, Hessen becomes the first nation to convert to Protestantism. Great internal instability follows in Hessen and we immediately break off our alliance with the heretics. They then pay 108d indemnities to cease their war with France.

Recruits : 2,000 foot are commissioned in each of Genoa, Corsica, Nice and Tunisia to strengthen the garrisons there. We are not planning on engaging in any more costly wars for quite some time, but must be ready and prepared should Savoie seek to exercise their Casus Belli. If they cross us again, I am sure would have no qualms about finishing them off once and for all.

Trade expands once more in Flandres in January and in March one of our merchants competes away a trader from France and another does so again in April, which is most satisfying.

May - December 1524

May 21st 1524. A sad day for all of England and every true Englishman. Our great general, Norfolk, passes away at his home in Stratford-Upon-Avon, surrounded by his grief-stricken family and friends. The hero of Tunisia, Scotland, Nice and Genoa, his name will be remembered in the annals of history as one of our greatest military leaders. He is afforded a full state funeral then interred in Westminster Abbey and a memorial statue is raised in his honour in his home town.

In June trade expands yet again in Flandres, and we decide the time has come to attempt to monopolise the market. In July we successfully compete against a merchant from Prussia, and then in August we establish our monopoly. It lasts until October, when one of our cartel goes out of business. We send five more venturers throughout the remainder of year to try and re-establish our dominant position, but to no avail.

On December 9th the Teutonic Order annexes Prussia and now only Courland stands in the way of their complete domination of the eastern Baltic seaboard. However, our merchants in Novogrod manage to send word to us that the Teutons are not having everything their own way - the Poles are attacking Sver and Pskov and both towns are burning.

Elsewhere, Spain continues its war on the Papal States with a siege of Emilia and France continues to send armies to face defeat in Naples.

January - June 1525

Tax 220d. Thuringen becomes the second nation to convert to Protestantism, damn their heretic souls to hell. 0/2,000/10 reinforcements are ordered in Genoa and 2,000 foot in Nice. In January we lose a merchant in Novogrod, but manage to re-establish our Flandres monopoly, which lasts approximately 3 weeks. We then lose a merchant in Venice, but are able to reinforce our presence in Genoa - trade expands there in April but not in May. We also lose another Flandres trader in May.

On the 25th of June milord Admiral Howard passes away, leaving the Home Fleet in the (hopefully) capable hands of Commodore Westford.

July - December 1525

We continue to strengthen our trade interests in Flandres in August. Our people in Novogrod report that Tver is now under control of Hungary but the Teutonic Order has attacked the provinces of Danzig and Lithuania to the south. Then on the 29th of August, the Order negotiates peace with Poland and pays them 64d indemnities. Spain's war against the Pope continues.

In August our continental reinforcements are ready and we order 10 guns for the home garrison. Little else of note occurs until the new year.

January - June 1526

Tax 206d. The King decides that the time has come to seek fresh friendships on the continent. Our warmongering and annexation policies have made us far from popular with our European cousins. We decide to start by sending a letter of introduction to the Doge of Venice. He is relatively unimpressed by our flatteries and still considers us an enemy (-96 to -83).

A merchant is sent to Genoa, Novogrod (to out-compete a Russian), Venice (where we successfully banish another Frenchman – hurrah!). Another merchant is despatched to Genoa and our trade interests expand. Then in March one of our traders is forced out of business in Venice and in April we lose ground in both Genoa and Flandres, which incidentally is now back under Spanish control, our allies having re-taken the city in March. We send two more merchants to Flandres, who succeed in putting another Frenchman out of business and then expanding our own holdings once more.

We decide the time has come to spend a little of our surplus capital and so 2,000/2,000 troops are recruited in Genoa and 2,000 infantry in Nice.

Elsewhere: The Hanse become the latest openly heretical Protestant nation. Spain now controls Emilia, but Papal forces are besieging Messina. On March 20th France pays 250d indemnities to Naples in return for peace and on May 17th Navarra becomes a vassal of France, which must surely be a blow to our Spanish allies. At the end of May, Russia (Teutonic Order, Sweden) declares war on Kazan (Golden Horde), which is a development that causes no surprise whatsoever. On June 2nd Persia pays 195d indemnities for an end to her war with Turkey.

July - December 1526

We concentrate our mercantile efforts on Genoa, first with no result, then competing away a Georgian merchant, then expanding our trade-base. We send another merchant to Venice at the end of the year who out competes a Bohemian, but lose a merchant in Genoa, and thus our monopoly is broken.

On November 18th, Savoy becomes a vassal of France. This is a blow to our own aspirations, although not entirely unexpected. The French are gathering their neighbours in.

Our nation’s stability has now returned to pre-war levels (to +3) and so good King Henry decrees a period of investment in national infrasructure.

January 1527

Tax 275d. King Henry orders a review of our general relationships with the rest of Europe. It seems our only friend is Spain (+101). Several minor nations hold us in neutral esteem (Hannover +40, Naples +30, Cologne +10) but we have incurred the enmity of several powerful players on the European stage, notably France (-200), Turkey (-200), Russia (-199) the Teutonic Order (-200) and several minor nations who have obviously viewed our annexations of Tunisia and Genoa with some alarm. There is nothing to be done about them for the time being, but the King and I decide to continue with our wooing of Venice and send a personal gift to the Doge which improves our relationship significantly (-88 to -42), bringing them into a position of neutrality towards us.

