• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Are there any changes planned to the mobilisation system?

yes in fact I was supposed to write about it this dev diary, but it got a bit long and I forgot about it. here goes (also editing OP):

Mobilization Changes
Mobilization will now be capped based on the size of your standing army. How much depends on your ruling party's military policy. A pacifist party can mobilize as many as they have a standing army, whereas a fully jingoist party can mobilize up to 4 times their standing army.

If you meant where they go, mobilized units will also gather in rally points.

look below the factory on the map, ive never seen an airplane below a factory

Its a late game trade good which is why. we haven't changed those icons.

The number below the conservative party had indeed never been see by me before, what could that mean?

see future dev diary :)

Last edited:
and a redo of industry map symbols :O
What do you mean? As far as I can tell them aren't any different from current Victoria 2. Start the game at any province with a factory, the goods it produces are shown as symbols below it.
The screenshot in the DD is from 1914, and having aircraft factories then is normal.

Did I miss something? There's what looks like a ballot-box symbol underneath the word "Hull" in the first screenie. Not sure I've seen that before.

I like the idea of prestige-driven leaders. Is there a way for the starting prestige of a leader to be edited, via the traits they have?

Nice: RPs, faster recruitment and the split button are useful additions to the game. One more button to allow the upgrade from infantry to guards without an hell of micromanagement and you'll make me an happy man.

Leader Prestige
Leaders can now gain prestige though successful battles (and lose it if things go pear shaped). A prestigious and experienced leader will get more out of his troops resulting in a morale and organization bonuses. Prestige will also help us stop the current exploit of being able to move your best leader before every new battle. Removing a leader with high prestige from command without reassigning to a new army at his current location will incur a penalty on your countries prestige, meaning its not something you want to be doing very often. For modders out there, starting prestige is scriptable so famous generals can start with an advantage and armies can now also be scripted with their historically correct leaders.

This sounds reasonable, but i fear it could be exploited anyway (at least for the little i know/i've understood about this feature): if you have 2 good commanders near to each other and merge their armies, one should become avaible. Then you split his future destination army (that's maybe even in a different continent), leaving just one regiment with the old commander, and assign all the rest to the free one. So you've teleported a good commander without actually removing anyone from his charge.
This is the most byzantine way i can think, but people are creative when it comes to exploiting. Doesn't appear a real danger in SP, where you decide if and how cheat the system, but could bring some headache in MP (note: i'm not complaining, i just play SP).

Edit: maybe this could be solved with a reassignment cooldown or lowering the org of an army getting a new commander, to represent the HQ having to deal with his new directives and the commander himself having to be updated about the situation on the field, of the supplies, reinforcements and other aspects of that particular theatre.

Last edited:
This sounds reasonable, but i fear it could be exploited anyway (at least for the little i know/i've understood about this feature): if you have 2 good commanders near to each other and merge their armies, one should become avaible. Then you split his future destination army (that's maybe even in a different continent), leaving just one regiment with the old commander, and assign all the rest to the free one. So you've teleported a good commander without actually removing anyone from his charge.
This is the most byzantine way i can think, but people are creative when it comes to exploiting. Doesn't appear a real danger in SP, where you decide if and how cheat the system, but could bring some headache in MP (note: i'm not complaining, i just play SP).
In which case you aren't "reassigning to a new army at (their) current location", and you will receive the national prestige penalty (if I have read it correctly).

Some nice features and a useful solution to lag, but if this is the military update to the game then I'm disappointed as it didn't address the many issues including balance, realism and game play fun. The military side of the game is poor compared to other paradox titles, but perhaps there is another DD or work that will address these issues.

Some nice features and a useful solution to lag, but if this is the military update to the game then I'm disappointed as it didn't address the many issues including balance, realism and game play fun. The military side of the game is poor compared to other paradox titles, but perhaps there is another DD or work that will address these issues.

examples?

If you meant where they go, mobilized units will also gather in rally points.
Couldn't that cause atrocious attrition for larger nations by going over the province supply limit? I remember one of my earliest games as Japan where I clicked the mobilise button and I has stacks of 150 000 men in provinces with a supply limit of 60. A third of my mobilised forces died of attrition before they could reach the enemy :(

Perhaps some sort of recruiting centre province building would be warranted?

In which case you aren't "reassigning to a new army at (their) current location", and you will receive the national prestige penalty (if I have read it correctly).

I'm not sure that the penalty will fire, since you'll free one merging 2 armies, not removing him, a process can't be penalized without punishing legitimate merges... that's why i consider hard to really avoid this kind of behaviour.

Couldn't that cause atrocious attrition for larger nations by going over the province supply limit? I remember one of my earliest games as Japan where I clicked the mobilise button and I has stacks of 150 000 men in provinces with a supply limit of 60. A third of my mobilised forces died of attrition before they could reach the enemy :(

Perhaps some sort of recruiting centre province building would be warranted?

But you don't have to set rally points

The grouping of units per continent in the military screen is just pure awesome. No need to run around the map and check every province's name when I have to recruit troops.

A pacifist party can mobilize as many as they have a standing army, whereas a fully jingoist party can mobilize up to 4 times their standing army.
'Up to' you say, hopefully that means a return to some sort of user control over mobilisation (or partial mobilisation, perhaps even geographically based mobilisation) as existed in Victoria 1?

Edit: How about separating military supply costs from overseas maintenance costs in the Budget screen?

Last edited:
Did I miss something? There's what looks like a ballot-box symbol underneath the word "Hull" in the first screenie. Not sure I've seen that before.

its an indicator for party loyalty. you can hover your mouse over it to get information about your voters. see DD 4

I'm not sure that the penalty will fire, since you'll free one merging 2 armies, not removing him, a process can't be penalized without punishing legitimate merges... that's why i consider hard to really avoid this kind of behaviour.

if you merge in thus free up a general you can exploit a tiny bit, but:
1. the highest prestige general will be selected as running the army, so cant teleport him, only the other general.
2. you had to move them both there in the first place so if you are fighting on two fronts its not really very practical to do this.