Wurtemburg, Helvetia and Sweden all convert to Protestantism. I have become almost ashamed of my Anglo-Saxon heritage – the Protestant curse obviously runs strong in blood of Germanic descent.

On the 3rd the Mamelukes sue for peace and pay 157d to Wallachia, at the same time settling a white peace with Crimea.

February - December 1527

Trade expands in Genoa in February. Twice we try to re-establish our monopoly and are successful on the second attempt in May. We lose a merchant in Flandres in May but in June we out-compete a Venetian merchant in Genoa and in December we expel a Savoyese peddler.

In February there is rejoicing at court that His Majesty’s vow to keep Nice has been fulflled. The King now declares a new goal : to ensure that our Royal Marriage with Spain in maintained until 1532.

Our scouts in Nice report that Savoy has built army of 94,060 plus cannon (weight 100). Within two months they have lost 10,000 through attrition. It is madness on their part, sheer madness. In any case, we like no this threat to our border, and so further reinforcements are commissioned in Nice (1,000/1,000/10) and Genoa (3,000/2,000).

In July, Turkey gains Syria as part of a peace settlement with the Mameluks. In September, Russia gains the province of Bogutjar and 60d indemnities from the Golden Horde. On September 14th, the Crimea becomes a vassal of Turkey. On the 27th the Papal States, having failed to re-take Bologna from Spain, cede the province of Emilia to our noble allies in return for peace. On October 20th, Naples returns to a state of vassalhood with Spain. The rest of the year is again blessedly quiet.

January - December 1528

Tax 245d. 2,000/1,000 reinforcements in Nice, 1,000/2,000/20 in Genoa. We concentrate on securing our Genoese monopoly and continue to send merchants to put others out of business. In February we dislodge an Austrian, a Venetian in June, a Pole in July, and an Algerian in September.

In March, Kazan pays 31d indemnities to Russia for an end to their latest war. On the 26th of March Spain declares war on the Incan Empire, some native tribe troubling their New World colonies, no doubt.

On August 1st a minor revolt in Nice is swiftly and efficiently put down by Brandon. Our fleet has been idle too long and so a squadron is sent on an information-gathering mission. A quick check on our neighbours reveals that Parma, completely unbeknown to us, has joined the Spanish alliance. The head of our intelligence service is berated and we demand to be informed of all such developments in the future.

January - June 1529

Tax 246d. A double disaster strikes at the very start of the year. Firstly we lose our monopoly in Genoa and then far more seriously, a winter storm rips through the fleet stationed in Cornwall and 10 ships are lost. A major set-back for our navy and an expensive one to recover from. We then lose a merchant in Novogrod shortly afterwards, and fail to expand our trade in Flandres. We also notice that Andalusia is growing rich on the spoils of the New World and so determine to send merchants there as soon as we are able. We fail on our first attempt, and also lose a merchant in Flandres. The King declares that he has lost interest in the politicking of shopkeepers and orders me to appoint a minister for trade (auto-send switched on...). The new minister's first success is the expulsion of a Tuscan merchant from Genoa in late June.

We continue to reinforce both Nice and Genoa with 1,000/2,000 and 2,000/2,000/10 respectively

On May 16th, Poland-Lithuania (Brandenburg, Moldovia, Hungary, Venice, Tripoli, Courland) declares war on Turkey (Wallachia, Cyrenaica, Crimea) and once more the entire eastern mediterranean descends into the chaos and anarchy of war.

July - December 1529

In July the King is pleased to announce that the legal infrastructure of the nation has improved to the point where the appointment of Chief Judges to the provinces is now a possibility. He also (I fear that His Majesty is growing bored with this lengthy peace) declares that more military development is required if we are ever to put stage V of our master plan into full effect.

On August 1st we re-establish our monopoly in Genoa, lose it briefly in October, only to re-establish it in November.

January - June 1530

Tax 240d. We order 3,000/2,000 for Genoa.

In January we put a Danish pig-trader in Genoa out of business. In March we again briefly lose our monopoly but it is re-established in May and we put a Savoyese out of business in June. Our trade minister is performing well and shrewdly.

Our former ally, Hannover, becomes the latest Germanic nation to succumb to the Protestant heresy and we sever all formal alliances with her immediately. We send a letter to Venice complementing the Doge on his stand against the Turk and our relationship improves again (-52 to -32).

On February 4th, Wallachia is annexed by Poland-Lithuania and Turkey loses an ally. In June, a rumour arrives from the East that Moldovia has fallen to the Turk and further Polish provinces as far north as the Ukraine are under attack.

July - December 1530

In July, we lose another merchant in Venice - we wonder if our minister for trade isn't concentrating too heavily on Genoa - to the neglect of our other trading interests.

In the east, Serbia and Croatia both fall under Turkish control.

January - December 1531

Tax 240d. 3,000 infantry reinforcments are commissioned in Nice, 3,000/2,000 in Genoa. We also begin preparations for the appointment of our first Chief Judge in Anglia.

In February we drive a Turkish merchant from Genoa and in March we unfortunately ruin a Spaniard. In September we drive off a Frenchman, but lose our monopoly in November.

On April 16th, Cyrenaica pays 203d to Tripoli for an end to the war. In the east the Hungarians re-take Croatia and Moldovia is liberated. On the 9th of September Poland-Lithuania and Turkey negotiate a return to the status-quo. Poland has gained Wallachia, Turkey is no better off. Cunning Poles.

On July 18th our royal marriage with Spain expires and we immediately renew it. The King, who has been growing increasingly indolent of late, swears an oath that Genoa shall remain an English province for at least the next five years, perhaps hoping to incite the French to greater efforts to thwart him.

Late in the year, a revolt in Corsica is put down in just over a fortnight.

January 1532

Tax 238d. King Henry grows more and more restless. These years of peace are chafing at his noble spirit and Kingly urge for battle and conquest. He demands to know when I plan to put Stage V of our master plan into full effect. I am forced to remind his majesty that although our army in Genoa now numbers some 43,000 there is still the matter of the 84,000 Savoyese on our northern border, with Casus Beli against us for the siezure of Nice. I plead caution, at least until France and Savoy are once more engaged elsewhere and we can then make our move in the region without undue fear of retaliation.

Instead, we invest wisely in the commissioning of two more Chief Judges - in Lancashire and Yorkshire.

February - June 1532

In Feb we boot a Georgian merchant out of Genoa, a Swede in April, an Austrian in May, and a Turk in June. Our monopoly is looking increasingly secure, and increasingly profitable.

July - December 1532

In July, another revolt in Corsica is once more quashed with apparent ease. Our garrison is slightly reduced however, and so another 1,000 foot will be commissioned next year to give it a boost.

Another Austrian is sent packing from Genoa in August, and a Helvetian in October, but more foreigners arrive and set up shop and our monopoly is broken in the same month, only to be re-established again in December. It would seem that we are fighting a losing battle, economically speaking - approximately 30d a year to place merchants and drive out our opponents, but for how much gain?

January 1533

Tax 249d. We continue our charm offensive with the Doge of Venice, this time sending another personal gift. He is warming to us a little more each year (rel. fom -34 to +18). Our first Chief Judge is appointed in Anglia. Boyard rises to the throne of Russia.

The King is champing at the bit of peace. He demands action on several fronts. Our 'grand master plan' seems to have stalled, he informs me, and our colonies have not grown significantly for twenty years or more. I explain that the game of politics is by necessity a waiting game. Our colonies are not growing because our citizens are content to live in England. The King says that he grows tired of 'waiting' and 'contentment'. Then, with a sly air, he tells me he has heard that in those nations where Protestantism has been allowed its full head, a measured dose of civil unrest has led to a movement of discontented parties towards the New World, where religious intolerance is said to be a lesser evil than the perils of everyday survival. He leaves it at that, but I am horrified by the implication. I fear that perhaps my long years of service may soon have to draw to a close. I simply cannot, shall not, will not serve a Protestant King.

February - December 1533

We see to the further development of our trade network. Our Genoese monopoly is lost again and so we take steps to re-establish it, and send merchants to Flandres and Novogrod once more, to revive our flagging interests there. Instead we succeed only in competing Swedes out of business in both centres. The Andalusian market seems to have collapsed, so we send another merchant to Flandres instead, there to expel an unlucky soul from Thuringen, and renew our trade-acquaintances in Venice. Trade expands there and so we send another merchant, though this time we are unsuccessful. In October we briefly lose our Genoese monopoly but re-establish it in December. However, we do lose one of our interests in Novogrod, which is a great shame as that particular market is looking increasingly healthy.

Elsewhere: on September 13th Russia, strangely without allies, declares war yet again on her old enemy Kazan (Golden Horde).

January - May 1534

Tax 250d. Another gift is sent to the Doge of Venice, but we fear he is tiring of our (expensive) attentions (rel. from +17 to +31) as he still professes only strictest neutrality towards us.

We lose a merchant from Flandres in February, kick an Algerian out of Genoa in March and re-establish our monopoly in April. Our trade interests are growing healthily, and soon we will be able to look even further afield to… “but wait, there is someone at my chamber door… leave me, I am busy! I said leave. Leave at once. What? What is this? How dare you! Unhand me. Damn you sir, take your hands from me. The King shall hear of this outrage… What? Who? The King? No, this cannot be…”

New screenshots:
http://www.thealienonline.co.uk/eu/

Last edited:
An interesting possibility ?

Do I see a political vassilisation on the horizon ?
Are you able to vassilise the Papal States ?

Cannot wait to see how you handle the religous conversion......

Last edited:
I sense a convertion is coming up.

Hurrah for success with tough AI

I am glad to see an AAR for tough AI. It is quite trying to have people post monochrome maps of the world and ask why conquest is so easy when the AI is set low. I enjoy hearing how you meet a real challenge.

Need... more... reports!!!

This is by far the best written AAR I've seen so far! I actually felt a little sad when Norfolk finally died!!! Keep it coming!

Thanks again everyone, your comments are always appreciated.

Genghis and Danish King: Conversion? Conversion?? Are you seriously suggesting that we abandon our Catholic faith and embrace the Protestant heresy. Hmmm... worth a thought...

Minor Power: I reckon if I'm going to spend a good 60-100 hours of my life playing a game, it had better be challenging. That was always the problem I had with Civ II. Expand, expand, expand, don't attack anyone, wait until you've discovered stealth bombers and then conquer the world... yawn...

Wildwolf: Welcome aboard! I was gutted when Norfolk popped his clogs, but I could feel it coming. He'd been around for a fair while and I'd rather he died in his bed at home than on a muddy field in Italy. He deserved it. Mind you, he's sorely, sorely missed at the moment. I'm up to about 1554 in the game, and it's getting tricky...

Interlude – The Norfolk Regency. May 1534 – February 1547

May 1534

My Lords of England. I commend myself to you and yours in this, England's darkest hour. As you know, great disaster has befallen England. On the 2nd of this month, our generals in Anglia delivered the first examples of a new type of small arms weapon - an arquebus - to the King for his inspection. His majesty, Henry VIII, insisted on testing one of the new pieces for himself and would not be dissuaded. The gun was faulty - the firing mechanism disintegrated and exploded on first use and a shard of metal pierced the King's eye and thence his brain, killing him. The general responsible for handing the weapon to the King is of course now in the Tower, and will be executed at dawn.

My predecessor, the Lord Chancellor, sore distressed by the death of his beloved monarch, has taken ill and has retired to his country estate. You all knew my father, the lord Duke of Norfolk, England's greatest general, the hero of Tunis, Scotland, Nice and Genoa. I swear on my heart as an Englishman and the memory of my father that in acting as Regent until the infant Prince Edward, heir to the realm, is of an age to assume the throne, I shall uphold the honour of the nation and see to our rapid escalation to the very forefront of the ranks of the greatest nations in Europe.

(land tech lvl 5 - early arquebus, and random event - early death of the monarch, both occurring on the 2nd of May. And the rest, as they say, is alternate history…)

June 1534

As regent, it is now my solemn duty to see to the expansion and security of the realm - in equal measure. I am well aware of the plans put forward by my predecessor and our most sorely-missed liege, and intend to continue with the spirit of their intentions, albeit more than likely taking a different direction from the one they were planning. I also will confide to you, the lords of the privy council, that I am a Protestant. I have read the works of Calvin and am in complete accord with his call for the removal of the Pope as titular head of our national religion. I shall take steps to do so at the earliest opportunity, should one present itself.

I will also add that I care not for the intricacies and politics of trade. I shall leave that to our treasurer and not tire the lords with endless reports of mercantile success or failure. Reading the past minutes of these meetings, it seems that my predecessor was something of a tiresome windbag, God rest his soul. Yes, I’m afraid the ex-Lord Chanceller is now an ex Lord Chancellor. Very sad. He choked on something he ate...

July - December 1534

I have ordered the commissioning of 2,000/2,000/10 in Genoa. I trust not the Savoyese and their 84,000 man standing army and would be ready for any trickery from them or their French overlords.

It would appear that the Knights of Rhodes, once allies of the hated French, have been admitted to our alliance by Spain. I am unsure whether the presence of these turncoat dogs will have any value to our alliance, but I am in no position to protest their inclusion and so shall let the matter rest.

January - December 1535

Tax 240d. I am saving our financial capital, partly to finance our treasurer's mercantile activities, partly to strengthen our armed forces should war break out in Europe in the near future. The continent has been quiet for far, far too long. I like it not and suspect that plans to our detriment are afoot. The aggressive policies of our previous liege lords will not have sat well in European stomachs.

Brandenburg converts to Protestantism at the start of the year – brave Germans! On the 18th of January, Kazan pays 18d in indemnities for peace with Russia. In February there is a brief uprising in Nice, which is of course brutally put down. In May, Cyrenaica donates 203d to the Venetian treasury in return for peace and then signs a white peace with Austria. In May, Tripoli and Turkey sign a white peace. In June, Poland-Lithuania annexes Moldovia in a peaceful, diplomatic move, thus providing a link to join the previously isolated Polish province of Wallachia to the main body politic.

In May, I review my predecessor's policy of courting the Venetians and have to agree that thwre was some long-term wisdom in it. Another personal gift is sent to the Doge and our relationship improves again (+28 to +56). Our relationship with Spain has slipped slightly and so a letter of introduction from England's new regent is sent (rel from +111 to +123).

In June the infidel Moslems make welcome war on one another as Turkey (Cyrenaica, Crimea, Algiers) declares war on the Mameluks (Perisa, Iraq). Good. The only good infidel is a dead infidel. Oman joins the Turkish alliance in July but stays out of the war. In October the Mameluks and their allies capture Syria from Turkey. We do our part in November, I notice, by expelling a Turkish trader from Genoa. In Novemeber, Nubia joins the Turkish alliance. Odd, that they should wish to be part of the faction that appears to be losing…

In September an uprising of 42,000 peasant Genoese is put down for remarkably few losses on the part of our garrison. The year ends as it has begun, with a tiresome lack of activity in Europe.

January - December 1536

Tax 243d. Lord Admiral Fitzwilliam now awaits my command in Cornwall. Our charm offensive on the Doge continues. This time our personal gift brings much warmer thanks and the Doge assures me that he now considers England's Lord Regent to be a very dear friend (rel. from +51 to +124). In fact the Doge is so happy to be our friend that on the 3rd of January he offers his own daughter as wife-consort for our Prince Edward. The Royal Marriage is gladly accepted and the children are betrothed (rel. from +124 to +139)

We look to the reinforcement of Tunisia and commission 3,000/0/20. Our treasurer continues to spend money on maintaining our monopoly in Genoa. In July the late King's vow to keep Genoa matures and to honour his memory I make a similar vow. In October there is another brief revolt in Corsica, swiftly put down by the garrison's able commander.

Overseas: In September Astrakhan enters into an royal marriage with Kazan and Poland-Lithuania suffers a localised backwater revolt. Nothing else of interest happens anywhere.

January - May 1537

Tax 245d. Another expensive gift is sent to the Doge but this time he seems to be only mildly impressed (+139 to +143). Perhaps he doesn't like warm English beer?

On May 21st our plans in southern Europe suffer a slight set-back as Savoy is annexed by France. They gain the province and the 84,000 man standing army of Savoy and once again their reach in Europe is significantly extended. At least, though, there is no longer the threat of the Savoyese Casus Belli against us for our possession of Nice to contend with.

The Milanese War of 1537

June – November 1537

On June 6th, Denmark (France, Papal States, Helvetia, Baden) declares war on their near neighbour the Hanseatic League (Portugal). We decide to profit from France's distraction to expand our own influence in the mediterranean area. The Italian city state of Milan is rich (34 income) and weak (5,000/5,000 army), has just left an alliance with her more powerful neighbour Austria, and would make a fine addition to the English realm. Preferably before France gets there first...

On June 19th we declare war and send our army in. Once more the English lords are uneasy (stability from 3 to 0, no Casus Belli), but my reassurances are enough to stave off open revolt. On the 30th of July our army (23,952/16,666/58) completely annihilates the Milanese defenders (4,917/4,984) and the town is besieged, our guns immediately ripping great holes in their defences (-1).

On September 1st, with attrition taking its toll, the assault on Milan itself is ordered, after sustained bombardment has further damaged their walls (-4). On this occasion our army is beaten off and the siege is renewed. In October we bombard their walls again (-5) and in November commission another 4,000 infantry in Genoa to reinforce in the Spring if necessary. Then, on November 9th, Milan surrenders and offers a white peace. We of course refuse and instead announce the annexation of the province. The Venetian Doge declares he can no longer be the friend of an open aggressor who prays on fellow Christians (rel down to +43), but a subsequent gift thaws his attitude somewhat (to +58).

A return to peace in Italy. December 1537 – February 1547

December 1537

Our forces in the area are reorganised to take account of our new defensive responsibilities. With peace comes a measure of calm (stability to +1) and we settle down to a winter of placating the nobles with hunting, feasting and promises of even greater riches to come (all research to stability).

January - February 1538

Tax 200d. The wars in northern Europe and the Levant continue with no great upsets or shocks occurring. Then, the news arrives that Denmark is the latest nation to declare its Protestant faith. Oh, how I long to bring about the same changes in our own great nation, but no, I must instead denounce the 'heretics' and send messages of support to our allies on the continent.

A warm letter to the Doge once again encourages him to accept our friendship (+69 to +89) and I begin commissioning new troops in Corsica (1,000 foot to replace losses incurred in the infrequent rebellions there) and Cornwall (4,000/3,000) to swell the Home Garrison.

Then in February, the peasants of Tunisia revolt and manage to eliminate our entire garrison. Our Genoese army is immediately despatched to north Africa to rectify the situation.

March - May 1538

On May 8th, Colonel Cumberland lands in Tunisia and puts down the rebellion. It has been a costly episode indeed - 12,000 English soldiers lie dead. A fresh garrison will have to be raised and the province defended until the new force is ready. 10,000 men under Cumberland stay in Tunisia to see to the management of the province and a small force returns to Genoa to supplement the remaining garrison there.

June - December 1538

In September the Mameluks pay 138d to Crimea for a peace treaty, having lost Jordan to the Turk.

January - December 1539

Tax 218d. 1,000/1,000 recruits in Tunisia. 2,000/2,000 recruits in Genoa. Another letter is sent to Venice but the Doge barely gives us the time of day (rel. +72 to +73).

In February France suffers a revolt in Navarra and the Portuguese invade Romagna but are defeated by a Papal army there. In April the Turks gain Kurdistan from the Persians in a peace settlement and reports from Navarra suggest that the rebels have been successful in their fight against France. A new alliance begins to take shape in Central Europe as Austria gathers in Bavaria and Bohemia. Then in August, the Hanse surrenders to the Danes, paying 233d in indemnities and giving them control of the CoT in Holstein. The Danish King will no doubt be delighted by the news ;). Emilia rebels against Spain in September but the revolt is swiftly quashed. In November the Mameluks sue for peace with Cyrenaica and surrender Qattara to them. It would seem that the sun is setting on the Mameluk dynasty in Egypt. At the tail end of the year, Russia re-joins its old alliance with the Teutonic Order and Sweden, and Hannover enters the alliance of the Hanse and Portugal.

January - September 1540

Tax 238d. 2,000/1,000/10 recruits are commissioned in Genoa, and a very expensive personal gift is sent to the Doge, but he remains relatively unimpressed (rel +63 to +72). I cannot understand why the man remains so stand-offish…

In January Turkey takes Aleppo from the Mameluks in exchange for peace. In June there is another revolt against the Spanish in Emilia, which is once again swiftly put down. In July our admiral Fitzwilliam dies, without ever having left port in Cornwall. Ah, well. In August there is also a revolt in Milan, which we are able to put down with little trouble. In September Thuringen, Hessen and Saxony enter into a Protestant alliance. If only such an alliance could be formed and led by my own England! But no… still we must dance to the Spanish tune…

October - December 1540

On October 23rd, a group of Anglian Protestants approach me for assistance in leaving these benighted shores for the new world (random event - rush of colonists, 3 new colonists appear in Anglia). I thank them for the nobility of their pioneering spirit and tell them that I would be happy to send them westwards in the new year. I decide to split them into three groups, sending one to colonise Chesapeake, and another to enlarge our colony in Delaware. The third are told that their passage will have to wait until the year after, due to financial constraints.

January - December 1541

Tax 233d. We despatch two sets of our colonists with our blessing. Courland is the latest brave nation to declare for the Protestant faith. 2,000/2,000 reinforcements are commissioned in Milan.

In May our first group of settlers arrive to swell the population of Delaware to a healthy 381. Courland enters the military alliance of the Teutonic Knights (Russia, Sweden), no doubt fearing annexation by their more powerful allies if they do not. In September our third New World colony is successfully established, in Chesapeake another nation rich in tobacco and providing income for the crown (6d).

January - December 1542

Saxony converts to Protestantism. Nearly all of north Germany, including many elector states of the Holy Roman Empire are now believers in a 'heretic' faith. Our third group of colonists is finally sent to Delaware. We commission another 2,000/2,000 troops in Milan, and send another letter to the Doge (rel +57 to +69).

In March the Teutonic Order suffers a rebellion in Eastern Prussia and loses control of the city of Konigsberg, and they then fail to re-take the province in May. Then on the 1st of June, the people of Prussia declare themselves a sovereign nation and immediately declare war on the Teutonic Order. Sweden, Russia and Courland all dishonour their alliance with the Order, but then Russia re-joins the alliance three days later. The Prussians defeat a Teutonic army in Prussia and then enter a royal marriage with Brandenburg and enter the Hanseatic alliance (Portugal, Hannover) shortly afterwards.

Our colony in Delaware successfully expands in September. In October, Russia (Teutonic Order) declares war yet again on her old enemy Kazan (Astrakhan, Golden Horde). In November the peasants of Moldavia revolt against - and defeat - an army of Poland-Lithuania, and then in December, to our immense delight, France suffers a revolt in Savoie. Unfortunately, the French are swiftly victorious. I suppose we cannot have everything we could wish for…

January - December 1543

Tax 233d. Recruitment: another 2,000/2,000 (Milan), 1,000/1,000 (Cornwall) and 1,000/1,000 (Genoa).

Bohemia converts to Protestantism. Russian and Teutonic forces capture the city of Saratow and Prussia again defeats a Teutonic army on their own soil. In May our merchant guildmasters announce they now have the legal power to initiate a trade embargo against another nation (trade tech lvl 4). In June Bohemia enters the Saxon alliance and the Protestant states of central Germany draw even closer together. How I wish England was there to lead and guide them.

In August another revolt in Savoie results in a victory for the rebels, who then storm the city of Torino. Then in September, word arrives that the Cornish people have now converted back to the 'true' Catholic faith (random event - Conversion of Heretics). Curses!

Russia and the Teutonic Order continue to walk all over Astrakhan and Kazan. In November France sends fresh troops to Savoie and the rebellion is put down, worse luck.

January - December 1544

Tax 233d. 30 cannon are ordered in Cornwall. Another letter to the Doge is met with lukewarm regard (rel +59 to +66)

The Teutonic Order converts to Protestantism! Their alliance with Russia is broken, but it remains to be seen whether they will join the central German alliance. In April, Courland enters the Polish alliance, no longer wishing to be associated with the 'heretic' Baltic Knights. In September we are forced to put down yet another revolt in Corsica.

On Christmas day, the city of Memel falls to the Prussians, and the Teutonic Order is forced to abandon her war in the east and look to home – negotiating a white peace with Kazan.

January - December 1545

Tax 233d. Our treasurer insists on continuing to concentrate on Genoa, a policy which I believe has led to great expense for little gain and so he is dismissed. I intend to look for new markets, to spread out trade interests further and avoid this obsession with monopolies. Our armies stand at a reasonable level for the purposes of defence (except for the Corsican garrison which is therefore boosted by the addition of 2,000 infantry), and there has been no major war in mainland Europe (if you exclude the recent Danish-Hanse squabble over Holstein) for quite some time. I am dissatisfied that our troops are unable to prove their mettle on the field of combat, but resigned to the situation until further opportunities present themselves.

On January 5th Bavaria becomes a vassal of Austria. On April 1st Turkey (Cyrenaica, Crimea, Algiers renews hostilities with the Mameluks (Persia, Iraq). Oman and Nubia dishonour their alliance with Turkey. In May France again suffers a revolt in Savoie and in June the Corsicans are once more up in arms. Both flash-fires are swiftly extinguished. On the 20th of August our field chief justice Brandon passes away. He was an able commander and a loyal second to my father Lord Norfolk but understandably never achieved the same heights of glory. The funeral is a quiet family affair.

In August I receive word that we are now able to open Fine Arts Acadamies (infrastructure lvl 4), although I personally am more interested in the Arts Military. In September Russia sues for peace with Astrakhan and surrenders the province of Bogutjar. In October word arrives that Hungary has entered an alliance with Poland-Lithuania. There is more political manoeuvring in November, as Tripoli enters the Turkish alliance, Brandenburg gets into bed with the Hanseatic League and Venice joins the new Polish-Hungarian alliance, once more re-building their eastward-looking union against the Turk. The political map of Europe is re-forming once again.

January - December 1546

Tax 239d. More money-grubbers are sent to various far-flung corners of Europe. Further fresh troops (1,000/0/10) are ordered in Corsica to deal with the recurring local difficulty there. Another letter of greeting is sent to the Venetian Doge (+57 to +62).

In January the Turkish-Mameluk war comes to a juddering halt as Turkey pays 202d to their enemy for an early peace and shortly aftwerwards, Kazan pays 18d to Russia for peace on the steppes. In May Courland re-joins the Polish alliance. The rest of the year is quiet but for a slew of royal marriages binding the new Polish alliance closer together, and the Prussians re-capturing the city of Memel from the Teutonic Order and then losing it again later in the year.

January 1547

Tax 234d. We send out a few more merchants. Isfahan is currently the richest market known to us and so we will try to establish a good (and profitable) foothold there.

Ivan IV rises to the throne of Russia.

And at court, preparations are made for a long-awaited coronation…

Last edited:
I'm am quite delighted that my fellow Danes have taken Holstein(which is natually ours!) from the Germans, but, I'm quite amazed that it took them 47 years to do so! Well, better late than never.

Maybe this whole Protestant thing is highly overrated. I mean, think what happens to them if English stays Catholic? North Germany can be slowly eaten away by France, Austria and Spain(?). Maybe even England? Anyway, you started such an excellent campaign in Italy, but there are no Protestants there, and you will need Spain as friends, at least, for awhile. Of course, going Protestnat will help your stability, since the faith factor won't be an issue in declaring war on Italian states. I would second someone before me, who suggested a peaceful annexation of Papal States. That's more than half of Italy in you aar.

Cheers, Nalivayko: Real food for thought there. The main problems I have with annexing the Papal States at this stage of the game are that they hate my guts (-200) for being an enemy of France (with whom they have kept up a pretty much constant alliance) and because I have made military annexations of three minor states (and another province) right on their doorstep. Plus, we don't actually share a common border since Spain grabbed Emilia a while ago - so I wouldn't be able to annexe them without first doing something about Tuscany - another minor state, even more bad boy problems, or an extremely expensive charm offensive, seeing as they hate my guts as well (-200).

Hold that whole thought, though, until you see some of the developments in the next couple of installments...

Hm, I missed Emilia thing. :) Anyhow, I'll hold on my horses, and let you play. I can implement my ideas in my aars, and that's what other people's aars are for - new ideas. Continue with you aar. Very interesting.

Ariel,

I'm going to have to rethink my whole policy as England. Other than forcefully annexing Scotland, I've never tried to break into the Med, always going after the North Germans as vassals. Looks like from your foreshadowing you're going to get the best of both worlds. Great way to handle the freaky random event and it set you up beautifully for the coming conversion. Great historical reading! I look forward to your unfolding master plan.

The Question of Germany

nalivayko and Ariel: I would suggest turning protestant for a few reasons. 1) More colonists! And can you ever have too many? 2) Peaceful annexation of the German states. In my game as Bohemia, I turned protestant around 1550, and formed a massive alliance that at one point consisted of Thuringen, The Palatinat, Saxony, Hessen, and Wurtemberg. Over the course of time, I peacefully annexed Thuringen and Hessen, used the allinace to defeat Poland-Lithania, Austria, and Hungary (all at once!), and they helped me take over Saxony by force! (they just wouldn't be annexed peacefully)

Getting Better

Ariel

I must say, this seems to be getting better each and every time I read the next instalment.

When's the next one due ?
When are you going to kick France's butt ?

I've tried (unsuccessfully) to emulate your acheivements in my own GC as England. So far, I've got Tunisia, Nice & have just taken Genoa (Corsica was grabbed by the Turks a while back). Keep looking at Sctoalnd, but there army is just too big at the moment, and they are still allied to France.
Beginning to suffer with revolts, and most of my funds & time are spent quelling these - might have to re-start.

Keep it up mate.......you're not alone out there !!

He, he, picture that -- I am currently playing as Bohemia. The year is 1697, and I still did not turn Protestant. My alliance in 1689 consisted of Saxony, Baden, Hungary, Hessen, Kleves and Hanover. Bohemia absorbed five provinces of Austria, including Styria, Bavaria (peacefully - a plus for being Catholic), Brandenburg and Hansa (almost no stability drop due to different religions). Thuringen used to be with me, but it hated me guts since I forcefully converted them back to Catholic faith.
Well, that's just to wet your appetite. What happened in the next few years would show the real face of Bohemia, but it's all in my aar anyway. Or coming soon, within 24 hours...Sorry, Ariel, you brought it up, couldn't keep from bragging.
But back to the subject: I agree on colonist issue. If you are not a colonial nation like Spain or France, being Catholic sucks in terms of overseas expansion. Of course, you could just wait until otherq establish themselves on the shores of the New World, and then attack their sorry asses, and get theso-much needed colonies without investing too much money in colonists.

Thanks again all. Your encouragement is always greatly appreciated. Following up on the latest comments:

Dawgboy: I was going to play a 'standard' English game and follow the mission suggestions - attempt to annex Hannover etc etc, but I decided that the majority of the German states just weren't wealthy enough, or geographically central enough, to warrant the time and effort involved in holding down a north German Empire at the very beginning of the game, or even a chain of vassal states. For the Empire, I would have had to conquer someone to gain a land-based foothold for the ensuing peaceful annexations, thereby annoying everyone else in the region and leaving myself open to the possibility of years of conflict with Poland-Lithuania, or mayber even Russia, as well as France. Plus, those Teutonic Knights are really arsey - they seem to go to war for a laugh, just to keep their hand in. The diplomatic method would have drawn me into wars with land-grabbers like Austria and France in order to preserve the alliance - again, very costly. And I wasn't up for the 'sit still, annoy no-one until I colonize the rest of the world' approach - I wanted to play a more proactive game than that. So, when I hit on the idea of having a go at the richer mediterranean states, it seemed like a good 'un. Seems to be working okay so far...

Wildwolf: Good points, well made, but with the game as it is I have several potential conversion-related problems. I strongly suspect that the second I switch to Protestant, I'll be faced with a swathe of rebellions in my (strongly Catholic) mediterranean provinces, not to mention Ireland and Scotland. Extra Settlers Good, yes, but I can't afford to police a large overseas Empire quite yet (Masse's - superb - AAR with Granada has demonstrated how often undefended trade posts get torched and colonies assimilated by the likes of Spain, Portugal and France - not to mention Granada). I'm building slowly with my presence in America, and will expand my operations there when my base is more secure. I want a city in Delaware to avoid having to ship troops before I start declaring my intentions in the region. Plus, most of the German states now hate me - all-conquering, imperialist bastard that I am - and so it would cost thousands to bring myself back into favour with them. Plus, most of them are regularly being attacked by or even attacking France - thus being likely to draw me back into a war every two or three years with the old enemy, something I've (so far) tried to avoid since surrendering Calais.

Genghis: France's butt is large and hairy, especially since they annexed a couple of their near neighbours. I'm concentrating on hanging on to what I've got for the time being. If France comes looking for a fight I'll give 'em one, but my income isn't quite high enough yet to be able to afford a full-on butt-kicking contest, especially as my main ally Spain now seems to be so tied up in the New World that I can't absolutely rely on them to keep the French busy for me while I do some damage. Plus, most of my forces seem to be in the mediterranean for some reason. I really don't fancy a 50,000 strong French invasion force crossing the channel. Nice to see you've had a go at the med yourself. So the Turks took Corsica, eh? That could be interesting - a potential platform for a strike into the heart of Europe, and not one that you'd want to try to attack yourself if it's properly defended. Bugger all forage, horrible attrition and not much income at the end of it all. I must admit the only reason I took it was in order to fully annexe Genoa. Despite their professed 1% revolt rate, the Corsican rebels seem to go off at suspiciously regular intervals. Keep hammering at the Italians mate, and do something about the Scots at some point - you can't afford to be watching your back forever.

Again, cheers all. Next installment after lunch, all being well.

Nalivayko : Missed your post while I was writing previous, but yes, a colonial land-grab may well be something worth considering for the not-too distant future. Letting the other nations establish themselves overseas and then conquering the heck out of them might be a cheaper alternative, if you can avoid too many Europe-based wars at the same time...

And I'll check out your Bohemian AAR as soon as I get the chance :)

I still say go get ragusa.. drop an army in ragusa and venice when the venetians are busy somewhere else... siege and take both then demand ragusa for a -3 start defecit peace and the venetians will allmost certainly not refuse, to be sure take the smallest venetian fort and then demand a -4 star peace which they cannot refuse. You dont have to bother with the venetian fleet. You just sail your fleet into position, wait untill there are no venetians in the same sea zone and then DOW them, land troops and run with your fleet.

As for the turks, let them DOW and take ragusa, you are still getting the colonists. While their multireligious nation will start showing cracks with respect to revolts way before you do and they will propose a white peace.

Viking: A good plan. If I get the opportunity, I shall see what I can do. Mind you, I'm reluctant to DOW Venice if I don't have to - simply because they are allied to both Poland and Hungary, who have a LOT of troops in the region, I'd wager. With any luck the whole lot of them will have another go at the Turks at some point which might give me an opportunity, although the heathens seem to spend most of their time fighting amongst themselves. We shall just have to wait and see... (he says, knowingly...)

As for converting to protestantism.. I have usually converted to protestant before luther finishes hammering the 95 theses on the cathedral door. As far as I see it there is no disadvantage to converting. The only two powers who are of any danger to england (france and spain) already have you in -150 -200 relations anyway, unless you gave them lots of cash. I say spend the cash on a buff home army and a buff home fleet and convert in 1515. Turn catholic and protestant tolerance up max and you can avoid most revolts. And start sending settlers. Yeah sure countries get the annoying -50 relations, but they all aready hate me cause I annexed scotland. Denmark usually has its own problems so they do not attack.. so the only NEW danger to a newly protestant england is the venice, hansa, portugal coalition that usually exists around that time. This usually gives me a chance to sack lisabon and gain portugese maps. So this is an advantage. There is also a reasonable chance of getting provinces from hansa with no BB effect cause they declared war on you.

In my world Henry never gets to be defender of the faith. Henry is in open defiance to the church when luther is still just musing about how to make the church better.